Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Doug Marrone on QB decision: “I’ll deal with it when it happens.”
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Doug Marrone won’t “waste my time” with QB decision before he has to.

https://sports.yahoo.com/doug-marrone-wo...32749.html

Sounds more and more like the FO is planning to start Foles when he’s cleared to play. What do you guys think of the situation?

Personally I think you have to roll with Minshew. He gives this team the biggest spark, and his quickness, elusiveness, and escape-ability is favorable behind this mediocre O-Line. To me, it’s his job to lose.
You start Foles when he is healthy. Minshew is fun to watch and has a bright future, but his wins have come against teams with 7 combined wins 8 weeks into the season. We need to pump the breaks a bit on Minny.
(10-28-2019, 11:13 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]You start Foles when he is healthy. Minshew is fun to watch and has a bright future, but his wins have come against teams with 7 combined wins 8 weeks into the season. We need to pump the breaks a bit on Minny.

You make a fair point. But don’t forget, he also kept us in a great position to potentially defeat New Orleans, Houston, and Carolina. Based on Foles’ track record outside of Philly, I’d be willing to bet that he won’t play as well as Minshew has been. I understand we have Flip over here, but I’m just not sure that a statue and immobile QB is going to hold up, or be as effective as Minshew has.
Why announce anything? Let the Colts prepare for both.

I wonder if it would be possible to play both QBs on a regular basis? These 2 guys might have the kind of team-oriented egos to pull it off.

Things would essentially work that way anyway, since if either one is struggling I think Doug would be fairly quick to make a change during a game.
London game will go a long way to make up the minds of the staff for week 11.

I'm good either way.

Stoked to have multiple viable options at QB.
And, yes - DO NOT ANNOUNCE A STARTER!! Gotta make the colts prepare for both.
(10-28-2019, 11:24 AM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: [ -> ]Why announce anything?  Let the Colts prepare for both.

I wonder if it would be possible to play both QBs on a regular basis?  These 2 guys might have the kind of team-oriented egos to pull it off.

Things would essentially work that way anyway, since if either one is struggling I think Doug would be fairly quick to make a change during a game.

No, because you don't want to split practice reps between two QBs.
The Texans game could be the deciding factor if Minshew loses the game pretty sure they’ll go with Foles. If we win the game the decision becomes Much more difficult to make. Until the results of the London game it is premature to decide which quarterback to start. Foles will have to read the defense and get the ball out in two seconds or more to counter the pass rush to be effective. Minchew has the ability to move around in the pocket to counter the pass rush.If we win the Texans game this is going to be a very difficult decision to make I’m glad I don’t have to go jags
Can we just stop for a moment and realize how much of a blessing this is? To have a QB controversy in a good way? After all those years of the "B" name?
If minshew beats the Texans, you got to roll with him against the colts.
(10-28-2019, 11:36 AM)dennisp3 Wrote: [ -> ]The Texans game could be the deciding factor if Minshew loses the game pretty sure they’ll go with Foles. If we win the game the decision becomes Much more difficult to make. Until the results of the London game it is premature to decide which quarterback to start. Foles will have to read the defense and get the ball out in two seconds or more to counter the pass rush to be effective. Minchew has the ability to move around in the pocket to counter the pass rush.If we win the Texans game this is going to be a very difficult decision to make I’m glad I don’t have to go jags
It's not the win or the loss that matters but instead how Minshew plays. If the Jags lose 41-38 but Minshew throws for 4 TDs, how can you bench him? On the flip side, if the Jags win 9-6 and Minshew plays poorly, you can have the conversation.

At this point though, there is really no reason to go back to Foles. Minshew has command of the offense, has chemistry with the receivers and has become a leader. Let's say they make the change. Can the Jags really afford for Foles to have a couple games to get in sync with the receivers? No.
(10-28-2019, 11:24 AM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: [ -> ]Why announce anything? Let the Colts prepare for both.

I wonder if it would be possible to play both QBs on a regular basis? These 2 guys might have the kind of team-oriented egos to pull it off.

It's a cool idea on paper, but as mentioned you have to split the reps and that's going to detrimental to both QBs and the other players. |I'm on board with not letting the Colts know until we take the field who we're going with.
Keep 'em guessing .....then start one and switch out at the half
(10-28-2019, 11:13 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]You start Foles when he is healthy. Minshew is fun to watch and has a bright future, but his wins have come against teams with 7 combined wins 8 weeks into the season. We need to pump the breaks a bit on Minny.
The Jags have zero room for error in a fight for the AFC South and a wildcard spot. Why would you bench Minshew? He has chemistry with his WRs and continues to play well. Start Foles just because they paid him 88 million? And what if he takes a game or two to build chemistry with the WRs? They can't risk that.

If Foles starts, it'll just be one more reason to fire this entire FO.
I’m concerned about the locker room if we go to bench a guy who the team seems to be rallying around...
Give Minshew all the rope needed to hang himself or make a lasso and grab the starting spot.
Beat the Texans - start Minshew vs Colts
Lost to Texans - start Foles vs Colts

It's really that simple.
(10-28-2019, 01:19 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]Beat the Texans - start Minshew vs Colts
Lost to Texans - start Foles vs Colts

It's really that simple.

Usually I agree with you but on this one I disagree. Because what if we beat the Texans due to our defense, and Minshew/offense have a horrible game? Or what if we lose to the Texans in a huge shoot-out with Minshew/offense doing great but due to our defense, we lose?

Not sure it's that simple, to the coaches either.
(10-28-2019, 12:11 PM)UKJag Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-28-2019, 11:24 AM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: [ -> ]Why announce anything?  Let the Colts prepare for both.

I wonder if it would be possible to play both QBs on a regular basis?  These 2 guys might have the kind of team-oriented egos to pull it off.

It's a cool idea on paper, but as mentioned you have to split the reps and that's going to detrimental to both QBs and the other players. |I'm on board with not letting the Colts know until we take the field who we're going with.

I understand it's never done, because of limited practice reps, but also because of dollars and egos, including player, coach and FO egos.
That said, these 2 QBs have shown they can go into a game with limited reps and be productive.  And they are both going to have knowledge of the opponent, gameplan, protections, etc.
The 2 QB policy won't happen, but the Short Leash policy should happen because there isn't much room for error if the Jags want to make the playoffs.
(10-28-2019, 12:44 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]
The Jags have zero room for error in a fight for the AFC South and a wildcard spot. Why would you bench Minshew? He has chemistry with his WRs and continues to play well. Start Foles just because they paid him 88 million? And what if he takes a game or two to build chemistry with the WRs? They can't risk that.

SO if they start Foles and win out...FIRE THE FO!!
(10-28-2019, 01:47 PM)Rico Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-28-2019, 12:44 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]The Jags have zero room for error in a fight for the AFC South and a wildcard spot. Why would you bench Minshew? He has chemistry with his WRs and continues to play well. Start Foles just because they paid him 88 million? And what if he takes a game or two to build chemistry with the WRs? They can't risk that.

SO if they start Foles and win out...FIRE THE FO!!
I mean, that would be amazing but would love to know the reasoning. I feel like Minshew has earned the right to be the starter where Foles hasn't earned anything with this team.

If the Jags had Brees, I would be ok with going but to him but it's Nick Foles.
Pages: 1 2 3 4