Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jags have finally hit rock bottom! How has the draft helped this team?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Looks like the NFL don't believe Dave did enough this off season to really improve the Jags.  This team is in an endless state of rebuilding!

If the 2020 season does continue, I will go into this season with the very minimal of expectations.  On the bright side, if the jags are this bad we are guaranteed 1st overall pick in 2021.  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...2020-draft
Respect is earned, but also in our franchise history we have never been bad enough to have the 1st pick.

Last year we won 6 games with a rookie. This great he will be better and so will our defense. I see us finish adding 7-10 wins.
(04-28-2020, 12:54 AM)icey14 Wrote: [ -> ]Respect is earned, but also in our franchise history we have never been bad enough to have the 1st pick.

Last year we won 6 games with a rookie. This great he will be better and so will our defense.  I see us finish adding 7-10 wins.

10???

Yo pass it over lol.
(04-28-2020, 12:00 AM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]Looks like the NFL don't believe Dave did enough this off season to really improve the Jags.  This team is in an endless state of rebuilding!

If the 2020 season does continue, I will go into this season with the very minimal of expectations.  On the bright side, if the jags are this bad we are guaranteed 1st overall pick in 2021.  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...2020-draft

No, it's not the NFL's opinion.  In the opinion of Dan Hanzus.  And with that bit of ranking he's officially an idiot.
I like to look on the bright side.  

Yes - this was another bad draft where Dave could have been aggressive and used some of those extra picks to move up and grab Josh Jones, or trade back in the 1st and pick up an extra 3rd and 4th rounder.  But the positive is that the team will be awful in 2020.  

We've got an excellent chance to get Trevor Lawrence.  A true franchise QB for the first time since Brunell.  DC and DM will have to be fired after finishing with 2-3 wins.  

We really could be competing for a playoff spot by 2023.  And by 2023 we'll probably be playing 4 games in London and 4 games in Jax which could actually be a competitive advantage.
Well, since we were the 9th worst team last year, and thousands of guys do power rankings, then, statistically speaking, we are bound to find someone who puts us last. If a thousand monkeys are whacking away randomly on typewriters, one of them will inevitably produce an NFL power ranking that has the Jaguars in last place.

And also, again, Dan Hanzus is not "the NFL."
The cry is strong with this one. Thread after thread. Must have been banned from the news comments sections.
Do I agree with everything the OP says? No.

However, Vegas has given the Jags the worst odds to win the SB. It’s a pretty consensus on the national stage that right now, the Jags are the worst team in the NFL.
(04-28-2020, 06:50 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]Well, since we were the 9th worst team last year, and thousands of guys do power rankings, then, statistically speaking, we are bound to find someone who puts us last.  If a thousand monkeys are whacking away randomly on typewriters, one of them will inevitably produce an NFL power ranking that has the Jaguars in last place.  

And also, again, Dan Hanzus is not "the NFL."

Pretty much every mock draft has us picking #1. somehow I doubt they think the Rams will be that bad, but I could be wrong.

That said, I don't agree. 

How has our draft helped? Well let's look at this year compared to how we finished the season last year which wasn't close to the worst in the NFL with Minshew winning six games in 12 starts.

On defense we replaced Bouye with a better CB in the draft. We lost Campbell who was a big loss, but filled holes at DT and MLB. Overall, I think our defense is as good, if not better than last year after the Ramsey trade.

On offense we lost nobody of significance. We added a good but oft-injured TE (although he played all 16 games last year) in free agency. Rookies Taylor should improve at RT and Minshew at QB. Robinson might improve at LT since he's another year away from his knee injury. Oliver might be healthy this year. We added what appears to be a good OT who could either push Robinson inside or replace Cann himself. He's a small school guy but dominated there and against better competition in the Senior Bowl. I think our offense is better this year.
Cool. If we can verify we hit rock bottom, I'd be ecstatic because every time we think we're there (mostly during the Gabbert era), we get worse.
(04-28-2020, 07:36 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]Cool.  If we can verify we hit rock bottom, I'd be ecstatic because every time we think we're there (mostly during the Gabbert era), we get worse.

Even if the team goes 0-16 it's better than it was in 2013.
We haven't hit rock bottom. Because we're the Jaguars, we will win 7 games next year and be out of the running for Fields or Lawrence. Which might be okay, Minshew's been pretty good. But people have REALLY been overselling his "SIX WINS!" The only team with a winning record we beat last year was the Titans (who were starting Mariota at the time). Not exactly impressive. We'll get to see how Minshew does this year. I don't think we'll end up drafting in the Top 5. If Minshew is the answer, that's probably fine. But if he isn't, then things are probably going to get worse before they get better.
(04-28-2020, 07:49 AM)MalabarJag Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-28-2020, 07:36 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]Cool.  If we can verify we hit rock bottom, I'd be ecstatic because every time we think we're there (mostly during the Gabbert era), we get worse.

Even if the team goes 0-16 it's better than it was in 2013.

It definitely would be there year with Trevor and Justin waiting in the wings at QB (because an 0-16 record would indicate Minshew is not part of the solution).
(04-28-2020, 08:42 AM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote: [ -> ]We haven't hit rock bottom.  Because we're the Jaguars, we will win 7 games next year and be out of the running for Fields or Lawrence.  Which might be okay, Minshew's been pretty good.  But people have REALLY been overselling his "SIX WINS!"  The only team with a winning record we beat last year was the Titans (who were starting Mariota at the time).  Not exactly impressive.  We'll get to see how Minshew does this year.  I don't think we'll end up drafting in the Top 5.  If Minshew is the answer, that's probably fine.  But if he isn't, then things are probably going to get worse before they get better.

Yeah I have appreciated the NFL rewind.  Re-watching has taken some of the emotion out of it.  Minshew played great for a rookie with limited reps.  It will come down to how hard he works and how much practice they are allowed this year.  This team isn't picking number 1 overall.  Hasn't happened through the team's history.  Even though we have been very, very, bad we are always okay enough to avoid pick number 1.

Honestly I was listening to around the league podcast again but after 5 episodes had to eject again.  Really, really tired of NY and CA media bias.  Does that mean they have the Jaguars all wrong?  Nah just tired of how much they don't pay attention to the Jaguars.
Well deserved ranking. As long as we finish bottom 3 it'll be worth. Fields/Lawrence to press reset on QB or Sewell as your all pro LT for next 12-15 yrs.
It's gonna be great when Arizona is picking #1 again because Kyler Murray suuuuuuuuucks.
(04-28-2020, 09:16 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]It's gonna be great when Arizona is picking #1 again because Kyler Murray suuuuuuuuucks.
I’ll take that bet.
I like when we go back to being the underdog. Bring it!
(04-28-2020, 12:54 AM)icey14 Wrote: [ -> ]Respect is earned, but also in our franchise history we have never been bad enough to have the 1st pick.

Last year we won 6 games with a rookie. This great he will be better and so will our defense.  I see us finish adding 7-10 wins.

I'm not sure this year especially with the defense.  Let me say this though, I think talent wise the defense is much better than it was 3 weeks ago.  I also think we have three premium young guys and a really good Inside Linebacker in Joe Scho.  The thing I worry about in relying on Chaisson, Henderson, Hamilton is that without a full training camp, without the installs in mini camps, we are going to finish worse than our talent level would suggest.  I said this to one of my Panthers fans as well.  I think the Panthers also drafted well and restocked their D.  But I think because of the current social situation with Covid, these teams will finish on defense worse than their talent level suggest.  So with that, I think the team is in good position for Lawrence, UNLESS, the Patriots are trying to get the #1 which I doubt.
(04-28-2020, 09:29 AM)JAllen#41 Wrote: [ -> ]

I'm not sure this year especially with the defense.  Let me say this though, I think talent wise the defense is much better than it was 3 weeks ago.  I also think we have three premium young guys and a really good Inside Linebacker in Joe Scho.  The thing I worry about in relying on Chaisson, Henderson, Hamilton is that without a full training camp, without the installs in mini camps, we are going to finish worse than our talent level would suggest.  I said this to one of my Panthers fans as well.  I think the Panthers also drafted well and restocked their D.  But I think because of the current social situation with Covid, these teams will finish on defense worse than their talent level suggest.  So with that, I think the team is in good position for Lawrence, UNLESS, the Patriots are trying to get the #1 which I doubt.

This is where I think Wash could save his reputation as being a pretty [BLEEP] box coach and schemer. BECAUSE of the delays this year and this summer. He might actually be better served keeping the defense as simplified as possible. 

Instead of trying to pigeon hole players into positions and roles they're not fit to be in right now he should just play up to their strengths. Based on the guys they selected in this year's draft I would be led to believe that they're leaning more towards man-to-man coverage and more front seven blitzes and stunt packages to fill in these gaps against the run and get after the QB. 

I am fine by that. Live by the blitz. Die by the blitz. I can live with that. Just don't let me catch you going into a 5 - 7 yards off the LOS zone scheme on 3rd and 3 against a veteran QB that will take those odds all damn day. Don't make it easy. Just make an offense work for it or at least pay the price for it. 

I would love to see Ngakoue bring his sorry [BLEEP] on back but I doubt it. But at this point just pin the ears back on Allen, Chaisson and Jack and let your best athletes on the football field effect and impact the most important aspect of the football field which is the passing game.
Pages: 1 2 3