Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Three biggest post-season decisions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The Jaguars will have many critical decisions to make between now and draft time. In my opinion, the top 3 decisions are:

1. Should they trade up for Haskins, pay big bucks for a free agent like Flacco or trade for Nick Foles?

2. What to do with Leonard Fournette. Should they keep him or cut their losses by trading him for another 3rd round draft pick?

3. Should they cut Jeremy Parnell to save salary cap money?

My preferences would be to trade up for Haskins even if it means giving up next year's first rounder, keep Fournette unless they get offered a 2nd rounder (very, very unlikely) and keep Parnell. My guess is most would let Parnell go, but who will take his place? We saw what can happen when the offensive line becomes decimated and can they trust Will Richardson or a rookie to start right away? 

What would be your top 3 decisions?
(01-07-2019, 06:01 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: [ -> ]The Jaguars will have many critical decisions to make between now and draft time. In my opinion, the top 3 decisions are:

1. Should they trade up for Haskins, pay big bucks for a free agent like Flacco or trade for Nick Foles?

2. What to do with Leonard Fournette. Should they keep him or cut their losses by trading him for another 3rd round draft pick?

My preferences would be to trade up for Haskins even if it means giving up next year's first rounder, keep Fournette unless they get offered a 2nd rounder (very, very unlikely) and keep Parnell. My guess is most would let Parnell go, but who will take his place? We saw what can happen when the offensive line becomes decimated and can they trust Will Richardson or a rookie to start right away? 

1) Stay pat at #7, too many needs to fill and others that will be created as we shed salary. If Haskins is there take him for sure; someone will overpay for him before our pick. If that happens try and target Daniel Jones, preferably by sliding down a few picks. The more tape I watch of him the more convinced I am we take him in the 1st (especially with his Eli Manning connection; and seems like a TC guy)

2) Keep Fournette, this is his "put up or shut up year". You won't get close to fair value for him, and I think with a RB coach and an OC that coach him hard and hold him accountable we'll see positive results.

3) Yes, Parnell is getting old and his cap hit is large, struggled mightily against speed rushes this year. Time to move on.
(01-07-2019, 06:01 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: [ -> ]The Jaguars will have many critical decisions to make between now and draft time. In my opinion, the top 3 decisions are:

1.  My belief is take best available QB in the draft with the 7th pick, and bring in a vet QB as a stop gap (not a vet that will break the bank).
2.  Field trade offers for Fournette, but keep him another year if you don't get at least a top of the 3rd or better pick for him.  
3.  The heir to the RT spot was drafted last year, Will Richardson.  Parnell's $6m savings without dead money is needed, or at least desired.

My top 3 decisions for this team are how to upgrade the QB position in the near and hopefully long term without breaking the bank, how to fortify the offensive line to keep dismal 2018 line performance from reoccurring, and who to release and/or restructure from the defense to get the 2019 cap figure in line.

1. Trade up and get Haskins, definitely. Then, I offer a 2 year deal with low end starter money to RFA Kevin Hogan. He would be our starter to begin the season while Haskins gets used to the NFL. Hopefully, Haskins would be ready by week 10 at the latest. 

2. Personally, I would try to trade him. I have been frustrated by his behavior, but what has bothered me mostly is his inability to stay on the field. The guy is always injured. If I can get a 3rd round pick, I take it and draft a RB. This class is loaded with RB talent. 

3. I'm on the fence about Parnell. I definitely wanna draft a RG and a swing Tackle in that 2nd to 4th round area and Malik Jackson is definitely gone. I'd have to wait and see what Will Richardson does in mini camps and probably the preseason, before I make a decision on Parnell.

My top 3 decisions would be to: 

1. Fire Marrone, Caldwell and Coughlin. I then hire Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy as the head coach. Hopefully, he brings in Kafka as his OC. I also bring in some younger guys with fresh ideas to interview for the GM job. 

2. Move up as high as possible in the draft to select Haskins. 

3. What to do with Jalen Ramsey? He's gonna want QB money and there is no way I pay that to a CB. He's also the kinda guy who will holdout. Personally, I shop him, but I take no lower than a 1st and a 3rd and a decent starting caliber player in return. If we get that, I deal him. I believe we have the talent in the secondary to cover for his loss and I would use one of those picks we get in return, to draft his replacement.
The single biggest offseason decision has already been made and failed, unfortunately. For biggest decisions going forward.

1. What to do at QB? For me it's easily give up what it takes to get Haskins. If for some reason we can't then just get a cheap stop gap and don't miss yet again on the 2020 QBs. Draft a developmental QB that won't be counted on to start eventually in the 3rd round, Tyree Jackson or Rypien.

2. What to do at OC? Who the heck knows. All of the insiders are saying we're still going with a run first/defense approach, so finding a fresh, modern OC is pretty much out the window. RIP us.

3. What to do at RB? Fournette should be traded, or if not he should strictly be a short yardage/goal line back. Preferably we'd have a brand new RB room next year. I'd sign Mike Davis or Alex Collins in FA and also draft someone day 3. If Grant wants to return and will be cheap then he is welcome back.

1. I wouldn't trade up at all in this year's draft. Too many holes offensively and too many concerns on defense for the long term to consider moving up at this point. Haskins is a nice prospect. He's shown great poise in the pocket. He's accurate and seems to protect the football pretty well. But is he truly elite at the next level? I don't know. I don't get that overall vibe from him. And I can't see them giving up any picks to secure him just a few spots in front of where they're at. 

Sign Flacco or Taylor as a stop gap or insurance plan. And hopefully between Haskins, Lock and Grier they can land a QB without moving up to groom for a year. 

2. I would give Fournette one more opportunity to show that he's capable of being the workhorse he was drafted to be. And I would give him one more opportunity to show that he's ready to be responsible and mature on and off the football field. This offense needs a captain. And he needs to start behaving like one. 

3. Cutting Parnell is a possibility. But with as many injuries that they suffered from in 2018 in the trenches. He's the least of my worries. If his salary hit is reasonable and doesn't hurt the bottom line. I would hold onto him through at least training camp. 

As far as my own decisions? 

My ideas ended when they decided to bring Marrone back.
Should have lost to the Dolphins and drafted Haskins at #3. Anyway, get a vet QB and draft someone in round 2 -- Go for BAP in round 1

Keep LF and open up the offense to give him space like Gurley has

Keep offensive linemen and hope they stay healthy

Draft a TE

Get a legit WR that doesn't get hurt all the time (like the ones we have)

Get an OC that has plays that include going 4 and 5 wide to keep the defenses honest.

...it's really that simple.
(01-07-2019, 06:48 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]

1. Trade up and get Haskins, definitely. Then, I offer a 2 year deal with low end starter money to RFA Kevin Hogan. He would be our starter to begin the season while Haskins gets used to the NFL. Hopefully, Haskins would be ready by week 10 at the latest. 

2. Personally, I would try to trade him. I have been frustrated by his behavior, but what has bothered me mostly is his inability to stay on the field. The guy is always injured. If I can get a 3rd round pick, I take it and draft a RB. This class is loaded with RB talent. 

3. I'm on the fence about Parnell. I definitely wanna draft a RG and a swing Tackle in that 2nd to 4th round area and Malik Jackson is definitely gone. I'd have to wait and see what Will Richardson does in mini camps and probably the preseason, before I make a decision on Parnell.

1. Fire Marrone, Caldwell and Coughlin. I then hire Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy as the head coach. Hopefully, he brings in Kafka as his OC. I also bring in some younger guys with fresh ideas to interview for the GM job. 

3. What to do with Jalen Ramsey? He's gonna want QB money and there is no way I pay that to a CB. He's also the kinda guy who will holdout. Personally, I shop him, but I take no lower than a 1st and a 3rd and a decent starting caliber player in return. If we get that, I deal him. I believe we have the talent in the secondary to cover for his loss and I would use one of those picks we get in return, to draft his replacement.

My good god.. [BLEEP] is with people wanting to trade away the best player on this team... We finally have a young and truly Elite player and you want to ship him off when he's only 3 years into his career. He's only 24 and is just starting to hit his physical prime.... Some of the stupidest [BLEEP] I've ever heard.

The highest QB contract is Matt Ryan's at 5 years, $150m. The 2nd highest is Garoppolo's at 5 years, $137.5m.

The highest CB contract is Josh Norman's at 5 years, $75m. The 2nd highest is Trumaine Johnson's at 5 years, $72.5m. 

You honestly believe Ramsey is going to want double of the highest CB? Or that this team, or any team would actually even think about paying that? Hell no. He'll be the highest paid CB when it's said and done, but he isn't going to double the amount of the already highest CB contract in the league. That's just simply foolish to even think of man.

He'll likely get something along the lines of 5 years, $80m.
What about nailing the OC hire very important.

Trade up to #1/#2 don't care get Haskins.
Trade fournette
Maybe trade one of these guys or all Telvin, Malik and Bouye
Cut Parnell and Bortles obviously.
(01-07-2019, 07:48 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]Should have lost to the Dolphins and drafted Haskins at #3.  

Instead of pointing at that ‘phins TE, Telvin should have just jogged over to him, handed him the ball and blocked for him to get a TD.
(01-07-2019, 07:49 PM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-07-2019, 06:48 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]1. Trade up and get Haskins, definitely. Then, I offer a 2 year deal with low end starter money to RFA Kevin Hogan. He would be our starter to begin the season while Haskins gets used to the NFL. Hopefully, Haskins would be ready by week 10 at the latest. 

My good god.. [BLEEP] is with people wanting to trade away the best player on this team... We finally have a young and truly Elite player and you want to ship him off when he's only 3 years into his career. He's only 24 and is just starting to hit his physical prime.... Some of the stupidest [BLEEP] I've ever heard.

The highest QB contract is Matt Ryan's at 5 years, $150m. The 2nd highest is Garoppolo's at 5 years, $137.5m.

The highest CB contract is Josh Norman's at 5 years, $75m. The 2nd highest is Trumaine Johnson's at 5 years, $72.5m. 

You honestly believe Ramsey is going to want double of the highest CB? Or that this team, or any team would actually even think about paying that? Hell no. He'll be the highest paid CB when it's said and done, but he isn't going to double the amount of the already highest CB contract in the league. That's just simply foolish to even think of man.

I honestly believe he's gonna want closer to $100 million. I didn't say he'd want the highest QB contract, but I definitely believe he will want starting QB money and there is no way I would give that kind of contract to a Cornerback or any other non-QB position. There is a salary cap and we're already butting up against it. If we sign him to that, we're gonna have to start cutting a lot of other players. What good does that do?
We won't have salary issues after this year if they stop extending bad players like Bortles.
Also if they don't trade Telvin this year and he has another bad year he will be gone not that his contract is the worst thing.
Calais will need to restructure after this year to stay.
(01-07-2019, 10:46 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-07-2019, 07:49 PM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]My good god.. [BLEEP] is with people wanting to trade away the best player on this team... We finally have a young and truly Elite player and you want to ship him off when he's only 3 years into his career. He's only 24 and is just starting to hit his physical prime.... Some of the stupidest [BLEEP] I've ever heard.

I honestly believe he's gonna want closer to $100 million. I didn't say he'd want the highest QB contract, but I definitely believe he will want starting QB money and there is no way I would give that kind of contract to a Cornerback or any other non-QB position. There is a salary cap and we're already butting up against it. If we sign him to that, we're gonna have to start cutting a lot of other players. What good does that do?

So you add another year and make it 6 years $95m and be done with it. The market value is already set...

You'd honestly rather pay Andy Dalton/Alex Smith type QBs $100m+ over 4 years to be an average at best QB, over paying a truly Elite, top 3 CB $80-95m over 5-6 years?
(01-07-2019, 11:21 PM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-07-2019, 10:46 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]I honestly believe he's gonna want closer to $100 million. I didn't say he'd want the highest QB contract, but I definitely believe he will want starting QB money and there is no way I would give that kind of contract to a Cornerback or any other non-QB position. There is a salary cap and we're already butting up against it. If we sign him to that, we're gonna have to start cutting a lot of other players. What good does that do?

So you add another year and make it 6 years $95m and be done with it. The market value is already set...

You'd honestly rather pay Andy Dalton/Alex Smith type QBs $100m+ over 4 years to be an average at best QB, over paying a truly Elite, top 3 CB $80-95m over 5-6 years?

No. I want to draft Haskins and I believe he's gonna be special. When he does reach that level, I wanna be able to pay him. I also wanna have money to pay other players on the team. Football is a team sport. If you don't have an elite QB (which we currently don't have,) you don't pay a non-QB that kind of money and expect to keep any kind of good players around him. I'd rather have a team full of good players that I can afford to keep, rather than a couple of elite stars and a bunch of scrubs, because I'm pushed so far against the cap. That kind of strategy only works in the NBA.
(01-08-2019, 01:30 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-07-2019, 11:21 PM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]So you add another year and make it 6 years $95m and be done with it. The market value is already set...

No. I want to draft Haskins and I believe he's gonna be special. When he does reach that level, I wanna be able to pay him. I also wanna have money to pay other players on the team. Football is a team sport. If you don't have an elite QB (which we currently don't have,) you don't pay a non-QB that kind of money and expect to keep any kind of good players around him. I'd rather have a team full of good players that I can afford to keep, rather than a couple of elite stars and a bunch of scrubs, because I'm pushed so far against the cap. That kind of strategy only works in the NBA.

Baker Mayfield has a contract of $33m over 4 years, not including the 5th year option.. Do you really think paying Ramsey now, or even next season, is really going to effect whether we're able to pay Haskins a new contract 4+ years from now?
(01-08-2019, 04:10 AM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-08-2019, 01:30 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]No. I want to draft Haskins and I believe he's gonna be special. When he does reach that level, I wanna be able to pay him. I also wanna have money to pay other players on the team. Football is a team sport. If you don't have an elite QB (which we currently don't have,) you don't pay a non-QB that kind of money and expect to keep any kind of good players around him. I'd rather have a team full of good players that I can afford to keep, rather than a couple of elite stars and a bunch of scrubs, because I'm pushed so far against the cap. That kind of strategy only works in the NBA.

Baker Mayfield has a contract of $33m over 4 years, not including the 5th year option.. Do you really think paying Ramsey now, or even next season, is really going to effect whether we're able to pay Haskins a new contract 4+ years from now?

It's not just about paying Haskins or whatever QB we may have in the future. It's about fielding a complete team of good players. You can't pay a non-QB that kind of money and expect to keep good players around him. They're all gonna wanna get paid at some point and if you have two or three players sucking up all the cap money when you need 53 to make a complete team that's a bad idea. If you follow that philosophy, at some point you're going to have to let some very good players walk and replace them with cheap, "bottom of the barrel" guys in starting positions to stay under the cap. The Patriots never overpay. They let their top players walk or trade them when they command too much money and they are one of the most successful franchises in history. The strategy of giving a couple players huge contracts only works in the NBA, because you only have 5 starters and the NBA has max contracts. There is no max contracts in the NFL, so the market keeps going up each time a team decides to overpay.
That's going to happen eventually anyway. Yannick, Ramsey, Myles, and possibly Ronnie Harrison he already is looking very good.
1. No to Haskins, I don't see the hype he's getting. Draft someone else at QB who's started more than 1 year. I'd rather take a vet than draft Haskins at 7.

2. Keep him, he's on his rookie deal, why would you cut him? If he continues to act like he's 12, then try to trade him to get some value out of him.

3. Until you have someone better, no. Cuts will come on the D-Line before the O line for sure, we saw what happened when we have a handful of O line injuries, we need all the help we can get there.

The bigger question than all 3 of these are....

Who do we bring in to try to sure up our O line depth?

Who is going to be brought in to actually play WR?

Who is going to be our OC, and is Marrone going to allow him to run a modern offense?
Top 3 decisions:

1) Fix the QB position - whether through Free Agency, the draft, or selling your soul to a shady dude in a back alley that promises you he can make Tanner Lee the next Tom Brady.
2) Get the coaches back in control of the locker room. Having swagger is fine, but when all is said and done these men are professionals being paid to hone their craft and win games. Leaders need to lead, both in the coaching ranks and within the roster itself.
3) Take care of the cap. Do not get impatient, and make rash, short term decisions that are going to have long-term affects on the cap. Do not mortgage the future for one big swing at a postseason run. I think we did that last year to some extent with some of the free agent signings (Blake, Norwell), and those cap hits did not pay dividends on-field.
1.) Hire a fresh, yet agressive OC. Let OC provide great input on direction of the QB and supporting cast. My opinion, do not chase a QB this draft and pay attention to TE, WR, and upgrading guard positions. Vet stop gap or Blake will be a big item to watch.

2.) Be willing to part with Fournette and field all trade offers. His production or lack of is not worth the attitude or disruption. I don’t see Fournette or Yeldon on this roster at beginning of season.

3.) I’m okay with cutting Parnell but I’d let him compete and determine his future. There will be alot of contract work across all positions this offseason. Affordability at any position shouldn’t be an issue...yet.
Pages: 1 2