Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Wash Comments on Run Defense
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2019/11/21...jExiW2p2jI

Definitely interesting. 

Not sure what to make of it though. 

At least we know it’s fixable, and not a pipe dream to defend the run. They’ve done it a few times thus year by playing disciplined, “do your job” football
Just coach speak. Nothing to get excited about.
(11-21-2019, 05:22 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: [ -> ]Just coach speak.  Nothing to get excited about.

Nah. It's a bit of semi-technical explanation about why Jack and others are getting blocked out of reacting to the ball. 

They aren't coached to immediately get downhill into their gap, they are being coached to flow to the ball.
Problem is:  Jack, Williams, Goode, and Jacobs don't have those natural instincts to diagnose plays and flow to the ball. Because it's taking them longer to diagnose and they are missing Dareus it's giving pulling or climbing guards time and ease to get to the second level and block them out of running lanes. 

The LBs are struggling in the system and the DTs are allowing O-linemen to reach them before they can rect.
So he'll live or die by his system. 

That's about what I got out of it.
Need to do their job instead of trying to be the superhero.
Too many times a dlineman or linebacker is abandoning their responsibility thinking they can make a hero play. Offenses are expecting this and taking advantage of this lack of discipline with some cutbacks and traps. This gets even more compounded when your best run stopper is out.
Do your job. Cover your gap. Trust that your teammates will do the same. Enough with the hero ball.
"the Seahawks defense". Just tired to read that.

We have no Bobby Wagner, no KJ Wright, Chacellor, Earl Thomas or Sherman.

Wash is doing the same thing than his buddy Gus. It doesn't work.
(11-21-2019, 06:11 PM)MikePete54 Wrote: [ -> ]"the Seahawks defense". Just tired to read that.

Wash is doing the same thing than his buddy Gus. It doesn't works.

It’s like Gus left an infectious growth that will just never die
(11-21-2019, 06:42 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-21-2019, 06:11 PM)MikePete54 Wrote: [ -> ]"the Seahawks defense". Just tired to read that.

Wash is doing the same thing than his buddy Gus. It doesn't works.

It’s like Gus left an infectious growth that will just never die

That's sort of what happens when you have a bunch of holdovers from the previous staff.
(11-21-2019, 05:54 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: [ -> ]So he'll live or die by his system. 

(11-21-2019, 05:57 PM)jagshype Wrote: [ -> ]Need to do their job instead of trying to be the superhero.
Too many times a dlineman or linebacker is abandoning their responsibility thinking they can make a hero play. Offenses are expecting this and taking advantage of this lack of discipline with some cutbacks and traps. This gets even more compounded when your best run stopper is out.
Do your job. Cover your gap. Trust that your teammates will do the same. Enough with the hero ball.

Both of these things are happening.

Both of these things are hurting.
Time for Gus 2.0 to be gone.
(11-21-2019, 05:30 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-21-2019, 05:22 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: [ -> ]Just coach speak.  Nothing to get excited about.

Nah. It's a bit of semi-technical explanation about why Jack and others are getting blocked out of reacting to the ball. 

They aren't coached to immediately get downhill into their gap, they are being coached to flow to the ball.
Problem is:  Jack, Williams, Goode, and Jacobs don't have those natural instincts to diagnose plays and flow to the ball. Because it's taking them longer to diagnose and they are missing Dareus it's giving pulling or climbing guards time and ease to get to the second level and block them out of running lanes. 

The LBs are struggling in the system and the DTs are allowing O-linemen to reach them before they can rect.

Yep generally they aren't going forward, they are going sideways or backwards. That allows the OL to get to the 2nd level. Generally the LBs are in position or near enough, but they are being blocked by an OL. You can't blame a LB for not getting off a block when you design the defense to be passive. The coaches are setting up the LBs to fail. They have 2 speed LBs and they keep them in the stable because they want them backpedaling.

It goes to playing zone all the time. The defense isn't the attacking defense that it should be, it is passive except on the DL. The issue is the Jags only bring 4 at a time, so if they don't win, the zone is setup to allow mid and underneath plays.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
(11-21-2019, 05:54 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: [ -> ]So he'll live or die by his system. 

This is why he has to go. Sometimes you don't have the personnel to run the type of scheme you want to run, so you have to adapt to what you have and play to their strengths. Wash refuses to change. No matter how many times you try, a square peg will not fit into a round hole.
The thing I always seem to come back to with this defensive system is that it seems to only work under two sets of circumstances... You have to have stars at nearly every position on the D. Or, everyone on the D has to be perfect on every play or you get gashed.
TL;DR version

"You fans don't know football but my system sucks and our players suck trying to run it."

Wash is doing the same thing than his buddy Gus. It doesn't work.

I'd argue that we did for a bit. Ramsey then we had Telvin, Church and Gipson were all playing at a all pro level when we got so close to the super bowl but yeah not now..

https://twitter.com/ryaneatscake/status/...2674984961
(11-21-2019, 05:30 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]

There in lies the problem.  This team has no core identity.  They draft talent that does not fit what they are trying to do.  I am no football genius but even I can see Myles Jack (wasn't down) is not a natural middle line backer.
(11-22-2019, 01:40 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]

This is why he has to go. Sometimes you don't have the personnel to run the type of scheme you want to run, so you have to adapt to what you have and play to their strengths. Wash refuses to change. No matter how many times you try, a square peg will not fit into a round hole.

This is why I believe Don Shula is the greatest coach of all time.  He adapted his schemes to the players on his teams.
Todd: But you see.... All I know is ball... And good... And Zone!

This is more than run defense. It's lack of adjustment.
(11-22-2019, 02:57 PM)copycat Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-21-2019, 05:30 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Nah. It's a bit of semi-technical explanation about why Jack and others are getting blocked out of reacting to the ball. 

There in lies the problem.  This team has no core identity.  They draft talent that does not fit what they are trying to do.  I am no football genius but even I can see Myles Jack (wasn't down) is not a natural middle line backer.

I mean this isn't true. 

You can argue if the picks are good or not but there is a pretty consistent effort in trying to fit the draft picks to the defense (and offense on occasion ) 

Ronnie - strong safety who excels in short zones 
Jack - freak athlete who can cover 
Bryan- freak athlete to disrupt at 3 tech 
Yan - perfect weakside DE 
Quincy - rangy run and hit LB
Ramsey - literally the perfect fit for a corner in this scheme 

Again, you can argue if they were good picks, or if we should have gone to different positions, but it's pretty easy to see them attempting to fill archetypes for the defensive plan.
(11-21-2019, 05:54 PM)FSenor Fantastico Wrote: [ -> ]So he'll live or die by his system. 

Same
Pages: 1 2 3