Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jags looking at Dom Capers for Defensive Assistant
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
The eventual mid-season replacement for Todd Wash. Can't complain about this.
You guys know Don Capers is one of the worst DCs in football right?

Fine as an assistant or whatever but no you don't want him replacing Wash
Definitely a Coughlin move.
(02-04-2019, 05:40 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]You guys know Don Capers is one of the worst DCs in football right?

You guys don't even know his name.. it's DOM Capers.

As far as his career in GB.. he had success early on.. he had the #2 defense when they won the SB..

When the talent on defense aged and became often injured the defense started to slip. He's not a bad hire for a defensive staff. He coaches a 3-4 defense so there's that.
(02-04-2019, 05:40 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]You guys know Don Capers is one of the worst DCs in football right?

I hear Don goes well with chicken picatta.
Interesting. Has he ever coached a defense with a 4-3 scheme? I only remember his teams playing a 3-4.
(02-04-2019, 07:04 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting. Has he ever coached a defense with a 4-3 scheme? I only remember his teams playing a 3-4.

So, you're not aware he was our defensive coordinator at one time?
(02-04-2019, 07:07 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-04-2019, 07:04 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting. Has he ever coached a defense with a 4-3 scheme? I only remember his teams playing a 3-4.

So, you're not aware he was our defensive coordinator at one time?

Was he? That must've been in the early days. Dude, I'm 47. There are some days when I forget my own phone number. Remembering who our DC was 20 years ago, isn't high on my priority list. I'm lucky to remember my own name and address.
(02-04-2019, 06:10 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: [ -> ]

You guys don't even know his name.. it's DOM Capers.

As far as his career in GB.. he had success early on.. he had the #2 defense when they won the SB..

When the talent on defense aged and became often injured the defense started to slip. He's not a bad hire for a defensive staff. He coaches a 3-4 defense so there's that.

I know who he is. He's an awful DC and that's why nobody is hiring him as such.
He still has his place down in Ponte Vedra. Would be an easy transition for him.
(02-04-2019, 04:51 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]I like it

https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2019/02...tant-role/

Me too.  He has some innovative blitz packages and wasn't afraid to bring the blitz often and early.  I see no downside to bringing in someone with his level of experience to help regain some of the swagger that we've lost.
I think ya'll are reading too much into this. The Patriots have shown that above all, your defense has to be adaptable to beat the best offenses and find their weaknesses. Having coaches with experiences in a variety of schemes and looks, only helps the Jags.

The defense is already loaded with talent. Just needs more focus in 2019, and add some wrinkles to their schemes with some deceptions because you cannot just run the same thing every year.
Helps us against all other teams except the Titans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_Jacks...ason#Staff

Last effective passing offense this team had rolling on Sundays.

Edit:

The Jaguars number one defense forced 7 Miami turnovers as the Jaguars won in one of the most lopsided games in NFL playoff history. The Jaguars were up 24–0 after the 1st quarter. The game was so one-sided that the Jaguars were up 41–0 in the 2nd quarter before the Dolphins were finally able to score. The highlight of the game was Fred Taylor’s 90-yard touchdown run in the 1st quarter. This was the last game for both Dan Marino and coach Jimmy Johnson. 

This the origin of the curse of Dan Marino feelings.
I’m for it. I would think he would at least put a new touch to our scheme a bit so we wouldn’t be so predictable defensively we’ve lost multiple games because opposing teams just knew what we’d be in and schemed to beat it. And it would freshen things up after a season like we had you have to switch things up so it’s not monotonous and status que.

I was also thinking for 2 straight years we’ve had very few injuries on defense does that stem from our players being durable or do you think that has to do with the scheme we run. Because we run such heavy zone guys are more flat footed not caught in awkward positions or cuts?

What I recall is he was less than successful as a head coach but had some pretty good defenses both as a head coach and a coordinator. In his time here, Jags defense was ranked near the top.
(02-05-2019, 06:41 AM)hb1148 Wrote: [ -> ]

What I recall is he was less than successful as a head coach but had some pretty good defenses both as a head coach and a coordinator. In his time here, Jags defense was ranked near the top.

^^ This

He didn't do well running the whole show but was good as a defensive coach.
(02-04-2019, 07:29 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-04-2019, 07:07 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: [ -> ]So, you're not aware he was our defensive coordinator at one time?

Was he? That must've been in the early days. Dude, I'm 47. There are some days when I forget my own phone number. Remembering who our DC was 20 years ago, isn't high on my priority list. I'm lucky to remember my own name and address.
I'm 49 and I can totally relate!  

But I do remember Capers being here quite well.

Before Capers arrived, Dick Jauron was our first defensive coordinator, and I absolutely hated his schemes.  The only thing I liked about his scheme is that it was 4-3 based.  Otherwise it was awful, and besides one year in Chicago, he never had anything close to a dominant defense.

I was excited about Capers coming here before, but like you, I had concerns about his ability to run a 4-3 scheme.  But as it turns out, he put some very nice touches into our scheme. 

Imagine what most here hate about Wash's approach, and add to that the complete inability to time the few blitzes he would actually call, and take away half the stunts and that was Jauron.

Capers changed all of that, and his first year here in 1999, we had our first ever top 5 defense.  With him I had hope we could actually use Bryce Paup as a pass rusher.  That never happened, but it was a night and day difference.

Interesting side note.  I ran into a former Jaguar who was on those teams (Damon Jones) and asked him why the Jaguars timed their blitzes so much better under Capers, eagerly awaiting his insights.  The brevity and simplicity of the answer, while insightful, was something of a disappointment, summed up in one word: practice.  The team difndi bother to practice blitzing much under Jauron, while it was a point of emphasis under Capers.  I didn't get into the obvious differences in blitz designs and angles.

In any event, here is a link to Capers' coaching career.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/c...apeDo0.htm
(02-05-2019, 10:51 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-04-2019, 07:29 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]Was he? That must've been in the early days. Dude, I'm 47. There are some days when I forget my own phone number. Remembering who our DC was 20 years ago, isn't high on my priority list. I'm lucky to remember my own name and address.
I'm 49 and I can totally relate!  

But I do remember Capers being here quite well.

Before Capers arrived, Dick Jauron was our first defensive coordinator, and I absolutely hated his schemes.  The only thing I liked about his scheme is that it was 4-3 based.  Otherwise it was awful, and besides one year in Chicago, he never had anything close to a dominant defense.

I was excited about Capers coming here before, but like you, I had concerns about his ability to run a 4-3 scheme.  But as it turns out, he put some very nice touches into our scheme. 

Imagine what most here hate about Wash's approach, and add to that the complete inability to time the few blitzes he would actually call, and take away half the stunts and that was Jauron.

Capers changed all of that, and his first year here in 1999, we had our first ever top 5 defense.  With him I had hope we could actually use Bryce Paup as a pass rusher.  That never happened, but it was a night and day difference.

Interesting side note.  I ran into a former Jaguar who was on those teams (Damon Jones) and asked him why the Jaguars timed their blitzes so much better under Capers, eagerly awaiting his insights.  The brevity and simplicity of the answer, while insightful, was something of a disappointment, summed up in one word: practice.  The team difndi bother to practice blitzing much under Jauron, while it was a point of emphasis under Capers.  I didn't get into the obvious differences in blitz designs and angles.

On any event, here is a link to Capers' coaching career.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/c...apeDo0.htm

I remember with the Pittsburgh, Capers was known for his blitz packages. They blitzed early, often and in a variety of ways. That is something we haven't done in a long, long time. This team rarely blitzes and it frustrates me. It seems like Wash knows he has really good defensive personnel, so he goes into a "bend don't break" mode, instead of getting the most out of his personnel by staying aggressive. If he can bring that aggressiveness back to this team, I'm all for bringing in Capers.
Capers, as a coordinator, is a good choice. I don’t expect him to be much more than holding an advisor role, but he isn’t as bad as some here claim. He had a top-10 defense for half of his seasons in Green Bay, and I don’t believe any of them were as talented as ours is now.

I don’t know how many of his defense outside of Green Bay were top-10 but I’d bet it’s quiet a bit more.
Pages: 1 2 3