Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Dom Capers added to Jags coaching staff
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Very cool. Always liked him. He was with the Jags before...in 99, right?
Two things Dom Capers knows : getting turnovers and creating funky blitz packages.

Part of his role here will be in those two areas.
Jaguars hire Dom Capers as senior defensive assistant

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...-assistant

The Jaguars announced Tuesday they hired longtime NFL coach Dom Capers as a senior defensive assistant, with duties that include working closely with Jacksonville DC Todd Wash.
Good hire.
Do people still believe TC doesn’t have any influence on the coaching staff?
Dom Capers is a zone blitz genius. I like it.
(02-19-2019, 12:47 PM)FBT Wrote: [ -> ]The team just announced Capers will be joining the coaching staff as a Senior Defensive Assistant.

Good move by the Jags. I'm surprised they didn't just go ahead and name him DC but I think his stamp on the defense will be felt immediately. With this much talent to work with I expect we'll be even better defensively.
(02-19-2019, 03:54 PM)hb1148 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-19-2019, 12:47 PM)FBT Wrote: [ -> ]The team just announced Capers will be joining the coaching staff as a Senior Defensive Assistant.

Good move by the Jags. I'm surprised they didn't just go ahead and name him DC but I think his stamp on the defense will be felt immediately. With this much talent to work with I expect we'll be even better defensively.

I agree. Defense should be fun to watch.  Hopefully the turnovers and sacks will be back like in 2017.  Hoping the injury bug doesn’t hit the defense like it did the offense last year. Knock on wood.
I like the hire but one has to wonder WHY. The Jags defense has been top ten for a few years and a ton of capital has been invested on that side of the ball. Are the Jags putting too much emphasis on D while neglecting the O?
(02-19-2019, 04:31 PM)B2hibry Wrote: [ -> ]I like the hire but one has to wonder WHY. The Jags defense has been top ten for a few years and a ton of capital has been invested on that side of the ball. Are the Jags putting too much emphasis on D while neglecting the O?

Coaches don't count against the cap and you never pass up a chance to improve yourself. I think Capers' schemes may suit our personal better anyway.
(02-19-2019, 04:56 PM)hb1148 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-19-2019, 04:31 PM)B2hibry Wrote: [ -> ]I like the hire but one has to wonder WHY. The Jags defense has been top ten for a few years and a ton of capital has been invested on that side of the ball. Are the Jags putting too much emphasis on D while neglecting the O?

Coaches don't count against the cap and you never pass up a chance to improve yourself. I think Capers' schemes may suit our personal better anyway.

You could literally hire a coach for each player on the team and it wouldn't count against anything other than the owner's check book. That is why you should always pay big bucks to keep great coaches around. Even if they are position coaches.
The zone blitz is back, baby!
Love it!

If there's one area Wash can improve on it's his blitzing, and Capers is the best in the game when it comes to blitzing.
I can see Wash being eased out the door....and let a legend step in.
(02-19-2019, 03:58 PM)Jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-19-2019, 03:54 PM)hb1148 Wrote: [ -> ]Good move by the Jags. I'm surprised they didn't just go ahead and name him DC but I think his stamp on the defense will be felt immediately. With this much talent to work with I expect we'll be even better defensively.

I agree. Defense should be fun to watch.  Hopefully the turnovers and sacks will be back like in 2017.  Hoping the injury bug doesn’t hit the defense like it did the offense last year. Knock on wood.

There is a clash of styles. Wash is a sit back and let the front four generate all the pressure, while Dom is more of a blitz tempo dictator. If things go south this year, Dom will probably be elevated to defensive coordinator. Wash would be wise to just let Dom make all the calls from the get-go.
Sounds good to me.
(02-19-2019, 04:56 PM)hb1148 Wrote: [ -> ]

Haha. Yeah, not sure where I said coaches went against the cap. That is pretty elementary. Capital as in complete investment from players to coaches, to directors, etc. So your saying you think Wash is gone? Not sure Wash will be too open to adopting another coaches scheme and it would appear to be a big investment for just someone to bounce ideas off of.

(02-19-2019, 05:58 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-19-2019, 03:58 PM)Jags Wrote: [ -> ]I agree. Defense should be fun to watch.  Hopefully the turnovers and sacks will be back like in 2017.  Hoping the injury bug doesn’t hit the defense like it did the offense last year. Knock on wood.

There is a clash of styles. Wash is a sit back and let the front four generate all the pressure, while Dom is more of a blitz tempo dictator. If things go south this year, Dom will probably be elevated to defensive coordinator. Wash would be wise to just let Dom make all the calls from the get-go.
Definitely a clash of styles. Wouldn’t it be more wise to cut Wash now versus being used as a scapegoat later? I’d be curious to hear how Wash thinks the dynamics will play out.
Capers had some good years and really, really bad years on defense with the Packers. I know he's an old time favorite from the glory days here in Jacksonville but I wouldn't get too excited just yet. Obviously that's not ALL on him. So I'll be fair. The Packers brass is known for being cheap here and there. Outside of Woodson and Peppers it's rare you'll see them acquire any big names. Matthews was okay for awhile. Hawk?

Just depends.
That's what I like. Now stack up on offensive talent and I see no less than 10 wins this coming season.
Pages: 1 2