Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Dave Caldwell’s Pride Cost Us Our Season
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Dave Caldwell doubles down on Blake Bortles because he was his draft pick. He knows this team was built on running the ball and defense. He didn’t bring any legitimate competition through free agency or the draft. He deserves to be fired. He’s whiffed too hard and often. It’s disgusting he still has a job.
Absolutely. When they hired Coughlin on last year I thought it was nearly a done deal with Caldwell being canned. I suppose he was given the benefit of the doubt. And they were able to pin all of their heartache onto Gus Bradley.

But IMHO. If you have to go out and hire someone like Coughlin to fill the position he's in now. Clearly somebody had to have [BLEEP] up along the lines in that building. And it really starts with David Caldwell. I can't imagine this team going beyond much further when we near the end of this month with Caldwell, Marrone and Wash still apart of the future.

Just can't see it. I don't know how Khan and Coughlin will be able to look at themselves in the mirror if they honestly believe they can sell their season ticket holders on the idea that 2018 was just a fluke. There's no [BLEEP] way that's possible now.

All of the blown assignments on defense. The poor play on offense. The changes made at QB and OC STILL yielding essentially the same [BLEEP] we've seen throughout most of the year on offense. It's just not a good enough excuse. Injuries suck. Injuries happen. But we all have jobs to do.

This coaching staff from top down this year has failed miserably. They lacked creativity once the rest of the NFL caught onto our style of 1978 power football on offense. It's embarrassing. Marrone is nothing more than a slightly better version of Mike Mularkey. And that may be too generous at this point.

I am no longer convinced he's the man for the job. I hope he's either canned or he flakes out in year two as the HC and bails on his own like he did the Bills a few years ago. Too basic. Need a forward thinking headcoach that can truly balance, manage and innovate this offense to today's NFL standards.

We're already fixing to eat [BLEEP] on the defensive side of the football starting in a few weeks and moving forward into 2019. Might as well try to counter balance that by going top heavy on offense early and often. Something they should have done earlier this year back in April.
(12-15-2018, 03:28 AM)haveaseat Wrote: [ -> ]Dave Caldwell doubles down on Blake Bortles because he was his draft pick. He knows this team was built on running the ball and defense. He didn’t bring any legitimate competition through free agency or the draft. He deserves to be fired. He’s whiffed too hard and often. It’s disgusting he still has a job.

That's his Achilles' heel. I think the mark of a top-notch GM is the ability to quickly acknowledge mistakes and cut bait. Everyone, even Ozzie Newsome, has about the same batting average with drafting busts. 

By the way, I think the Jaguars should buy a second lotto ticket this time after three consecutive strikeouts w/Leftwich, Gabbert, and Bortles. It worked out for the Redskins (partially) with Cousins and RG3, although they didn't realize Cousins was the better of the two at first. Same goes for the Cowgirls in drafting Aikman and Walsh.
Here's a little secret: When you sign a quarterback to a $54 million contract a few weeks after he had two fantastic games in the playoffs against top level competition, you don't then start signing other players to directly compete against him. That would be sending all the wrong messages; "Here's $26.5 million guaranteed, and by the way, we still don't think you're going to be the man in future so we're going to pay/draft this other dude as well."
(12-15-2018, 06:04 AM)DragonFury Wrote: [ -> ]Here's a little secret: When you sign a quarterback to a $54 million contract a few weeks after he had two fantastic games in the playoffs against top level competition, you don't then start signing other players to directly compete against him. That would be sending all the wrong messages; "Here's $26.5 million guaranteed, and by the way, we still don't think you're going to be the man in future so we're going to pay/draft this other dude as well."

Disagree a GM role is to consitently bring in talent. I don't care what position it is. And wasn't Blake's contract already structed as a yea here's an extension but you have to prove it still to get all this. Caldwell's always had a problem with arrogance that is his downfall and his team is arrogant while sucking to make it even better. I've never seen a roster this bad tell me they where that good.
(12-15-2018, 03:28 AM)haveaseat Wrote: [ -> ]Dave Caldwell doubles down on Blake Bortles because he was his draft pick. He knows this team was built on running the ball and defense. He didn’t bring any legitimate competition through free agency or the draft. He deserves to be fired. He’s whiffed too hard and often. It’s disgusting he still has a job.

I think Caldwell did suffer from a bit of hubris. And with Bortles, it wasn't as clear cut early on because he did have a tremendous amount of athletic ability and would have games where you'd think if he could develop some consistency he'd be a franchise level QB. He never did though and that player tends to color the perception of everything else Caldwell did.
(12-15-2018, 06:29 AM)EricC85 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-15-2018, 06:04 AM)DragonFury Wrote: [ -> ]Here's a little secret: When you sign a quarterback to a $54 million contract a few weeks after he had two fantastic games in the playoffs against top level competition, you don't then start signing other players to directly compete against him. That would be sending all the wrong messages; "Here's $26.5 million guaranteed, and by the way, we still don't think you're going to be the man in future so we're going to pay/draft this other dude as well."

Disagree a GM role is to consitently bring in talent. I don't care what position it is. And wasn't Blake's contract already structed as a yea here's an extension but you have to prove it still to get all this. Caldwell's always had a problem with arrogance that is his downfall and his team is arrogant while sucking to make it even better. I've never seen a roster this bad tell me they where that good.

Talk about hyperbole.
I love how Dave's boss is somehow absent in all of this Bortles talk.

Tom Coughlin had to approve it, people. And I'm still waiting on the "he was talked into it" crowd to show me a shred of evidence to support that rumor. Smells like a load of crap to me.
Tom also gets a share of the blame in the Fournette pick and the neglect of the O-Line.
(12-15-2018, 08:36 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I love how Dave's boss is somehow absent in all of this Bortles talk.

Tom Coughlin had to approve it, people. And I'm still waiting on the "he was talked into it" crowd to show me a shred of evidence to support that rumor.  Smells like a load of crap to me.
Tom also gets a share of the blame in the Fournette pick and the neglect of the O-Line.
Thank you!

Coughlin is more to blame here than anyone. If he truly is the end all be all, he deserves the blame.
Coughlin isn't more to blame, he wasn't here for the missed Joeckel/Bortles/Fowler picks or the Beadles/Julius Thomas/Ivory/etc FA disasters...but he gets a healthy share of it. Both of them should go.
(12-15-2018, 09:07 AM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]Coughlin isn't more to blame, he wasn't here for the missed Joeckel/Bortles/Fowler picks or the Beadles/Julius Thomas/Ivory/etc FA disasters...but he gets a healthy share of it. Both of them should go.
I agree. But the original post is about doubling down on Blake. That action goes to Coughlin and not Caldwell if the team truly does go through Tom.
(12-15-2018, 08:36 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I love how Dave's boss is somehow absent in all of this Bortles talk.

Tom Coughlin had to approve it, people. And I'm still waiting on the "he was talked into it" crowd to show me a shred of evidence to support that rumor.  Smells like a load of crap to me.

Finally.

I'm not a Caldwell apologist but I really can't believe how much of a pass Coughlin gets.
It was after he arrived that they gave Bortles the 5th year option and then extended him the following season.
The Fournette pick.

But more about him: discipline.
Coughlin arrived with final say on everything. And he made sure to point out that he would be "living in the shoes" of the coaching staff.(his words not mine) He's there at almost all the meetings.
He's there on the field for training camp and practices (remember when he was the one starting directly at the Fowler-Ngakoue fight?)

Everyone praising him for bringing discipline and all that but this season where discipline went out of the window the only one I see blamed is Marrone. Who is the HC and gets the blame of course but why Coughlin who oversees all that and is at strict contact with players gets the pass? He's the one with the reputation of tight discpline on the team and yet not once I see him questioned for that.

We don't even get to have an explanation on some of the things they do, Coughlin/Caldwell just don't talk during the season and it's always just Marrone that has to put the face on everything, even on front office decisions such as keeping, releasing players or on how players are being disciplined as he always have to say "it's handled internally". He can't always speak for those above him and there are times where you can clearly see he can't go too in-depth without involving the men above him.

The season went down the toilet due to multiple causes: QB situation, injuries (I don't usually blame these but this season has hit where we were more vulnerable and opposite of where the league is going), unfixed coaching issues. And they are all to blame and whilel Caldwell, Marrone and the staff get their fair share somewhat Coughlin, the man who has total control over this team and has approved the direction of the ship the past 2 years is rarely criticized, if not at all.

I don't think the offensive line was neglected.  We signed an All-Pro guard to a big contract.  That was our most expensive and notable offseason acquisition. That's hardly neglecting the offensive line.   

The problem with the offensive line is they all got injured.

Secondly, I disagree with everyone who's down on Fournette. His problem is, he doesn't have an offensive line in front of him. They all got injured.

Your idea of fantastic is obviously different than the definition of the word, but that isn't surprising.
(12-15-2018, 10:13 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]

Your idea of fantastic is obviously different than the definition of the word, but that isn't surprising.

94.1 QB rating against the #2 seed and 98.5 rating against the #1 seed. I think you need to adjust your definition of fantastic if that doesn't cut it. The prevailing opinion after the AFCCG was that turning away from Bortles in the second half cost us the game, that's the level of play we're talking about.

Disagree.  I think going conservative of the 2nd half of the Pats game left the Jags with an false sense of optimism that Bortles may be able to lead this team to the SB.   Think about this, Bortles played well vs the Steelers and vs the Pats in the 1st half, then (just prior to the 1st half, they pulled the plug on Bortles for the remainder of the game).  Had the Jags continued to run their more open offense they would have know whether Bortles could be a closer or not.  I think the "UNKNOWN" that was left on the table last year resulted in the Jags decision to roll the dice on Bortles for another year; not sure why they extended his contract through 2019 though.
How in the Sam hell does a mans pride cause all those injuries? You know? The real reason that the team faltered this season.
(12-15-2018, 11:00 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]

not sure why they extended his contract through 2019 though.

Because they needed to spread the cap hit through three years in order to feel any kind of real benefit in 2018. Bortles' contract was clearly set up to lower his 2018 cap hit while still allowing the team to cut him in 2019 without suffering any real penalty on the 2019 cap. If he had continued to perform in 2018, all the better but that clearly hasn't happened and the team can now move forward without being hamstrung too much.
Just to keep this discussion real, look at the Eagles who benched the Super Bowl MVP for their supposedly franchise QB who, like Fournette and a myriad of other players on our team, has been plagued by unforeseen injuries. The front offices across the league are constantly hedging bets.

I am in the camp that believed Bortles was THAT bad the first time he showed us. He should never have been our starting quarterback. Ever.

But apparently he showed somebody something I did not see. They are the experts in charge, I am not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They should've never signed him to the extension. Two fantastic games or not, the guy had a history of erratic and uneven play throughout his career. Extension or not, when you have a QB like this, you better have a good backup plan. We had none. Message or not, by not signing some QB competition, we really screwed ourselves. If the QB you have is such a mental case that a little competition is gonna break him, you have the wrong QB. There is just no arguing this point. This is a QB driven league. Failure at that position leads to failure of the team in one way or another.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5