Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The Defense has some major issues as well
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
1.  The pass rush has not been effective this year.  Bottom line

2.  This defense Quit against Tennessee.  Henry made these guys look like a grown man playing against pee wee league

3.-This team needs veteran leadership. There is no leader on this defense especially in the LB group and secondary
(12-09-2018, 01:53 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]1.  The pass rush has not been effective this year.  Bottom line

2.  This defense Quit against Tennessee.  Henry made these guys look like a grown man playing against pee wee league

3.-This team needs veteran leadership. There is no leader on this defense especially in the LB group and secondary
1. We are not in the lead of most games as we where last year. That effects the rush.

2. I Dont think they quit. I think the DC had no clue what to expect with Henry running. and then just as with the OC and HC he did not adjust at halftime to stop it. the bane of this coaching staff not knowing how to adjust to injuries and halftime game adjustments.

3. Calais is a vetern leader. But i think your right need Good leadership or at least someone smart enough to make sure everyone is in the right place with the LBS
(12-09-2018, 01:53 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]1.  The pass rush has not been effective this year.  Bottom line

Defensive issues reside more within coaching, scheme and individual underachievement by players. 

I don't think talent is a problem.  They could upgrade a spot or two, but the defense is largely just fine from a personnel standpoint. 

The stat line on the pass rush does not tell the whole story. 

Pressure was not bad at all in most games even if sacks were down. 
You have to account for the number of offensive coordinators that the Jags faced who had a great gameplan ready to pick apart the weak spots in Wash's zone coverages. Wash's failure to adjust in some of those situations coupled with individual players creating huge busts in coverage by being stupid make it much tougher for the pass rush to get home. A good portion of those zone-dissecting passes came in the form of quick stuff over the middle. You aren't going to get sacks on that stuff. Add in the number of mobile QBs on the schedule and that sack number gets lower still. 

Any concern about the defensive roster should be minor and focused upon the LB scheme and personnel - as well as who will replace whichever overpriced vet they have to release to save cap $. 

I'd be more concerned with who will be coordinating the unit than the unit itself.

The leadership thing is a largely a non-issue to me. I mean the LB room could use someone smarter than Telvin probably, and the secondary could use a little reeling in, but I don't think it really plays into the defensive performance much at all. Better coaching should be able to cut down the stupid penalties and reel in some of the immaturity.

I disagree. Telvin Smith is the heart and soul of the defense, and is the leader of the defense. He is just bad in coverage.

Malik Jackson has just completely fell off. And it ended up costing him his job.
(12-09-2018, 03:17 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: [ -> ]

1. We are not in the lead of most games as we where last year. That effects the rush.

2. I Dont think they quit. I think the DC had no clue what to expect with Henry running. and then just as with the OC and HC he did not adjust at halftime to stop it. the bane of this coaching staff not knowing how to adjust to injuries and halftime game adjustments.

3. Calais is a vetern leader. But i think your right need Good leadership or at least someone smart enough to make sure everyone is in the right place with the LBS

That is the main problem right there. Wash has a ton of talent on his side of the football and has no clue what to do with it. He needs to go.
(12-09-2018, 07:31 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-09-2018, 03:17 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: [ -> ]1. We are not in the lead of most games as we where last year. That effects the rush.

That is the main problem right there. Wash has a ton of talent on his side of the football and has no clue what to do with it. He needs to go.

So how would you change things?
218lbs bad in coverage what a stud. He used to remind me of a mini Derrick Brooks but blows every coverage now.
In a passing league isn't having a LB that can play cover a massive liability? That's a skill set issue, we have a small LB that can't cover in the zone and can't cover TE or RB in man coverage.

Our stud DT Campbell that was the difference maker last year is starting to slow down, which is expected as he's coming near the end of his career in a year or two if not sooner. The big free agent DT Jackson we signed has been outplayed by the rookie DT that looks lost at times, let that sink in. Yannick is still a stud on the end but he's getting double teamed since we shipped off Fowler and there's no threat from anyone else on the line.

In the secondary our free agent Safeties are useless, the rookie Safety looks promising but so did those liabilities playing LB in the early part of their career.

Yea we have big underlying problems on defense, but they pail in comparison to the total rebuild we're facing on offense. IMO we need to switch to a 3-4 defense almost full time next year, Fowler was prefect for a 3-4 so it's a damn shame we didn't utilize him in that role while he was here but whatever he was a locker room problem so I get it. I think if we switch to a 3-4 we only need 2-3 role players and we can be competitive on defense just find next year, but all this talk of top 5 defense is ridiculous we're going to be average at best. We have to build a powerhouse offense that's the game today.
(12-09-2018, 07:37 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-09-2018, 07:31 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]That is the main problem right there. Wash has a ton of talent on his side of the football and has no clue what to do with it. He needs to go.

So how would you change things?

Hire a new DC.
The defense is still stacked but there are miscasted players abound. Our biggest issues are DT bulk/size and possessing an ideal MLB. Telvin would be all pro if not for having to cover for weak MLB play. Jack would also be better on the outside. Heck, we saw proof when we had a true MLB. As far as DTs, we need another Darius/Jones. Those two should be side by side nearly every down. Let a third DT or big end swap in on run plays. This team gets caught light over and over on big run plays.
(12-11-2018, 10:11 AM)B2hibry Wrote: [ -> ]The defense is still stacked but there are miscasted players abound. Our biggest issues are DT bulk/size and possessing an ideal MLB. Telvin would be all pro if not for having to cover for weak MLB play. Jack would also be better on the outside. Heck, we saw proof when we had a true MLB. As far as DTs, we need another Darius/Jones. Those two should be side by side nearly every down. Let a third DT or big end swap in on run plays. This team gets caught light over and over on big run plays.

I agree with this.  Jack seems lost most of the time in the middle.  Much better on the outside.
(12-11-2018, 10:11 AM)B2hibry Wrote: [ -> ]The defense is still stacked but there are miscasted players abound. Our biggest issues are DT bulk/size and possessing an ideal MLB. Telvin would be all pro if not for having to cover for weak MLB play. Jack would also be better on the outside. Heck, we saw proof when we had a true MLB. As far as DTs, we need another Darius/Jones. Those two should be side by side nearly every down. Let a third DT or big end swap in on run plays. This team gets caught light over and over on big run plays.

Telvin's been a lot worse than Jack this year. I don't buy the notion he'd be an all pro if not for having to cover up for Jacks play
(12-12-2018, 08:38 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]

I agree with this.  Jack seems lost most of the time in the middle.  Much better on the outside.

Agreed.

A guy I like a lot in the upcoming draft is a run stuffing a NT from Texas A&M, Daylon Mack. He's a 6'1" 320 lb. Senior who dominates the middle of the LOS. He totaled 9.5 TFL and shows the ability to rush the passer as well with 5.5 sacks. I believe he would be a solid 4-6 round selection. He reminds me of a bulkier version of Jurrell Casey.
(12-10-2018, 10:37 PM)EricC85 Wrote: [ -> ]In a passing league isn't having a LB that can play cover a massive liability? That's a skill set issue, we have a small LB that can't cover in the zone and can't cover TE or RB in man coverage.

Our stud DT Campbell that was the difference maker last year is starting to slow down, which is expected as he's coming near the end of his career in a year or two if not sooner. The big free agent DT Jackson we signed has been outplayed by the rookie DT that looks lost at times, let that sink in. Yannick is still a stud on the end but he's getting double teamed since we shipped off Fowler and there's no threat from anyone else on the line.

In the secondary our free agent Safeties are useless, the rookie Safety looks promising but so did those liabilities playing LB in the early part of their career.

Yea we have big underlying problems on defense, but they pail in comparison to the total rebuild we're facing on offense. IMO we need to switch to a 3-4 defense almost full time next year, Fowler was prefect for a 3-4 so it's a damn shame we didn't utilize him in that role while he was here but whatever he was a locker room problem so I get it. I think if we switch to a 3-4 we only need 2-3 role players and we can be competitive on defense just find next year, but all this talk of top 5 defense is ridiculous we're going to be average at best. We have to build a powerhouse offense that's the game today.

Switching to a 3-4 won't work if you don't have the talent for it. The Jaguars only have two or three LBs and no real NT. At one time Dareus might have been a decent NT, but those years are probably behind him now. It takes a truly special player to pull off that key role. 

(12-09-2018, 03:17 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: [ -> ]1. We are not in the lead of most games as we where last year. That effects the rush.

He has to have some clue considering the team still has the #2 pass defense. If only they could tackle better.

(12-09-2018, 07:31 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]That is the main problem right there. Wash has a ton of talent on his side of the football and has no clue what to do with it. He needs to go.

He has to have some clue considering the team still has the #2 pass defense. If only they could tackle better.

That can probably be attributed more to our DB's coach Perry Fewell, because our run defense sucks.
I wish they would play Brown at MLB in 4-3. Brown isn't great but has never really played bad and Jack is much better on the outside. I like Jacob's but I want Jack out there
(12-13-2018, 09:17 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]I wish they would play Brown at MLB in 4-3. Brown isn't great but has never really played bad and Jack is much better on the outside. I like Jacob's but I want Jack out there

I don't think Jack playing Sam for like 8 snaps a game would change much.. especially considering he's our best coverage backer

The crazy thing about the NFL is, had this post been submitted after the Jags-Colts 6-0 game we would have all laughed.

Wash was doing just fine in 2017. I think the bottom line is this.

Campbell had 14.5 sacks last year. We all knew he would never do this again. 

Jackson had 7 sacks last year. This year he flat out quit, with just 1 sack.

Yannick had double digit sacks, and 5 or 6 Forced Fumbles. This year he is being chipped and doubled.

Fowler had 8 sacks and a few forced fumbles is not even on the team anymore. Nobody has come close to replacing him. Terrible move to let him walk.

Yes Telvin is bad in coverage but our defense works great when our Dline is hitting the QB. We had 7 defensive TDs last year, and again we all knew that wouldn’t happen this year.

Last year Bouye low key outplayed Ramsey. This year both have been hurt.

This is just the defensive side of the ball. Don’t get me started about letting, not one, but two 1k wide receivers walk, and replacing them with Moncrief. Pfffft 

With Bortles finally sinking like we all knew he would, this team is honestly in full rebuild mode.

We need to stop ignoring the TE position. And for Pete’s sake, get me a QB that has a natural release that can throw the ball down field.

I’m happy with Fournette, Linder, Robinson, and Flowers on offense. Lee will get a chance to come back, but go get a big time WR. Chark ain’t gonna cut it, and neither is Cole.

Marrone is still the man for the job.
Pages: 1 2