Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Dareus or Gipson
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
The Jaguars brass will have some tough decisions regarding the roster this off-season. The consensus opinion is that Jackson, Church, Parnell and Bortles are likely cut and Yeldon will move on to another team. Calais Campbell still has too much to offer so he stays at least one more season. If either Marcell Dareus or Tashaun Gipson need to be cut, which guy would you keep? As it stands now, Dareus will cost about 10.5 million for next season with no cap hit if he's cut and Gipson will make about 9 million but the Jags would take a 1.6 million hit to their cap if he's cut. Both guys are 28 years old, certainly young enough to play for at least 3 or 4 more years at a high level. Which guy to you keep?
I dont see neither going anywhere nor do I see Parnell getting cut unless we draft a tackle early. Cutting Blake, Church, and Jackson will be enough to get us under the cap. Next year when Dareus cap hit goes to 14.6 mil is when he will get cut or restructure. We will go offense early so Gip is safe too. Next year we can draft their replacements
Definitely Gibson
Gipson is more likely to be cut in 2020 than this offseason. (if he's even cut then) They aren't going to tie up an early draft pick on a safety IMO and I don't think they want any of their current back up safeties starting in 2019 at FS.
The only longshot there would be if they are quietly working/planning to convert a back-up CB to FS. I doubt that too.

I think they'll at least try to restructure Dareus, but he stays as well.

Jackson and Church clear a lot of cap space.
Parnell could be cut or restructured. Depends on the draft and what they think about Richardson.
If Walker is back at LT and Flowers moves to RT with Parnell hurt and plays better then Parnell, we can get rid of him and keep flowers at RT

Ment Wells not Walker
(12-14-2018, 01:44 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: [ -> ]If Walker is back at LT and Flowers moves to RT with Parnell hurt and plays better then Parnell, we can get rid of him and keep flowers at RT

Flowers is not going to do anything better than Parnell IMO. 

Wells is coming off IR this week though. He'll be worth watching in all of this, but he'll need a new deal next year. He's really just solid depth IMO.

I don't think Walker or Flowers figure into any plans beyond the last few games of this season.
(12-14-2018, 01:47 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-14-2018, 01:44 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: [ -> ]If Walker is back at LT and Flowers moves to RT with Parnell hurt and plays better then Parnell, we can get rid of him and keep flowers at RT

Flowers is not going to do anything better than Parnell IMO. 

Wells is coming off IR this week though. He'll be worth watching in all of this, but he'll need a new deal next year. He's really just solid depth IMO.

I don't think Walker or Flowers figure into any plans beyond the last few games of this season.

I read Doug was personally working with Flowers trying to improve him some.
This has to be a joke.

Gipson is slightly above average.
(12-14-2018, 01:56 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-14-2018, 01:47 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Flowers is not going to do anything better than Parnell IMO. 

I read Doug was personally working with Flowers trying to improve him some.

Flowers gets a bit of push in the run game.  He gets beaten like a drum by pass rushers with any kind of speed move though. I don't know if Marrone (or anyone) has got enough coaching mojo to fix that level of poor protection.
(12-14-2018, 01:57 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: [ -> ]This has to be a joke.

As positive as you are with an overwhelming number of your posts I am absolutely shocked you would say this.
(12-14-2018, 02:46 PM)Rico Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-14-2018, 01:57 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: [ -> ]This has to be a joke.

As positive as you are with an overwhelming number of your posts I am absolutely shocked you would say this.

And I am as shocked that you are here quoting me
(12-14-2018, 02:49 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-14-2018, 02:46 PM)Rico Wrote: [ -> ]As positive as you are with an overwhelming number of your posts I am absolutely shocked you would say this.

And I am as shocked that you are here quoting me

Look, if you ever need any time off, just let me know.

I can easily post your input on just about any thread.  It's always the same.
With the development of Taven Bryan and our 1st round draft pick this season (Ed Oliver), we won't need to spend on Dareus.

Ment Wells not Walker

Flowers and Walker need to go. The only reason they were even playing is because we were desperate and they had a pulse.
(12-14-2018, 03:46 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]

Ment Wells not Walker

Flowers and Walker need to go. The only reason they were even playing is because we were desperate and they had a pulse.

This ^^^^ to the one millionth degree... Any talk of keeping these scrubs as a starter should be burned at the stake. lol If they want to stay as 3rd stringers, all good. And we definitely need to keep Dareus. I love Gip, but if it comes down to one of the two, I think Gip gotta go. But honestly, I think we should keep both of them.
Gipson has actually played well this year. Especially against the TE. The majority of busts have been on Church or in his vicinity.
(12-14-2018, 03:23 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]With the development of Taven Bryan and our 1st round draft pick this season (Ed Oliver), we won't need to spend on Dareus.

If Oliver is still on the board when the Jaguars pick somewhere in the top 10 he would likely be the BPA. I just don't see how the Jaguars could pass on their top-rated quarterback still available. Therefore, this is an example where need exceeds value. It's hard for me to believe that between Haskins, Herbert, Lock and Grier that the Jaguars won't have the opportunity to grab a potential franchise quarterback. At this point, barring possible trade-up scenerios, the Jags will have the opportunity to select no worse than their 2nd highest rated quarterback. Whomever that may be, it would be a better option than overpaying for someone like Stafford, Flacco or Bridgewater. They certainly could find a reasonably priced "bridge" quarterback in free-agency if they feel Kessler does not cut it. 

As far as my original question, I would likely prefer Gipson. This draft is very deep at defensive tackle and I believe they could find a run-stopper at this position in the 3rd round. Gipson has played well and I'd like the team to have the continuity in the secondary with Ramsay, Bouye, Gipson, Harrison and Hayden. If Dareus would agree to re-structure his contract, it would be an added bonus since he has played very well in his stint as a Jaguar.
Restructure Dareus if possible and let Gibson go.
While I would love the Oliver pick, the Jags need a QB first. Hell I hope they pick another QB in 2020 too.
The Honey Badger is a FA and we can pay him long term. IMO the Honey Badger is a fit from the start and can play at the line and as a ball hawk. Gibson while better this year, has not played to what I thought was "probowl caliber" during his stay. That's why he got paid and that's with the defensive line we have/had.
(12-14-2018, 05:42 PM)JAGFAN4EVER! Wrote: [ -> ]Restructure Dareus if possible and let Gibson go.
While I would love the Oliver pick, the Jags need a QB first. Hell I hope they pick another QB in 2020 too.
The Honey Badger is a FA and we can pay him long term. IMO the Honey Badger is a fit from the start and can play at the line and as a ball hawk. Gibson while better this year, has not played to what I thought was "probowl caliber" during his stay. That's why he got paid and that's with the defensive line we have/had.

I agree about trying to restructure Dareus. My question regarding Gip, is who are we replacing him with? I think restructuring both of them could be beneficial; if they are willing.
(12-14-2018, 05:44 PM)jvillejagsn1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-14-2018, 05:42 PM)JAGFAN4EVER! Wrote: [ -> ]Restructure Dareus if possible and let Gibson go.

I agree about trying to restructure Dareus. My question regarding Gip, is who are we replacing him with? I think restructuring both of them could be beneficial; if they are willing.

A free agent named Tyrann Mathieu. He is younger than Gibson and can play both as a FS and at the line of scrimmage. So the flexibility for him and Harrison would be great, along with being a veteran player that can help Campbell on the defensive side of the ball with showing the younger guys how it's done. If they can pull him away from the Tacks in free agency that would be awesome. Just an idea of course.
Pages: 1 2 3