Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Can someone please explain to me.....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Can someone please explain to me the aversion this team has to drafting interior O-Linemen? We have had years of problems on the interior O-Line outside of Linder and we currently have a RG who can't run block. We have zero depth on the inside and a LG coming off a season ending injury, yet we haven't spent a draft pick on an interior O-Linemen since 2015 (Cann). A.J. Cann needs to be replaced or at least, pushed. In fact, in the past 10 years we only drafted 4 interior O-Linemen and 2 of those guys came in one draft (Linder and Bowanko.) Since 2009, we've only hit on one interior O-Lineman (Linder) and our current starter that we drafted in 2015 (Cann,) has been the weak link for several years, but we ignore the position again. I don't understand? We have all those draft picks yet we choose to bring in a 4th QB and trading away a pick instead of addressing a real need. It makes no sense to me.
There isn't an aversion. I believe that the FO has a plan and that everything will work out in the end. Their goals are clear and they are making the moves necessary to complete those goals.
(04-27-2019, 06:01 PM)Setsuna00 Wrote: [ -> ]There isn't an aversion. I believe that the FO has a plan and that everything will work out in the end. Their goals are clear and they are making the moves necessary to complete those goals.

What moves? It all starts on the O-Line and although we now have decent depth on the outside, the interior O-Line got ignored AGAIN. You have to be able to run up the gut and we don't have the guys to do it, especially if we have a single injury to one of our starters who are already coming off of season ending injuries.
(04-27-2019, 06:06 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-27-2019, 06:01 PM)Setsuna00 Wrote: [ -> ]There isn't an aversion. I believe that the FO has a plan and that everything will work out in the end. Their goals are clear and they are making the moves necessary to complete those goals.

What moves? It all starts on the O-Line and although we now have decent depth on the outside, the interior O-Line got ignored AGAIN. You have to be able to run up the gut and we don't have the guys to do it, especially if we have a single injury to one of our starters who are already coming off of season ending injuries.

Why are you doubting them so much? They've done the best they could in the situations put in. Our OL was great before injuries came up. It wasn't really that pressing of a need if you think about it. Their goals are clear though. To not be last in the division. That's their ultimate goal imho.
Man if you get too annoyed by the later rounds you are gonna be very frustrated every year
(04-27-2019, 06:11 PM)Setsuna00 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-27-2019, 06:06 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]What moves? It all starts on the O-Line and although we now have decent depth on the outside, the interior O-Line got ignored AGAIN. You have to be able to run up the gut and we don't have the guys to do it, especially if we have a single injury to one of our starters who are already coming off of season ending injuries.

Why are you doubting them so much? They've done the best they could in the situations put in. Our OL was great before injuries came up. It wasn't really that pressing of a need if you think about it. Their goals are clear though. To not be last in the division. That's their ultimate goal imho.

No. It wasn't.

(04-27-2019, 06:14 PM)JagJohn Wrote: [ -> ]Man if you get too annoyed by the later rounds you are gonna be very frustrated every year

It's not about the later rounds. Heck, I would've addressed OG in round 2. I thought it and TE was the biggest need for this team, even more so than RT.
(04-27-2019, 06:14 PM)JagJohn Wrote: [ -> ]Man if you get too annoyed by the later rounds you are gonna be very frustrated every year

He’s having a tantrum like my 2 year old toddler.
You had alot of IOL graded. I'm sure they will look to add depth pretty soon here and probably with a couple of your guys.
(04-27-2019, 06:22 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-27-2019, 06:11 PM)Setsuna00 Wrote: [ -> ]Why are you doubting them so much? They've done the best they could in the situations put in. Our OL was great before injuries came up. It wasn't really that pressing of a need if you think about it. Their goals are clear though. To not be last in the division. That's their ultimate goal imho.

No. It wasn't.

So leading the league in rushing and being among the lowest is sacks allowed is not an indica of a good OL?
Robinson is healthy
Norwell is a quality starter
Linder is our best lineman
Cann is a backup that might do better with better players around him

We drafted Taylor in round 2.

For what it’s worth none of our TE excel at blocking...not even little bit.

It looks like the Oline can be a strength if everything works out.
(04-27-2019, 06:27 PM)knarnn Wrote: [ -> ]

He’s having a tantrum like my 2 year old toddler.

I'm just looking at the facts. The Pats seem to draft interior O-linemen all the time. Since 2009 we've drafted 4. They've drafted 9 and how many championships do they have?
(04-27-2019, 05:58 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]Can someone please explain to me the aversion this team has to drafting interior O-Linemen? We have had years of problems on the interior O-Line outside of Linder and we currently have a RG who can't run block. We have zero depth on the inside and a LG coming off a season ending injury, yet we haven't spent a draft pick on an interior O-Linemen since 2015 (Cann). A.J. Cann needs to be replaced or at least, pushed. In fact, in the past 10 years we only drafted 4 interior O-Linemen and 2 of those guys came in one draft (Linder and Bowanko.) Since 2009, we've only hit on one interior O-Lineman (Linder) and our current starter that we drafted in 2015 (Cann,) has been the weak link for several years, but we ignore the position again. I don't understand? We have all those draft picks yet we choose to bring in a 4th QB and trading away a pick instead of addressing a real need. It makes no sense to me.

Why would the team be open to drafting interior OL in 2014 and 2015, but averse to it in 16-19?

They signed Norwell to a big dollar contract just last year.

Don't you think they may have drafted a G had they not signed him?
(04-27-2019, 06:40 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-27-2019, 06:22 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]No. It wasn't.

So leading the league in rushing and being among the lowest is sacks allowed is not an indica of a good OL?

You are only looking at a very small sample size. Our guys started getting injured a couple games into the season and once that happened we sucked, because we had no depth. You have to have depth on the O-Line. The Pats understand this. Why doesn't our front office?

(04-27-2019, 06:46 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-27-2019, 05:58 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]Can someone please explain to me the aversion this team has to drafting interior O-Linemen? We have had years of problems on the interior O-Line outside of Linder and we currently have a RG who can't run block. We have zero depth on the inside and a LG coming off a season ending injury, yet we haven't spent a draft pick on an interior O-Linemen since 2015 (Cann). A.J. Cann needs to be replaced or at least, pushed. In fact, in the past 10 years we only drafted 4 interior O-Linemen and 2 of those guys came in one draft (Linder and Bowanko.) Since 2009, we've only hit on one interior O-Lineman (Linder) and our current starter that we drafted in 2015 (Cann,) has been the weak link for several years, but we ignore the position again. I don't understand? We have all those draft picks yet we choose to bring in a 4th QB and trading away a pick instead of addressing a real need. It makes no sense to me.

Why would the team be open to drafting interior OL in 2014 and 2015, but averse to it in 16-19?

What depth do we have behind the OG's? Norwell and Linder are coming off of injury and Cann has always been the weak link. What if Norwell or Cann get injured again? It's possible.
I really don't know what they would have done. I can never seem to predict what this team will do.
(04-27-2019, 06:48 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-27-2019, 06:40 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]So leading the league in rushing and being among the lowest is sacks allowed is not an indica of a good OL?

You are only looking at a very small sample size. Our guys started getting injured a couple games into the season and once that happened we sucked, because we had no depth. You have to have depth on the O-Line. The Pats understand this. Why doesn't our front office?

(04-27-2019, 06:46 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Why would the team be open to drafting interior OL in 2014 and 2015, but averse to it in 16-19?

What depth do we have behind the OG's? Norwell and Linder are coming off of injury and Cann has always been the weak link. What if Norwell or Cann get injured again? It's possible.
I really don't know what they would have done. I can never seem to predict what this team will do.

So you are blaming the team for losing 4 out of  5 starters on the OL and not having 4 more starting caliber backups?
Robinson two years ago. Taylor yesterday. Linder stolen a few years ago. Highest rated G in Norwell signed last year. Cann quietly not rocking the boat but also doing enough to keep a job.

Injuries hurt this team last year. If it's healthy and Fournette gets his [BLEEP] together? 2017's repeat season could be here again.

It may not be as dominating on defense as it was in 2017 but the improvements on offense could help elevate and motivate the rest of the team.

Have faith.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
You might want to look around at the depth of almost every NFL team on the Oline.

Hint: it's mostly guys you never want to have to play at any point
(04-27-2019, 06:45 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-27-2019, 06:27 PM)knarnn Wrote: [ -> ]He’s having a tantrum like my 2 year old toddler.

I'm just looking at the facts. The Pats seem to draft interior O-linemen all the time. Since 2009 we've drafted 4. They've drafted 9 and how many championships do they have?

You're kidding me...right?  Perhaps you've heard of Tom Brady?
(04-27-2019, 07:42 PM)Rico Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-27-2019, 06:45 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]I'm just looking at the facts. The Pats seem to draft interior O-linemen all the time. Since 2009 we've drafted 4. They've drafted 9 and how many championships do they have?

You're kidding me...right?  Perhaps you've heard of Tom Brady?

I'd draft a lot of linemen if I had the greatest Oline coach of all time on the staff too
Maybe there simply weren't any good ones available when we selected, and not worth trading up for to select.

This is the problem a lot of folks have with the draft who force fit need too heavily.  Happens when a fan's perception of need differs (rightly or wrongly) from the view of the club, too.

It should have been a dead giveaway even to the casual observer that they didn't feel strongly about interior in this draft when they signed the guys they did.

UDFAs will get a shot, and I'm sure they'll look for any possible upgrades on the waiver wire - but like WR, they seem pretty satisfied with what they've got at the core and backup/swing roles.

Had they not gotten Taylor, who they certainly targeted, I'm sure things may have been different on the outside.  But I seriously doubt that had any affect at all on what they did inside.
I think we're fine at tackle.  We took a very early 2nd rounder in both 2017 and 2019 and both were considered by many to be steals at their position.  For depth, we signed a former first round disappointment in free agency to compete against our 4th rounder from last year and experienced swing tackle Josh Wells.  The best two of three will make the team.

For the interior, we're set at center with Linder.  Norwell is a former all pro.  He didn't play like it last year, but the hope is that he bounces back with a new offensive coordinator.  Even if not, we're financially committed to him.  He's going nowhere anytime soon.  As far as starters, it basically leaves Cann.  I suspect you are more critical of him than me.  While I don't love Cann, I also don't think a 6th or 7th rounder was likely to upgrade him.  We could have used an earlier pick, but I can't complain with the positions taken with the exception of our 3B pick (which was out of the Twilight Zone).  

I'm also ok with Shatley as depth.  We could have used the 7th round pick that we traded away on an additional backup guard, but I would point out that only 1 guard went after that spot in the draft.  Every other guard is still available to be signed in undrafted free agency.
Pages: 1 2