Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Morgan and Morgan petition to raise Florida minimum wage to $15
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
This would be horrible for our economy your talking about raising the minimum wage almost $7 an hour. Everyone making now $13 or $14 an hour all of the suddon would be making minimum wage, cost of goods and services are also going to sky rocket. Hopefully Florida voters have enough common sense to vote this down.
I hope so!
[Image: mcdonalds-2005.jpg]
That would devastate the economy.
Terrible idea. A lot of entry-level jobs would disappear and teenage unemployment would skyrocket. Lots of people would be replaced by robots and automation.

One of the most basic fundamentals of economics is that if you raise the price of something, you get less demand for it. So if you raise the price of lower level workers, there will be fewer lower level jobs.
I won't be signing this petition.
$10/hour seems reasonable.
(01-23-2019, 03:29 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]$10/hour seems reasonable.

Is there any economic logic behind this number or does it just sound good?
(01-23-2019, 03:34 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-23-2019, 03:29 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]$10/hour seems reasonable.

Is there any economic logic behind this number or does it just sound good?

Our actual minimum wage is already $8.46, and most companies are starting over $10. I don't think it would have a major impact @ $10 a hour.
(01-23-2019, 04:26 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-23-2019, 03:34 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]Is there any economic logic behind this number or does it just sound good?

Our actual minimum wage is already $8.46, and most companies are starting over $10. I don't think it would have a major impact @ $10 a hour.

Yes it would.

People that make $10-15 would demand to make more than just $0-5 more than minimum wage
There should be no such thing as minimum wage.  A company, business or individual should be able to determine what a job is worth and prospective employees should be able to determine if the labor/work involved is worth the wage offered.
(01-23-2019, 05:05 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]There should be no such thing as minimum wage.  A company, business or individual should be able to determine what a job is worth and prospective employees should be able to determine if the labor/work involved is worth the wage offered.

I agree.
(01-23-2019, 05:05 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]There should be no such thing as minimum wage.  A company, business or individual should be able to determine what a job is worth and prospective employees should be able to determine if the labor/work involved is worth the wage offered.

Exactly.  If no one is willing to do the work "legally" then the employer will be forced to adapt.

Nah.
You would trust the people with the least amount of power, skills, and resources to negotiate for themselves and get a good result?
Most people can negotiate for themselves, no problem.  
But the most disadvantaged in society? No way.  There has to be a floor.  The floor should be so low that most employers don't think about it.  But it needs to be there.
(01-23-2019, 05:48 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]

Nah.
You would trust the people with the least amount of power, skills, and resources to negotiate for themselves and get a good result?
But the most disadvantaged in society? No way.  There has to be a floor.  The floor should be so low that most employers don't think about it.  But it needs to be there.

I don't know what your "most disadvantaged in society" means but I have a pretty good real-world example that I went through a few weeks ago.

I asked on a Facebook Group for someone to cut down a rather large oak tree on my property (using my tools) and haul the debris away.  I had a guy show up and asked him how much to do the job.  He said that he could do it for $1000.00 but couldn't haul the debris away.  I countered and said that I wouldn't pay more than $800.00 for that.  He rejected the deal then showed up a couple of days later and agreed.  The guy was young and just looking for work to pay his bills.  He seemed to me to be un-educated and explained that he needed to pay his rent and buy some food for him and his wife.

The young man did his best to haul away the debris in his old small truck a little at a time, even though that wasn't part of our deal.  After his second trip hauling away some of the debris I paid him $1000.00 for his effort and told him that the job was done.  Me paying him more had little to do with the extra effort that he put in and everything to do with him trying to make an honest living.

My point is, the guy was willing to work and not asking for a handout.  He was obviously not "advantaged" and was able to negotiate his price.  You seem to equate the "dis-advantaged" in society with being "stupid".
(01-23-2019, 07:08 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-23-2019, 05:48 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]Nah.

I don't know what your "most disadvantaged in society" means but I have a pretty good real-world example that I went through a few weeks ago.

I asked on a Facebook Group for someone to cut down a rather large oak tree on my property (using my tools) and haul the debris away.  I had a guy show up and asked him how much to do the job.  He said that he could do it for $1000.00 but couldn't haul the debris away.  I countered and said that I wouldn't pay more than $800.00 for that.  He rejected the deal then showed up a couple of days later and agreed.  The guy was young and just looking for work to pay his bills.  He seemed to me to be un-educated and explained that he needed to pay his rent and buy some food for him and his wife.

The young man did his best to haul away the debris in his old small truck a little at a time, even though that wasn't part of our deal.  After his second trip hauling away some of the debris I paid him $1000.00 for his effort and told him that the job was done.  Me paying him more had little to do with the extra effort that he put in and everything to do with him trying to make an honest living.

My point is, the guy was willing to work and not asking for a handout.  He was obviously not "advantaged" and was able to negotiate his price.  You seem to equate the "dis-advantaged" in society with being "stupid".

You are offering him $800 for one or two days work.
Assuming he worked alone, that's way above minimum wage.
The kind of people who are helped by the minimum wage are much more disadvantaged than him.
I wouldn't say they're all "stupid", not at all. some of them are mentally slow or they are on the borderline of being mentally slow. But that's just one way that somebody could end up being very disadvantaged in life.
(01-23-2019, 07:36 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-23-2019, 07:08 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know what your "most disadvantaged in society" means but I have a pretty good real-world example that I went through a few weeks ago.

You are offering him $800 for one or two days work.
Assuming he worked alone, that's way above minimum wage.
The kind of people who are helped by the minimum wage are much more disadvantaged than him.
I wouldn't say they're all "stupid", not at all. some of them are mentally slow or they are on the borderline of being mentally slow. But that's just one way that somebody could end up being very disadvantaged in life.

I weirdly sort of agree with mikesez. There are people who are completely unable to negotiate a wage at all. Especially at the inexperienced end of the labor pool. But are these people actually able to work tho? I think thats a better question. The military has a cut off of I believe 83 IQ to be taken. Thats low, but there is still something like 10% of people below it. 

I think most of these people probably aren't working in the first place like J.W. but there is no way I think they could negiotiate a salary in the first place. I don't think they have a right to a certain level of income. But then again if you raise minimum wage you always contract the workforce at first, so maybe its better to just not do it.
The real minimum wage is and will always be $0.00
(01-23-2019, 01:54 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ][Image: mcdonalds-2005.jpg]

I haven't made my way into a Mickey D's in the last couple of months, but I will say that those kiosks are awesome.
(01-23-2019, 09:00 PM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-23-2019, 01:54 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ][Image: mcdonalds-2005.jpg]

I haven't made my way into a Mickey D's in the last couple of months, but I will say that those kiosks are awesome.

Yep, and about 25 cents an hour to operate. Now just replace the guy who put a stuff in the microwave and you can literally run a fast food joint with 1 human.
Pages: 1 2 3