Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Too soon to call Ramsey a shutdown corner?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I mean. He puts up a real good argument so far.

I think he's easily a top 5 player on the roster right now and you could argue he's been the best player so far this season.

He good.
Wait until he has played a full season to think about using that term.

He will have his fair share of rookie mistakes, but he is an absolute stud. Can't wait for him to get his first interception and see him with the ball. I kind of want to see him back there for one punt return. Just to see. 

Was sad to see the blown coverage, but I guess it was a communication error. It's not like he was beat one on one, so he has been a shut down corner so far.

A mental error, not a physical one.  He's been real solid in coverage and a sure tackler.  Great start to his career so far.  Even Neon Deon got beat a few times his first year. 

Quote:Was sad to see the blown coverage, but I guess it was a communication error. It's not like he was beat one on one, so he has been a shut down corner so far.

Trent Green never used the word miscommunication. It was all on Ramsey. I expect the coaches to clean that up.
Quote:Trent Green never used the word miscommunication. It was all on Ramsey. I expect the coaches to clean that up.

Tweet from Ryan O'Halloran (@ryanohalloran) - 2. DC Todd Wash blamed himself for 64-yard TD pass by Colts, said he didn't communicate play call properly.

<a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/ryanohalloran/status/782636730948153345'>https://twitter.com/ryanohalloran/status/782636730948153345</a>
1 obvious mistake over 4 games as a rookie, not too shabby. Not shutdown yet, but definitely solid, and solid is good.
Playing pretty darn good. Definitely not one of the players we have to worry about.

Quote:1 obvious mistake over 4 games as a rookie, not too shabby. Not shutdown yet, but definitely solid, and solid is good.

Yep, that is what we expect to see a rookie do. Limit his mistakes and play well enough to keep his starting job.
From Rotoworld:

Quote:T.Y. Hilton caught 7-of-10 targets for 42 yards and a touchdown Week 4 against the Jaguars.

Hilton was held in check most of the game by rookie CB Jalen Ramsey, who ate his lunch a couple times at the line of scrimmage.

Now if only we could teach Prince and House how to play press coverage...
Too soon to call him anything really other than a physical prototype of what you want at corner. But I am thrilled about what I've seen through four games with him. Same for young lions Fowler and Ngakoue. Malik played great.

I think my favorite aspect of Ramsey outside of the obvious athletic talent is his fire/confidence. As Wash put it,

"His competitiveness is off the charts"
Was he at fault for that long TD?  The announcer kept saying so but you cant really be sure if you dont know what the defensive play call was.  

You can see teams throw away from him. Luck didn't even look his way most of the game.

Quote:Was he at fault for that long TD? The announcer kept saying so but you cant really be sure if you dont know what the defensive play call was.

Wash said it was miscommunication on his part. Probably coach speak though.
I wouldnt use that term this early but man has he done very very well thus far.

He has played better than I expected at corner.  He is our best corner right now and hopefully he keeps improving.  I think he matches up well with his size in a couple weeks against Jeffery, cant wait for that matchup

He's been as advertised. Very impressive as is, and still has plenty of room to grow into something extra special. 

Quote:Was sad to see the blown coverage, but I guess it was a communication error. It's not like he was beat one on one, so he has been a shut down corner so far.
Those are going to happen, especially for a rookie.  They were talking about it during the game and said that the colts ran the same play earlier in the game and he bit on it, but they didn't go to that receiver.  The next time they ran it, he did the same thing and the end result was a big play.  It happens.  But, overall, the kid has lived up to expectations.  Wait until he actually starts to see the game slow down for him. 
Pages: 1 2 3