Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: This Is What A Real Owner Would Demand/Command...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
..and this is the mentality that Khan needs to have. Not in private, but publically.

"Every time we have a loss, my mood is s---ty," said Tepper, adding that he never accepted losing on the business side, where he accumulated a $12 billion net worth as a hedge fund manager.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2811...mediocrity
(11-20-2019, 09:11 AM)rocdee Wrote: [ -> ]..and this is the mentality that Khan needs to have. Not in private, but publically.

"Every time we have a loss, my mood is s---ty," said Tepper, adding that he never accepted losing on the business side, where he accumulated a $12 billion net worth as a hedge fund manager.

Read the second paragraph of this statement from Khan.  He's saying the same things. He's just saying it like a mature adult that cares about his public image. 

Khan already put these guys on notice that what we've seen the past two games would not be acceptable. Safe bet changes are inbound. 

https://twitter.com/Jaguars/status/10794...48480?s=20
Khan has always been a patient man maybe too patient ....but , when he says what he did in the statement above....I take him very seriously.
Others should as well.
Bottom line....the Big 'Stache ain't happy.
This is painful to type but the Carolina owner and others with those thoughts are the ones that moved the Colts out of Baltimore and the Rams back and forth between LA, STL and LA. Be glad our owners is level headed and a planner or we would be moving to London.
(11-20-2019, 09:21 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-20-2019, 09:11 AM)rocdee Wrote: [ -> ]..and this is the mentality that Khan needs to have. Not in private, but publically.

Read the second paragraph of this statement from Khan.  He's saying the same things. He's just saying it like a mature adult that cares about his public image. 

Khan already put these guys on notice that what we've seen the past two games would not be acceptable. Safe bet changes are inbound. 

https://twitter.com/Jaguars/status/10794...48480?s=20
After reading that, I'm confident this staff is gone after this year.  2018 was then but 2019 is just as bad.  If he's a man of his word then he knows that this staff has underperformed and change is needed.  Only issue is that Tom is who he thinks should right the ship.  That can be problematic.
Why are people questioning whether or not Khan has the will to win? While last season was disappointing, you couldn't fire Marrone last year-- he'd just come off taking his team to the AFC Championship. And while I do think Marrone will be fired at the end of the season, it makes no sense to fire him now. An assistant like Defilippo, who I admire, will not change this team's trajectory for 2019. The problem is we can't stop the run, and that's understandable, given that we're missing our best run stopper and the LB situation is a mess.

It sounds like people want Kahn to be more like Jerry Jones, who is very vocal during the season when the Cowboys are losing. As I recall, his complaints didn't do much. And how many playoff games have the Cowboys won over the last decde?
I'll also go on record and say the team might want to think twice about replacing Caldwell. The problem in Jacksonville isn't a lack of talent. We actually have a good core of young talent. And while I think Caldwell's re-signing of Bortles was a mistake*, he's redeemed himself with Minshew. If 'Stache can be the QB we all hope he can be, then I think a great coach - not a GM- is what the Jags need to win.

*Bortles had just led the team to the AFC Championship. Most of us at the time thought it was a good idea to re-sign him.
(11-20-2019, 11:20 AM)JagFanFirst Wrote: [ -> ]Why are people questioning whether or not Khan has the will to win?  While last season was disappointing, you couldn't fire Marrone last year-- he'd just come off taking his team to the AFC Championship. And while I do think Marrone will be fired at the end of the season, it makes no sense to fire him now. An assistant like Defilippo, who I admire, will not change this team's trajectory for 2019. The problem is we can't stop the run, and that's understandable, given that we're missing our best run stopper and the LB situation is a mess.

It sounds like people want Kahn to be more like Jerry Jones, who is very vocal during the season when the Cowboys are losing. As I recall, his complaints didn't do much. And how many playoff games have the Cowboys won over the last decade?

It is odd that folks are convinced they'd be appeased by some unnecessary vocal lashing from the owner. 

It's unnecessary and likely counter-productive to coaching efforts.  They've known the expectations for their performance for several months. 

DeFilippo could indeed end up being a friendly fire casualty of sorts in this whole thing at the end of day when Wash seems to be the most egregious culprit. Which would be unfortunate IMO. 
I think some consistency at OC would be good for Minshew if the powers that be determine that the relationship between Flip and Gardner is a good one worth furthering.
(11-20-2019, 11:26 AM)JagFanFirst Wrote: [ -> ]I'll also go on record and say the team might want to think twice about replacing Caldwell. The problem in Jacksonville isn't a lack of talent. We actually have a good core of young talent. And while I think Caldwell's re-signing of Bortles was a mistake*, he's redeemed himself with Minshew. If 'Stache can be the QB we all hope he can be, then I think a great coach - not a GM- is what the Jags need to win.

*Bortles had just led the team to the AFC Championship. Most of us at the time thought it was a good idea to re-sign him.

Actually, I think 'most of us' would have preferred that he played out his 5th year option.  At least I did.
But what would Brian Boitano do?

(11-20-2019, 11:34 AM)scottyg Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-20-2019, 11:26 AM)JagFanFirst Wrote: [ -> ]I'll also go on record and say the team might want to think twice about replacing Caldwell. The problem in Jacksonville isn't a lack of talent. We actually have a good core of young talent. And while I think Caldwell's re-signing of Bortles was a mistake*, he's redeemed himself with Minshew. If 'Stache can be the QB we all hope he can be, then I think a great coach - not a GM- is what the Jags need to win.

Actually, I think 'most of us' would have preferred that he played out his 5th year option.  At least I did.

This.
No extension was needed. Play out the option.
This particular FO has made too many screw ups with first round picks, resigning guys, and the QB position (outside of maybe getting lucky with Minshew)
(11-20-2019, 11:34 AM)scottyg Wrote: [ -> ]

But I remember seeing an archived topic for the draft that year.  Many, if not most, posters didn't even want a QB. No mention of Lamar Jackson. The mindset of the time was that Bortles had turned the corner and was the franchise QB.

Hindsight is a b**ch.

You could argue that the front office can be blamed for passing on Mahomes and Watson. But so did almost every other team that needed a QB.

(11-20-2019, 11:29 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-20-2019, 11:20 AM)JagFanFirst Wrote: [ -> ]Why are people questioning whether or not Khan has the will to win?  While last season was disappointing, you couldn't fire Marrone last year-- he'd just come off taking his team to the AFC Championship. And while I do think Marrone will be fired at the end of the season, it makes no sense to fire him now. An assistant like Defilippo, who I admire, will not change this team's trajectory for 2019. The problem is we can't stop the run, and that's understandable, given that we're missing our best run stopper and the LB situation is a mess.

It sounds like people want Kahn to be more like Jerry Jones, who is very vocal during the season when the Cowboys are losing. As I recall, his complaints didn't do much. And how many playoff games have the Cowboys won over the last decade?

It is odd that folks are convinced they'd be appeased by some unnecessary vocal lashing from the owner. 

It's unnecessary and likely counter-productive to coaching efforts.  They've known the expectations for their performance for several months. 

DeFilippo could indeed end up being a friendly fire casualty of sorts in this whole thing at the end of day when Wash seems to be the most egregious culprit. Which would be unfortunate IMO. 
I think some consistency at OC would be good for Minshew if the powers that be determine that the relationship between Flip and Gardner is a good one worth furthering.
I wouldn't mind seeing DeFilippo stepping in as HC next year. The offensive has improved notably since he stepped in, despite the OL being a mess and our leading rusher having only one TD. He did a good job of getting Minshew ready.
My issue with the front office hasn’t been the drafts. I actually think, especially since Tom came on board, our draft picks have been decent. Yeah there have been some woulda coulda shoulda but that is ALWAYS the case.

What chaps my [BLEEP] is all the player management issues. Contracts for folks that shouldn’t get one and none for ones that should. Every year they throw away a later draft pick or so to plug a hole and it’s mostly for naught. Last year we picked up Carlos Hyde which I admired from his 49ers days and he was barely. There seems to always be a disconnect between the coaching staff and front office. I’m not sure whose fault that is, but it’s caused a lot of issues. They need to be on the same page.

Hyde was let go and ran all over us twice this year. He would have made a decent change of pace back for Fournette.
(11-20-2019, 12:35 PM)Corriewf Wrote: [ -> ]My issue with the front office hasn’t been the drafts. I actually think, especially since Tom came on board, our draft picks have been decent. Yeah there have been some woulda coulda shoulda but that is ALWAYS the case.

What chaps my [BLEEP] is all the player management issues. Contracts for folks that shouldn’t get one and none for ones that should. Every year they throw away a later draft pick or so to plug a hole and it’s mostly for naught. Last year we picked up Carlos Hyde which I admired from his 49ers days and he was barely. There seems to always be a disconnect between the coaching staff and front office. I’m not sure whose fault that is, but it’s caused a lot of issues. They need to be on the same page.

Hyde was let go and ran all over us twice this year. He would have made a decent change of pace back for Fournette.

Biggest issue with the FO draft (including the Coughlin babysitting years) is first rounders.
Joker whiff (this whole draft was trash really)

Bortles whiff and they extended him instead of playing out 5th year option... and his cap hit added to our cap woes. This draft wasn't really great overall either.

Fowler whiff, no longer with team did net some draft picks in trade but never lived up to draft status and wasn't built for 43 end, more of a 34 rush backer as evidenced by his short time in LA, another draft with meh overall results.

Ramsey Easy pick, shouldn't have slid to us, but no longer with team due to contract issues and FO handling... however, did net us 2 firsts. This was the home run draft. Ramsey, Jack, Yan. But Jack is regressing... and Yan in contract dispute with FO.

LF He's OK, but not great, and not as good as Cook, CMC, or Kamara from the same draft. He's a certain type of RB playing in a scheme not suited for his style. Not a lot of home runs in this draft that includes Westbrook and Cann and not much else.

Bryan He's coming along OK but where our needs were didn't fit the selection. Also not really performing as you would want/expect a first rounder to. We could have had Jackson, Michel, Chubb, Darius Leonard, Sutton, Kirk, Goedert, or Connor Williams. Hindsight, sure, but still...

Allen Another lay up for this FO, easily the best player available, probably shouldn't have been available. Will this current FO be able to retain him or will they whiff on his contract down the road? We'll see how this draft turns out overall.

TL;DR
Caldwell's track record isn't great and Tom hasn't exactly 'fixed' much.
(11-20-2019, 11:59 AM)JagFanFirst Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-20-2019, 11:34 AM)scottyg Wrote: [ -> ]Actually, I think 'most of us' would have preferred that he played out his 5th year option.  At least I did.

But I remember seeing an archived topic for the draft that year.  Many, if not most, posters didn't even want a QB. No mention of Lamar Jackson. The mindset of the time was that Bortles had turned the corner and was the franchise QB.

Hindsight is a b**ch.

You could argue that the front office can be blamed for passing on Mahomes and Watson. But so did almost every other team that needed a QB.

I'm not sure what topic you were reading; but there was a fair amount of us that wanted Lamar Jackson, myself included.  I wanted Mahomes in the 2nd when he came out but didnt know the Chiefs would trade up and pick him in the 1st.  Now Watson was the pick most wanted that year but i figured we'd pass on him and go QB later.  I was QB hungry then and i'm still QB hungry now.  I did however, support the FO when they picked blake and wanted to build the line and TE position to help support him.  Cook over Fournette, i recall.  Posters here have been right about alot of picks but we don't run the team and are outweighed by the pro FO supporters until they start turning the corner when the chips stack up.
This team would look the same as it does now with Mahomes, Watson or Jackson. Who has this coaching staff developed? We have drafted talent and they have performed like drafted talent. It is very disappointing to not have a vision. Coughlin's first stint had purpose:
1. Win at home
2. Win the division = build to beat the division opponents
3. Build the team to balance pass/run

Too bad he didn't add
4. Manage the cap

This time it isn't that it is TC's fault but it is just a treadmill of also ran ground hog day performance.
(11-20-2019, 11:20 AM)JagFanFirst Wrote: [ -> ]Why are people questioning whether or not Khan has the will to win? While last season was disappointing, you couldn't fire Marrone last year-- he'd just come off taking his team to the AFC Championship. And while I do think Marrone will be fired at the end of the season, it makes no sense to fire him now. An assistant like Defilippo, who I admire, will not change this team's trajectory for 2019. The problem is we can't stop the run, and that's understandable, given that we're missing our best run stopper and the LB situation is a mess.

It sounds like people want Kahn to be more like Jerry Jones, who is very vocal during the season when the Cowboys are losing. As I recall, his complaints didn't do much. And how many playoff games have the Cowboys won over the last decde?
"Why are people questioning whether or not Khan has the will to win?".

Because he's not firing coaches less than midway through the season like Daniel Snyder does up dur in Worshington.

I don't personally question it at all. Change is coming in 2020. It's inevitable at this point.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Firing in the middle of the season says... this guy sucks and I hate him and I want everyone to know how much he sucks and how much I hate him.
Getting rid of Wash and putting in someone like Wade Phillips or Romeo Crenell would do wonders. I didnt mean to imply to get one of those two guys but someone who can do something similiar with this defensive scheme and adjust it to our players strengths and be able to make adjustments as needed. Not to mention fix the OL
Need to hire Mike McCarthy as the HC to also act as OC and hopefully poach a defensive assistant from San Francisco or Chicago to fix our defense in general.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
(11-20-2019, 01:08 PM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-20-2019, 12:35 PM)Corriewf Wrote: [ -> ]My issue with the front office hasn’t been the drafts. I actually think, especially since Tom came on board, our draft picks have been decent. Yeah there have been some woulda coulda shoulda but that is ALWAYS the case.

Biggest issue with the FO draft (including the Coughlin babysitting years) is first rounders.
Joker whiff (this whole draft was trash really)

Bortles whiff and they extended him instead of playing out 5th year option... and his cap hit added to our cap woes. This draft wasn't really great overall either.

Fowler whiff, no longer with team did net some draft picks in trade but never lived up to draft status and wasn't built for 43 end, more of a 34 rush backer as evidenced by his short time in LA, another draft with meh overall results.

Ramsey Easy pick, shouldn't have slid to us, but no longer with team due to contract issues and FO handling... however, did net us 2 firsts. This was the home run draft. Ramsey, Jack, Yan. But Jack is regressing... and Yan in contract dispute with FO.

LF He's OK, but not great, and not as good as Cook, CMC, or Kamara from the same draft. He's a certain type of RB playing in a scheme not suited for his style. Not a lot of home runs in this draft that includes Westbrook and Cann and not much else.

Bryan He's coming along OK but where our needs were didn't fit the selection. Also not really performing as you would want/expect a first rounder to. We could have had Jackson, Michel, Chubb, Darius Leonard, Sutton, Kirk, Goedert, or Connor Williams. Hindsight, sure, but still...

Allen Another lay up for this FO, easily the best player available, probably shouldn't have been available. Will this current FO be able to retain him or will they whiff on his contract down the road? We'll see how this draft turns out overall.

TL;DR
Caldwell's track record isn't great and Tom hasn't exactly 'fixed' much.

I recall 25% of folks being completely opposed to Bryan, the rest were neutral or admired his athleticism. 

I don’t consider any draft pick a layup. I recall Dave and Tom getting in some ears of folks picking ahead of them to make some things happen. Draft day rumors are a [BLEEP]! We scored quite a few folks that should have not made it into our grasps. 

I see issues with how we handle contracts. Valid concerns there. 

I see major issues with how we develop talent. Our system and coaches seems to kill talent vs foster it. There have been many players that we have seen go to another system and ball out. I’m still not convinced in a better system, Bortles could have developed into a serviceable QB.
Pages: 1 2