Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: O LINE- SACKS GIVEN UP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Good news is the O line continues to improve a LITTLE BIT. I expect more now that Jokeel is gone....

2014- 71 sacks given up (55- Bortles/ 16- Henne)

2015- 51 sacks given up 

2016- 48 sacks given up (12 sacks given up so far- on pace for 48)

Any improvement is some improvement; just need the running game to pick up.
Quote:Good news is the O line continues to improve a LITTLE BIT. I expect more now that Jokeel is gone....

2015- 51 sacks given up 

The protection so far this year has been above average, definitely good enough to give Blake more than enough time to go through his reads. Blake is a QB that will always absorb more sacks because of his style of play, similar to (an early) Roethilisberger and Andrew Luck. The more decisive he gets the better the "protection" will be.
Quote:The protection so far this year has been above average, definitely good enough to give Blake more than enough time to go through his reads. Blake is a QB that will always absorb more sacks because of his style of play, similar to (an early) Roethilisberger and Andrew Luck. The more decisive he gets the better the "protection" will be.

I wouldn't say above average hahahaha. Jags rank 27th in sacks allowed and 31st in running game. The o line is still bad. Just a tad improved.
There are no qualms with the pass protection for me. Blake has had plenty of time and plenty large enough pockets to be effective. 

The run blocking before last game was a problem, obviously, and I suspect will stay a problem as we face teams that aren't the Colts jello front 7. 

I know a few scouts and they say the oline is great.
Quote:I wouldn't say above average hahahaha. Jags rank 27th in sacks allowed and 31st in running game. The o line is still bad. Just a tad improved.

How many of those sacks is Blake responsible for himself? I don't think our line in terms of pass protection has been bad at all this year, he's had more than enough time. The ball is not coming out quick enough, there's a lethargic-ness (if you will) to the Jags passing game, they can never really get into a rhythm. It's a product of the QB not processing information fast enough, which is preventing him to make quick decisions, that has nothing to do with the o-line and everything to do with Blake. 
Quote:Good news is the O line continues to improve a LITTLE BIT. I expect more now that Jokeel is gone....

2015- 51 sacks given up 

Let's be honest here.  How many of those 12 sacks are on Bortles?
Quote:I know a few scouts and they say the oline is great.

In terms of pass pro, the o-line has been fantastic
Quote:Let's be honest here. How many of those 12 sacks are on Bortles?

Maybe one or two but on the other hand, how many sacks did Blake avoid?

It's a two way street.

Either way, the O Line is still a major weakness.
Quote:I wouldn't say above average hahahaha. Jags rank 27th in sacks allowed and 31st in running game. The o line is still bad. Just a tad improved.

Overall rankings are a little bit skewed right now since there are some teams that haven't played 4 games (bye weeks).

But, yeah. The O-line has been a huge problem for the past few years. Everyone knows that. However, it is getting slightly better.

It could be worse. Look at the Colts O-line, lol.

Geez,, they're freaking terrible.
Quote:Let's be honest here.  How many of those 12 sacks are on Bortles?

I guess everything bortles fault huh? Haters going to hate.
^ he didn't say "everything is Bortles' fault".

Every QB in the league ends up causing his own sack every now and then. It's a fact.

This team will never be consistent winners until the trenches on both sides are much better. Good teams have good O-lines and D-lines. Always been that way, always will.

2015- 51 sacks given up 

I know Luke is everyone's favorite whipping boy, but how many sacks has he given up this year? Hint...zero this year. I wouldn't expect drastic change in the overall number unless the run game improves.
Quote:I know a few scouts and they say the oline is great.
LOL GTFO. Bortles arm is hit on nearly 10% of his passes. The Jags are last in rushing. You may want to watch New England or Dallas to see what a REAL O line looks like.

The Jags pocket is soooo small, Bortles has to run for his life 50% of the time. Jags get pushed around in the trenches and the stats prove it. Watch Tom Brady's pocket and you'll learn something.
Hes probably has took 3 or 4 sacks himself but what about getting balls batted down that's not on the oline all on him.
Quote:The protection so far this year has been above average, definitely good enough to give Blake more than enough time to go through his reads. Blake is a QB that will always absorb more sacks because of his style of play, similar to (an early) Roethilisberger and Andrew Luck. The more decisive he gets the better the "protection" will be.

Actually what I have seen Blake do many times is avoid sacks by scrambling out of the pocket when a defender is on him. It looks like a sack is inevitable and somehow #5 makes an Aaron Rodgers style play.
Quote:Hes probably has took 3 or 4 sacks himself but what about getting balls batted down that's not on the offensive line all on him.

Batted balls often if not always are on the offensive line. That is part of the OL's job in pass protection.
The pass pro has been slightly improved.  I wouldn't say Blake has a clean pocket, but its manageable albeit small.  We are still near the bottom of the league in terms of offensive line play.  I'd put us in the 25-28 range without having seen every other line play this year.   We still have 3 positions where we are getting mostly backup level play from. 

Quote:Batted balls often if not always are on the offensive line. That is part of the OL's job in pass protection.

Some are on the oline but not ones i've seen this year. Bortles regressing and bringing the ball down to his waist and staring down his receivers is part of it..
For now, I am disappointed in Parnell. Penalties and he seems slower.

Luke is average, I don't expect much more from him.

Linder is a good center, but I'd rather see a lineup of Beachum-Cann-???-Linder-Parnell.

Linder was so good as a guard, I hope we could find a good center to fix the Oline.

Pages: 1 2