Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: NFL.com - Jaguars, Panthers to keep their head coaches for 2019
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Jaguars, Panthers expected to keep their head coaches for 2019

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...s-for-2019

After disappointing 2018 campaigns that came off of playoff appearances the prior year, the Jacksonville Jaguars and Carolina Panthers are expected to stay the course for 2019 in regards to th
(12-23-2018, 08:25 AM)Jaxson Wrote: [ -> ]Jaguars, Panthers expected to keep their head coaches for 2019

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...s-for-2019

After disappointing 2018 campaigns that came off of playoff appearances the prior year, the Jacksonville Jaguars and Carolina Panthers are expected to stay the course for 2019 in regards to th

This isn't unreasonable for the Jags although I suspect a lot of people may take issue with it. They did come within a play or so of playing in the superbowl in 2017. Caldwell probably needs to go and Coughlin and Marrone need to find a young innovative offensive coordinator, an at least competent QB, and get the OL back into shape.

And the defense is going to definitely look different next year.
Needs a play caller that brings the offense into the modern NFL. That’s the only way I’d be okay with it. Even with a top defense, 3 yards and a cloud of dust doesn’t win you a super bowl.
I gotta hear this crap right before Christmas? Way to ruin my holiday! More of the same old stuff. My expectations for 2019 just plummeted. We're gonna be stuck with Marrone as long as the Bengals have stuck with Marvin Lewis.
Quote:For the Jaguars, owner Shad Khan is not panicking, sources say, nor is he looking for a scapegoat. Less than a year after locking in his entire upper-level power structure to contract extensions, he wants to see it through. They were, after all, a tipped pass away from the Super Bowl.
Injuries have marred things on offense. They'll be looking for a new quarterback with Blake Bortles expected to be released, and they need a new offensive coordinator.
But Khan and Tom Coughlin, executive VP of football operations, believe in Marrone going forward.

If Rapoport is getting this from a real source, it sounds like Caldwell and Marrone are safe. 

The Coughwell/Bologna era lives on. 

Interesting that Caldwell will be part of the process for selecting a QB for the Jags. Not many GMs get the chance to select a first round QB for a team twice in their tenure. Missing the first one often gets them fired.  This time it just got Caldwell assigned an overseer. I guess since Coughlin was part of extending the GM's QB pick, he's not bent on firing Caldwell. 

I sure hope those two decide on a QB (and some linemen) that can generate some points next year. 

And if all of this is to be believed - those two will be signing off on a Doug Marrone pick for offensive coordinator. 

Man - I'd hate to see this board if the Jags still don't have a functional offense next year.
Sad..
Hell of it is, i'm not really surprised by this at all..

I guess we can only hope that injuries really did put the final straw on the camel's back, and hopefully it looks better next season. Dunno what else to say. I'm REALLY not thrilled with the idea of Caldwell getting a second shot at drafting a new young QB. Maybe he gets it right this time, but that's hoping for a lot, given his track record with first round picks right now....
Good grief. Shad Khan is a terrible NFL owner. He oblivious when it comes to football decisions.
What did we do to deserve this coal for Christmas?
This is indeed sad. I won’t necessarily say Marrone had to go (a case could be made) but retaining Caldwell and allowing him to be involved in the QB selection process?

There goes any hope in 2019
Lol. From the "things the jags are best at" thread. #1

"I been thinking about a few things with the jags. I found a few things jags are best at.

1. keeping HCS for way to long."
(12-23-2018, 10:31 AM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: [ -> ]Lol. From the "things the jags are best at" thread. #1

"I been thinking about a few things with the jags. I found a few things jags are best at.  

1. keeping HCS for way to long."

This organization loves status quo
what kind of bologna is this guy feeding TC and Khan. He is not qualified to be a HC. He looks like he is on zanax on the sideline. has no idea during the game what to do. good lord more bolony marony means he will pick a run run run punt guy as oc and we will be in the same situation.
(12-23-2018, 09:21 AM)JeepJag Wrote: [ -> ]Needs a play caller that brings the offense into the modern NFL. That’s the only way I’d be okay with it. Even with a top defense, 3 yards and a cloud of dust doesn’t win you a super bowl.

Coughlin and Marrone are not going to bring in an aggressive, modern offensive play caller. They are smash mouth defense, control the clock offense minded. Unfortunately,  I believe that's going to trickle down to drafting as well. 

I disagree with all of the above. I want a new coach that wants to put an aggressive, offensive mind team on the field.
If Shad Khan ran his original business like he runs this team, there would be bumpers laying on the side of the road in cities across the nation.
(12-23-2018, 11:53 AM)prime winner Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-23-2018, 09:21 AM)JeepJag Wrote: [ -> ]Needs a play caller that brings the offense into the modern NFL. That’s the only way I’d be okay with it. Even with a top defense, 3 yards and a cloud of dust doesn’t win you a super bowl.

Coughlin and Marrone are not going to bring in an aggressive, modern offensive play caller. They are smash mouth defense, control the clock offense minded. 

I'm not so certain that Coughlin won't influence an adjustment of that philosophy. 
His superbowl winning teams featured a pass/run ratio that was balanced but leaned to the pass quite a bit more than the 2017 Jaguars did. 

It's not out of the realm of possibility that TC (who Marrone all but worships if you believe him) will be in Marrone's ear about updating the offense. 

They aren't going to abandon a run-first and play defense plan, but they could tweak their pass/run ratio and compile the new playbook accordingly.

Fingers crossed.
well there is one good thing about them keeping HC. Now I'm excepting a loseing season again next year,and won't be dispointed by it. I except them to lose. unforttanttly jags already have to automatic loses next season. 

to those stinken tittians. until Jags prove they can beat them they can't win rather in jacksonville tensse or netrual field.
Already tanking for Tua Tagovailoa Big Grin
It's built
Khan loves to eat!

Gus kept making those awesome milkshakes while Doug is killing him with those fried Bologna sandwiches. What a joke of a franchise.
Pages: 1 2 3