Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Primary reason Jags reached for Bortles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know I will be beat up and told this is far too simplistic of an explanation, etc., but I feel there is weight to it: They drafted BB because they thought he was the next Big Ben. 

That was the label entering the draft, but unfortunately for Jag fans, there is a LOT more to being another Ben as roughly sharing the same size as him. 

I remember I was at Sneaker's Sports Grill in Jax Beach during that draft, and when the Jags picked Bortles, I said it then and there, "That's a terrible pick." 

There is so much more to what makes Ben good then his size. More than anything it's his intangibles, which Blake has none of. 

Also, Ben has a nice, clean throwing motion compared to Blake's bizarre corkscrew throwing motion, which gives defenders a full half second extra to know where he is throwing, which, 
in the NFL is an eternity. (Leftwich had a similar problem with telegraphing where he was throwing - albeit a different screwed up throwing motion). 

Ben is far from perfect (as we saw in both games vs. Jags last season) but he is better than most QBs out there and is a "winner." He can (not always) find a way to win in
less than ideal circumstances. Blake will never be a QB like that. And he will never attain Ben's level of play. I know I maybe stating the obvious now, but I never thought
Blake would ever come close to providing the play of Big Ben. 

Jags got to find a QB in order to advance. Where they can find one will be explored in another thread.
(12-20-2018, 06:49 PM)Steelers Beaches Wrote: [ -> ]I know I will be beat up and told this is far too simplistic of an explanation, etc., but I feel there is weight to it: They drafted BB because they thought he was the next Big Ben. 

That was the label entering the draft, but unfortunately for Jag fans, there is a LOT more to being another Ben as roughly sharing the same size as him. 

I remember I was at Sneaker's Sports Grill in Jax Beach during that draft, and when the Jags picked Bortles, I said it then and there, "That's a terrible pick." 

There is so much more to what makes Ben good then his size. More than anything it's his intangibles, which Blake has none of. 

Also, Ben has a nice, clean throwing motion compared to Blake's bizarre corkscrew throwing motion, which gives defenders a full half second extra to know where he is throwing, which, 
in the NFL is an eternity. (Leftwich had a similar problem with telegraphing where he was throwing - albeit a different screwed up throwing motion). 

Ben is far from perfect (as we saw in both games vs. Jags last season) but he is better than most QBs out there and is a "winner." He can (not always) find a way to win in
less than ideal circumstances. Blake will never be a QB like that. And he will never attain Ben's level of play. I know I maybe stating the obvious now, but I never thought

Jags got to find a QB in order to advance. Where they can find one will be explored in another thread.

Doesn't really matter anymore. He's out. The problem was that he was never supposed to start his rookie season. They knew he was a work in progress. A project if you will. Bortles never had a natural throwing motion to begin with. He always had to work on that in the off season.

I will say that he's a tough kid. And I think he'll ultimately have plenty of offers and phone calls in a few months to be a solid back up or maybe even start again someday down the road just like we've seen with Gabbert. Some guys are late bloomers. Some guys just need a change of scenery. And then just like that. They're making good headlines. 

It can happen with him. Just not here now. The Big Ben comparison also came about because of his "backyard" style of football. The running around, breaking tackles, making defenders miss, the throwing on the run, etc. That's really where all of that came from.

The biggest difference though? Ben was drafted by a World Class Franchise. A Franchise that has typically had it's [BLEEP] together for many years now. Blake was drafted by a start up General Manager, a defensive minded head coach and a start up Owner. Tremendously different starting points.
(12-20-2018, 06:55 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-20-2018, 06:49 PM)Steelers Beaches Wrote: [ -> ]I know I will be beat up and told this is far too simplistic of an explanation, etc., but I feel there is weight to it: They drafted BB because they thought he was the next Big Ben. 

Doesn't really matter anymore. He's out. The problem was that he was never supposed to start his rookie season. They knew he was a work in progress. A project if you will. Bortles never had a natural throwing motion to begin with. He always had to work on that in the off season.

I will say that he's a tough kid. And I think he'll ultimately have plenty of offers and phone calls in a few months to be a solid back up or maybe even start again someday down the road just like we've seen with Gabbert. Some guys are late bloomers. Some guys just need a change of scenery. And then just like that. They're making good headlines. 

It can happen with him. Just not here now. The Big Ben comparison also came about because of his "backyard" style of football. The running around, breaking tackles, making defenders miss, the throwing on the run, etc. That's really where all of that came from.

The biggest difference though? Ben was drafted by a World Class Franchise. A Franchise that has typically had it's [BLEEP] together for many years now. Blake was drafted by a start up General Manager, a defensive minded head coach and a start up Owner. Tremendously different starting points.

Wow. That was an amazing read of a post and makes a lot of sense. Thanks for putting it all that way...I agree.
I really hope Blake finds success. He seems to be a really good guy and you can't say he never stopped giving all he had for the Jags.
What boggles my mind is that we took a QB that was not a natural thrower of the football. He struggles with basic fundamentals to this day. I hope Dave is tied to him and they both are off the team next year.
(12-20-2018, 06:49 PM)Steelers Beaches Wrote: [ -> ]I know I will be beat up and told this is far too simplistic of an explanation, etc., but 
Oh, seriously.... just piss off already with this [BLEEP]

The Jags brass drafted the QB that they thought gave them the best shot out of the top QBs in that draft class. They were wrong.
Did the squealers draft Worilds hoping for the next Daryl Smith?

It ain't got [BLEEP] to do with your squealer QB - there is no correlation
(12-21-2018, 12:17 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-20-2018, 06:49 PM)Steelers Beaches Wrote: [ -> ]I know I will be beat up and told this is far too simplistic of an explanation, etc., but 

The Jags brass drafted the QB that they thought gave them the best shot out of the top QBs in that draft class. They were wrong.

It ain't got [BLEEP] to do with your squealer QB   - there is no correlation

Did you just compare a 3rd overall pick to a late 2nd rounder? 

I'm not being rude, mate. No need for you to be rude. It's all good, bro. 

And, yes, Blake was compared to Ben, big time, in that draft, so, it is relative.
(12-20-2018, 06:55 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]

I agree with everything you said. But taking a "project" 3rd overall is probably not wise. You can't miss on picks that high. (Yes, I know I'm not saying anything you don't know.)  Smile
Wow I’ve been around this board a long time and I’ve never seen NYC get out of shape like that.

Love the passion though.

I want that two minutes of my life back.
(12-20-2018, 06:49 PM)Steelers Beaches Wrote: [ -> ]That was the label entering the draft, but unfortunately for Jag fans, there is a LOT more to being another Ben as roughly sharing the same size as him. 

Wowee. Thanks for the enlightenment.

Wallbash
I know this is yet another Bortles thread (sigh), but I have a Ben story since the OP wants to talk/compare about him.

Roethlisberger's time at Miami, OH they were still in the same conference as Marshall University. His last season there, they hosted Marshall for the annual game. We traveled up there to watch it, and he put on a show.

It was ridiculously windy that day, "hurricane-like" (okay, not an actual hurricane, but you get the point). Anyway, both teams had the ball 2 qtrs with that wind in their face.
- Marshall's QB tried throwing in it and it was like we were watching a  game of "duck hunt" (Bortles type wobblers)
- Roethlisberger in the face of that wind was throwing absolute darts; he looked like a rifle out there.

It was really something to behold, impressive. But, I hated him back then, and then he got drafted by the freaking Steelers (ugh).

I'll be glad when his playing days are finally over.
Teams will always reach on QBs with measurables.
Not only simplistic, but wrong.
Like dude said in the Ozone, BB5 was drafted to lift 200 lbs, the team and fan base soured on him when he could not regularly lift 500 lbs.
Big Ben had a great advantage over Blake.

1. Coaching
2. Awesome RBs
3. A great defense (even with an overrated Palomalu)
4. A good line
5. Good WRs
(12-21-2018, 01:12 AM)Steelers Beaches Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-21-2018, 12:17 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, seriously.... just piss off already with this [BLEEP]

Did you just compare a 3rd overall pick to a late 2nd rounder? 
The two players I mentioned have just as much to do with each other in the eyes of their respective front offices as Ben and Blake do.  Which is zero. That was the point. 

A few talking heads very loosely compared Blake to Ben before the draft.  That's where it ends. 
Whoop-tee-freaking-doo.  That's what those guys do for a living at that time of year. 
They also compared Johnny Manziel to Fran Tarkenton. 

Sorry for the attitude - but I guess I don't enjoy a steelers fan trying to tell me my team botched their qb pick five years ago because they coveted the steelers qb.  I think it's a load of bull -  and we went around in circles on the Ben vs Blake thing here on the board already. 
Five years ago.
Blake was compared more the Favre than to Big Ben.

Let's simplify it further.  The Jags reached because the previous attempt to draft a starting quarterback failed miserably, and we had a cavernous pit at that position in a QB-driven league.

Full stop.

(12-21-2018, 12:17 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]

In the words of Bobby Bowden, dag-gum!
Im not sure where you got the comparison to big ben. except for size they are two completely different QB. Their mistake was changing coaching. I am sure they had watched how he played in college, and Olsen used that to Blakes advantage with a similer offense to what REid is doing with mahomes. but someone probalby marone convinced gus that they needed to run the ball not pass. and got hacket in as oc. Then they tried to take a mobile QB and make him a drop back QB. That was a failure of the coaches and front office. If blake was still in olsens offense with the defese we have now things might have been different for blake. only people who never saw him play in college compare him to big ben.
Pages: 1 2