Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Smithsonian Debuts Utterly Absurd Whiteness Poster
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Smithsonian Debuts Utterly Absurd Whiteness Poster, But It Has Major Problems

Recently, the Smithsonian’s National Museum of African American History & Culture debuted a stunningly racist poster that lists supposed signs of “whiteness” or “white dominant culture.”

https://www.westernjournal.com/smithsoni...DH9-cZUBuc
If hard work, rational thinking and self-reliance are characteristic of whites, doesn't this imply those attributes are not characteristic of blacks?
Interesting...

[Image: Ec90PqvXgAc2z16?format=png&name=large]

[Image: Ec90PpjWAAE61s2?format=png&name=large]
I suppose I'm totally unoffended by all of this.
I'm not at all qualified to make any posters like this, but I have to wonder what one for blacks would look like...
Scientific method? Are we going to claim GW Carver didn't respect the scientific method? Are we going to claim Barack Obama or Michael Jordan didn't work hard to get their goals?
This is what happens when you let morons have a voice.
(07-16-2020, 01:20 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting...

FIRST, the flag is not hanging in the right direction. Stars are always in the upper left corner. 

There is so much wrong with this poster. 

That family structure bit is from the 50s. There is nothing wrong with a two parent home and I think it is ideal, but there are plenty of single parents who are so by choice. Women being submissive?! Lololol. There are some white couples who feel this way but they are not the norm. Fresh hell. And 2.3 kids? How about couples who have no kids? Plenty of them too. I mean, if you're talking about very conservative families then I guess this is the normal mindset, but even then a lot of them don't check all the boxes 100%. Not every church goer is a conservative much less very conservative.

As for the laws and such..... This country was founded and laws were written by English white men who were Christians so of course most everything is based on or around that. They didn't come here to establish Middle Eastern, Central & South American or African laws and religion. They started with what they knew and tweaked it for The New World. 

The other things, such as white women beauty based on blonde hair blue eyes skinny types... Lololol. Like we women think that's the standard. Advertising agencies and models (and actresses to a degree) established that, not us. It wasn't until Kate Moss burst onto the scene in the early 90s that super skinny was considered even remotely attractive- and it's really not. Look at old photos and videos of Christie Brinkley, Cindy Crawford, Linda Evangelista, Naomi, etc., and they were the standard. They were what a healthy 20-something typically looks like. 

I could go on but it's too absurd to spend anymore energy on it.
I don’t understand is this saying those aspects of society are based on white culture and Therefore bad?
(07-16-2020, 08:37 PM)EricC85 Wrote: [ -> ]I don’t understand is this saying those aspects of society are based on white culture and Therefore bad?

I read it as if you have these qualities you must be white and that is bad.  I honestly do not know how to take this mentality at all.  Having a strong work ethic and commitment to family is somehow wrong.  Being self reliant and taking care of yourself without government assistance is a bad thing?  How in the hell did we ever get here?
Irrational thinking, dependency, village units run by Matriarchy, laziness, aversion to math, ...are they sure they really want to advertise those traits as "non-white culture?"
This is incredibly offensive to hard working Blacks, Hispanics, Indians, Asians and to some degree, Whites. What is the point of something this stupid even existing except to create more divisiveness?
(07-16-2020, 11:41 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]This is incredibly offensive to hard working Blacks, Hispanics, Indians, Asians and to some degree, Whites.  What is the point of something this stupid even existing except to create more divisiveness?

These people want division, it's how they generate social power.
The author of that drivel...

[Image: 808-D7-A00-E748-4864-98-C7-28-B97-AC4-EFF6.jpg]

I don't know what's wrong with that poster.  Those are definitely aspects of white culture.  Maybe one or two I might argue with, but overall, it's true.
(07-17-2020, 07:09 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]

I don't know what's wrong with that poster.  Those are definitely aspects of white culture.  Maybe one or two I might argue with, but overall, it's true.

Do you agree that many of the aspects listed are characteristic of responsible, industrious people, regardless of color?
(07-17-2020, 07:34 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-17-2020, 07:09 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know what's wrong with that poster.  Those are definitely aspects of white culture.  Maybe one or two I might argue with, but overall, it's true.

Do you agree that many of the aspects listed are characteristic of responsible, industrious people, regardless of color?

Of course.  Because those aspects of "white culture" are also aspects of many cultures, or have been widely adopted by non-white people.
(07-17-2020, 07:38 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-17-2020, 07:34 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]Do you agree that many of the aspects listed are characteristic of responsible, industrious people, regardless of color?

Of course.  Because those aspects of "white culture" are also aspects of many cultures, or have been widely adopted by non-white people.

What surprises me is there isn’t widespread outrage by non-whites. If I were a POC, I’d be deeply offended by it.
(07-17-2020, 08:02 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-17-2020, 07:38 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]Of course.  Because those aspects of "white culture" are also aspects of many cultures, or have been widely adopted by non-white people.

What surprises me is there isn’t widespread outrage by non-whites. If I were a POC, I’d be deeply offended by it.

I don't know why they would be offended.  Just because something is an aspect of one culture doesn't mean they are not aspects of some other culture.  

The article linked by Drifter is just another example of people getting offended for the sake of being offended.
(07-17-2020, 08:10 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-17-2020, 08:02 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]What surprises me is there isn’t widespread outrage by non-whites. If I were a POC, I’d be deeply offended by it.

I don't know why they would be offended.  Just because something is an aspect of one culture doesn't mean they are not aspects of some other culture.  

The article linked by Drifter is just another example of people getting offended for the sake of being offended.

Am I wrong for believing this poster implies these aspects are characteristic of only white people?
(07-17-2020, 08:13 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-17-2020, 08:10 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know why they would be offended.  Just because something is an aspect of one culture doesn't mean they are not aspects of some other culture.  

Am I wrong for believing this poster implies these aspects are characteristic of only white people?

I would say yes, you are absolutely wrong to think that.  There is no one who would say that aspects of culture cannot be adopted by anyone regardless of race or national origin.  Just because we say "Germans are hard working people" doesn't mean no one else is hard working, for example.  Or if we say, "Part of American culture is Christianity" does that mean that there are no other Christians in the world than Americans?  

The poster just says these are characteristics of white culture.  Now, you can argue with that.  But what the poster does not say is, there are no other cultures that have these characteristics.

If I accept your standard, that defining white culture means no other cultures have these characteristics, then we can't define anything, because according to that standard, the thing being defined would monopolize every aspect of that definition.  We can't say, "this table is flat" because that would imply that the only flat things are tables.  I suppose then we could be offended on behalf of the floor, because the floor is also flat, but seriously... really?
(07-17-2020, 08:27 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-17-2020, 08:13 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]Am I wrong for believing this poster implies these aspects are characteristic of only white people?

I would say yes, you are absolutely wrong to think that.  There is no one who would say that aspects of culture cannot be adopted by anyone regardless of race or national origin.  Just because we say "Germans are hard working people" doesn't mean no one else is hard working, for example.  Or if we say, "Part of American culture is Christianity" does that mean that there are no other Christians in the world than Americans?  

The poster just says these are characteristics of white culture.  Now, you can argue with that.  But what the poster does not say is, there are no other cultures that have these characteristics.

If I accept your standard, that defining white culture means no other cultures have these characteristics, then we can't define anything, because according to that standard, the thing being defined would monopolize every aspect of that definition.  We can't say, "this table is flat" because that would imply that the only flat things are tables.

That’s a valid point but the poster header states that these are characteristics of whiteness that have been “normalized” by other cultures. I take that to mean if not for white people, the world would be inhabited by folks who exhibit few or none of these characteristics.
Pages: 1 2 3 4