Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Walter Football's Take
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Granted this is a little late but...

http://walterfootball.com/offseason2019jax.php

Did anyone hear of any off field concerns for Taylor?

I did a quick google and the first thing that came up was this...

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/04/26/jawaan...uars-facts

I suppose if you have something against church drummers...?
I love the I never heard of him so it must automatically be a reach take for Williams. Totally original, lol.
(05-03-2019, 08:28 AM)Dimson Wrote: [ -> ]I love the I never heard of him so it must automatically be a reach take for Williams. Totally original, lol.

I wonder who will have the guts to admit it if they turn out to be wrong about the pick?

I've admitted to being wrong many times over the years-sadly because I've been wrong so often.

Did I know what to think about the pick?  No.

I liked what I saw in the clips, but I don't know if he represents value there or not.  My gut tells me no...and that he could have been taken later, even though Shanahan said teams were eyeing him in the 4th.

Should he meet the team's expectations-and exceed seemingly everyone else's, I will be glad to offer my mea culpa and a kudos to the FO.

But I've heard too many analysts say he wasn't in the top 400-700 players to take that lightly.  Heck, Austin Lane didn't get that reaction-though being in those rankings didn't guarantee a successful career for him or many others who fall into that category.
(05-03-2019, 08:28 AM)Dimson Wrote: [ -> ]I love the I never heard of him so it must automatically be a reach take for Williams. Totally original, lol.

I do like the site; it's always there and free. He also came up with a "Gene Smith" rating for one of the picks. Smile

Maybe we're looking at it from just the Jags perspective. After all, he's writing an evaluation for every pick in the draft, so he has to put something out quickly, and doesn't have time to go into a thorough study of a player who didn't make any of the pre-draft lists.

He should have gone back and corrected that once other info became available. 
You mean we drafted a guy like this?

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAl3pi0d9yl7pFsDIQt-g..._DxYxbNBDd]
(05-03-2019, 09:10 AM)PF* Wrote: [ -> ]You mean we drafted a guy like this?

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAl3pi0d9yl7pFsDIQt-g..._DxYxbNBDd]

Yep, and apparently that is an off field issue.
i don't know why people still give walter football clicks
(05-03-2019, 10:14 AM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]i don't know why people still give walter football clicks
Thank you!

He's the worst and he seriously has something against the Jags.
With all the hate Taylor got on this board I think he will surprise some people and have a really good rookie year. As many people on here that thinks Josh Allen is a beast he won that matchup 1 on one. I predict that he has the best rookie year out if all the tackles.
(05-03-2019, 07:54 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Granted this is a little late but...

http://walterfootball.com/offseason2019jax.php

Did anyone hear of any off field concerns for Taylor?

I did a quick google and the first thing that came up was this...

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/04/26/jawaan...uars-facts

I suppose if you have something against church drummers...?

Re: Walter Football. I've always found that site to be hit-or-miss. They do legitimately find some good info. They do tend to run with whatever info they're given, regardless of how reliable the source is. I also believe they've made some things up entirely.

Re: Quincy Williams. I genuinely despise that the draft pundit system of "grading" consists of a whole category of failure based upon the draftnik not knowing who the player is. Caldwell clearly knew who Quincy Williams was, as did other teams in the league, and he must have turned some heads somehow. That's not to say he's going to be a success, just that the whole notion of grading a draft the next day leads to abject failures of grading. Look up William Hayes. The pick was absolutely savaged by everyone except Mike Mayock, yet he had an 11-year career as a sometimes-starter, and may yet land somewhere else this season. Most guys won't be that lucky hit, but blasting a third-round compensatory pick because you've never heard of the guy smacks of laziness. If you haven't heard of him, get in touch with your sources and find out whatever you can about him. If they don't know who he is, set phasers to sick burn and fire at will. That was Mayock's approach in his draft grades, and it assumes that you have sources in a position to know that sort of thing (WF does not, imo).

Re: Gardner Minshew. First off, why do draft grades even get assigned to guys in the sixth and seventh rounds? Those are almost universally throwaway picks. A while back Belichick did a draft day interview about late-round finds (specifically Brady) and mentioned that only 10% of sixth-round picks play a full season in the NFL, and for the seventh round it's even less. The draft grade for all of those guys should be "Incomplete". If a sixth-round pick becomes a decent special teamer for a game or two, that's a good pick. If a seventh-rounder sticks on the roster, even if he never plays a down, that's a good pick. The idea that a sixth-round QB could be one step above a failing grade makes no sense to me. As long as we're on the topic, I remember a good number of draft guides in 2000 pegging Tom Brady as "that guy keeping the seat warm for Drew Henson". Good thing the Patriots wasted a sixth-round pick on an unremarkable college QB who ended his career in a rotation with his replacement, right?

Re: Jawaan Taylor. The character concern actually stems from his time as a drummer. According to my super-reliable sources, he asked during rehearsal if they could try his song next week. He was promptly replaced by a drum machine. In interviews, the band's lead singer told NFL executives that the drum machine never missed a beat, worked better within the band's dynamic and showed up to practice on time.
Off The Field Issues. Perhaps they are just playing the percentages, given the fact that he went to UF.
(05-03-2019, 10:16 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-03-2019, 10:14 AM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]i don't know why people still give walter football clicks
Thank you!

He has been tough on this team before, but there have been others worse.

And he DID give us an A minus for this draft.

(05-03-2019, 11:16 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]Off The Field Issues.  Perhaps they are just playing the percentages, given the fact that he went to UF.

Ouch.   Laughing
I like WF. I don't take everything they say as gospel. Charlie Campbell on there is more fair I think with his views. I like the live grades as well that they do on draft day. And outside of them I go to Scott Wright on NFLDraft Countdown but his updates are inconsistent for the most part. But his website is very clean, looks good most of the time with his prospect rankings, etc.
(05-03-2019, 12:07 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]I like WF. I don't take everything they say as gospel. Charlie Campbell on there is more fair I think with his views. I like the live grades as well that they do on draft day. And outside of them I go to Scott Wright on NFLDraft Countdown but his updates are inconsistent for the most part. But his website is very clean, looks good most of the time with his prospect rankings, etc.

his website looks like its from the 1990s
(05-03-2019, 11:16 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]Off The Field Issues.  Perhaps they are just playing the percentages, given the fact that he went to UF.

OK, I did get a chuckle out of this one.   Laughing
I saw people calling his weight issues/work ethic being technically an off field issue. Not like behavior/legal trouble though, at least not that I saw.
(05-03-2019, 12:07 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]I like WF. I don't take everything they say as gospel. Charlie Campbell on there is more fair I think with his views. I like the live grades as well that they do on draft day. And outside of them I go to Scott Wright on NFLDraft Countdown but his updates are inconsistent for the most part. But his website is very clean, looks good most of the time with his prospect rankings, etc.

Speaking of draftcountdown.com...

Quote:       7.  Jacksonville Jaguars       
[Image: JoshAllen19Mock.jpg]
Josh Allen, OLB, Kentucky
The expectation was that the Jags would opt for a blocker or Iowa TE T.J. Hockenson, but then Allen fell into their laps.  Allen is capable of lining up at either outside linebacker or defensive end and gives Jacksonville another fast, athletic playmaker on defense.  Good luck to opposing offensive tackles that have to deal with Allen and Yannick Ngakoue flying off the edges.  The phrase “best player available” is often thrown around loosely on Draft Day, but in this instance it actually applies.  The Jaguars had other more pressing needs but when opportunity knocked they opened the door.
(05-03-2019, 12:31 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]

his website looks like its from the 1990s

Which one? Walterfootball or NFLDraft Countdown? If it's WF I agree 110%. It's a pain to navigate and the pop-up's and ad's certainly give off that dial-up 1990's vibe for sure.

(05-03-2019, 03:23 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]

Speaking of draftcountdown.com...

Quote:       7.  Jacksonville Jaguars       
[Image: JoshAllen19Mock.jpg]
Josh Allen, OLB, Kentucky
The expectation was that the Jags would opt for a blocker or Iowa TE T.J. Hockenson, but then Allen fell into their laps.  Allen is capable of lining up at either outside linebacker or defensive end and gives Jacksonville another fast, athletic playmaker on defense.  Good luck to opposing offensive tackles that have to deal with Allen and Yannick Ngakoue flying off the edges.  The phrase “best player available” is often thrown around loosely on Draft Day, but in this instance it actually applies.  The Jaguars had other more pressing needs but when opportunity knocked they opened the door.

Scott Wright had us taking Jawaan Taylor with that pick in his final mockdraft. I don't know if he's been able to update the 2nd RD. That's my only knock on him. His website, rankings, details and write-up's are superb. Love his work. Been following him personally since I was 15, 16 years old. His updates are just very, very slow and sporadic. But he does a boat load of work overall and I don't know if it's just ALL him on his own or if he has a team. 

Walterfootball is just more up to date on stuff and that's really why I go to them. Who else is out there that you know of? You've always had a good, analytical eye for that stuff on here. What's your preference?
I like WF, I like the rants and the doses of humor sprinkled in. It's all just entertainment.
(05-03-2019, 10:16 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]
Thank you!

agreed
Pages: 1 2