Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: NFL.com - Marrone: Lack of Fournette carries is 'on me' as HC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Marrone: Lack of Fournette carries is 'on me' as HC

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...n-me-as-hc

Jacksonville Jaguars coach Doug Marrone says the lack of carries by running back Leonard Fournette in Sunday's loss to the Indianapolis Colts was a "big mistake" by him.
So?
Honestly our down and distance sucks on third downs. Fournette is not a grind it out guy. He is a fits and spurts guy. Running so much of the offense through him has bloated his stats and a few good runs have really clouded his play. I'm not sure it is in these coaches to put together a game plan that schemes out our deficits.
When Marrone dies, his tombstone is simply going to state "It's on me."

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=790b7611a389233a78b998df9d...=giphy.gif]
So is he saying the reason we have been trying to avoid 1-2 yards and a cloud of dust is his fault? Ok.
He sounds like a coach at the end of his tenure.
They always sound like broken records seasoned with defeat.

He's gotta know he's on his way out barring a 5-6 game win streak
Just fire this guy and put Tom Coughlin out there.
Glad he clarified...I had no [BLEEP] clue who’s fault it was. Now I FINALLY know. Hey guys, it was Marrone this whole time! I was so ready to ream the equipment manager for that [BLEEP] show.
Actually a good decision because Fournette wasn't working.
(11-19-2019, 12:54 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: [ -> ]Just fire this guy and put Tom Coughlin out there.

No, NO, nO, no, nope........I don't know how else to type it in English so here:  https://www.wolfestone.co.uk/free-tools/...languages/
(11-19-2019, 12:56 PM)TearExtractor Wrote: [ -> ]Actually a good decision because Fournette wasn't working.

He looked really flat in his few carries and made some head scratching decisions about where to run with the football. 

I can see why they shied away from calling his number initially and of course they had to pass later on because of the scoreboard. 

I'd have been good with 6 or 7 more touches for Armstead, personally.
(11-19-2019, 01:18 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-19-2019, 12:56 PM)TearExtractor Wrote: [ -> ]Actually a good decision because Fournette wasn't working.

He looked really flat in his few carries and made some head scratching decisions about where to run with the football. 

I can see why they shied away from calling his number initially and of course they had to pass later on because of the scoreboard. 

I'd  have been good with 6 or 7 more touches for Armstead, personally.

Our first drive, Fournette got 10, then a pass play with a penalty led to first and 20, where fournette got 4 yards, then a couple pass plays go nowhere and we're punting.
Then with really good field position after a forced punt, we run Armstead for a few then Fournette, then 3 pass plays and we're in the EZ (so far the balance is there)
then on the next drive Fournette definitely struggles on 2nd and medium, iirc this is a play he tries to be a running back he is not, instead of getting north and south and getting something he goes toward the sideline and gets barely a yard.
But on 3rd and 4 here... we should be forcing the run again imo, instead we get a short pass to Westbrook that comes up a yard short and we punt.
The next drive 3 pass plays and a punt (granted the first was a clear PI, not called, challenged and upheld)
The next drive? Start with a pass (seemingly already bailing on the run) and it's a Foles INT
Defense forces a turnover on downs and we get the ball with very little time on the clock, so I can see why we pass pass pass here...
The next drive Fournette gets 3 totes for negative yards and we pass 6 times and turnover the ball on downs.
We pretty much never run it again.

The game plan was pass heavy from go and Fournette shares blame in the run game struggles with the OL but you absolutely can not abandon it the way we did. Armstead should get more touches (and less plays where he is in for pass protection, imo)
For his career he's always been a volume runner. And with Foles coming back from injury we should have leaned heavier on the run early. We have extra OL guys coming out in heavy formations and then throw from them.

I'm not saying when we're down 24 to 7 we should be feeding LF a lot. But it only takes one play for him to burst through and level secondary guys or blow by them.
But 6 touches or whatever ain't gonna get it done.
(11-19-2019, 01:37 PM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-19-2019, 01:18 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]He looked really flat in his few carries and made some head scratching decisions about where to run with the football. 

I'd  have been good with 6 or 7 more touches for Armstead, personally.

Our first drive, Fournette got 10, then a pass play with a penalty led to first and 20, where fournette got 4 yards, then a couple pass plays go nowhere and we're punting.
Then with really good field position after a forced punt, we run Armstead for a few then Fournette, then 3 pass plays and we're in the EZ (so far the balance is there)
then on the next drive Fournette definitely struggles on 2nd and medium, iirc this is a play he tries to be a running back he is not, instead of getting north and south and getting something he goes toward the sideline and gets barely a yard.
But on 3rd and 4 here... we should be forcing the run again imo, instead we get a short pass to Westbrook that comes up a yard short and we punt.
The next drive 3 pass plays and a punt (granted the first was a clear PI, not called, challenged and upheld)
The next drive? Start with a pass (seemingly already bailing on the run) and it's a Foles INT
Defense forces a turnover on downs and we get the ball with very little time on the clock, so I can see why we pass pass pass here...
The next drive Fournette gets 3 totes for negative yards and we pass 6 times and turnover the ball on downs.

The game plan was pass heavy from go and Fournette shares blame in the run game struggles with the OL but you absolutely can not abandon it the way we did. Armstead should get more touches (and less plays where he is in for pass protection, imo)
For his career he's always been a volume runner. And with Foles coming back from injury we should have leaned heavier on the run early. We have extra OL guys coming out in heavy formations and then throw from them.

I'm not saying when we're down 24 to 7 we should be feeding LF a lot. But it only takes one play for him to burst through and level secondary guys or blow by them.

DBs that weigh over 50 lbs less than him tackle him with ease. He doesn't run over anyone. He gets hit and falls.
(11-19-2019, 01:38 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-19-2019, 01:37 PM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]Our first drive, Fournette got 10, then a pass play with a penalty led to first and 20, where fournette got 4 yards, then a couple pass plays go nowhere and we're punting.

DBs that weigh over 50 lbs less than him tackle him with ease. He doesn't run over anyone. He gets hit and falls.

What is worse is that he is out in space with field everywhere when this happens.
(11-19-2019, 01:38 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-19-2019, 01:37 PM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]Our first drive, Fournette got 10, then a pass play with a penalty led to first and 20, where fournette got 4 yards, then a couple pass plays go nowhere and we're punting.

Rolleyes
[Image: f55316211e35b7cfa660893574c73e43]
Found one that wasn't the Pittsburgh one
Hire Robert Saleh as new OC. Great defensive mind, great experience und offensive guru Shanahan, has been in Jax before, great personality

(11-19-2019, 01:48 PM)Holger Wrote: [ -> ]Hire Robert Saleh as new HC. Great defensive mind, great experience und offensive guru Shanahan, has been in Jax before, great personality
(11-19-2019, 12:54 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: [ -> ]Just fire this guy and put Tom Coughlin out there.

Your next intelligent post will be your first.
He blames himself for him being under utilized but they've honestly tried keeping him as the focal point all year and it's hit or miss regardless. Outside of the Denver and Cincinnati games he's been pretty ho-hum. My concern is the lack of other RB involvement in general. Your 2nd leading rusher on this football team at the moment is your back-up QB. . .

That should be a bigger concern. What's the point of having Armstead, Ervin & Gazebo or Ozigbo. . . whatever the hell his name is on the team if you're not going to work them in? Are they all that banged up from sitting on the bench or what?
(11-19-2019, 01:48 PM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-19-2019, 01:38 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]DBs that weigh over 50 lbs less than him tackle him with ease. He doesn't run over anyone. He gets hit and falls.

Rolleyes

So you proved my point? He got hit, he fell.

Running over means the guy hits the turf and the RB keeps going.
(11-19-2019, 02:10 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-19-2019, 01:48 PM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ] Rolleyes

So you proved my point? He got hit, he fell.

Biggest take away from that play in that gif above is the fact that they had a lead blocker in front of him and a TE to seal the edge to eliminate any backside pursuit. 

As much [BLEEP] as I talked about this system being "archaic". I have come to terms with the fact that Fournette is simply not fast enough and shifty enough to rely on in spread formations and single back formations. BUT. . . I don't mind if the running game is archaic in nature provided that they don't try make it a 3 yards and a cloud of dust game with three straight runs in a row. 

Still condone opening up the running game first by starting off with the passing game and some screen plays to get the LB's to essentially [BLEEP] off away from the L.O.S.
(11-19-2019, 02:14 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-19-2019, 02:10 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]So you proved my point? He got hit, he fell.

Biggest take away from that play in that gif above is the fact that they had a lead blocker in front of him and a TE to seal the edge to eliminate any backside pursuit. 

As much [BLEEP] as I talked about this system being "archaic". I have come to terms with the fact that Fournette is simply not fast enough and shifty enough to rely on in spread formations and single back formations. BUT. . . I don't mind if the running game is archaic in nature provided that they don't try make it a 3 yards and a cloud of dust game with three straight runs in a row. 

Still condone opening up the running game first by starting off with the passing game and some screen plays to get the LB's to essentially [BLEEP] off away from the L.O.S.

"Archaic but Works" is fine with me. "Latest and Greatest but doesn't work" is not. The scheme doesn't matter to me a bit if it works. Hell, run the damn Wing T out there if we can get 300 yards and 28 points out of it. Just do something that works and quit doing what doesn't.
Pages: 1 2 3