Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Guys... I want to keep Marrone
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Ok ok ok, HEAR me out. 

Like many of you, the day we fired Coughlin I was happy. I WANTED Marrone and Caldwell to be fired next. Even this last Sunday, I was PRO fire Marrone. I was curious when several media outlets said Khan would be wise to keep both, and then I thought some more. 

upon further reflection... I think we need to keep him.  Here is why:

•DALLAS DALLAS DALLAS 

They have sooooo much talent, and yet they can barely win a game this year. Garrett was terrible with talent on O and D allotted to him. 

•RAMS RAMS RAMS 

Again, a talent fiiilllllled roster. Traded their retirement away for an all in plea and LOST. McVay has been good, but not great with a consistently good roster during his tenure. 

•BROWNS BROWNS BROWNS 

Super talented roster, and hired a new HC and just well... very bad... should be ahead of the Steelers. 

JAGUARS JAGUARS JAGUARS
Marrone actually got us some where when we had talent. Guys... our roster these last 10 years has been LACKING depth AND talent 

The ONE year we had an OK roster only On Defense, we get to an AFC Championship, and a bad call away from a SB.  LAST year before injuries demolished our offense, we were 3-1.  Doug got us there with Above average talent. 

Our team has no business being 5-11 with this talent deficient roster and the host of external distractions

Do you remember the preseason??? After our 1s were done, our team was AWFUL.  

Many of you mention that Marrone has a problem developing his players. BUT THATS NOT HIS JOB. He’s the head coach, his staff is supposed to develop players. The fact that Marrone managed to get us to even 5-11(well Minshew), is remarkable! Not to mention with the copious amounts of BS behind the scenes stuff he’s dealt with ALL season. 

I would be ok with getting rid of Wash in favor of a more innovative Coordinator. And who ever the hell our O line coach is. 

I’m 50/50 on Caldwell, he’s done OK but nothing spectacular. 

In summation though. Please think hard before wanting to get a new HC. More often than not, they do not pan out. Our current players are in favor of him. We should give Marrone another opportunity. 
Opinions are like butt holes, everyone has one. I hear your points but look at the ungodly penalties, the blow outs, and how ill prepared this team looks almost every Sunday and can't excuse it. Marrone should be fired.

The defenders like to say but Oh the players Love Doug. Well they Loved Bradley too. So what>?
Not a fan of keeping the status quo. But you have some valid points.
If Doug keeps Wash around though.... ugh.
If Marrone is retained I’ll be disappointed, but I also won’t scream at the sky. For the love of all that is football holy, get him some real coordinators if he does stay.
(12-24-2019, 02:19 PM)MojoKing Wrote: [ -> ]Here is why:

•DALLAS DALLAS DALLAS 

•RAMS RAMS RAMS 

•BROWNS BROWNS BROWNS 

PENALTIES PENALTIES PENALTIES

The Jags lead the league in penalties.  Why?   Where is the discipline?
I'm on the fence about Marrone. I think he's done no matter what, but there are worse fates than keeping him. As long as Wash goes with him.
Therein is the problem- Marrone hasn’t held Wash accountable. If Marrone stays and doesn’t fire Wash, it’s another lame duck season.
Is it Christmas or April Fools?

I think we can all agree Mojoking has to be Marrone right?
I actually think that he may end up staying. Caldwell too. I saw a report come across the screen on ESPN yesterday that said that Khan may be thinking about retaining them. I actually wouldn't be surprised if he kept them.

I do think that you bring up some interesting points about some of the other teams and how they have performed this year. It's something teams like the Browns and especially the Cowboys with all of their talent have records that are barely better than the Jaguars. The Cowboys have a lot of talent. And they have several players who have been playing with each other and on the team for a few years including their QB. Yet they are struggling IMO, largely due to coaching.

This one of the reasons why I feel like some people are also not appreciating enough what Minshew has done as a rookie with this team. His record is hovering around these others teams records that have way more talent than he has to work with.
I keep bouncing back and forth, but at this point and time, in a 'what have you done for me lately' business, five or six blowouts in almost a complete string of losses with one thrown in? Most coaches aren't going to survive that. Marrone shouldn't. Wash definitely can't.

And if the lack of talent is a real problem, then Caldwell needs to go too. And if he's going you can bet the new GM will want a new coach and everything set up his way. I just don't see any rhyme or reason for keeping Marrone, for the reasons others have already mentioned. His specialty is the Oline, and their special ability this year has been to get flagged for more holding penalties than any normal, sane fanbase ought to expect on a regular basis.

I have nothing personal against the dude, but it's time. Time for Caldwell too, honestly. But I wouldn't be surprised if he somehow stays
(12-24-2019, 02:26 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]Opinions are like butt holes, everyone has one.  I hear your points but look at the ungodly penalties, the blow outs, and how ill prepared this team looks almost every Sunday and can't excuse it.   Marrone should be fired.

The defenders like to say but Oh the players Love Doug.  Well they Loved Bradley too.  So what>?

Amen. I agree 100%.
2017 was a fluke. Don't know how many more times I need to say it. . .

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
(12-24-2019, 04:00 PM)Corriewf Wrote: [ -> ]Therein is the problem- Marrone hasn’t held Wash accountable. If Marrone stays and doesn’t fire Wash, it’s another lame duck season.

If Wash isn't fired I'm not watching another Jags football game..... until he is. That man has ruined the defense. There are no words for how awful he is.
I think Marrone is an above average coach that was dealt a really bad hand with Coughlin micro-managing every move. 

But I would fire him solely for the fact I wouldn't want a coach (and FO) on his last legs taking us through this rebuild/retool period with the bevy of 1st round picks. It should be done with a staff that has a 3-4 year window imo.
Insert Michael Scott's "No. Please god. No!" gif here.
See, here's the problem. If the team lacks talent, that's on Caldwell. If after seven years we're still untalented after picking top of the draft for most of it, he has to go. And if he goes, you're going to force the new GM to work with a coach he didn't pick? That means our options are limited.

On the other side, we're the most penalized team in the league. We were blown out five weeks in a row. Not even the Dolphins, who obviously were jettisoning talent, managed that.

Personally, I think we have too much talent to be playing like we are. But we don't have enough talent that Caldwell should stay. Clean house.
(12-24-2019, 07:00 PM)JaguarKick Wrote: [ -> ]See, here's the problem. If the team lacks talent, that's on Caldwell.  If after seven years we're still untalented after picking top of the draft for most of it, he has to go.  And if he goes, you're going to force the new GM to work with a coach he didn't pick?  That means our options are limited.

On the other side, we're the most penalized team in the league.  We were blown out five weeks in a row.  Not even the Dolphins, who obviously were jettisoning talent, managed that.  

Personally, I think we have too much talent to be playing like we are.  But we don't have enough talent that Caldwell should stay.  Clean house.

Well heres a bigger problem... Caldwell could have proposed any idea he wanted to, or said hey I want to draft this player and bring this guy in FA and Coughlin said no its this guy this guy and this guy... We dont know that it went that way, but we dont know that it didnt either... If Khan keeps Caldwell I'll be lead to believe TC was calling all the shots without regard for anything DC had to say... At the end of the day the only thing we know for sure is that TC had final say and we have no idea if DC was in agreement or not.
(12-24-2019, 07:00 PM)JaguarKick Wrote: [ -> ]See, here's the problem. If the team lacks talent, that's on Caldwell.  If after seven years we're still untalented after picking top of the draft for most of it, he has to go.  And if he goes, you're going to force the new GM to work with a coach he didn't pick?  That means our options are limited.

On the other side, we're the most penalized team in the league.  We were blown out five weeks in a row.  Not even the Dolphins, who obviously were jettisoning talent, managed that.  

Personally, I think we have too much talent to be playing like we are.  But we don't have enough talent that Caldwell should stay.  Clean house.

Very valid points.  You don't bring in a new GM and saddle him with the current head coach.  You make the Jags a MUCH less appealing team to the top candidates. A new GM should be able to bring in a HC and players that match his philosophy. not draft players that match DM's outdated ideas.   

And DM is the guy who hired the OC and DC.  He kept Wash on.  Brought in Defillipo.  This is HIS staff that hasn't developed the players, has lackluster play calling, and leads the league in penalties.  This isn't a first year HC or a guy who has only gotten 1 season to prove himself.  DM is a proven commodity - and the proof is not good.  

If you're content with 1 winning season every decade, then you may as well keep the entire coaching staff and front office in place because things aren't going to change.  

As Einstein stated, insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
The problem is caldwell been saying it for a while. He drafts players to fit a scheme instead of drafting The best talent and letting the coaches pick a scheme based on personnel. We have it backwards from the start.

Marrone is admirable but he doesn’t hold his team or staff accountable, That however is a side issue compared to the backward way we’ve been trying to build this roster.
It all starts from the top. This organization is not good and won't be good as long as things stay the same.
Pages: 1 2 3 4