Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Classic Game Broadcasts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
https://twitter.com/BrentASJax/status/12...59171?s=20

For those of us who wish to relive classic Jaguars football, and those of us who weren't around to see these games...
NICE!
That 96 Denver game was awesome. Can't wait to see it again.
That 2007 Steelers Game was the last great victory for the Jags until the 2017 season.

We went from thinking we were 1 player away from a Super Bowl to then ultimately sucking for an entire decade.  SOUND FAMILIAR?
(08-18-2020, 11:55 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]That 2007 Steelers Game was the last great victory for the Jags until the 2017 season.

We went from thinking we were 1 player away from a Super Bowl to then ultimately sucking for an entire decade.  SOUND FAMILIAR?

This is a good news thread thank you very much Wink
(08-18-2020, 09:03 AM)icey14 Wrote: [ -> ]That 96 Denver game was awesome. Can't wait to see it again.

Witnessing that run as it unfolded was unreal. 

I wish every Jaguars fan were around to experience it.

The closest it felt like was the 2017 Jaguars, only it was a wilder ride.

It was the Jaguars 1st ever trip to the playffs.

We started the season 4-7 and were left for dead at that point.

But then everything that needed to happen happened.

The Jaguars started putting things together.

Every team ahead of us that needed to lose, lost.

Darn near every bounce went our way.

Even had a hall of fame kicker miss a chip shot.
Another interesting fact.

Do you realize that out of our 4 biggest victories, 2 of the teams that we beat (Broncos and Steelers) went on to win the Super Bowl the following year. In fact, after beating the Broncos, they went on to win back to back Super Bowls.
(08-19-2020, 10:45 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]Another interesting fact.

Do you realize that out of our 4 biggest victories, 2 of the teams that we beat (Broncos and Steelers) went on to win the Super Bowl the following year.  In fact, after beating the Broncos, they went on to win back to back Super Bowls.

I still remember when we played the Broncos again in the playoffs the following year. They went up like 21-0, then we came back 21-17. I still remember Elway's face, like "this can't be happening again". Then he made sure it didn’t in the second half.
(08-19-2020, 05:47 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-19-2020, 10:45 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]Another interesting fact.

Do you realize that out of our 4 biggest victories, 2 of the teams that we beat (Broncos and Steelers) went on to win the Super Bowl the following year.  In fact, after beating the Broncos, they went on to win back to back Super Bowls.

I still remember when we played the Broncos again in the playoffs the following year. They went up like 21-0, then we came back 21-17. I still remember Elway's face, like "this can't be happening again". Then he made sure it didn’t in the second half.

I will always be mad at Dave Widell for short hopping the snap (Brunell was under C) at about the Denver ten yard line.  We had the momentum and the ball.  I think if we score on that drive, Denver folds again.
Does anybody remember in 2006 when the Denver RB fumbled the ball our 10 yard line which gave us the win at the very end of the game ?

So glad they are putting football back on.
(08-20-2020, 05:54 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]Does anybody remember in 2006 when the Denver RB fumbled the ball our  10 yard line which gave us the win at the very end of the game ?

I don't.

I remember the game last year.  I remember the manning game up in Denver.

I remember the two yard Timmy game.

Even the Monday night Brian Griese game of 1999.

But not the one to which you refer.
(08-20-2020, 09:06 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-20-2020, 05:54 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]Does anybody remember in 2006 when the Denver RB fumbled the ball our  10 yard line which gave us the win at the very end of the game ?

I don't.

I don't either. We didn't even play Denver that year. Perhaps he didn’t get the year right. 2006 was the year we were 8-5, then lost the last three to miss the playoffs. I remember Garrard throwing pick sixes like crazy. It probably wasn't as bad as I remember, but I remember it killing us in those last few games.
(08-21-2020, 04:20 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-20-2020, 09:06 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]I don't.

I don't either. We didn't even play Denver that year. Perhaps he didn’t get the year right. 2006 was the year we were 8-5, then lost the last three to miss the playoffs. I remember Garrard throwing pick sixes like crazy. It probably wasn't as bad as I remember, but I remember it killing us in those last few games.

I remember the fumble game. Denver could have won with a field goal but they were trying to spot the ball in a good position, handed it off and the RB fumbled. Jags recovered, we won 7-6. I had to look it up to remember all the circumstances.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/game?gameId=240919030
(08-21-2020, 04:40 PM)hb1148 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-21-2020, 04:20 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't either. We didn't even play Denver that year. Perhaps he didn’t get the year right. 2006 was the year we were 8-5, then lost the last three to miss the playoffs. I remember Garrard throwing pick sixes like crazy. It probably wasn't as bad as I remember, but I remember it killing us in those last few games.

I remember the fumble game. Denver could have won with a field goal but they were trying to spot the ball in a good position, handed it off and the RB fumbled. Jags recovered, we won 7-6. I had to look it up to remember all the circumstances.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/game?gameId=240919030

Ah, so 2004. Weird, I still don't really remember that one.
As I watch this playoff win against the Steelers, the talent on the defense was incredible. Most of the starters were either in their prime or close to it. How did a this defense not win them a Super Bowl?

Campbell
Darius
Ngakwe
Fowler
Telvin
Jack
Poz
Ramsey
Bouye
Gipson
Jackson

Granted, their offense was mediocre, especially without AROB, but I doubt we'll ever see a more talented defense than the 2017 Jaguars. Those 2 big wins at Pittsburgh have to rank in the top 5 of most enjoyable Jaguar victories.
Imagine the 2017 team with Minshew at QB
I figured since they are broadcasting the 2017 playoff win vs. the Steelers, why not revisit some of the best memories from the board around that time.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/stee...1801140212
(08-21-2020, 09:10 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: [ -> ]As I watch this playoff win against the Steelers, the talent on the defense was incredible. Most of the starters were either in their prime or close to it. How did a this defense not win them a Super Bowl?

Campbell
Darius
Ngakwe
Fowler
Telvin
Jack
Poz
Ramsey
Bouye
Gipson
Jackson

Granted, their offense was mediocre, especially without AROB, but I doubt we'll ever see a more talented defense than the 2017 Jaguars. Those 2 big wins at Pittsburgh have to rank in the top 5 of most enjoyable Jaguar victories.

Yea I'm re-watching that game as well and that was instantly my first thought as I watched. That team was completely stacked with talent on Defense.

The refs screwing us against the Pats (Myles Jack wasn't down), as well as the coaching staff playing scared on Offense at the end of the 1st half and the 2nd half. 

I definitely think we would have beat the Eagles in the SB, but that's just my opinion on something we'll never know. We should of had the chance to find out though  Wallbash crap [BLEEP] refs..
(08-21-2020, 09:10 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: [ -> ]As I watch this playoff win against the Steelers, the talent on the defense was incredible. Most of the starters were either in their prime or close to it. How did a this defense not win them a Super Bowl?

Campbell
Darius
Ngakwe
Fowler
Telvin
Jack
Poz
Ramsey
Bouye
Gipson
Jackson

For one thing, they weren't given the time together.

They were only together a year-two tops-before they started losing main contributors.

Let's start with the defensive line.

Dante Fowler was drafted in 2015 and blew out a knee 30 minutes into his first rookie minicamp.  You could make the argument he didn't fully recover from the ACL until 2017.  By 2018, he was traded.  Malik Jackson was acquired in 2016.  He was gone by 2019.  Campbell and Dareus were acquired in 2017.  By this year's draft, both were gone.  Ngakoue is the only DL still around from that group.  He was drafted in 2016, and he has wanted to leave since last year.  To say the least, his continued presence on this roster throughout this season is an iffy proposition at best.

At LB, Poz retired after that 2017 season.  Telvin Smith "retired" after 2018.  Of the LB trio, only Jack remains on the team.

The ridiculous and largely unnecessary turnover on defense continued in the secondary.  Gipson was here three years from 2016-2018.  Church was obtained in 2017 and was gone by midseason 2018.  We all know Ramsey's story, and like Campbell, Bouye was jettisoned before this year's draft.

So if you used 2017 as the starting point, you can see how quickly depleted this unit was.

2018:  Lost Poz, Fowler, Church
2019:  Lost Gipson, Telvin Smith, Malik Jackson, and Jalen Ramsey.  

That's SEVEN (7) of the eleven players you listed off the roster within 2 seasons of that 2017 season.  Keep in mind Dareus sidelined for most of last year due to injury.  Counting him, that's eight.

Only two players are left from that 2017 unit-Jack and Ngakoue.

That is the main reason-but not the only reason-that defense did not reach the Super Bowl.
(08-22-2020, 04:43 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]

Campbell
Darius
Ngakwe
Fowler
Telvin
Jack
Poz
Ramsey
Bouye
Gipson
Jackson

For one thing, they weren't given the time together.

They were only together a year-two tops-before they started losing main contributors.

Let's start with the defensive line.

Dante Fowler was drafted in 2015 and blew out a knee 30 minutes into his first rookie minicamp.  You could make the argument he didn't fully recover from the ACL until 2017.  By 2018, he was traded.  Malik Jackson was acquired in 2016.  He was gone by 2019.  Campbell and Dareus were acquired in 2017.  By this year's draft, both were gone.  Ngakoue is the only DL still around from that group.  He was drafted in 2016, and he has wanted to leave since last year.  To say the least, his continued presence on this roster throughout this season is an iffy proposition at best.

At LB, Poz retired after that 2017 season.  Telvin Smith "retired" after 2018.  Of the LB trio, only Jack remains on the team.

The ridiculous and largely unnecessary turnover on defense continued in the secondary.  Gipson was here three years from 2016-2018.  Church was obtained in 2017 and was gone by midseason 2018.  We all know Ramsey's story, and like Campbell, Bouye was jettisoned before this year's draft.

So if you used 2017 as the starting point, you can see how quickly depleted this unit was.

2018:  Lost Poz, Fowler, Church
2019:  Lost Gipson, Telvin Smith, Malik Jackson, and Jalen Ramsey.  

That's SEVEN (7) of the eleven players you listed off the roster within 2 seasons of that 2017 season.  Keep in mind Dareus sidelined for most of last year due to injury.  Counting him, that's eight.

Only two players are left from that 2017 unit-Jack and Ngakoue.

That is the main reason-but not the only reason-that defense did not reach the Super Bowl.
All of your points are valid. I was just referring to the fact that the 2017 defense had an amazing amount of talent and it was a shame that they didn't win the Super Bowl that year. Yes, they did get robbed on the infamous Myles Jack play. However, as you said, the offense got way too conservative with the lead and you can't do that against a team like New England, especially on the road. 

On another note regarding this game, Blake Bortles really stepped up when it was needed. He had a great knack for knowing when to take off with the ball and make key plays. He threw the "ugliest" passes I've ever seen and committed way too many turnovers, but I'll always appreciate his toughness.
Pages: 1 2