Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The future is still bright and we still have a window
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I’m no expert but if the offseason can go like we hope then we can bounce right back.

We still have an elite defense. Bouye has been hurt a lot this year. I’ve heard Sharpe say Ramsey is playing some of his best football. So we still have an elite CB unit.

Harrison looked pretty good as a rookie. Gipson is still a pretty good gambler and takes homer in chances on picks, so our secondary is still very good.

Our LBs are the fastest in the NFL. I read where Jack is a beast in coverage. Smith lacks in coverage but makes up for it with scrappy turnovers and isn’t our leader on defense. Jacobs will have his rookie year behind him. 

Yannick still has the ability to wreck games. I think Campbell comes back another year to give us 8-10 Paul Spicer type production. So that gives us a formidable pass rushers to go along with Abry Jones in the middle. Maybe Taven comes to life?

Over on offense we get Lee back and hopefully draft another WR. Westbrook has become our best offensive player. Maybe Hurnsy comes back? We need a spark at WR.

Most of all we have to draft a TE that can get on top of those LBs on 3rd down and separate. We need some improvement there.

We get our best offensive linemen back with Linder and Robinson. We need to draft a couple of linemen to protect whatever QB we go with. Will Grier? Case Keenum? Mike Glennon? Jarrett Stidham in the 4th?

Bohannon should be back to help lead the way for our backs.

Fournette gets one more shot to build off his rookie season and show the fans he is worthy. With a depleted oline and injuries, 2018 was a struggle. But he get so another shot. Yeldon comes back and does his thing. Grant comes back to give us a boost.

We get all of our special teamers back.

We keep Marrone and Coughlin but Dave goes. Coughlin makes all the calls.

We sign 2 or 3 key free agents and right the ship on our way to a 10 win 2019 season.
Sometimes the future looks bright because you're looking into the headlights of an oncoming freight train and you're standing on the track. #DrunkWisdom
If you think a rookie QB like Grier, stidham even haskins is going to lead this team to the playoffs from day 1 you're kidding yourself. Get Stafford then yes the Jaguars are gonna win it all.
Injuries, complacency by the players and staff, and the regression of Blake Bortles cursed us this season. The first factor we have no control over, but odds dictate that we can't be this snake-bitten two seasons in a row. The last two factors we can control and will be addressed. I believe next season will be rewarding.
We went 10-6 against a very easy schedule and handful of the games were very lucky to even win. Remember the Chargers game? We got like 2 interceptions in the last 2 minutes to win. We were lucky as hell to be in the playoffs if we are being honest. We beat the Bills scoring 10 points. Best game was the Steelers one. Best game team played. It carried over to the Pats, but the coaches royally screwed that one up.

Truth is we were a very average team last season that didn’t experience any injures, who got hot late when it counts, and the staff couldn’t capitalize.

The window... was a mirage... there was plenty of places to improve the team and the FO failed to address it. Coughlin was quoted as to saying “well we made it to AFCCG, thought it’d work again”. You’d figure a guy with as much experience as him would realize that recipe wouldn’t work again, but whatever it’s done with. On to next season
The roster is quite talented, just remains to be seen if we have the front office and coaching staff to advance it any further.

So far all reports are a strong no on the front office side of things
Lol, some optimist dude posting in this cesspool of despair.
(12-29-2018, 12:44 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: [ -> ]If you think a rookie QB like Grier, stidham even haskins is going to lead this team to the playoffs from day 1 you're kidding yourself. Get Stafford then yes the Jaguars are gonna win it all.
Yea. I mean Big Ben, Wilson, Prescott, Griffin, Dalton, Flacco, Sanchez and Ryan never did it..... oh wait
(12-29-2018, 01:55 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: [ -> ]We went 10-6 against a very easy schedule and handful of the games were very lucky to even win. Remember the Chargers game? We got like 2 interceptions in the last 2 minutes to win. We were lucky as hell to be in the playoffs if we are being honest. We beat the Bills scoring 10 points. Best game was the Steelers one. Best game team played. It carried over to the Pats, but the coaches royally screwed that one up.

Truth is we were a very average team last season that didn’t experience any injures, who got hot late when it counts, and the staff couldn’t capitalize.

The window... was a mirage... there was plenty of places to improve the team and the FO failed to address it. Coughlin was quoted as to saying “well we made it to AFCCG, thought it’d work again”. You’d figure a guy with as much experience as him would realize that recipe wouldn’t work again, but whatever it’s done with. On to next season

We also lost 7 games this year by 6 points or less. Despite a lousy offense--that kept the defense on the field WAY longer than they should have been, we can be a contender again next year if we get the right QB, a good TE and WR.
(12-29-2018, 02:33 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Lol, some optimist dude posting in this cesspool of despair.

[Image: jt2q2a.png]
The major difference between this season and last---aside from injuries--is that the defense didn't score as much as they did last year.
[Image: 674FanVictorySignTEN121814.jpg]
(12-29-2018, 02:50 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-29-2018, 01:55 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: [ -> ]We went 10-6 against a very easy schedule and handful of the games were very lucky to even win. Remember the Chargers game? We got like 2 interceptions in the last 2 minutes to win. We were lucky as hell to be in the playoffs if we are being honest. We beat the Bills scoring 10 points. Best game was the Steelers one. Best game team played. It carried over to the Pats, but the coaches royally screwed that one up.

We also lost 7 games this year by 6 points or less. Despite a lousy offense--that kept the defense on the field WAY longer than they should have been, we can be a contender again next year if we get the right QB, a good TE and WR.

I don’t have as much faith as you do in the whole “find right QB” part. This is the same FO (Caldwell) who picked a QB #3 overall who can’t throw a spiral and extended him (Coughlin). 

I truly do hope they get it right though, believe me. This time next year, we will truly know.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(12-29-2018, 05:49 PM)Shelley Thompson Wrote: [ -> ]Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't say?
(12-29-2018, 05:58 PM)DragonFury Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-29-2018, 05:49 PM)Shelley Thompson Wrote: [ -> ]Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't say?

Lol

I typed something and posted it before proofreading. Was too busy to fix it so deleted until later.

I was going to add a few positive outlooks for the Jaguars 2019

Easier schedule
Out of the QB Twilight Zone

Just dawned on me. Marrone’s objective in benching Bortles and canning buddy Hatchett-distancing himself from failure. Signaling to his players that change is coming, do not give up.

(12-29-2018, 12:07 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]I’m no expert but if the offseason can go like we hope then we can bounce right back.

We still have an elite defense. Bouye has been hurt a lot this year. I’ve heard Sharpe say Ramsey is playing some of his best football. So we still have an elite CB unit.

Harrison looked pretty good as a rookie. Gipson is still a pretty good gambler and takes homer in chances on picks, so our secondary is still very good.

Our LBs are the fastest in the NFL. I read where Jack is a beast in coverage. Smith lacks in coverage but makes up for it with scrappy turnovers and isn’t our leader on defense. Jacobs will have his rookie year behind him. 

Yannick still has the ability to wreck games. I think Campbell comes back another year to give us 8-10 Paul Spicer type production. So that gives us a formidable pass rushers to go along with Abry Jones in the middle. Maybe Taven comes to life?

Over on offense we get Lee back and hopefully draft another WR. Westbrook has become our best offensive player. Maybe Hurnsy comes back? We need a spark at WR.

Most of all we have to draft a TE that can get on top of those LBs on 3rd down and separate. We need some improvement there.

We get our best offensive linemen back with Linder and Robinson. We need to draft a couple of linemen to protect whatever QB we go with. Will Grier? Case Keenum? Mike Glennon? Jarrett Stidham in the 4th?

Fournette gets one more shot to build off his rookie season and show the fans he is worthy. With a depleted oline and injuries, 2018 was a struggle. But he get so another shot. Yeldon comes back and does his thing. Grant comes back to give us a boost.

We sign 2 or 3 key free agents and right the ship on our way to a 10 win 2019 season.
I like your optimism. It's going to be tough getting 10 wins as the schedule looks daunting (Saints, Chiefs, Chargers plus tough AFC South opponents). Next year will be successful if the Jags are able to draft Haskins and he is the starter by mid-season due to faster than expected development.
The future is bright if we land a bonafide franchise QB. And if our coaching staff doesn't try to shoehorn him into an archaic offensive system.
(12-29-2018, 12:07 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]I’m no expert but if the offseason can go like we hope then we can bounce right back.

We still have an elite defense. Bouye has been hurt a lot this year. I’ve heard Sharpe say Ramsey is playing some of his best football Must be true then. (He didn't even deserve a spot on the Pro Bowl). So we still have an elite CB unit.

Harrison looked pretty good as a rookie. Gipson is still a pretty good gambler and takes homer in chances on picks, so our secondary is still very good. He is slightly above average and will make terrible mistakes from time to time

Our LBs are the fastest in the NFL Dallas guys are faster and better. I read where Jack is a beast in coverage lol. Smith lacks in coverage but makes up for it with scrappy turnovers and isn’t our leader on defense. Jacobs will have his rookie year behind him. 

Yannick still has the ability to wreck games. Nope, he isn't Von, Mack etc He is a very good player but highly overrated here I think Campbell comes back another year to give us 8-10 Paul Spicer type production. Holy...  Campbell is way better than Spicer ever was, btw Spicer never had above 7.5 sacks. So that gives us a formidable pass rushers to go along with Abry Jones in the middle. Maybe Taven comes to life?

At least you didn't disappoint, this is as bad as all your other topics.

So many things wrong here - too hard to address them all.  But saying that we'll sign 2 or 3 key free agents when we won't have enough cap space to even retain our own free agents?  Heck, we're going to have to cut several players just to create enough cap room to sign the draft class, and let's not forget that Jack, Ramsey, and Yannick are going to need contract extensions and that will cost quite a bit.  

Then the pink elephant in the room is QB.  If they cut Bortles, which is far more likely than not, you have to sign a free agent QB to come in and that's going to cost at least $10 a year - likely more.  Forget Foles or Bridgewater as they'll be too expensive, heck even Flacco will demand $10M plus per year.  That leaves you with a re-tread like Fitzpatrick and another losing season next year.

(12-29-2018, 08:44 PM)Shelley Thompson Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-29-2018, 05:58 PM)DragonFury Wrote: [ -> ]You don't say?

Lol

I typed something and posted it before proofreading. Was too busy to fix it so deleted until later.

I was going to add a few positive outlooks for the Jaguars 2019

Easier schedule
Out of the QB Twilight Zone

Just dawned on me. Marrone’s objective in benching Bortles and canning buddy Hatchett-distancing himself from failure. Signaling to his players that change is coming, do not give up.

The schedule next year is harder, not easier.
Pages: 1 2