Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: What's wrong with us?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Since 2011 (Del Rio's last year), we've had 3 other head coaches and the assumption is that Marrone will be gone so that will make 4 coaching changes. I know other teams have gone through many too (like the Browns), but what is wrong with our team?

Are we truly picking terrible coaches? Are we not giving these coaches the players they need? How can we go through so many coaching changes and expect to be good? Are we hoping that one of our darts stick?

I just find it hard to believe that coaching is the reason we have been so bad for so long. We were not great under Del Rio so it's been even longer.

I just feel like we keep spinning our wheels as an organization and can't figure out how to fix this team.
Us and the rest of the NFL man. There's maybe 4 - 5 teams that seem to be "locks" every season for at least a play off run.

1. New England
2. Pittsburgh [When Big Ben Is Healthy]
3. New Orleans
4. Green Bay
5. Seattle

All of those teams have one thing in common. A generational or elite talent at the QB position. The rest of us are just kicking our tires here and there. Taking advantage of injury riddled teams or soft scheduling.

While I'll agree our team has had a pretty brutal rough patch. The reality is that several other teams are in the same boat. Look at Detroit. Look at Cleveland. Look at Miami. Look at Dallas.

Every now and then a team like Atlanta, Carolina, Philadelphia & Baltimore will fluctuate with a good year or two. Drop off a year or two. Rinse and repeat. Etc.

What's hurt us is bad personnel decisions overall but what's ESPECIALLY hurt us is the terrible decisions made at the QB position. We're just getting "hope" from a 6th RD pick that looks like the part one week and flounders a bit the following.

But for what seems like forever. We've been lacking a bona fide franchise signal caller. That's really it in a nutshell.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Simple. We haven't found a franchise quarterback.
(12-24-2019, 11:54 AM)Preach Wrote: [ -> ]Since 2011 (Del Rio's last year), we've had 3 other head coaches and the assumption is that Marrone will be gone so that will make 4 coaching changes. I know other teams have gone through many too (like the Browns), but what is wrong with our team?

Are we truly picking terrible coaches? Are we not giving these coaches the players they need? How can we go through so many coaching changes and expect to be good? Are we hoping that one of our darts stick?

I just find it hard to believe that coaching is the reason we have been so bad for so long. We were not great under Del Rio so it's been even longer.

I just feel like we keep spinning our wheels as an organization and can't figure out how to fix this team.

Four years of Gene Smith (five counting his expanded role in the last Shack Harris year) followed by four years of Gus Bradley followed by three years of Tom Coughlin poorly micromanaging the entire operation explains the last eleven years.

Or you can just blame the Oesher jinx.
We haven't drafted well, and when we did make a good pick, often they wound up leaving for some other team.  Tyson Alualu.  Allen Robinson.  Jalen Ramsey.  Dante Fowler.   And on and on.  Former Jaguars starting for better teams than the one we have.  Bottom line- we aren't good judges of talent, and when we do luck out and get a good player, as often as not they wind up on other teams.  Count up all the bad picks, and then add in all the good picks that are playing for other teams.
1) Missed on Gabbert

2) Missed on Bortles
I think it's a lot of bad decisions across the board. I think that it's not just finding a QB. Other teams have franchise QB's and haven't done much of anything either. A QB can help a team a lot, but he can't do everything. Which is a big reason why some talented QB's haven't won a Super Bowl. (And some have they've just won one, when they could have won more.)
Because they won't listen to me when I yell at the TV screen during games.
(12-24-2019, 06:09 PM)mal234 Wrote: [ -> ]I think it's a lot of bad decisions across the board. I think that it's not just finding a QB. Other teams have franchise QB's and haven't done much of anything either. A QB can help a team a lot, but he can't do everything. Which is a big reason why some talented QB's haven't won a Super Bowl. (And some have they've just won one, when they could have won more.)

That's very true. Just start with these guys:

Dan Marino
Jim Kelly
Dan Fouts
Ken Anderson
Phillip Rivers
Warren Moon
Randall Cunningham
Fran Tarkenton

This team has had terrible general managers throughout it's tenure. I'd be much angrier if they kept Caldwell than Marrone- not that he's great, either. Caldwell may not have made as many blunders as Gene Smith, but it could be argued that his have been more devastating to the franchise. Get a new GM, new coaching staff to start. Once the talent and coaching gets much better, this team will win. Finding a true franchise q.b. will be very difficult. Just look at how few there are in the NFL. It takes not only skillful GM's, but they've got to be lucky also. The Chiefs and Ravens wouldn't be in such great shape if several teams didn't pass on Mahomes and Jackson. A slightly better than middle of the road q.b. can win consistently as long as they have great supporting casts. I believe Minshew and Foles fit this description, although next season will provide the definitive answer as to whether they need to look elsewhere for a q.b.
(12-24-2019, 05:55 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: [ -> ]1) Missed on Gabbert

2) Missed on Bortles

That's what I said.   Smile

You can add Leftwich.
Hard to believe that in a country of 320 million people, there are only 6 or 7 people who can actually play QB at the elite level.

Can't think of any other sport where the odds are this low in finding an elite player.
(12-25-2019, 03:34 AM)captivating Wrote: [ -> ]Hard to believe that in a country of 320 million people, there are only 6 or 7 people who can actually play QB at the elite level.

Can't think of any other sport where the odds are this low in finding an elite player.

Football has become a sport for those with fewer opportunities. After the CTE stuff came out, parents from better means typically don’t want their kids participating. 

Notice there are more black QBs now? 

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archi...de/581623/

White flight from football is real. 

Honestly, if your kid doesn’t have the physical traits needed, there is no reason for them to take the risk playing football. I’ve had friends whose high school kids have had surgery after surgery due to sports injuries with no real path for that kid to go anywhere with their physical traits. It’s a dangerous sport.
Lets be honest, if we'd drafted Mahomes or Jackson (especially Jackson) do you guys really think we'd be running an offense the right way for them? I swear we could have made LJ look like a bust.
(12-24-2019, 05:55 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: [ -> ]1) Missed on Gabbert

2) Missed on Bortles

3) Fowler 

4) Ramsey

5) Joeckel

6) Robinson

We either missed on picks, or we wound up trading them.  It's not just missing on QBs.  We haven't managed our high draft picks well, either in the choice, or the retention of them.

Think of the year we drafted Luke Joeckel.  He came out the same year as Eric Fisher.  Those two were neck and neck in the draft.  So the Chiefs pick Fisher #1, and the Jags draft Joeckel #2.  Both players were disappointing at first, but the Chiefs worked with Fisher and developed him, and now he's their starting LT.  We failed to develop Joeckel.  Some teams are just better at developing their young players and then retaining them.  

It's drafting, developing, retaining.  We've failed on all three phases.  Selecting a roster, coaching a roster, managing a roster.

The bottom line is, NFL football is a competition between owners.  Shad Khan is a great guy, we all admire his success in life, the American dream, etc etc, but he needs to be a lot more competitive.  It seems like he's tolerating losing a lot more than he should.
(12-25-2019, 04:44 AM)sfljaguarsfan Wrote: [ -> ]Lets be honest, if we'd drafted Mahomes or Jackson (especially Jackson) do you guys really think we'd be running an offense the right way for them? I swear we could have made LJ look like a bust.

If we drafted Jackson or Mahomes it means the team knew what they were looking at, stands to reason they'd be aware enough of their skillset too. 

They wouldn't be as good here, but they'd still be franchise QB talents they passed on for a RB
Subpar to Average GM's/EVPofFO.

That is the problem. They control the coaches selected, set a model for franchise building, and scout/select the QB.
(12-25-2019, 06:09 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: [ -> ]Subpar to Average GM's/EVPofFO.

That is the problem. They control the coaches selected, set a model for franchise building, and scout/select the QB.

Then Dave has already cost another coach his job with making a poor hire.
It's time to start clean.
You can point in every direction on this franchise and find flaws or virtues but at the end of the day, if you don't have a top flight QB you're never going to win consistently in the NFL. just look at the teams who have playoff spots this season:

AFC: Ravens; Jackson. Patriots; Brady. Chiefs; Mahomes. tinhorns; Watson. Bills; Allen.
NFC: 49ers; Garopollo. Packers; Rodgers. Saints; Brees. Seahawks; Wilson. Vikings; Cousins.

Now you can make some counter arguments here (Brees has been injured, Cousins isn't on the level of other guys), but the fact remains that each of these teams got good or excellent play out of their QB's this year. And the only year we went to the playoffs this decade we got good play out of QB as well.
(12-25-2019, 06:52 PM)DragonFury Wrote: [ -> ]You can point in every direction on this franchise and find flaws or virtues but at the end of the day, if you don't have a top flight QB you're never going to win consistently in the NFL. just look at the teams who have playoff spots this season:

AFC: Ravens; Jackson. Patriots; Brady. Chiefs; Mahomes. tinhorns; Watson. Bills; Allen.
NFC: 49ers; Garopollo. Packers; Rodgers. Saints; Brees. Seahawks; Wilson. Vikings; Cousins.

Now you can make some counter arguments here (Brees has been injured, Cousins isn't on the level of other guys), but the fact remains that each of these teams got good or excellent play out of their QB's this year. And the only year we went to the playoffs this decade we got good play out of QB as well.

Yeah. But a cousins is good enough. Your point is well taken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#becausejaguars
Pages: 1 2 3 4