Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Offseason Flash - 2019
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Thought this could be a fun topic at this time of year.
Between now and late August, we're bound to hear about a number of guys who are "flashing" or showing "flashes" in OTA's, mini camp and training camp. 

Here's one off-the-radar guy to kick things off that a few local beat guys have been commenting on a bit. 
Hays Carlyon in particular says this kid has been catching everything and impressing:
[Image: giphy.gif]

CJ Board - 6'1"  - 184  -  ran a 4.42 at his 2017 pro day and was signed undrafted by the ravens.
Jags signed him to a futures contract back in December. 
He wears #16
CHARLES SHARON!
(06-07-2019, 01:30 PM)NCJag Wrote: [ -> ]CHARLES SHARON!

Cortez Hankton, If only I had a buck every time Vic referred to him as a jar on the shelf.
Chad Owens
(06-07-2019, 01:34 PM)Mikey Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-07-2019, 01:30 PM)NCJag Wrote: [ -> ]CHARLES SHARON!

Cortez Hankton, If only I had a buck every time Vic referred to him as a jar on the shelf.

At least Cortez had some legit NFL gametime receptions.  Whatever year it was, all summer people SWORE Sharon was gonna shock the world. Might as well throw Troy Williamson on there as well. I thought ONE DAY he would figure out the hands to go along with the speed and we would have a decent receiver
Anybody remember Curtis Marsh? We all thought we had a 7th round steal.
I'll reserve my opinion(s) until the pads are dawned. I feel that our receiving Corp will be revamped. At least half of it anyway.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
(06-07-2019, 05:34 PM)NH3 Wrote: [ -> ]I'll reserve my opinion(s) until the pads are dawned. I feel that our receiving Corp will be revamped. At least half of it anyway.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

dawned?
(06-07-2019, 05:35 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-07-2019, 05:34 PM)NH3 Wrote: [ -> ]I'll reserve my opinion(s) until the pads are dawned. I feel that our receiving Corp will be revamped. At least half of it anyway.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

dawned?

They start practice a lot earlier.

How about John Broussard? Didn't he also catch a TD pass on the first play of the season?
I remember when Jason Hill was sure to be our savior at split end.

And who remembers Kevin "Dreamcatcher" Elliott?
(06-07-2019, 05:35 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

dawned?

Yes, dawned, (put on).

NH3...
(06-08-2019, 07:06 AM)NH3 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-07-2019, 05:35 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]dawned?

Yes, dawned, (put on).

NH3...

Donned.
(06-08-2019, 07:06 AM)NH3 Wrote: [ -> ]

Yes, dawned, (put on).

NH3...

"donned"
(06-08-2019, 07:07 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-08-2019, 07:06 AM)NH3 Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, dawned, (put on).

NH3...

"donned"

I beat you to it.
(06-07-2019, 12:52 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Thought this could be a fun topic at this time of year.

I was wrong

(06-08-2019, 07:08 AM)Rico Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-08-2019, 07:07 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]"donned"

I beat you to it.

I'm glad you can be quick about something these days. Have you trained one of the new hounds to fetch you a beer yet?

Tongue
(06-08-2019, 07:09 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-07-2019, 12:52 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Thought this could be a fun topic at this time of year.

I was wrong

But it is fun, remembering all the times we got fired up about some preseason hero who didn't make the slightest mark on Jaguars history.  

Heck, we could even go into late-round draft picks we thought were a "steal" and didn't do anything much for us at all.  Like Chris Doering.  Or Michael Bennett.  Or Sheldon Day.  How many times have we read, "They're really high on so-and-so" who was drafted late the previous year.  I remember reading that about Jonathan Woodard.  How many times has Jeff Lageman said some guy has the most talent he's ever seen, for example Akin Ayodele?  Lageman said he had the most talent he'd ever seen in a linebacker.
(06-09-2019, 06:29 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-08-2019, 07:09 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I was wrong

But it is fun, remembering all the times we got fired up about some preseason hero who didn't make the slightest mark on Jaguars history.  

Heck, we could even go into late-round draft picks we thought were a "steal" and didn't do anything much for us at all.  Like Chris Doering.  Or Michael Bennett.  Or Sheldon Day.  How many times have we read, "They're really high on so-and-so" who was drafted late the previous year.  I remember reading that about Jonathan Woodard.  How many times has Jeff Lageman said some guy has the most talent he's ever seen, for example Akin Ayodele?  Lageman said he had the most talent he'd ever seen in a linebacker.

It is good. I forgot about Akin- when I first got season tix in 2004, I got one of those silly recorded calls from one of the Jaguars players. It was Ayodele and he was saying the upcoming season was going to be a good one and they were looking forward to seeing me at Alltel Stadium or something like that. I thought it was cool.

Sheldon Day is still around...SF 49ers.

Storm Johnson was a steal, I tell you, a steal.
(06-09-2019, 07:46 AM)PF* Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-09-2019, 06:29 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]But it is fun, remembering all the times we got fired up about some preseason hero who didn't make the slightest mark on Jaguars history.  

It is good. I forgot about Akin- when I first got season tix in 2004, I got one of those silly recorded calls from one of the Jaguars players. It was Ayodele and he was saying the upcoming season was going to be a good one and they were looking forward to seeing me at Alltel Stadium or something like that. I thought it was cool.

Sheldon Day is still around...SF 49ers.

Storm Johnson was a steal, I tell you, a steal.

Ayodele was a great tackling RB. You can rely on him to stay him his gap and to always tackle his guy. That said, he was the opposite of a big play guy. Simply put, the OLB was afraid of the football itself. You'd never once saw Ayodele try to actually defend a pass, and for that matter, he never did have more than 2 passes defended in a season with the Jaguars. Rather, he'd stick close to his guy letting the receiver make the catch uncontested, and then he was quick to tackle the guy. I actually feel like he did that on purpose to pad his tackle count, although you might see him force an occasional fumble after the catch.

Sheldon Day was kind of like Abry Jones. Good enough to stick but never to start.

Storm Johnson was flat out the worst NFL RB I've ever witnessed.
(06-07-2019, 06:17 PM)PF* Wrote: [ -> ]

They start practice a lot earlier.

How about John Broussard? Didn't he also catch a TD pass on the first play of the season?

John Broussard came to mind immediately. I don't think it was the first play of the season, but it was early in that game and Garrard hit him on a skinny post for a 50 or 60 yard TD.  I remember being elated.  Then I never heard the name Broussard called ever again!
(06-09-2019, 06:29 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-08-2019, 07:09 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I was wrong

Don't get me started on Chris Doering.  Good grief.

Shaking my head in dismay at how obscenely overrated he was.
Pages: 1 2