Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Day one Draft Grades
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Prisco's grades for our picks.

Quote:Jaguars, CB CJ Henderson, Florida

Grade: B+. I love him because he can cover. There are so many guys in the NFL that I talked to leading up to the draft that thought he was better than Okudah.
Quote:Jaguars, EDGE K'Lavon Chaisson, LSU

Grade: B+. This is a guy that has to stay on the field. When he was on the field he was productive, but he had some injury issues. He has to show that he can hold up against the run at 254 pounds.

Walterfootball.com
Quote:Jacksonville Jaguars: C.J. Henderson, CB, Florida - B+ Grade
This isn't a sexy pick, but it's a solid one, and it's probably what the Jaguars should have done outside of trading down. We know that at least one NFL team slotted Henderson ahead of Jeff Okudah on their board, so the Jaguars might be getting their top cornerback at No. 9. Henderson is very talented and happens to be more athletic than Okudah, and he fills a huge need with Jalen Ramsey and A.J. Bouye both gone.

Jacksonville Jaguars: K'Lavon Chaisson, DE, LSU - A Grade

I bet the Jaguars didn't anticipate K'Lavon Chaisson being available. He was expected to go off the board at 16 or 17, but thanks to some other teams' stupidity, he fell to Jacksonville at 20. This is a great bargain for Chaisson, who will be able to replace Yannick Ngakoue once the Jaguars understand what his value is and trade him.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2020-...ound-pick/

Sporting News

Quote:9. Jacksonville Jaguars: C.J. Henderson, CB, Florida
  • Grade: B
The Jaguars get much-needed cornerback help after trading away both Jalen Ramsey and A.J. Bouye and with Brown and Simmons gone for other parts of their defense. Henderson (6-1, 204 pounds) plays bigger than his size with great athleticism and technique in his favor. He just needs to get a little more physical to be trusted against receivers who rely on body positioning to get open.

20. Jacksonville Jaguars (from Rams): K'Lavon Chaisson, OLB, LSU
  • Grade: A+
The Jaguars get a steal for their defense with this pick after landing Henderson at cornerback in the top 10. They have a dicey pass-rush situation with Calais Campbell traded and Yannick Ngakoue disgruntled, and they are a little weak at linebacker next to Myles Jack and Joe Schobert. This pick addresses both issues. Chaisson (6-3, 254 pounds) has a great name for an elite, active defender who chases after QBs and RBs alike. He had 6.5 sacks and 60 tackles during LSU’s championship run, and like several teammates, his draft stock shot up throughout the season.

UsaToday  (side note:  These are the most brutal draft grades I've seen a media outlet give to a draft class as a whole.  This guy trashes half the league  LOL

Quote:Henderson might be the smoothest athlete in this class. And that athleticism allows him to stick with any type of receiver in any kind of coverage. There are some concerns: He’s not overly physical and he’s allergic to tackling. But his coverage skills make him a player worth taking this high. I would have opted for LSU’s Kristian Fulton, but there are worse ways to use this pick.  C+

Chaisson is an athletic freak who can play anywhere in the front seven. He has the tools to dominate as an edge defender but never really did it at LSU. He carried out a lot of jobs for the Tigers defense, but there was nothing he did at a high level. The Jaguars coaching staff will have to do a tremendous job developing him in order for this pick to work out.   D+

si.com

9. Jacksonville Jaguars: CB C.J. Henderson

It’s pretty simple: The Jaguars were strapped for cap space and had to get rid of expensive veteran A.J. Bouye and, before that, soon-to-be expensive superstar Jalen Ramsey. So they did, and to compensate, they drafted the man some see as the best corner in this year’s class. One might argue that the Jags, who play a lot more Seahawks-style zone coverage than pure man-to-man, do not need to spend so heavily for a cornerback. But in that Seahawks-style scheme, the perimeter corners often have de facto man-to-man responsibilities. Henderson can perform those duties, via both press-man and mirror technique coverage.

20. Jacksonville Jaguars (from LA Rams): OLB K'Lavon Chaisson

Just like with their previous pick, the Jaguars are filling a need that was brought about by a veteran departure. Or, an upcoming veteran departure, anyway. Defensive end Yannick Ngakoue wants to get paid and has been very publicly campaigning for a trade. The Jags seem likely to give him one, even though Ngakoue is an explosive, top-shelf edge-bender and Jacksonville’s Cover 3-based defensive scheme cannot work without a quality four-man pass rush. GRADE: B+

Chaisson won’t even be 21 until July, and naturally, much of his game still needs to be developed. But his raw talent is eye-popping, and the Jags, amidst a roster overhaul, can afford to be patient here. And if last year’s first-round pick, Josh Allen, builds on his encouraging rookie season, this defense can look forward to having one of the league’s most dominant edge-rushing tandems. RADE: B
Yeah I think some y’all overreacting

Face it, none of you would of been happy had the first 8 picks gone that way. What the heck were the Jags supposed to do? Simmons would have been ours, but it just didn’t work out. The WR’s fell.

While I don’t like us taking Florida players, I’m happy with the Henderson pick. We need an edge rusher if Yannick leaves, or maybe he stays per Caldwells conference, and we have 3 AMAZING pass rushers.

If we get Houston, Higgins or Delpit or hell even Jonathan Taylor tomorrow, I’ll be Happy.
I don’t think these are good or bad picks right now, I honestly haven’t kept up with the ncaa at all the last year so I don’t know.

What I do know is I have zero faith in the front office. I’m just waiting to find out which ones a backup and which ones the head case we have to cut in three years?

But boy toy Tony said it’s a new regime so maybe this time it will be different
I think sometimes we get so wrapped up in the draft, what players we want, that we feel disappointed when things don't go exactly as we thought. I gave very little thought to Henderson or Chaisson. But in retrospect, the picks make sense. Both are highly rated players. Both play premium positions. Both filled a need.

Sure, I had hoped we would get Brown and one of the top WRs, or Jeudy/Lamb and Kinlaw, and so forth. Or that we'd go all offense to help GM. We all have our fantasies. But if you take a step back, both these picks make perfect sense.

Highly rated players who play premium positions and who fill needs. I can't criticize that.
This first round feels like the Jags were making up for the two positions that tired to crap on the organization

I think they were probably Tony Khan picks. Did they even show Caldwell or Marrone’s “war rooms”?
(04-24-2020, 06:51 AM)jaglyn Wrote: [ -> ]This first round feels like the Jags were making up for the two positions that tired to crap on the organization

I think they were probably Tony Khan picks. Did they even show Caldwell or Marrone’s “war rooms”?

Like the calls to the player? They did, but it's weird because they're all facetiming.
(04-24-2020, 06:51 AM)jaglyn Wrote: [ -> ]This first round feels like the Jags were making up for the two positions that tired to crap on the organization

In retrospect I'm warming up to them. Both guys seem very skilled, finely tuned to their positions and our scheme. More importantly, their personalities seem a lot more humble than their predecessors, Yan and Jalen. I hope we can get Gardner some help with Josh Jones, Denzel Mims, Tee Higgins, or Michael Pittman tonight.
No other NFL FO has less juice than the Jags. No creativity, sense of value (take the LAR's #19 for #91), awareness that this league is about big, athletic men (Wirfs) vs. big, athletic men, and I have zero faith in the GM and HC.

Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome to Jacksonvillein 2021 either Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields.
The USA Today guy needs to sit down...would have taken a CB that's still on the board after 6 drafted at 9 overall...

Watch whoever does draft Fulton still get a C grade from him.
(04-24-2020, 07:44 AM)BlueEyedJag Wrote: [ -> ]The USA Today guy needs to sit down...would have taken a CB that's still on the board after 6 drafted at 9 overall...

If Fulton is still available when the Jags pick in the 2nd, I'd be pleased with that pick as well. He or Henderson are capable of being a #1 corner.
SBnation draft grades:

3. Jacksonville Jaguars: Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida
The grade: B
The risk: Blake Bortles still has some developing to do. He needs to step into his throws more often and get back to driving the ball down the field. He may not be ready to start right away.

The reward: The Jaguars pulled the trigger on a quarterback, the biggest need on their roster. General manager Dave Caldwell identified his guy and didn't hesitate to take him off the board. Bortles has the most upside of any quarterback in this class, and the Jaguars can sit him at first while Chad Henne starts the season.

4. Buffalo Bills: Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
The grade: C+
The risk: The reason this choice is graded this low is the cost. Giving up a first-round pick next year is a big gamble for the Bills to move up five spots in the draft. If the Bills have a bad record next season, this is a crushing amount to give up.

The reward: At the least, Watkins helps improve one of the NFL's worst passing offenses. Watkins should become the No. 1 receiver the Bills don't have. There's little Watkins can't do at wide receiver. At best, Watkins can help push the Buffalo offense over the top and make the choice of E.J. Manuel in the first round last year worth it.
(04-24-2020, 08:10 AM)Anaheim Jaguars Wrote: [ -> ]SBnation draft grades:

3. Jacksonville Jaguars: Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida
The grade: B
The risk: Blake Bortles still has some developing to do. He needs to step into his throws more often and get back to driving the ball down the field. He may not be ready to start right away.

The reward: The Jaguars pulled the trigger on a quarterback, the biggest need on their roster. General manager Dave Caldwell identified his guy and didn't hesitate to take him off the board. Bortles has the most upside of any quarterback in this class, and the Jaguars can sit him at first while Chad Henne starts the season.

4. Buffalo Bills: Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
The grade: C+
The risk: The reason this choice is graded this low is the cost. Giving up a first-round pick next year is a big gamble for the Bills to move up five spots in the draft. If the Bills have a bad record next season, this is a crushing amount to give up.

The reward: At the least, Watkins helps improve one of the NFL's worst passing offenses. Watkins should become the No. 1 receiver the Bills don't have. There's little Watkins can't do at wide receiver. At best, Watkins can help push the Buffalo offense over the top and make the choice of E.J. Manuel in the first round last year worth it.

Hindsight 20/20. Watkins would've been a better pick, but he shouldn't have been drafted in the top 10 because he's never functioned as an elite #1 receiver. He's now realizing some of his potential by playing as a complementary playmaker to Kelce and Tyreek. That's not #4 pick worthy.
We drafting like redundant player positions at high draft positions because front office cant keep players in their prime happy. We never gonna get better this way. Like always starting over after 3 season.
The picks themselves are fine. Not bad value, premium enough positions, talented players with very high ceilings, fill obvious needs.

But I just can't escape the feeling that this franchise is just going around in circles. It's like we are unable or unwilling to evolve. Feeling very meh today. Might be the hangover.
(04-24-2020, 08:01 AM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-24-2020, 07:44 AM)BlueEyedJag Wrote: [ -> ]The USA Today guy needs to sit down...would have taken a CB that's still on the board after 6 drafted at 9 overall...

If Fulton is still available when the Jags pick in the 2nd, I'd be pleased with that pick as well. He or Henderson are capable of being a #1 corner.

I'd be fine with Fulton in the 2nd as well but you got to have some perspective when you make a statement like I would have taken Fulton instead when "professional teams" passed on Fulton as well for 4 other CBs and he still could go after Diggs and some other CBs.

And it's just going to be funny if we do pick him at 42 he would still give it a C grade even though he states he would have taken him at 9.
Grade F-

No one gives two [BLEEP] about defense in the NFL, it's an offense league. No matter how good the defense is this team's offense cannot score enough points to win games. Offensive weapons were available and overlooked. Caldwell should be fired.
(04-24-2020, 08:20 AM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: [ -> ]We drafting like redundant player positions at high draft positions because front office cant keep players in their prime happy. We never gonna get better this way.  Like always starting over after 3 season.

This pretty much sums it up.
(04-24-2020, 11:34 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Grade F-

No one gives two [BLEEP] about defense in the NFL, it's an offense league. No matter how good the defense is this team's offense cannot score enough points to win games. Offensive weapons were available and overlooked. Caldwell should be fired.

Yup. If we kept our  star defensive players happy , we'd be drafting offensive firepower.
(04-24-2020, 07:38 AM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: [ -> ]

In retrospect I'm warming up to them. Both guys seem very skilled, finely tuned to their positions and our scheme. More importantly, their personalities seem a lot more humble than their predecessors, Yan and Jalen. I hope we can get Gardner some help with Josh Jones, Denzel Mims, Tee Higgins, or Michael Pittman tonight.

Right now, I have become more receptive to Henderson than Chaisson.
(04-24-2020, 11:34 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Grade F-

While I am not that thrilled with the first round, I wouldn't go THIS far.

1.  Defense is very important in the NFL, even with all of the rules changes.  This last Super bowl is proof.

The year before, KC was 30th in total defense and didn't reach the Super Bowl. 

KC fired its defensive coordinator and brought in a couple of key defensive free agents.  They moved up to 10th in total defense.  They won the game.

San Francisco was 2nd in total defense, reached the Super Bowl primarily by running the ball down people's throats, and controlled most of the Super Bowl with defense and the running game.

Throughout their twenty year run that featured 9 Super bowl appearances and 6 wins, the Patriots have had a strong defense.

Denver won with defense, and Seattle went to back to back Super Bowls with a great defense.

Furthermore, there are still plenty of weapons available left in the draft.  Will we get enough of them AND still fill the holes in the offensive line and DT?  That s the question.

(04-24-2020, 08:20 AM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: [ -> ]We drafting like redundant player positions at high draft positions because front office cant keep players in their prime happy. We never gonna get better this way.  Like always starting over after 3 season.

As I said in another post, we are drafting on a treadmill.
Pages: 1 2