Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Who's our RB's next year??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Yeldon is gone, Grant is UFA, and Fournette is looking like a bust and can't stay healthy and on top of that we ship off Bo Scarborogh.
We need to upgrade the Oline.

I'm not a fan of LF, but he will be there next season. I hope we can re-sign Grant.

LF / Hyde / Grant
I think it will be Fournette and Hyde. I know everyone thinks that Hyde is gone, but it just seems idiotic for them to trade a 5th for him just to cut bait when we haven't even tried to use him much. With a better Oline, he could be a good #2 and insurance for Fournette with his injuries. They might bring Grant back as well.
(12-19-2018, 02:20 PM)KingJones Wrote: [ -> ]Yeldon is gone, Grant is UFA, and Fournette is looking like a bust and can't stay healthy and on top of that we ship off Bo Scarborogh.

Scarborough was poached, not shipped off. 

Grant is coming off a pretty terrible injury. He's not going to have a crazy market - if they want to re-sign him, they can probably do that now reasonably.  

Carlos Hyde can be kept for 4.75 mil if they get an OC that knows how to incorporate his skill set. 

Fournette and Williams will be in camp to compete with whomever is acquired in the late rounds. (where they SHOULD be looking for backs in the first place) 

RB is so far down the list of concerns/priorities - I don't really care. Just get OC/OL/QB sorted and RB will sort itself out IMO.
I want a shifty 5'10", 205lb back with some agility. That'd be nice to see.
(12-19-2018, 02:26 PM)jvillejagsn1 Wrote: [ -> ]I think it will be Fournette and Hyde. I know everyone thinks that Hyde is gone, but it just seems idiotic for them to trade a 5th for him just to cut bait when we haven't even tried to use him much. With a better Oline, he could be a good #2 and insurance for Fournette with his injuries. They might bring Grant back as well.

It's more of Hyde not wanting to be here.  He wants to be a feature back but that won't happen if LF is healthy.
Fournette will be the starter, Hyde will be the #2.
(12-19-2018, 02:45 PM)KingJones Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-19-2018, 02:26 PM)jvillejagsn1 Wrote: [ -> ]I think it will be Fournette and Hyde. I know everyone thinks that Hyde is gone, but it just seems idiotic for them to trade a 5th for him just to cut bait when we haven't even tried to use him much. With a better Oline, he could be a good #2 and insurance for Fournette with his injuries. They might bring Grant back as well.

It's more of Hyde not wanting to be here.  He wants to be a feature back but that won't happen if LF is healthy.

He's under contract. What he wants doesn't matter. If he wants to start and they don't release him - then he's got to beat out Fournette to start.
I just don't see them paying Hyde almost 5 million. RB is a young mans game now. Take that 5 million and spend it on just about any other position. David Williams did just fine and so will a rookie RB next year.
(12-19-2018, 02:59 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]I just don't see them paying Hyde almost 5 million. RB is a young mans game now. Take that 5 million and spend it on just about any other position. David Williams did just fine and so will a rookie RB next year.
I would normally agree. But Fournette has proven he's very injury prone. And that hammy will probably carry throughout his career; if not for the next few years. The same applied thing happened with Lee didn't it?
(12-19-2018, 03:02 PM)jvillejagsn1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-19-2018, 02:59 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]I just don't see them paying Hyde almost 5 million. RB is a young mans game now. Take that 5 million and spend it on just about any other position. David Williams did just fine and so will a rookie RB next year.
I would normally agree. But Fournette has proven he's very injury prone. And that hammy will probably carry throughout his career; if not for the next few years. The same applied thing happened with Lee didn't it?
I think WR and RB are two completely different positions in terms of where you can find value. There's a reason that any RB the 49ers start, does well. McKinnon, Breida or Wilson Jr have all played well when they started. Most RB play is due in large part to the Oline. There are exceptions (Barkley) but if you have a good Oline, you can have a good run game. Last year for the Jags is another good example. Fournette missed games and the run game didn't miss a beat.

WRs however have a lot to do with the QB. If the Jags had competent QB play this season, I think you would have seen Westbrook and Moncrief (ugh he sucks) have better seasons. 

If I was the GM, I would let Hyde walk, take the 5 million and use it to help upgrade the Oline. Then spend a draft pick (3rd round or later) on a running back. Royce Freeman, Nyheim Hines, Ito Smith, Phillip Lindsay, Kallen Ballage, Chase Edmonds, Jordan Wilkins, John Kelly, Gus Edwards and Josh Adams are all RBs taken in the 2018 draft in the 3rd round or later. That's pretty impressive.
(12-19-2018, 03:12 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-19-2018, 03:02 PM)jvillejagsn1 Wrote: [ -> ]I would normally agree. But Fournette has proven he's very injury prone. And that hammy will probably carry throughout his career; if not for the next few years. The same applied thing happened with Lee didn't it?
I think WR and RB are two completely different positions in terms of where you can find value. There's a reason that any RB the 49ers start, does well. McKinnon, Breida or Wilson Jr have all played well when they started. Most RB play is due in large part to the Oline. There are exceptions (Barkley) but if you have a good Oline, you can have a good run game. Last year for the Jags is another good example. Fournette missed games and the run game didn't miss a beat.

WRs however have a lot to do with the QB. If the Jags had competent QB play this season, I think you would have seen Westbrook and Moncrief (ugh he sucks) have better seasons. 

If I was the GM, I would let Hyde walk, take the 5 million and use it to help upgrade the Oline. Then spend a draft pick (3rd round or later) on a running back. Royce Freeman, Nyheim Hines, Ito Smith, Phillip Lindsay, Kallen Ballage, Chase Edmonds, Jordan Wilkins, John Kelly, Gus Edwards and Josh Adams are all RBs taken in the 2018 draft in the 3rd round or later. That's pretty impressive.

You make some very valid points. Maybe that 5 mil in cap is more beneficial in other areas than at RB. It's just crazy how many changes or new assets we will need or get after having such a good year last year..... lol Makes me hate the Patriots and Steelers even more so! lol
LF will be our starter, and I think he will do great next season. He is good, just underappreciated.
(12-19-2018, 03:20 PM)jvillejagsn1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-19-2018, 03:12 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]I think WR and RB are two completely different positions in terms of where you can find value. There's a reason that any RB the 49ers start, does well. McKinnon, Breida or Wilson Jr have all played well when they started. Most RB play is due in large part to the Oline. There are exceptions (Barkley) but if you have a good Oline, you can have a good run game. Last year for the Jags is another good example. Fournette missed games and the run game didn't miss a beat.

You make some very valid points. Maybe that 5 mil in cap is more beneficial in other areas than at RB. It's just crazy how many changes or new assets we will need or get after having such a good year last year..... lol Makes me hate the Patriots and Steelers even more so! lol
I mean both of those teams just find RBs everywhere. Bell goes away and in comes 3rd round Conner? Then Jaylen Samuels?!

5 million for a backup RB is a lot. That's more than some backup QBs.
(12-19-2018, 03:23 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-19-2018, 03:20 PM)jvillejagsn1 Wrote: [ -> ]You make some very valid points. Maybe that 5 mil in cap is more beneficial in other areas than at RB. It's just crazy how many changes or new assets we will need or get after having such a good year last year..... lol Makes me hate the Patriots and Steelers even more so! lol
I mean both of those teams just find RBs everywhere. Bell goes away and in comes 3rd round Conner? Then Jaylen Samuels?!

Very true. I honestly liked the Fournette pick when we made it. But looking at it now, I think we should have went with another position; notably QB lol but can't change it now. Any chance they look to trade Fournette?
(12-19-2018, 03:25 PM)jvillejagsn1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-19-2018, 03:23 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]I mean both of those teams just find RBs everywhere. Bell goes away and in comes 3rd round Conner? Then Jaylen Samuels?!

Very true. I honestly liked the Fournette pick when we made it. But looking at it now, I think we should have went with another position; notably QB lol but can't change it now. Any chance they look to trade Fournette?
I think they may look but ultimately, won't get back what they want. The pick was bad when they made it but they made it and he's on the team. I think he's on the team next year and after that, it's David Williams and rookies.

Agreed.
(12-19-2018, 03:20 PM)Calmecac Wrote: [ -> ]LF will be our starter, and I think he will do great next season. He is good, just underappreciated.

No. He's decent. An average NFL running back.

He was overvalued by the FO. He should have been a round 3 or 4 pick.

We appreciate his 3.7 YPC just fine.
The overreaction on LF is bordering lunacy at this point, starting to think ya'll are trolling or some of you really are missing something very obvious about our team.

Our offensive coordinator sucks [BLEEP].
Our QB sucks [BLEEP].
Our Offensive line sucks [BLEEP].

Barry Freakin Sanders would look average on this team. Ya'll tripping. LF was a bad pick because of his position and our need at QB. Not because he's a bad RB. Is he the best? No obviously there's better RBs in the league, notably Kamara who was taken in the same draft 2 rounds later. But hindsight always 20/20.
(12-19-2018, 05:20 PM)Inziladun Wrote: [ -> ]The overreaction on LF is bordering lunacy at this point, starting to think ya'll are trolling or some of you really are missing something very obvious about our team.

Our offensive coordinator sucks [BLEEP].
Our QB sucks [BLEEP].
Our Offensive line sucks [BLEEP].

Barry Freakin Sanders would look average on this team. Ya'll tripping. LF was a bad pick because of his position and our need at QB. Not because he's a bad RB. Is he the best? No obviously there's better RBs in the league, notably Kamara who was taken in the same draft 2 rounds later. But hindsight always 20/20.

I agree with all those points. The OC sucks, the QB sucks and the Oline is decimated by injuries.

Doesn't change the fact that LF hasn't outshined any other RB on the team dealing with the same crappy team around them.

In fact, a PS player did better than he did in the limited time he was out there. Am I saying he's "better"? No. But I'm saying LF will NEVER be great based on the fact that he can't surpass a PS player. He should DESTROY that guys stats. And Yeldon's stats. But he hasn't.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5