Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jax/London: Can you shoot it to me straight?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I’ve moved out of Jacksonville long ago. I didn’t even know the Landing was torn down until this week. I’m out of the loop as far as development goes. But—all I’ve been hearing is how Shad Khan wants to move the Jags out to London. I hear back and forth arguments from he can’t for x amount of years, he’s invested a ton into the Jaguars, he promised he wouldn’t, be made a deal with Wayne Weaver, etc. I hear the opposition say he tried to buy Wembley Stadium, two games in London spells doom, an ex-employee (Craig Kline) says he’s heard from the Khans that he plans on moving and this was always the plan. I’ve even heard that he wants a new stadium. The players hate traveling to London but the NFL wants a team there? What’s going on? 

Does the downtown revitalization project help the Jaguars stay?
1. Shipyard project 
2. The Landing
3. Lot J

He’s invested in Daily’s Place and the scoreboards. What do I make of all this?
(03-30-2020, 07:00 AM)Black and Teal Wrote: [ -> ]I’ve moved out of Jacksonville long ago. I didn’t even know the Landing was torn down until this week. I’m out of the loop as far as development goes. But—all I’ve been hearing is how Shad Khan wants to move the Jags out to London. I hear back and forth arguments from he can’t for x amount of years, he’s invested a ton into the Jaguars, he promised he wouldn’t, be made a deal with Wayne Weaver, etc. I hear the opposition say he tried to buy Wembley Stadium, two games in London spells doom, an ex-employee (Craig Kline) says he’s heard from the Khans that he plans on moving and this was always the plan. I’ve even heard that he wants a new stadium. The players hate traveling to London but the NFL wants a team there? What’s going on? 

Does the downtown revitalization project help the Jaguars stay?
1. Shipyard project 
2. The Landing
3. Lot J

He’s invested in Daily’s Place and the scoreboards. What do I make of all this?

To be clear, Khan has never once wavered from saying that he's committed to keeping the Jaguars in Jacksonville. He's invested money into the stadium and the stadium area and wants to do additional development in the downtown to improve revenue opportunities for the team.  Those projects you mentioned are all part of that. The Landing is a curious thing, since it's been demolished and there's no plan in place for what comes next..  You have to feel that the mayor and the city counsel and Khan have some goal in mind though.  Also, there's a school of thought that having games in London was not only for gate revenue, but to increase the overall fan base for the Jaguars and to improve business opportunities for the city of Jacksonville.  

With that said, who knows what the future holds? I guess it depends on if you trust Khan or not.  My personal feeling is that he would absolutely keep the Jaguars based in Jacksonville as long as he can find a way to get into the top 10 or so in the league in revenue.  Unfortunately, that's going to be really difficult even in the long term. When he bought the team, he obviously had some unrealistic expectations of the potential of a small market team in the south and is feeling some frustration about that. I think he seriously under-estimated the effect that being near the bottom of the league in on field-performance for a decade and half has on any fan base.  He's also seriously under-estimated the blow-back of a second game in London.

The final thing is the stadium lease, which some people feel would be difficult to break but if it came down to it, he'd just pay the penalties which would be pretty small in comparison to the revenue he could generate in a major global market like London.

What I'm saying I guess is that the writing's on the wall.
The answer is, we don't know. Yes, Khan is investing heavily in Jacksonville and the stadium. However, he is in no way bound to this city. That's what makes people nervous.

It's like you're married to a beautiful woman, and some guy comes along and you can't figure out any reason why she doesn't leave you for that other guy, because he's so much better than you are in almost every way. I think that's how Jags fans feel about London. We see how much Khan loves London, how much money he could make moving to London, and how hard it is to sell this losing team here in Jacksonville. And we can't figure out why he doesn't go to London. Then, on top of all that, he seems to be slowly moving in that direction.

In spite of how much Jags fans love the Jags, moving the Jags to London is such a logical move, it's hard to figure out how it couldn't happen.

Even if you think Khan is an honorable man, and even if he is investing in the city, and making every effort to make things work here, there will probably come a time when he says, "I'm sorry, but I don't love you any more. There is someone else. Her name is London."
Moving this team, or any team, to London will never happen. It is a near physical, legal, and logistical impossibility.
My fear is that once he realizes he can’t move to London, he blows up our roots there and moves us somewhere else. He is a businessman first. Don’t know what I’d do if we lost our team though.. probably get a better night’s sleep every Sunday though. I never want to lose this team though. I love the Jags, for better or for worse. I’ll continue to attend games until that day comes, if it does.
(03-30-2020, 08:17 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: [ -> ]My fear is that once he realizes he can’t move to London, he blows up our roots there and moves us somewhere else. He is a businessman first. Don’t know what I’d do if we lost our team though.. probably get a better night’s sleep every Sunday though. I never want to lose this team though. I love the Jags, for better or for worse. I’ll continue to attend games until that day comes, if it does.

What worries me most is he has never established a permanent residence here. He floats his yacht into town on occasion, but other than that he infrequently sleeps in Jax.  

Having an owner who chooses to remain an out-of-towner is troubling somewhat.
(03-30-2020, 07:56 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]Moving this team, or any team, to London will never happen. It is a near physical, legal, and logistical impossibility.

Not sure i would say never. Advances in technology will one day make that trip to London very short.
I’ve always been curious what Tony’s views are. Eventually the team will be his. It appears he has a big presence in Jacksonville but who knows.
(03-30-2020, 08:50 AM)uthill Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-30-2020, 07:56 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]Moving this team, or any team, to London will never happen. It is a near physical, legal, and logistical impossibility.

Not sure i would say never. Advances in technology will one day make that trip to London very short.

One day being in about 20-30 years by the time an aircraft is designed and economically feasible for a team to charter weekly. Be reasonable.
(03-30-2020, 07:00 AM)Black and Teal Wrote: [ -> ]What’s going on? 

The Jags are playing two games in London whenever we have an NFL season again. 

That's basically it.  

Many folks are keen to make assumptions and connect untethered dots because of the second overseas game addition, but most of those are premature.  
The second game is simply Khan taking further advantage of an existing revenue opportunity. It sucks for local fans but bumps the team's fiscal numbers up closer to the league average - which is something Khan and Lamping are sharply focused on. A common take is that they are too focused on this -  to the point of "greed" at the expense of the fanbase.
(03-30-2020, 08:59 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-30-2020, 08:50 AM)uthill Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure i would say never. Advances in technology will one day make that trip to London very short.

One day being in about 20-30 years by the time an aircraft is designed and economically feasible for a team to charter weekly. Be reasonable.

Hey, we could call it the Concorde!  Oh wait, that name's already taken.

We don't need new technology...….....it's already in the museum.
(03-30-2020, 12:27 PM)Sneakers Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-30-2020, 08:59 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]One day being in about 20-30 years by the time an aircraft is designed and economically feasible for a team to charter weekly. Be reasonable.

He did say economically feasible, which the concorde was not. Hence why its in a museum.
(03-30-2020, 12:27 PM)Sneakers Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-30-2020, 08:59 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]One day being in about 20-30 years by the time an aircraft is designed and economically feasible for a team to charter weekly. Be reasonable.

The Concorde was very expensive to fly and maintain, which is why there were so few and tickets were so outrageously expensive. There are designs in the works to overcome the shortcomings of the Concorde's 60s technology such as better aerodynamics, fuel efficiency, sound mitigation, and environmental considerations. We can build a supersonic aircraft today if we wanted, but it wouldn't be ideally viable.
I see the situation ending in a 4 games in London and 4 in JAX end.
(03-30-2020, 07:30 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: [ -> ]I see the situation ending in a 4 games in London and 4 in JAX end.

I'm in agreement with this particular vision.
The worst part is that the only people who will suffer will be the longterm season ticket holders. My guess is that a 4/4 with London would drastically improve the Jags' national reputation, increase its' respect and profile within the league, make the team much more financially stable and probably be a longterm boon to the city itself with international ties with businesses in Great Britain. It'll make the team and city special and the casual single game attendees will still come and not be affected by the loss of home games. Us diehards would be the only ones who suffer.
As long as they have the name Jacksonville and Jaguars I’ll support this team. 4/4 in Jax/London would be brutal.
(03-30-2020, 07:30 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: [ -> ]I see the situation ending in a 4 games in London and 4 in JAX end.

I don’t see that happening because it will only result in a frustrated and dwindling fan base here and an increasingly disinterested fan base there. 

American football is a novelty treat over there, not a staple meal item like here.
I've mentioned before that I'm an Eagles fan, but this topic interests me. If the Eagles moved to some other city, but remained the Eagles with the history intact and nothing else changed (like the Cardinals or Colts, for instance), I'd remain an Eagles fan and just as die hard as ever. The city change wouldn't cause me to leave my loyalties.

If the Jags moved (to London or any other city outside of Florida), would you as Jags fans remain with the team? That's assuming that the move wasn't like when the Browns moved to Baltimore and left the team history in Cleveland.
(03-30-2020, 08:50 AM)uthill Wrote: [ -> ]

I don't think it's as much a technology issue as it is a logistical nightmare, and a potential problem with collective bargaining as it is today.  If you relocate an NFL franchise to London, you're subjected to their taxes and labor laws.  

I agree that it's difficult to say it will never happen, but the opportunity to put any team(s) in London is at least a decade away with the new collective bargaining agreement.
(03-31-2020, 12:16 PM)VBE Wrote: [ -> ]I've mentioned before that I'm an Eagles fan, but this topic interests me. If the Eagles moved to some other city, but remained the Eagles with the history intact and nothing else changed (like the Cardinals or Colts, for instance), I'd remain an Eagles fan and just as die hard as ever. The city change wouldn't cause me to leave my loyalties.

If the Jags moved (to London or any other city outside of Florida), would you as Jags fans remain with the team? That's assuming that the move wasn't like when the Browns moved to Baltimore and left the team history in Cleveland.

No.
Pages: 1 2