Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: DJ Chark and the WR group
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Sounds like we might just be okay at the wide receiver after all. DJ Chark, although early, seems to be tearing it up in OTAs, Dede Westbrook seems to have had an arrival last year, Keelan Cole is looking to rebound this year, and who knows what we what we will have in Marqise Lee. Seeing our receivers with a high level QB and I’m not as concerned with our group of pass catchers. What do you guys think of our wideouts?
One of the most unproven groups in the league. Has talent but as we know development isn't linear.

I'm relatively confident in Dede, and think Cole will be our #2 this year but not confident in the group being a good one as whole.

Don't think we have a high level QB either, unless you just mean higher level than Blake
I know he's made some nice plays in underwear practices, but I'm not even sure that Keelan Cole will make the roster.

Overall I figure Conley and Chark will rotate out wide at the split-end spot with Westbrook, Lee and whoever else makes the roster taking care of the flanker and slot positions.  
(06-01-2019, 10:58 PM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]I know he's made some nice plays in underwear practices, but I'm not even sure that Keelan Cole will make the roster.

Overall I figure Conley and Chark will rotate out wide at the split-end spot with Westbrook, Lee and whoever else makes the roster taking care of the flanker and slot positions.  

I doubt Lee is ready to play week 1. Also think Cole finishes ahead of Conley stats wise
(06-01-2019, 11:05 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-01-2019, 10:58 PM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]I know he's made some nice plays in underwear practices, but I'm not even sure that Keelan Cole will make the roster.

I doubt Lee is ready to play week 1. Also think Cole finishes ahead of Conley stats wise

I don't know about that. Foles clearly has a special connection with Conley.

I suspect Pryor might just knock Cole off the roster.
(06-02-2019, 12:10 AM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-01-2019, 11:05 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]I doubt Lee is ready to play week 1. Also think Cole finishes ahead of Conley stats wise

I don't know about that. Foles clearly has a special connection with Conley.

I suspect Pryor might just knock Cole off the roster.

Way way too early to say it Foles has a special connection to Conley, they have a connection based on playing on the same team before but that's it until we see it translate in the regular season. 

I think Pryor is more a signing based on Lee's health and ability to play in the first few weeks than anything else.
Pryor has had a better season in the NFL than any of our current guys. Let's give the guy a chance.

I've always had confidence in Cole's ability to run routes and get open. It's making the catch in traffic that he struggled with last year but I think he's also a guy who has a high ceiling. He does the hard stuff well, he's just got to learn to make the catch consistently and hold on to it when he does.
(06-02-2019, 08:23 AM)hb1148 Wrote: [ -> ]

I've always had confidence in Cole's ability to run routes and get open. It's making the catch in traffic that he struggled with last year but I think he's also a guy who has a high ceiling. He does the hard stuff well, he's just got to learn to make the catch consistently and hold on to it when he does.

He's also made critical fumbles repeatedly, especially against the titans. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up cut. If he makes it then he's probably the fifth or sixth guy, which makes him an in season cut risk, too. Dede, Marquis, Chark, Conley, make the likely top four. Is Pryor better than Coles? Maybe, especially if they're looking for a big body possession type guy. If they like Pryor then that would make Coles the sixth receiver. He's made good plays for the Jags, but sometimes you have to let go of players that have made plays for you.
It's too early to predict our WR line ups at this point but I will say this. Our receivers did get much better because they now have an more accurate QB passing them the ball.

Let's wait until mid preseason before we try and predict their pecking order.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
(06-02-2019, 08:43 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-02-2019, 08:23 AM)hb1148 Wrote: [ -> ]I've always had confidence in Cole's ability to run routes and get open. It's making the catch in traffic that he struggled with last year but I think he's also a guy who has a high ceiling. He does the hard stuff well, he's just got to learn to make the catch consistently and hold on to it when he does.

He's also made critical fumbles repeatedly, especially against the titans. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up cut. If he makes it then he's probably the fifth or sixth guy, which makes him an in season cut risk, too. Dede, Marquis, Chark, Conley, make the likely top four. Is Pryor better than Coles? Maybe, especially if they're looking for a big body possession type guy. If they like Pryor then that would make Coles the sixth receiver. He's made good plays for the Jags, but sometimes you have to let go of players that have made plays for you.
Of the six, one will likely get hurt in preseason play, so this debate is probably moot. Or Pryor and Cole will both make the team with Lee starting on the PUP list.
(06-02-2019, 08:23 AM)hb1148 Wrote: [ -> ]

I don't know... I've seen Cole make some nice contested catches. What irked me is when he'd drop simple passes that should be caught.
If OTA reports count then every team is tied for the best WR corps in the league. It's hilarious how much beat writers looooove embellishing how good pass catchers are looking in underwear.
(06-02-2019, 02:10 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]If OTA reports count then every team is tied for the best WR corps in the league. It's hilarious how much beat writers looooove embellishing how good pass catchers are looking in underwear.

I don't remember our WRs standing out at all last year.  2 years ago Cole stood out and had a great rookie season.
(06-02-2019, 02:19 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-02-2019, 02:10 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]If OTA reports count then every team is tied for the best WR corps in the league. It's hilarious how much beat writers looooove embellishing how good pass catchers are looking in underwear.

I don't remember our WRs standing out at all last year.  2 years ago Cole stood out and had a great rookie season.

Last year they were hyping Moncrief and Cole a ton in camp, happens every year
(06-02-2019, 02:24 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-02-2019, 02:19 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]I don't remember our WRs standing out at all last year.  2 years ago Cole stood out and had a great rookie season.

Last year they were hyping Moncrief and Cole a ton in camp, happens every year

Cole was hyped going into the year because of his rookie year not because of what he was doing in OTA and training camp.  He stood our in OTAs and TC  the year prior and had a great season.  Moncrief on the other hand was a horrible signing and most knew it but was hyped by one or 2 posters on this board.  I remember him having 1 or 2 nice plays last off season but that was about it, Oesher talks highly of everyone, not just the WR.
(06-02-2019, 08:43 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-02-2019, 08:23 AM)hb1148 Wrote: [ -> ]I've always had confidence in Cole's ability to run routes and get open. It's making the catch in traffic that he struggled with last year but I think he's also a guy who has a high ceiling. He does the hard stuff well, he's just got to learn to make the catch consistently and hold on to it when he does.

Yeah he did have some bad moments last year but it's not the first time a player has made some critical turnovers early in their careers. Sophomore slump maybe. He's probably one of the more physically talented receivers on the roster, if he could learn better ball security I'd put him in the rotation with Dede, Lee and Chark. More competition is better.
(06-02-2019, 02:35 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-02-2019, 02:24 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]Last year they were hyping Moncrief and Cole a ton in camp, happens every year

Cole was hyped going into the year because of his rookie year not because of what he was doing in OTA and training camp.  He stood our in OTAs and TC  the year prior and had a great season.  Moncrief on the other hand was a horrible signing and most knew it but was hyped by one or 2 posters on this board.  I remember him having 1 or 2 nice plays last off season but that was about it, Oesher talks highly of everyone, not just the WR.

You aren't following. Cole performed amazing in camp last year, Moncrief did well too , WRs are hyped up every year by every team in camp because its the easiest position to make plays at in these practices. It means very little. 

Just look back to the days when camp reports made Mike Brown seem like a pro bowl WR

I dont read Oehser
(06-02-2019, 02:41 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-02-2019, 02:35 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]Cole was hyped going into the year because of his rookie year not because of what he was doing in OTA and training camp.  He stood our in OTAs and TC  the year prior and had a great season.  Moncrief on the other hand was a horrible signing and most knew it but was hyped by one or 2 posters on this board.  I remember him having 1 or 2 nice plays last off season but that was about it, Oesher talks highly of everyone, not just the WR.

You aren't following. Cole performed amazing in camp last year, Moncrief did well too , WRs are hyped up every year by every team in camp because its the easiest position to make plays at in these practices. It means very little. 

Just look back to the days when camp reports made Mike Brown seem like a pro bowl WR

I dont read Oehser
I follow every year.  Cole stood out much more the year prior.  He was an UDRFA and we knew about him before the sseason even started.  He was killing it and beating the starting secondary in practice.  Last year I remember the D getting the best of the offense almost every practice.  Actually the year before as well but Cole was standing out just like A Rob and Hurns were a few years before when they both got 1000 yards.
(06-02-2019, 03:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-02-2019, 02:41 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]You aren't following. Cole performed amazing in camp last year, Moncrief did well too , WRs are hyped up every year by every team in camp because its the easiest position to make plays at in these practices. It means very little. 

I dont read Oehser
I follow every year.  Cole stood out much more the year prior.  He was an UDRFA and we a out him before the sseason even started.  He was killing it and beating the starting secondary in practice.  Last year I remember the D getting the best of the offense almost every practice.  Actually the year before as well but Cole was standing out just like A Rob and Hurns were a few years before when they both got 1000 yards.

No you aren't following the point that WRs are hyped up every camp by every team in the league, due to the nature of the offseason practices. Its meaningless at this section of the year.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5