Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: 2019 O Line
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I just wanted to say, I think we will be fine in terms of our big boys up front this coming season. You have to remember, we did pretty well (against good teams) When our O line was healthy last year (first 4 game stretch). We get all these guys back, assuming we don't deal Fournette this spring/summer,as well as Lee coming back and a new face at QB, I think we're officially in the hunt again.

What do you guys think?
Optimism isn't allowed on this board anymore. You should know better
I think RG and RT are question marks right now and we have no competent depth currently in place.

I feel fine about: Robinson - Norwell - Linder

But the right side is unknown.

Parnell's cap hit at RT is 6 million. He's been solid to good at the spot except when banged up or facing speed rushers.
Opposing coordinators have a bead on that weakness now and they slide speedy guys over there to challenge him more often. Releasing him for cap consideration and drafting a tackle that handles speed more adeptly is certainly worthy of consideration. Who knows if he's back or not?

Will Richardson is a complete unknown entity and we have no clue where the staff sees his development or potential use.
They may plug him in at RG to replace Cann (who may or may not be res-signed as he hits free agency) - or they may really expect him (Richardson) to compete for Parnell's job. They may see him as a longshot to start but he represents good depth. We have no idea.

I'd absolutely without doubt draft an offensive tackle who has the ability to slide to guard (if needed) early in the upcoming draft.
Give yourself a chance to get the best five guys out there and add to the pool of talent from which to select them.
I'd make this happen prior to the third round if I were calling shots.

Beyond this - I'd attempt to re-sign Shatley and Wells cheaply if possible for depth, while adding a late rounder and an UDFA or two to cultivate more depth.

Based on the late season games, I'd not have Reed, Walker, Omameh or Flowers anywhere near my training facility in July.
(02-15-2019, 12:12 PM)JNev Wrote: [ -> ]Optimism isn't allowed on this board anymore. You should know better

I agree.  And we're screwed regardless.  #becausequarterback

Speaking honestly about the line, the entire thing is a huge question mark.  The right side might be gone; Parnell might be deemed too old/expensive, and Cann may walk in FA - he may not be perfect, but at least he lasted the whole season last year.

The rest are coming back from injury with no guarantees that they will return to form.  I certainly hope they all make it completely back and even improve, but it's more realistic to expect one or all of them to less than 100% to start the season.  And once the season does start, I have a hard time imagining guys getting healthier.  Especially the big guys... Just too much violence in the trenches.

The line worries the hell out of me right now.
The majority of the 2019 OLine is very suspect in my mind.

The good news on the starting front... Linder at center is talented, but will be coming back from a late November knee surgery. Norwell is solid at guard, but will he play to his $16m cap hit and pro bowl ability and recover fully from his ankle injury? These two have some question marks, but are pros that will be fine for 2019.

The not so good for me... Cann at right guard is a free agent and has under-performed; I don't see him being resigned. No depth players at guard are worthy of the starting role, including both Shatley and Reed. Will Richardson was drafted to take the right tackle role, and should displace a mediocre expensive and aging Parnell. However, Richardson is a question mark. I differ from many on this board in that I see Robinson at left tackle as a developing player, but currently playing to a so-so level. I think they live with Robinson another year, in hopes of him growing with experience.
Bumping this old thread as it references Richardson competing at guard.
Which is now a reality.  
I tried to tell a few folks that Cann's meager deal could mean competition for him in camp, and that appears to be happening now.

https://twitter.com/LockedOnJaguars/stat...1137894401
Nothing about this suggests he's a threat to Cann's starting gig.
(06-06-2019, 03:53 PM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]Nothing about this suggests he's a threat to Cann's starting gig.

Cann's play the last 4 years suggests he's a threat to his starting gig. I don't care that Cann was resigned, it's essentially structured as a 1 year deal; he's the weakest link of the Oline and will have to EARN his spot in camp, i think he very well could end up as the top reserve option for the interior oline but may lose his starting gig if he doesn't look drastically improved.
The reason Richardson is getting time at RG now is because we drafted Taylor. If we never drafted Taylor I don't think you would be seeing Richardson at G.
(06-07-2019, 07:25 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]The reason Richardson is getting time at RG now is because we drafted Taylor.  If we never drafted Taylor I don't think you would be seeing Richardson at G.
Obviously. 

But it's good for both positions because now they have a higher graded prospect at RT -  and the underwhelming AJ  Cann gets competition.  Even if Cann keeps the starting role, I'd like to see him have to step up to keep it.
(02-15-2019, 12:28 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I think RG and RT are question marks right now and we have no competent depth currently in place.

I feel fine about:  Robinson  - Norwell -  Linder

But the right side is unknown.

Parnell's cap hit at RT is 6 million.  He's been solid to good at the spot except when banged up or facing speed rushers.
Opposing coordinators have a bead on that weakness now and they slide speedy guys over there to challenge him more often.  Releasing him for cap consideration and drafting a tackle that handles speed more adeptly is certainly worthy of consideration. Who knows if he's back or not?

Will Richardson is a complete unknown entity and we have no clue where the staff sees his development or potential use.
They may plug him in at RG to replace Cann (who may or may not be res-signed as he hits free agency) - or they may really expect him (Richardson) to compete for Parnell's job.  They may see him as a longshot to start but he represents good depth. We have no idea.

I'd absolutely without doubt draft an offensive tackle who has the ability to slide to guard (if needed) early in the upcoming draft.
Give yourself a chance to get the best five guys out there and add to the pool of talent from which to select them.
I'd make this happen prior to the third round if I were calling shots.

Beyond this - I'd attempt to re-sign Shatley and Wells cheaply if possible for depth, while adding a late rounder and an UDFA or two to cultivate more depth.

Based on the late season games, I'd not have Reed, Walker, Omameh or Flowers anywhere near my training facility in July.

I agree 150% with the bolded statement.
(06-07-2019, 09:47 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-15-2019, 12:28 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I think RG and RT are question marks right now and we have no competent depth currently in place.

I agree 150% with the bolded statement.

That post is from February. 

Regardless, we really don't know if Taylor is an upgrade to the aging and banged up Parnell, but it stands to reason that he will at least be on a similar plane of performance. 

Right Guard now at least has competition. 

Depth is more sound than when I made the post. 
Richardson, Shatley, and potentially Stallings look better than the bare cupboard we had when I posted that.
(06-07-2019, 10:00 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-07-2019, 09:47 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]I agree 150% with the bolded statement.

That post is from February. 

Regardless, we really don't know if Taylor is an upgrade to the aging and banged up Parnell, but it stands to reason that he will at least be on a similar plane of performance. 

Right Guard now at least has competition. 

Depth is more sound than when I made the post. 
Richardson, Shatley, and potentially Stallings look better than the bare cupboard we had when I posted that.

Besides the obvious rooting for Taylor to be a stud for us, I'm rooting like hell for Richardson and Stallings to be at least good contributors and quality depth for us.

Hopefully at the end of the preseason, they will have shown more than Tony Adams (who was a popular UDFA signing for us) did last year.  I had high hopes for him.
at this point they want all of the Oline training at two spots, so naturally Richardsons 2nd one would be right guard
Richardson to have a shot at being a game day active will need to know more than RT. It is no surprise that he is learning the RG role.
(06-07-2019, 10:19 AM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]at this point they want all of the Oline training at two spots, so naturally Richardsons 2nd one would be right guard

(06-07-2019, 10:53 AM)ATLjag Wrote: [ -> ]Richardson to have a shot at being a game day active will need to know more than RT.  It is no surprise that he is learning the RG role.

Would you guys please just let me dream that this staff isn't content with AJ Cann at RG?!?!
Tongue
(06-07-2019, 11:19 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-07-2019, 10:19 AM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]at this point they want all of the Oline training at two spots, so naturally Richardsons 2nd one would be right guard

(06-07-2019, 10:53 AM)ATLjag Wrote: [ -> ]Richardson to have a shot at being a game day active will need to know more than RT.  It is no surprise that he is learning the RG role.

Would you guys please just let me dream that this staff isn't content with AJ Cann at RG?!?!
Tongue

hey im in on the dream too!

I dunno, predraft there were a lot of guys that thought he would have made a better LT than RT since balance and light, quick feet are his strengths.
(06-06-2019, 03:53 PM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]Nothing about this suggests he's a threat to Cann's starting gig.

Cann has always been a serviceable guard who, by sheer circumstance, has never had to face serious competition at his position.  And Richardson may or may not finally provide some.  Depends on how well he progresses.  But if he does start to look good, then I think he will be a serious threat for the starting job.  Cann is definitely replaceable.  We've just never had anyone here or looked very hard for someone who could do so.
(06-07-2019, 12:13 PM)rfc17 Wrote: [ -> ]

Cann has always been a serviceable guard who, by sheer circumstance, has never had to face serious competition at his position.  And Richardson may or may not finally provide some.  Depends on how well he progresses.  But if he does start to look good, then I think he will be a serious threat for the starting job.  Cann is definitely replaceable.  We've just never had anyone here or looked very hard for someone who could do so.

I don't think it's just a matter of talent although I know Marrone would argue this point. It's just when you're paying a guy starting money, you want him to start. I'm thinking for someone to be out Cann, he's going to have to obviously beat out Cann by a mile. If it's even close, the job is AJ's.
Pages: 1 2 3