Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Taven Bryan expectations?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Good article here on Bryan,  https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2019/02...ven-bryan/

I am hoping his first professional season in the weight room and focus on the defensive tackle position help him develop into a first round talent.  Defensive linemen in the NFL often take a couple of seasons to really learn the craft so I'm not too worried about the lack of production in his rookie season.  I'm hoping to see a guy who can effect the QB from the interior.    I would be happy with 6 sacks and a player who can stuff the run in the middle.
3-4 sacks
5-6 TFL
25-35 tackles.
Not much.
(04-22-2019, 02:15 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]Good article here on Bryan,  https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2019/02...ven-bryan/

I am hoping his first professional season in the weight room and focus on the defensive tackle position help him develop into a first round talent.  Defensive linemen in the NFL often take a couple of seasons to really learn the craft so I'm not too worried about the lack of production in his rookie season.  I'm hoping to see a guy who can effect the QB from the interior.    I would be happy with 6 sacks and a player who can stuff the run in the middle.

I expect him to be better than Tyson Alualu - i.e., more than just a rotational guy, but someone the other team has to account for.
We don’t know if they are augmenting the d-line in the draft yet, but if we are assuming Bryan will get at least 60% -70% of the snaps at 3 tech, then I think a reasonable expectation is somewhere between 45-60 pressures, 3 or 4 sacks, a couple of TFLs and a forced fumble.

The position isn’t a stat laden spot.

The pressures are the key.
I fully expect him to be a waste of a 1st round pick. Dude is depth at best.
I think our run D will be better with him than Jackson. I think he will surprise some people and be one of the most improved players on the team.
My hope is that Taven gets stronger, quicker, and the game slows down for him this year. He looked out of place in both spots, DE and DT, in his rookie season.
Pro Bowl level performance.
If he can find his game face and get that baby deer twinkly eye thing outta here... then maybe he has a shot to be great
20 pressures
4 sacks
6 TFLs
(04-22-2019, 03:00 PM)fredalwaysajag Wrote: [ -> ]If he can find his game face and get that baby deer twinkly eye thing outta here... then maybe he has a shot to be great

Game Face:

[Image: taven-bryan-4327bf8e80a57dbc.jpg]
(04-22-2019, 04:40 PM)knarnn Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-22-2019, 03:00 PM)fredalwaysajag Wrote: [ -> ]If he can find his game face and get that baby deer twinkly eye thing outta here... then maybe he has a shot to be great

Game Face:

[Image: taven-bryan-4327bf8e80a57dbc.jpg]

Exactly! Well, he's almost there... but yeah Taven, baby. Gotta get all Big John Henderson on dat as for da twenty nineteen
A lot of splash plays and a lot of whiffs.
(04-22-2019, 06:11 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: [ -> ]A lot of splash plays and a lot of whiffs.

looks like he caught a "whiff" of something in that picture
I honestly expect Taven to perform well at his natural position. His first step is to die for and w/that step, I expect him to be truly disruptive. He showed signs of doing so when the switch was made in the latter part of last year. I also believe that we have to add to the position as well.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
(04-22-2019, 02:32 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]45-60 pressures, 3 or 4 sacks, a couple of TFLs and a forced fumble.

The NFL average for pressures to sacks is about 9-1. If he's really racking up that many pressures hopefully he's getting double the sacks.
(04-22-2019, 02:48 PM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote: [ -> ]I fully expect him to be a waste of a 1st round pick. Dude is depth at best.

I #Disagree but,

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
(04-22-2019, 07:17 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-22-2019, 02:32 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]45-60 pressures, 3 or 4 sacks, a couple of TFLs and a forced fumble.

The NFL average for pressures to sacks is about 9-1. If he's really racking up that many pressures hopefully he's getting double the sacks.

Eh. That's a d-line stat, right? 

I'd bet it's a bit lower overall if you isolate 3 tech players, especially if you remove a couple of really high outlier players with big double digit numbers. (sack/pressure ratio)

So - for instance. If Bryan takes 700 snaps at 3 tech in 2019 and gets 50 pressures (7%) - then an 11-1 ratio produces 4.5 sacks.

Based on what I've seen from Bryan thus far, these are indeed my expectations. Which is the question at hand - not how those expectations meet a widely cast statistic. 

Is that a little low for a player drafted at #29?  Maybe, but it's what I expect.
I expect him to be a nice part of our SB run. MJD even said it, if we take Hockenson at 7 we will be back in AFC championshipt game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-_3vOetMBo
(04-22-2019, 02:48 PM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote: [ -> ]I fully expect him to be a waste of a 1st round pick. Dude is depth at best.

I hope like hell you are wrong, but at this point I am inclined to agree.

(04-22-2019, 02:48 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]I think our run D will be better with him than Jackson.  I think he will surprise some people and be one of the most improved players on the team.

I sure hope like hell you are right.  I'm tired of the defense surrendering so much yardage on the ground.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8