Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Impressions from the Panthers Game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Twenty five years later, while the hatred isn't as fresh as it was, I still always want to beat those guys.  Sadly, it wasn't to be today.  While there's lots of blame to go around, there were some good performances from the good guys.  My thoughts:

1.  One of the fingers of blame is pointed squarely at the defense.  Everyone talks about how the modern game is oriented towards the passing game.  But the last two weeks, one for us and this week against us, demonstrates how important running the ball and stopping the run continues to be in football.  Run defense has been this team's achilles heel on defense for the past few seasons.  Today, porous run defense allowed a superior athlete in Christian McCaffrey to dominate the game.  But once he left, the defense was gashed for two big runs by their backup.  While I do not know the specific assignments for the run defense, it seems the back half of the defense, from the linebackers back, was out of position on all of those long runs.   What's more troubling is that the defense has allowed 24 points or more in three of the first five games.  The scary thing for me is only one of those three games can be attributed to Ramsey's absence at face value, unless somehow you can say the safeties were out of position in run fits because they were concerned with helping to protect Herndon, but that seems a stretch.  Irrespective of the causes, that is unacceptable.

2.  Another finger of blame is pointed directly at the three turnovers that led directly to 14 Carolina points.  Norwell got completely driven backwards into Minshew, causeing the fumble that got returned for the TD.  The only thing missing on the play was the beeping to let people behind him know he was in full reverse.  I can't see how Norwell was named All Pro in Carolina based upon how he has performed with us the past year and a quarter.  The first was the botched handoff (?) to the FB which gave Carolina the ball in point blank scoring range.  The third turnover happened late in the game, where Minshew was trying to do too much.  If all three fumbles are credited to Minshew, then naturally Minshew needs to hold onto the ball better.  But I don't believe he is to blame for the second one.  Though the final score was close, we aren't team enough to overcome three turnovers leading to 14 Carolina points and expect to win.

3.  The third finger is blame points directly to a familiar gremlin for us-penalties.  Whenever the defense had a chance to put Carolina behind the chains in unfavorable down and distance situations, penalties would negate the play that presented those opportunities.  We hit their QB and forced a fumble, and it was negated by a penalty, and there was a short pass to the right on a first down that went for like a 3 yard loss that was negated by another penalty.  Furthermore, there was a punt that would have had them pinned back deep, only to have Jacobs line up too far off the ball.  Even Bouye gave up a huge completion in the second half when we had them in 3rd and long yardage, which could have given us another possession had he stopped the play.  There were back to back ineligible receiver downfield penalties against us too.  When will we nip these mistakes in the bud?  If the refs were as willing to call penalties on the other side as they are with us, it wouldn't be so bad.  But there was a face mask where they picked up the flag, and they didn't call pass interference at the end of the game, nor would they even bother to review it despite Marrone's pleadings and them being given extra time when Carolina called time out.  Nevertheless, these penalties are killing us.

4.  I realize this sounds a lot like "So Mrs. Lincoln, aside from the whole bullet in your husband's head thing, how did you enjoy the play?"  However, the above described fumbles aside, Minshew had another very good game, throwing two more TDs, and basically drive us the length of the field to put us in position to win against one of the best pass defenses in the league.  Once again, Minshew made some very good decisions and some absolutely clutch throws.  The fumbles were troubling, but I attribute one to a rookie in a desperate situation trying to do too much.  But his performance was still plenty good enough to continue to inspire confidence in his abilities.  In fact, he has the look of potentially being one of the best two minute QBs in the game for years to come.

5.  Leonard Fournette had another good performance running the ball after a slow start to the season.  He had another 100 yard peformance and scoring his first TD of the year.  He threw a great pass block on a blitzing LB early in the game that enabled Minshew to complete a pass to get us some field position.  He seems light years away from the guy that had everyone shaking their head in disappointment last year and seems "reformed" for lack of better phrasing.   We need that to continue if Minshew and the rest of the offense is going to be productive.  Also on offense, D.J. Chark had another monster game, with over 160 yards receiving and two TDs, with the amazing catch that was surprisingly upheld on review that set up Fournette's score. 

6.  Yannick Ngakoue showed up in a big way today.  He got his first sack of the season, just missed a second sack by maybe a foot as the QB reached the LOS, had a TFL and a forced fumble.  If he plays like this for the remainder of the year, he will get the contract he seeks.

7.  Rookie Watch:
     1.  Josh Allen-got another sack looping inside on a stunt with Calais Campbell
     2. Jawaan Taylor-I don't think he struggled as much today as he did last week.
     3.  Josh Oliver-DNP despire fully participating in practice this week.  Perhaps coaches don't want to risk aggravating the hamstring.  Perhaps they had concerns about his conditioning.  But given O'Shaughnessey's injury today, he will need to play starting next week.
     4.  Quincy Williams-I didn't see him make any plays.
     5.  Ryquell Armstead-Played but did not stand out
     6.  Gardner Minshew-See enttry 4 above.
     7.  Dontavious Russell-DNP
     8.  Andrew Wingard-Played after Harrison went out with a knee injry but did not stand out in a good or bad way.

8.   I thought special teams, especially Cook, had a superlative game.

9.  Bottom line-we lost a winnable game and have fallen a game behind Houston, but all is not lost.  We seem to have found a running game, and most importantly, despite the injury to Foles, we have legitimate QB play.  But whether we get Ramsey back into the lineup or not, we MUST do better on defense and do a better job of eliminating penalties if this team is to show significant improvement from last year.
The good-The team played hard and competed. These guys are fun to watch again.
The bad-it hard to win a game when you loose the turnover battle.
The ugly-the lack of discipline and excessive penalties are really getting old-something really has to be done to correct this trend
You nailed most of the points spot on. Everyone knew the key to winning this game was going to be containing CMC... and that didn't happen.

Hopefully the defense can learn from this game, with a similar RB in Alvin Kamara facing us next week. We can't let him run wild. Would also be really helpful for Jalen to play next week to match up on Michael Thomas.
We missed Oshagnassey out there today. Especially on those jump balls at the end.

But wow! Talk about playing exciting and meaningful football. This kid Minchew is magical. He was flipping the ball like Favre to Fournette today. He throws darts and he is so accurate.

I love how he steps up in the pocket and keeps those eyes down field. He really is the QB we’ve been looking for since Brunell went to DC.

Fournette is a grown man out there. I really hope he leads the NFL in rushing this year so he can quiet all of his haters. He is running hard as ever and looks quicker than usual. The kid is playing hard.

Campbell looked a little gassed out there today. He still dominates plays at times, but they stretched him out today and ran away from him all day. They ran some kind of zone scheme and it allowed cut back lanes.

Yannick is standing up on some downs, so I’m not sure what Wash has going with that but I want Yannick’s hand in the dirt and screaming off the edge.

Dareus got moved around today.

Jack knocked the heck out of McCaffrey that ended his day. Jack was also out of position a few times.

Goode played Good in my opinion. He’s a thumper with pretty good speed. Maybe Williams got hurt or winded?

Our safeties have to get better. If we’re going to have any type of chance, these guys have to step it up. Give us something, come on!

The Offensive Line is really jellin with Richardson giving them a lift.

Lambo is kicking soooo good. Our punter is doing his job.

That leaves the WR....Chark has been a beast out there. He has like 5 TDs and he’s catching everything thrown his way. Chark is our WR1 and I’m just fine with that. His routes are so crisp. Westbrook hasn’t been getting his touches like usual so maybe it’s game planning? The stronger Chark gets the better he will be.

Oliver should be ready next week which could give us a boost on offense.

We’re clicking on offense, gotta get that run defense to improve. Overall we are finally enjoying exciting Jaguar football again. It feels like 1996 around here. We have been in every game except KC.

2-3, I’ll take it. Today’s loss was an NFC loss so...
(10-06-2019, 05:50 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Twenty five years later, while the hatred isn't as fresh as it was, I still always want to beat those guys.  Sadly, it wasn't to be today.  While there's lots of blame to go around, there were some good performances from the good guys.  My thoughts:

1.  One of the fingers of blame is pointed squarely at the defense.  Everyone talks about how the modern game is oriented towards the passing game.  But the last two weeks, one for us and this week against us, demonstrates how important running the ball and stopping the run continues to be in football.  Run defense has been this team's achilles heel on defense for the past few seasons.  Today, porous run defense allowed a superior athlete in Christian McCaffrey to dominate the game.  But once he left, the defense was gashed for two big runs by their backup.  While I do not know the specific assignments for the run defense, it seems the back half of the defense, from the linebackers back, was out of position on all of those long runs.   What's more troubling is that the defense has allowed 24 points or more in three of the first five games.  The scary thing for me is only one of those three games can be attributed to Ramsey's absence at face value, unless somehow you can say the safeties were out of position in run fits because they were concerned with helping to protect Herndon, but that seems a stretch.  Irrespective of the causes, that is unacceptable.

2.  Another finger of blame is pointed directly at the three turnovers that led directly to 14 Carolina points.  Norwell got completely driven backwards into Minshew, causeing the fumble that got returned for the TD.  The only thing missing on the play was the beeping to let people behind him know he was in full reverse.  I can't see how Norwell was named All Pro in Carolina based upon how he has performed with us the past year and a quarter.  The first was the botched handoff (?) to the FB which gave Carolina the ball in point blank scoring range.  The third turnover happened late in the game, where Minshew was trying to do too much.  If all three fumbles are credited to Minshew, then naturally Minshew needs to hold onto the ball better.  But I don't believe he is to blame for the second one.  Though the final score was close, we aren't team enough to overcome three turnovers leading to 14 Carolina points and expect to win.

3.  The third finger is blame points directly to a familiar gremlin for us-penalties.  Whenever the defense had a chance to put Carolina behind the chains in unfavorable down and distance situations, penalties would negate the play that presented those opportunities.  We hit their QB and forced a fumble, and it was negated by a penalty, and there was a short pass to the right on a first down that went for like a 3 yard loss that was negated by another penalty.  Furthermore, there was a punt that would have had them pinned back deep, only to have Jacobs line up too far off the ball.  Even Bouye gave up a huge completion in the second half when we had them in 3rd and long yardage, which could have given us another possession had he stopped the play.  There were back to back ineligible receiver downfield penalties against us too.  When will we nip these mistakes in the bud?  If the refs were as willing to call penalties on the other side as they are with us, it wouldn't be so bad.  But there was a face mask where they picked up the flag, and they didn't call pass interference at the end of the game, nor would they even bother to review it despite Marrone's pleadings and them being given extra time when Carolina called time out.  Nevertheless, these penalties are killing us.

4.  I realize this sounds a lot like "So Mrs. Lincoln, aside from the whole bullet in your husband's head thing, how did you enjoy the play?"  However, the above described fumbles aside, Minshew had another very good game, throwing two more TDs, and basically drive us the length of the field to put us in position to win against one of the best pass defenses in the league.  Once again, Minshew made some very good decisions and some absolutely clutch throws.  The fumbles were troubling, but I attribute one to a rookie in a desperate situation trying to do too much.  But his performance was still plenty good enough to continue to inspire confidence in his abilities.  In fact, he has the look of potentially being one of the best two minute QBs in the game for years to come.

5.  Leonard Fournette had another good performance running the ball after a slow start to the season.  He had another 100 yard peformance and scoring his first TD of the year.  He threw a great pass block on a blitzing LB early in the game that enabled Minshew to complete a pass to get us some field position.  He seems light years away from the guy that had everyone shaking their head in disappointment last year and seems "reformed" for lack of better phrasing.   We need that to continue if Minshew and the rest of the offense is going to be productive.  Also on offense, D.J. Chark had another monster game, with over 160 yards receiving and two TDs, with the amazing catch that was surprisingly upheld on review that set up Fournette's score. 

6.  Yannick Ngakoue showed up in a big way today.  He got his first sack of the season, just missed a second sack by maybe a foot as the QB reached the LOS, had a TFL and a forced fumble.  If he plays like this for the remainder of the year, he will get the contract he seeks.

7.  Rookie Watch:
     3.  Josh Oliver-DNP despire fully participating in practice this week.  Perhaps coaches don't want to risk aggravating the hamstring.  Perhaps they had concerns about his conditioning.  But given O'Shaughnessey's injury today, he will need to play starting next week.
     8.  Andrew Wingard-Played after Harrison went out with a knee injry but did not stand out in a good or bad way.

9.  Bottom line-we lost a winnable game and have fallen a game behind Houston, but all is not lost.  We seem to have found a running game, and most importantly, despite the injury to Foles, we have legitimate QB play.  But whether we get Ramsey back into the lineup or not, we MUST do better on defense and do a better job of eliminating penalties if this team is to show significant improvement from last year.

+1

Thanks for this, Bullseye.
Another good recap, Bullseye. Your observations are usually right on-target. I'd like to add a few of my own:

1. This team has enough talent to contend in the AFC South with the Texans. Even when they play poorly on defense, they have a chance to win at the end.

2. After more than a quarter of the season, there are at least 4 Jaguars who are deserving of Pro-Bowl recognition: Chark and Fournette on offense and both of our kickers. No other kickers or punters are playing better than
Lambo and Cooke.

3. Back to Chark, this guy has exceeded all expectations. He has everything you want in a number 1 receiver and will continue to get better. I expect him to be regularly double-covered very soon opening things up for Westbrook and Conley.

4. Minshew has already proven that he is here to stay. How amazing that Caldwell "lucked" into getting this guy in the 6th round. His performance so far has been great, but his "entertainment value" is what I like most. I expect him to finally give the Jaguars positive national recognition. Don't be surprised if his jersey becomes the number 1 national seller by this team next year. I was thinking about another sports figure he could be compared to and there really aren't many. However, if I had to pick one it would be Mark "the bird" Fidrych." He also took the sports world by storm due to a combination of talent and unique personality. Hopefully, Gardner will not suffer from a career ending injury early in his career like Fidrych.

5. Finally, on a negative note, the defense needs to turn it around immediately or this team is going nowhere. Yannick seems to be getting over his injury which will help, but their inability to stop the run today was frustrating beyond description. McCaffrey is very good, but the Jaguars poor tackling made him look like a combination of Jim Brown, Barry Sanders and Walter Payton.
Quincy Williams definitely had his welcome to the league moment.
(10-06-2019, 06:33 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]Quincy Williams definitely had his welcome to the league moment.

How? I missed a few plays.
This loss stings, but it feels different. I'm still confident we can have a good year.

Minshew balled out today, and nobody should hold those fumbles against him. Norwell was getting torn up all game. The fumbles can be fixed. Offense is good to go IMO, and getting Oliver will be big.

We have ourselves a true #1 receiver in Chark, and paired with Dede will be great for us for years to come.

Fournette ran well.

Defense gave up too many big plays. They wont be that bad all year, CMC does that to people. If Jalen comes back he will give our D the boost it needs.

Cant wait for Sunday so we can get to 3-3!!! Beat NO and we are sitting pretty with games vs Cin and NYJ coming up!!
Honestly this is the first time in a long time that a loss didn't seem like another miserable experience. To be in it to the end is great in the NFL. What is good going forward is the incremental improvement for the offensive line that is really young overall. There is a lot of room for growth for these guys. It hasn't been there in so so long.

The defense needs to tighten it up overall.

The refs are adding to our penalty counts. They are just looking for everything. And as a counterpoint, how often do you see facemask penalties picked up? Jeez. On one of the first downs in the fourth quarter, Campbell was mauled and pulled out of the play and no call.
I remember Campbell being pulled on a big play as well. Blatantly holding call.
you made some great points bullseye,and i love the fact you put the turnovers in your points.  take away the 2 turn overs by the jags that lead to 14 points ,and the final score is jags 27   panthers  20

my point is like bullseye said you don't win games turning the ball over that many times.
Thanks Bullseye, good job; you too JF24, good effort there.
Good read all around.
(10-06-2019, 05:50 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Twenty five years later, while the hatred isn't as fresh as it was, I still always want to beat those guys.  Sadly, it wasn't to be today.  While there's lots of blame to go around, there were some good performances from the good guys.  My thoughts:

7.  Rookie Watch:

Well said Bullseye. A frustrating day but only because it was so close.

1- D was bad today. Right from that first drive we were giving up penalties and not stopping the run. I'd have rather seen us just stack the box second half and make Allen beat us with his arm. Besides the T*tans game, the D hasn't really shown up.

2- Turnovers really compounded the problems first half. Norwell getting pushed back into the QB, you just dont see that. A botched handoff to a TE playing FB, I get that. And the 3rd was Minshew trying to make a play.

3- Penalties are driving me up the wall. Week after week it's the same stuff. Holding, hands to the face, hands to the back. We kill our drives and extend theirs. If we could just clean that up it would make such a difference and games would be so much easier. 

4- Minshew keeps smashing those challenges. The knee seemed to limit him more than I expected and the first few drives he seemed to just stand back there and the line just give him time but once Carolina got pressure he had to start scrambling and he didn't get much help back there.

5- Another strong game for Fournette. Starting to get going. Doing a nice job in the pass game too.

All in all, we did enough to win but found a way to lose. I'm not angry but were so close and where we are failing we can fix. It's just we haven't yet. Still 11 weeks to go, we look to be finding our feet, we can still make something of this season.
(10-06-2019, 06:38 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly this is the first time in a long time that a loss didn't seem like another miserable experience.  To be in it to the end is great in the NFL. What is good going forward is the incremental improvement for the offensive line that is really young overall. There is a lot of room for growth for these guys. It hasn't been there in so so long.

The refs are adding to our penalty counts.  They are just looking for everything.  And as a counterpoint, how often do you see facemask penalties picked up?  Jeez.  On one of the first downs in the fourth quarter, Campbell was mauled and pulled out of the play and no call.

Great point. It did not sting like the rest of them...

Think Ramsey not being their put us in a lot more zone coverage scenarios to shore up the secondary, allowing the running game to soar. Correct me if I’m wrong, but with Ramsey there it’s an entirely different ball game. We are not worried about him being torched like his replacement was last week.
1) defense is garbage
2) offense is good.
(10-06-2019, 07:27 PM)Jagsbch Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-06-2019, 06:38 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly this is the first time in a long time that a loss didn't seem like another miserable experience.  To be in it to the end is great in the NFL. What is good going forward is the incremental improvement for the offensive line that is really young overall. There is a lot of room for growth for these guys. It hasn't been there in so so long.

The refs are adding to our penalty counts.  They are just looking for everything.  And as a counterpoint, how often do you see facemask penalties picked up?  Jeez.  On one of the first downs in the fourth quarter, Campbell was mauled and pulled out of the play and no call.

Great point. It did not sting like the rest of them...

Think Ramsey not being their put us in a lot more zone coverage scenarios to shore up the secondary, allowing the running game to soar. Correct me if I’m wrong, but with Ramsey there it’s an entirely different ball game. We are not worried about him being torched like his replacement was last week.

Unless Ramsey's presence would have made the back seven fit the run gaps properly, or unless Ramsey would have covered McCaffrey, I don't see this.

The wideouts really didn't hurt us too much.  The passing game generally didn't hurt the team too much.

There was that 50 yard bomb on third and long in the second half over Bouye, who had decent coverage.  McCaffrey had a good game receiving, and Jack had no chance on that TD.

Make no mistake, I want Ramsey back into the lineup as fast as possible.

But it was the run defense and turnovers that killed us in this game, not the absence of Ramsey.
I’m thinking if our strong and weak LBs are worried about the passing zones, and the safeties sweating the opposite side of the field of Bouye where Ramsey would normally be....You’re claiming that didn’t play at all into the rushing attack? I find that hard to believe!
(10-06-2019, 06:38 PM)FsuClark08 Wrote: [ -> ]This loss stings, but it feels different. I'm still confident we can have a good year.

Minshew balled out today, and nobody should hold those fumbles against him. Norwell was getting torn up all game. The fumbles can be fixed. Offense is good to go IMO, and getting Oliver will be big.

We have ourselves a true #1 receiver in Chark, and paired with Dede will be great for us for years to come.

Fournette ran well.

Defense gave up too many big plays. They wont be that bad all year, CMC does that to people. If Jalen comes back he will give our D the boost it needs.

Cant wait for Sunday so we can get to 3-3!!! Beat NO and we are sitting pretty with games vs Cin and NYJ coming up!!

They didn't play a very good game and hung with a decent team until the last play. If you believe in moral victories this might qualify.
the loss lifts the panthers to the  super bowl though unforttanttly. the last 2 times jags lost to panthers in a regluar seasonn game panthers went to super bowl in the same year,hopefuly minshew can help keep the same happening from before after jags lose too panthers. the team goes on a loseing streak,and ends upp with loseing record for next few years.
Pages: 1 2 3