Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: I believe in #15.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
A 6-6 record this year.

A 2-2 record in the division (it could have been 3-1 if Marrone had let him throw for the extra point against the Texans).

A 90+ rating and 21 TDs against what....6 INTs?

All behind a shaky OL.  And he's a rookie.

He's had some bad games. He needs to learn to make short throws (the three short incompletions in the red zone vs. the Colts was especially frustrating). I'd like to see him complete more passes over the middle. 

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think all of those problems are fixable.

I know it's too early to anoint him the franchise QB. But I feel better with him than I did with Bortles. Not even when Bortles took this team to AFC Championship did I feel as confident in him as i do Minshew. I always thought of Bortles as a liability.
I like him. I like his production and leadership. Having him definitely means that we don’t have to draft a qb unless a can’t miss generational talent is available to us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Add a stud LT and another TE to pair with Oliver/O'Shag and 15 may be able to take the next step.

I don't think he's going to turn into Drew Brees, but he can do enough to make the offense competitive with most teams.
Especially if the defense gets a NT, a MLB , and figures out how to stop the run again.
I love the kid, and as I just mentioned in another thread, he saved a lot of jobs this year and will be the main reason why fans will come back next year...

As for him developing into a top QB... He has a chance, and I don't think I've ever wanted something to happen with this team as much as I want to see him become great... But I've been a jags fan for too long to expect it.... #becausejaguars y'know?
Put Norwell on steroids so he doesn’t get pushed into GM while he’s trying to make a throw. That will help.
OP, I think that you make good points and I agree. And I do think that in spite of the issues the team had this year, including with the QB controversy, I do think they believe in him. And for as much as some people like to knock him for his physical attributes, Doug has said that the staff believes there isn't anything he can't do physically.

He's had some ups and downs as a Rookie, but I think he has been impressive overall. He had some issues with fumbling in the first half of the season, but he cleaned that up a lot. I think after he returned to the starting line up in the 2nd half of the season, he only had like 1 fumble and also 1 interception. And that was in the last game this year. They have been working with him regarding ball security and I do think him getting those extra 7 on 7 periods in practice helped him. 

Also, I would like to see what he can do with better protection and some decent and healthy TE's. While the Jags have definitely struggled in the red zone this year, they were actually very efficient earlier on in the season. I can't remember what exactly the statistic was, but I think they were at the top (maybe #1) at getting to the red zone and scoring. I'll see if I can find what it was but, I believe this was mentioned in the Panthers game broadcast. 

And interestingly enough, I think things really went downhill regarding their efficiency in the red zone after that game. Because that is the game where O'Shaughnessy got hurt. He had good chemistry with Minshew. I do think that losing him had a significant impact on the offense and their efficiency. Hopefully, he can come back healthy next season and I think that could really help Minshew and the Jags offense. 

Overall, Gardner has done a pretty good job this year as a rookie, let alone a sixth round rookie, that no one expected to start. He's out performed the other rookies QB's in some areas, and has been right there with them in other areas. If he had started all 16 games, I do believe he would be more of a favorite for OROY. I hope he continues to grow and makes some nice strides forward next season.
(01-02-2020, 11:04 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Add a stud LT and another TE to pair with Oliver/O'Shag and 15 may be able to take the next step.

I don't think he's going to turn into Drew Brees, but he can do enough to make the offense competitive with most teams.
Especially if the defense gets a NT, a MLB , and figures out how to stop the run again.

I don't think anyone envisioned Drew Brees being Drew Brees after his rookie year.  It should be fun to find out.

One answer that impressed me in his last presser, and I'm paraphrasing to some extent, is he said that "he knew he could be a great quarterback in this league".  (he definitely used the word great)

My belief is that if you are going to be great you damn well better have a high opinion of yourself.  We'll see how it plays out.
I don’t have a lot of faith in Doug turning this thing around, but that’s what we’re stuck with. Obviously Tom Coughlin caused a lot of problems within the organization. Apparently Doug was kept out of the loop considering players to bring in or draft. That was evident in the Press conference with Doug and Dave. They talked about the lack of communication within the organization and how important it was to reestablish it. It was evident that Tom was micromanaging everything and by doing so disrupted the organization and finally resulted in his firing. How many times did we hear Doug say he had no influence on who would be brought in or drafted by the team. Cutting out the coaches input for bringing in players is ridiculous and the result of Coughlin is hiring. I’d like to know who was responsible for bringing in Folds and our offense coordinator because they work together. That was a disaster. Also did we bring our offense of line coach in from New York who worked with Coughlin. The result was the offense of line was far worse than the previous year. Was this another Coughlin move? It seems that everything Tom did was counterproductive to Doug’s success. I don’t have faith that Doug is going to turn this around but he should be very happy that Khan gave him one final chance to succeed as the jaguars head coach. Because of the position doug was put in I will support him in this coming year but anything less than a playoff berth and Khan will have no choice but to clean house. Doug needs to find a new line coach and I would personally suggest he replace both the offense of an defense of coordinators.
Check it out. Sports Illustrated didn't even have him listed as an OROY.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/01/01/nfl-aw...f-the-year
(01-02-2020, 11:04 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Add a stud LT and another TE to pair with Oliver/O'Shag and 15 may be able to take the next step.

I haven't watched a ton of our games this year....is Cam Robinson getting worse?
(01-02-2020, 12:18 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: [ -> ]Check it out. Sports Illustrated didn't even have him listed as an OROY.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/01/01/nfl-aw...f-the-year

I saw that too. I am seeing some different lists come out ranking the rookies and I believe there will be more. There definitely seems to be many different opinions on who should be OROY/nominated for it. Especially since we had a lot of impressive performances by several rookies this year. I had mentioned this in another thread but CBS did rank him and Josh in their top 5 lists for offensive and defensive rookies. (He was #4 for offense, Josh was ranked #2 for defensive rookies). I am interested in seeing if he pops up on other lists and if so where he may be ranked.
(01-02-2020, 11:54 AM)Rico Wrote: [ -> ]

One answer that impressed me in his last presser, and I'm paraphrasing to some extent, is he said that "he knew he could be a great quarterback in this league".  (he definitely used the word great)

My belief is that if you are going to be great you damn well better have a high opinion of yourself.  We'll see how it plays out.

Certainly Better than hearing that you’re  not a natural thrower of the ball, huh?
I think his "struggles" were overrated by people putting standards in play not used with any other young QB and done because of draft position lack of pedigree. Outside of the end game mess in London, GM never looked lost like rookies do.

I also think he was handcuffed with the end season preoccupation with volume feeding Fournette that caused lousy first halves. Once that got corrected, Minshew went back to his earlier form.

Seeing the videos of him in the locker room and how the players respond to him was telling for me. I suspect that being snubbed for OROY will fire him up even more for next year. I'm all in on his future. I suspect the FO is too. I think that Star Wars pregame video was revealing.
Of the top 3 candidates - Murray, Jacobs, Brown...Minshew has more wins than Murray, and he beat Jacobs and Brown in their individual games.
Minshew is our guy, and anyone who says anything different just doesn’t want what’s best for the Jags. He’s perfect not only on the field, but off the field as an icon and a fan favorite. I love this kid. Hope he’s our starting QB for a very long time.
I can't imagine how well Minshew would have done if they actually built the offense for him instead of Nick Foles.
(01-02-2020, 12:48 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]I can't imagine how well Minshew would have done if they actually built the offense for him instead of Nick Foles.

Honestly I think he fit nicely in Flip’s system.. ironically better than Foles did.
(01-02-2020, 12:32 PM)IndyJagsFan Wrote: [ -> ]I think his "struggles" were overrated by people putting standards in play not used with any other young QB and done because of draft position lack of pedigree. Outside of the end game mess in London, GM never looked lost like rookies do.

I also think he was handcuffed with the end season preoccupation with volume feeding Fournette that caused lousy first halves. Once that got corrected, Minshew went back to his earlier form.

Seeing the videos of him in the locker room and how the players respond to him was telling for me. I suspect that being snubbed for OROY will fire him up even more for next year. I'm all in on his future. I suspect the FO is too. I think that Star Wars pregame video was revealing.

I do appreciate how competent he has been, especially as a rookie. As we've seen some players (especially really young ones) can struggle getting used to playing at the professional level. I mean really struggle. Earlier this season Dwayne Haskins was really struggling and there was a report that Adrian Peterson told him he needed to get more into the playbook. (Adrian ended up refuting that report but still, things were rough enough that it was floating out there and people believed it.). 

Granted young QB's that really struggle can definitely improve and end up playing well and/or becoming good players. Jared Goff really struggled his first year, to the point to where people were questioning should he be a starter. And then he got a new coach and has improved a lot and went to a Super Bowl. But it's definitely a good thing if players look competent and adjust better early on.

And I've seen that with Gardner. For the most part outside of like the Texans game, he hasn't really looked overwhelmed or like the game is too much/much too fast for him. He's young and still have room for growth and improvement, but he has looked competent and like he has a solid grasp on the game. And him and the team can continue to build on that.
(01-02-2020, 01:07 PM)mal234 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-02-2020, 12:32 PM)IndyJagsFan Wrote: [ -> ]I think his "struggles" were overrated by people putting standards in play not used with any other young QB and done because of draft position lack of pedigree. Outside of the end game mess in London, GM never looked lost like rookies do.

I do appreciate how competent he has been, especially as a rookie. As we've seen some players (especially really young ones) can struggle getting used to playing at the professional level. I mean really struggle. Earlier this season Dwayne Haskins was really struggling and there was a report that Adrian Peterson told him he needed to get more into the playbook. (Adrian ended up refuting that report but still, things were rough enough that it was floating out there and people believed it.). 

Granted young QB's that really struggle can definitely improve and end up playing well and/or becoming good players. Jared Goff really struggled his first year, to the point to where people were questioning should he be a starter. And then he got a new coach and has improved a lot and went to a Super Bowl. But it's definitely a good thing if players look competent and adjust better early on.

And I've seen that with Gardner. For the most part outside of like the Texans game, he hasn't really looked overwhelmed or like the game is too much/much too fast for him. He's young and still have room for growth and improvement, but he has looked competent and like he has a solid grasp on the game. And him and the team can continue to build on that.
Yep. I really wanted Haskins last year too.
God, I was interested in Haskins too. Glad they didn't have to pull the trigger on that. Would've been a real mistake.

Minshew's got his flaws, but for all of those flaws, he's got moxy and absolute confidence in himself. Those are two things you can't coach.

Who knows. Maybe I'm crazy but I'd like to think that, without Coughlin overriding and micromanaging everything, Marrone and Caldwell can get the team into a better position next year to play and compete significantly better than they did this year. I'd rather see them win more games than lose, even if it means not getting a guy like Lawrence. And even then, for all we know Minshew IS the guy for this team.

There's only one way to find out. Start him and prepare him in practice for the next season. Let him show what he's learned in preseason, and if we're lucky, improvement will be in leaps and bounds.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8