Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: NFL.com - Gardner Minshew: I was 'better' than other rookie QBs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Gardner Minshew: I was 'better' than other rookie QBs

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...rookie-qbs

The Jaguars' Gardner Minshew was the 10th QB to come off the board in the 2019 draft. None had a higher passer rating or won more games. Those are two reasons he believes he was the best rookie QB this s
If he'd played after London he would've been the concensus RotY and we would've probably won a few more games. Marrone should be fired for that alone.
Good article.  

(12-31-2019, 11:06 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]If he'd played after London he would've been the concensus RotY and we would've probably won a few more games. Marrone should be fired for that alone.

I'm not sure that was Marrone's call.  There were reports of a shouting match between Marrone and Coughlin when Marrone went back to Minshew later in the season, so that tells me that it's possible that Coughlin was a Foles supporter and maybe TC was the one who forced Foles back into the lineup.
(12-31-2019, 11:07 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]Good article.  

(12-31-2019, 11:06 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]If he'd played after London he would've been the concensus RotY and we would've probably won a few more games. Marrone should be fired for that alone.

I'm not sure that was Marrone's call.  There were reports of a shouting match between Marrone and Coughlin when Marrone went back to Minshew later in the season, so that tells me that it's possible that Coughlin was a Foles supporter and maybe TC was the one who forced Foles back into the lineup.

But Coughlin doesn't meddle...
or so I heard lol
I saw articles mentioning this on Twitter and it made some other fans of rookie QB's testy, lol. Some of their responses and them going back and forth with Minshew fans over this have been funny.

But he has been better than the other rookies in multiple areas and almost as good as them in other areas. And he had less starts than at least Kyler. Some things areas he's had better stats/performed in better than other rookies are:

A better passing rating than all of them. More passing TD's than Kyler, less turnovers than Daniel Jones, and other stats that have been listed in places. Someone in the Franchise QB thread mentioned some of the other stuff he's better at.

Granted some of the other Rookies QB's edge him on some things like Kyler has more rushing TD's. (Gardner doesn't have any) And Daniel Jones has more passing TD's. But Gardner has definitely held his own with the other QB's, including the first round ones and has performed better than them in some areas.
I've seen the other rookie QBs make some spectacular passes, but I've seen Minshew make some spectacular plays.  That's really the difference I see.
The thing everyone neglects to mention...

When you draft a QB in the first round, you tailor your offense to his strengths and weaknesses... when you draft a QB in the 6th round after signing what you thought was a great QB - you don't tailor anything to him. They had an entire offseason to prepare a playbook specifically for Nick Foles - they didn't even consider Gardner Minshew at all.

Kyler Murray has a coach who's been in love with him for years and built the entire offense to support his strengths.

Gardner has one of the worst O-lines, one of the worst TE groups and still put up better numbers than almost every other rookie QB.
Exactly. Now if the fan base can outgrow their small market insecurities and grasp how lucky we are to have him, then that would be great.

It was obvious that Coughlin was a Foles guy. He even said Foles will get a shot next year to be the starter. It is clear he wanted Foles to start over Minshew.
(12-31-2019, 11:28 AM)Dimson Wrote: [ -> ]

It was obvious that Coughlin was a Foles guy. He even said Foles will get a shot next year to be the starter. It is clear he wanted Foles to start over Minshew.

He had to justify that ridiculous contract he gave him.

He's an interesting stat for Jags fans. In every quarter of the season where Minshew started most of the games, the Jags had a .500 record. We went 2-2, 2-2, 0-4 and 2-2.

In the third quarter where Nick started the majority of the games, (3) the Jags lost all four games. Minshew was .500 when he was benched, Minshew was .500 when the season ended and is .500 as a starter overall. (Even with all of the blowout games the Jags had). 

Based off of those statistics, it's not a stretch to say that if Minshew had just kept playing, we could have possibly won at least a couple of more games, and possibly ended the season 8-8. (And that's taken into consideration he would have still had some ups and down as a rookie. He may have had another rough game, had he started more. But he also could have had a couple of more decent/good games as well).

All things considering, 8-8 would have been a decent record with a six round promising rookie. It would have provided more optimism/excitement for the fanbase. And could have had us hovering around a playoff spot a lot longer than we were. Plus, it definitely would have helped his OROY chances as well.
You have to think he'll take a big step forward from year one to year two. While he didn't play spectacularly as an NFL starting QB overall, he did do astonishingly well for a rookie 6th round pick. They say a QB generally reaches his potential after 50 starts but you get the feeling Minshew could get there quicker.
(12-31-2019, 11:37 AM)hb1148 Wrote: [ -> ]You have to think he'll take a big step forward from year one to year two. While he didn't play spectacularly as an NFL starting QB overall, he did do astonishingly well for a rookie 6th round pick. They say a QB generally reaches his potential after 50 starts but you get the feeling Minshew could get there quicker.

Fixed it for you.
(12-31-2019, 11:40 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-31-2019, 11:37 AM)hb1148 Wrote: [ -> ]You have to think he'll take a big step forward from year one to year two. While he didn't play spectacularly as an NFL starting QB overall, he did do astonishingly well for a rookie 6th round pick. They say a QB generally reaches his potential after 50 starts but you get the feeling Minshew could get there quicker.

Fixed it for you.

True, although it sounds even more impressive in it's original form. <cough>Tom Brady</cough>

He's got the brains in spades and enough physical traits to be really good. I agree he could mature fast as a starter with the right coaching and game plan. And maybe a Tight End to help out.
I just hope they tailor the team to his strengths this next season. Don't handcuff the kid, even with Marrone coming back.

No conservative run the ball nonsense. Let the kid take shots down the field and ball out. He may not be rookie of the year but Minshew's already shown he can be the starter for this team. Which is good, because getting Lawrence is a pipe dream.

I like this guy and I hope he continues to progress, and with a little bit of lucky, MAYBE he shows that he's every bit as good a professional player as Murray and other Rooks from this year's draft - if not better. One can only hope
(12-31-2019, 12:07 PM)Nikowho Wrote: [ -> ]I just hope they tailor the team to his strengths this next season. Don't handcuff the kid, even with Marrone coming back.

No conservative run the ball nonsense. Let the kid take shots down the field and ball out. He may not be rookie of the year but Minshew's already shown he can be the starter for this team. Which is good, because getting Lawrence is a pipe dream.

I like this guy and I hope he continues to progress, and with a little bit of lucky, MAYBE he shows that he's every bit as good a professional player as Murray and other Rooks from this year's draft - if not better. One can only hope

He's literally already better in every category, including wins.
(12-31-2019, 12:12 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-31-2019, 12:07 PM)Nikowho Wrote: [ -> ]I just hope they tailor the team to his strengths this next season. Don't handcuff the kid, even with Marrone coming back.

He's literally already better in every category, including wins.

I'm speaking generally in terms of the long term future. One year alone doesn't prove everything, as we all well know by now. For all we know he is one of those dudes who has a really high floor, but a low ceiling; i'd hate to think that, but it's always possible. I don't think that's the case though. I hope not. I'm getting tired of Jacksonville always passing up on good QBs to make semi-ok or just straight up bad QBs work. It'd be nice to have some luck on our side and draft one of the few sixth rounders to become a regular starter

For the record I was never high on either Murray or Jones. Jones might turn out decently, and maybe Murray will too. It's just too early to say for any of these guys. Minshew is a lot better than anybody expected though, and that's enough for me right now. I just hope Marrone and his staff don't ruin the kid's chances going forward

I know that a lot of people are saying they hope/think we could possibly get Trevor Lawrence. It could happen but I don't think that chances of doing that are very likely. Unless the team is so bad next year we have the #1 pick. (And I think we couldn't win any more than like 3 games to have a shot at that). Or if we got the #2 pick and the team with #1 doesn't need a franchise QB. 

I know we have picks we can package. But even taking that into consideration we'd have to hope that a team picking at/towards the top doesn't need a franchise QB. (And I don't see anyone that needs one passing on him or trading away a chance to get him.) Trevor is going to go #1 (or as close to the top as possible, if the #1 team doesn't need a QB). I don't know that the Jags can get close enough in terms of losing, or trading up to get him. We'd have to get pretty high either way. 

One thing about the NFL is that it can be pretty unpredictable, including draft night. Who would have guessed a year ago that the Bengals would have the #1 pick. Granted the Bengals haven't been world beaters. But I wouldn't have guessed they would have had the worst record in the league this year. You just never know what could happen regarding the draft.

Here's hoping Minshew gets more support and an offense tailored to his skill set. So he can possibly turn into the QB that the Jags can have as a starter for years.

I'd like to see him play with a good TE.  For a QB that likes to scramble and improvise, a TE is pure gold.
Pages: 1 2