Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: 2020 Head Coach— How Appealing is Jax?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Jalen Ramsey is gone along with more than half the starters from the 2017 season. At 2-4, it might be time to usher in a new era in Jax. The Jaguars has 18 picks in the next two drafts including four first rounders, one of the youngest teams in the NFL, and a talented roster. We now have 10 games to see if we have a franchise QB in Gardner Minshew. Let’s speak hypothetically right now, in the event that we clean house, how appealing do you think the Jacksonville Jaguars are as a franchise for potential head coaches? With draft capital to get your pick of the QB litter in the draft, the veteran, or potential OROY at QB, I think we could be a prime spot for a soft rebuild, retool, or reload. We aren’t in a bad cap situation, either. 

2020 Head Coaching Candidates including: Josh McDaniels, Lincoln Riley, Byron Leftwich, Robert Salah, Kellen Moore, Kris Richard.

Who would be your choice?
I guess I should throw my name. It seems like the Jaguars have often quit on Marrone. With that said, I’d love a leader of men... my choice would be Kris Richard
There are only 32 NFL head coaching positions available in the entire universe. And only a handful come open in any given year. If you want to be a head coach, you arent going to pass on the Jags and wait a year or two later for a better option. You jump at the chance.

I don't know enough about the top candidates to offer an opinion. Ideally someone with an aggressive mindset. And preferably an offensive leaning coach. Rules are geared towards the offense.
^^Well said. One would hope a Lincoln Riley jumps are the opportunity
Not very appealing at all. I hope Lane Kiffin is an option, though.
lol at Josh McDaniels up there smh

Lincoln Riley will work wonders for Gardner Minshew. Hire Riley and let him call plays and hire his own staff. He'll hire a DC he can just hand the keys over to.

We're very attractive. With a *potential* franchise QB and multiple high draft picks for at least two years, we're a prime spot.
(10-16-2019, 08:13 AM)rocdee Wrote: [ -> ]lol at Josh McDaniels up there smh

Well, I say McDaniels because he is offensive minded, he’s had experience as a head coach, and when that experiment failed, he returned for 6 more years of tutelage and three more Super Bowls under the greatest head coach of all time. He’s definitely an upgrade over Marrone. McDaniels is still highly sought after and was damn near Indianapolis’ head coach.

I am-
1. Lincoln Riley 
2. Kris Richards
There are 9 starters gone from the starting 22 of 2017.
That is not "more than half."

Aside from that inaccuracy, I think the position will be very appealing to most of the candidates.
Talent, draft capital and a an owner willing to spend money are very good things.

It really just hinges on whether TC is still the czar of football ops and if candidates respond well to that or not.
Some will.

Some won't.

(we also do not have a real list of candidates yet. That will ebb and flow between now and February)
It's a blank slate
(10-16-2019, 07:44 AM)Black and Teal Wrote: [ -> ]Jalen Ramsey is gone along with more than half the starters from the 2017 season. At 2-4, it might be time to usher in a new era in Jax. The Jaguars has 18 picks in the next two drafts including four first rounders, one of the youngest teams in the NFL, and a talented roster. We now have 10 games to see if we have a franchise QB in Gardner Minshew. Let’s speak hypothetically right now, in the event that we clean house, how appealing do you think the Jacksonville Jaguars are as a franchise for potential head coaches? With draft capital to get your pick of the QB litter in the draft, the veteran, or potential OROY at QB, I think we could be a prime spot for a soft rebuild, retool, or reload. We aren’t in a bad cap situation, either. 

2020 Head Coaching Candidates including: Josh McDaniels, Lincoln Riley, Byron Leftwich, Robert Salah, Kellen Moore, Kris Richard.

Who would be your choice?

Very appealing. Khan has shown near saint-like patience and a willingness to spend money. *IF* we completely clean house next year that means a new coach would get to start with a new staff. I have a feeling if that happens, Shad may hire a new GM first and let the GM make the call on the coach. That's still a pretty big if at this point.
the 4 picks in the first round of the next 2 drafts makes it appealing. If Minshew continues to improve and shows that he can be the franchise guy, then we'll have pick of the litter.
(10-16-2019, 08:45 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]There are 9 starters gone from the starting 22 of 2017.  

Aside from that inaccuracy, I think the position will be very appealing to most of the candidates.

1. Blake Bortles
2. Tommy Bohanan
3. Jermey Parnell
4. Allen Hurns
5. Marcedes Lewis
6. Patrick Omameh
7. Tashaun Gipson 
8. Barry Church
9. Jalen Ramsey
10. Telvin Smith
11. Paul Poz
12. Malik Jackson

I count 12. I’ll settle for 11 (Allen Hurns who was hurt) but I think you missed the point. My point was that this team is different. That playoff roster isn’t in resemblance. I’m not trying to argue though, just thought I’d give you perspective for any “inaccuracies” you thought I had.  

And yes— Telvin is not playing for us. Not on our opening day and won’t be a part of our plans going forward. We literally drafted a replacement. If you want credit or a tally for Smith you can have it. But you still missed the point.
(10-16-2019, 09:06 AM)Black and Teal Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-16-2019, 08:45 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]There are 9 starters gone from the starting 22 of 2017.  

1. Blake Bortles
2. Tommy Bohanan
3. Jermey Parnell
4. Allen Hurns
5. Marcedes Lewis
6. Patrick Omameh
7. Tashaun Gipson 
8. Barry Church
9. Jalen Ramsey
10. Telvin Smith
11. Paul Poz
12. Malik Jackson

I count 12. I’ll settle for 11 (Allen Hurns who was hurt) but I think you missed the point. My point was that this team is different. That playoff roster isn’t in resemblance. I’m not trying to argue though, just thought I’d give you perspective for any “inaccuracies” you thought I had.  

And yes— Telvin is not playing for us. Not on our opening day and won’t be a part of our plans going forward. We literally drafted a replacement. If you want credit or a tally for Smith you can have it. But you still missed the point.

I forgot about Telvin in my count. 

Bohanon was not a starter.  He played maybe 25% of the snaps. 

Six of those players have been upgraded now, BTW.
While I still do not foresee an opening at the end of the season, I'd say Eric Bienemy would be a name not listed here that should get some attention.

Reid's tree is all the rage, and experience with a gunslinger like Mahomes would be very appealing to aid in the development of our franchise guy. The only downside may be that he decides to stick it out in KC as HCIW under Reid.
History indicates the Jags are not willing pay the average market value for a Head Coach. Our typical pay is $3m which is on the lower tier of the compensation scale for a Head Coach.
(10-16-2019, 12:03 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]History indicates the Jags are not willing pay the average market value for a Head Coach.  Our typical pay is $3m which is on the lower tier of the compensation scale for a Head Coach.

The history timeline with Khan isn't very long yet, and I'd not be surprised to see him open his wallet for the right candidate. He doesn't seem shy about spending money.
(10-16-2019, 12:03 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]History indicates the Jags are not willing pay the average market value for a Head Coach.  Our typical pay is $3m which is on the lower tier of the compensation scale for a Head Coach.

Well... I mean... the coaches we hired weren't worth any more than that.
If we finish under .500, I have a strong feeling everyone (TC, Caldwell, and Marrone) will be gone. Mr. Khan will not be playing games this offseason....
Khan will pay Lincoln Riley 8M per
(10-16-2019, 12:11 PM)rocdee Wrote: [ -> ]Khan will pay Lincoln Riley 8M per
And he'll turn it down to go to Dallas.

Why on earth would Lincoln Riley leave OU for Jacksonville?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5