Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The good, the bad, and the ugly: Jags 2020
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Here we are, one week away from the start of the regular season, and it seems like a good point to assess where this franchise stands right now. (Although, with the rate the Jags are making headlines this week this will probably all be obsolete by the time our first game arrives).

The Good: (and I understand most people are not remotely interested in hearing the good right now)

- The future could be bright. Obviously, this depends on how the FO handles things (which is a big doubt)... but we are in a position where we have some good young talent on the roster, and we are loaded with draft picks for next year. This is a key moment in Jags history, a legitimate opportunity to turn things around. We are entering a season where the young players on our roster are going to get a chance to shine, and we will have an opportunity to add to them via our massive draft capital and salary cap room next year. If managed right, there is huge potential for a team to be built correctly that can challenge for a long time to come.
- The offense could be better than expected this year. Maybe I'm being a fool, but a big part of me does believe that our offense will surprise people this year. In all the craziness of this offseason, I honestly don't see how our offense is going to be worse than it was last year. The o-line should benefit from renewed health and continuity, the QB who went .500 last year has more experience, the WRs are the best position group on the team, Eifert and James O should be reliable options at TE... and I personally believe that RB is not going to be a huge downgrade with no Lenny... he just doesn't fit the offense, and I like the potential of our young guys to fill his shoes. I'm not claiming we are gonna be a top 10 offense, but I do think that a lot of people are expecting a disaster on offense, and it won't be anything of the sort, barring key injuries.

The Bad:

- 6-10 seems like an optimistic prediction right now. Even with the offense being better than expected, this team as a whole is woefully short of top talent. And the talent that it does have is very young. Put all that together and it rarely, if ever, leads to success. I envision something similar to the 2015 season when Bortles threw 35 TDs, we had impressive young players at WR, and the team still went 5-11.
- The defense could be horrible. We lack talent at almost every position on this defense. Especially in the secondary. And where we do have talent, they are mostly first or second year players. I am confident in saying that we are going to struggle massively on defense this year.

The Ugly:

- Players seem to hate the idea of the Jaguars. I don't know what the hell has happened to this team in the last 3 years, but we are in a position where it seems like our own players want out, and other players across the league are looking down on us. It truly is embarassing to be so damn close to making a superbowl in 2017, to being the laughing stock of the league in 2020. This needs to change.
- There is no way that Doug and Dave still deserve to be shaping the future of this team. Now this is a bit of a tricky point for me, because, unlike most on here, I actually agree with almost all of the moves that have been made this offseason. I'm delighted they have put this team in a position where they are set up for the future, and I never believed we would be close to competing for a superbowl even if we had kept Calais, Yannick, Lenny, etc. But Caldwell and Marrone should have gone at the end of last year. All their talk about trying to change the culture is for nothing because, whether it was their fault or not (thanks Tom), they were still part of the former culture that has poisoned this team, and the results for both speak for themselves. They shouldn't be given the opportunity to fix something that they have to take some of the blame for creating.

Ultimately, I believe we will finish somewhere around 5 wins this season. I think several good players for the future to build around will emerge. I also think more problems with the Jags' "culture" will come to light. I think this will be enough for Doug and Dave to both be sent packing. A new coach and GM pairing will have a wonderful opportunity to shape this team to truly be competitive for a long time. I hope they make good decisions.
What happened to the team is a laundry list of "full [BLEEP]" moments. Here are just a few.

-Khan sucks as a franchise owner and all it entails.
-Craptastic draft picks.
-Mentally unstable adult men influencing other players (Telvin Smith, Yannick N, the crybaby who went to the Rams whose name escapes me, etc.)
-Trading Calais Campbell, the most responsible and respected player on defense, if not the team.
-TOM COUGHLIN
-The inertia that seems to have settled in the FO that even Minshew and his Mania can do nothing to change. There seems to be no urgency. Nothing. Just business as usual and business has been backsliding since we lost to the Pats.
(09-04-2020, 12:20 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]What happened to the team is a laundry list of "full [BLEEP]" moments. Here are just a few.

-Craptastic draft picks.
-Mentally unstable adult men influencing other players (Telvin Smith, Yannick N, the crybaby who went to the Rams whose name escapes me, etc.)
-Trading Calais Campbell, the most responsible and respected player on defense, if not the team.
-TOM COUGHLIN
-The inertia that seems to have settled in the FO that even Minshew and his Mania can do nothing to change. There seems to be no urgency. Nothing. Just business as usual and business has been backsliding since we lost to the Pats.

I think you need to step back and take a breath.
(09-04-2020, 12:30 AM)JagJohn Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-04-2020, 12:20 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]What happened to the team is a laundry list of "full [BLEEP]" moments. Here are just a few.

-Craptastic draft picks.
-TOM COUGHLIN

I think you need to step back and take a breath.

Why? Is what I said not true? All of these things have happened to bring the team to its knees. We have active players congratulating recently traded players for getting out. 

Publicly

Insubordinate (Fournette), criminal (T. Smith), blatant liar (Ramsey), disrespectful- all of them, and others I'm sure. Tell me these things are not a factor along with everything else I listed above.
The Good:
Caldwell and Marrone will surely be out after this year.  Right?  Right?!
Minshew will get a year to prove himself before we annoint him the next Tom Brady.
Our Cap position is probably good?

The Bad:
Covid 19 uncertainty
We're going to really suck this year.

The Ugly:
Tony Khan will probably be our next GM
Jay Gruden will probably be our next HC
Shad Khan has no idea how to run a professional football team.

-Craptastic draft picks.
-TOM COUGHLIN

This is what you get when you get fans who support all that crap.

"Mr. Khan is a great owner, he is a genius, he knows what he is doing"
Making all kind of stupid excuses for a garbage GM
Overrating players who have done nothing
The list goes on and on and on

The sad part is the clown show will continue in 2021.
(09-04-2020, 12:41 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-04-2020, 12:30 AM)JagJohn Wrote: [ -> ]I think you need to step back and take a breath.

Why? Is what I said not true? All of these things have happened to bring the team to its knees. We have active players congratulating recently traded players for getting out. 

Publicly

Insubordinate (Fournette), criminal (T. Smith), blatant liar (Ramsey), disrespectful- all of them, and others I'm sure. Tell me these things are not a factor along with everything else I listed above.

Of course they are mostly valid reasons, it's embarrassing as hell to be a jags fan right now... I think you can see that from my original post.

But I'm just confused about what people expected from this season... Did anybody expect us to be good this year? I've been saying repeatedly, since the end of last season, that we had zero chance of being a good team this year... Therefore, I think it's better that we set up to make our team as good as it can be in the future. And that is what happened. Honestly I was worried that the team would take the opposite approach and try to reload this team for one more run that was doomed to fail. Instead, we have a really bright future ahead of us... In theory.

I feel your frustration, but I came to terms with our fate for this season a long time ago.
It is apparently true that a couple of our players wanted to leave- Ramsey and Ngakoue.

But what I am wondering about is, is it true that in general any of our remaining players want to leave? Is it really true that our players in general don't want to be here?
(09-04-2020, 05:35 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]It is apparently true that a couple of our players wanted to leave- Ramsey and Ngakoue.

But what I am wondering about is, is it true that in general any of our remaining players want to leave? Is it really true that our players in general don't want to be here?

This. No one has watched them scrimmage, we have not played a game, yet folks are dedicating words upon words to declare this team a bust and are somehow interpreting a mutiny by the players from a couple of vague social media posts. Chill, people. Can we at least give them the benefit of the doubt before condemning everyone who works at the stadium?
People are frustrated and angry and disappointed, rightfully so. But a few winning seasons will completely transform the outlook. The Saints were a joke for 20 years before they turned into perennial playoff contenders. Our turn is going to come around eventually. Just hoping it doesn't take 20 more years. lol
(09-04-2020, 06:10 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-04-2020, 05:35 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]It is apparently true that a couple of our players wanted to leave- Ramsey and Ngakoue.  

But what I am wondering about is, is it true that in general any of our remaining players want to leave?  Is it really true that our players in general don't want to be here?

This. No one has watched them scrimmage, we have not played a game, yet folks are dedicating words upon words to declare this team a bust and are somehow interpreting a mutiny by the players from a couple of vague social media posts. Chill, people. Can we at least give them the benefit of the doubt before condemning everyone who works at the stadium?
The benefit of the doubt?! Hahahaha

Based on what? The previous 10 years?
Maybe its just me but im more excited about this team than most. As long as Minshew is on this team and the oline plays good we are good and we will win more games than most think
(09-04-2020, 08:03 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-04-2020, 06:10 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]This. No one has watched them scrimmage, we have not played a game, yet folks are dedicating words upon words to declare this team a bust and are somehow interpreting a mutiny by the players from a couple of vague social media posts. Chill, people. Can we at least give them the benefit of the doubt before condemning everyone who works at the stadium?
The benefit of the doubt?! Hahahaha

Based on what? The previous 10 years?

Every year is a new year. Especially this year with exciting offensive prospects and so much movement in the roster. Were you as down on them prior to the 2017 season?

(09-04-2020, 10:19 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe its just me but im more excited about this team than most.  As long as Minshew is on this team and the oline plays good we are good and we will win more games than most think

Me too.
(09-04-2020, 05:35 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]It is apparently true that a couple of our players wanted to leave- Ramsey and Ngakoue.  

But what I am wondering about is, is it true that in general any of our remaining players want to leave?  Is it really true that our players in general don't want to be here?

But let's be honest here

Both are idiots
Both felt "disrespected" when this team offered less money than what they expected (one could argue that Yawn learned from Ramsey)
I am sure that Ramsey would have been a problem sooner or later anyway, especially if we'd continue to lose
I think Yawn would behave but he didn't earn the money he wanted

You really want those guys in the locker room?
Funny the same person drafted those 2 guys

One hilarious thing (and probably people will deny it) is Fowler would have stayed and he wouldn't have been a problem, I bet he continues to have better seasons than Yawn.
The good: we have massive amounts of draft capital and cap space to spend next year, offense might be good/exciting.

The bad: the HC and DC are still among the worst in the league in their respective roles. The team is very young and that rarely if ever leads to good play or even disciplined play. Defense severely lacking

The ugly: the GM who is among the worst in the NFL will still be here next offseason to waste all of those precious assets in his 2nd rebuild this decade
The Good:

1. All of the bad locker-room players are gone. This team will have no drama every week as it has the past couple of seasons.

2. All the cap room they will have going forwards to go along with 11 draft picks (two 1sts and two 2nd's) next season.

3. This team is not totally devoid of talent. Josh Allen, Jawaan Taylor and D.J. Chark are capable of being in several pro-bowls.

4. Hope. Without this, there would be no Jaguars' fans left. We can hope that the young players like Shennault, Chaissen, Henderson and Hamilton eventually become very good with experience. We can hope that Cam Robinson stays healthy and earns a new contract. Finally, we can hope that Gardner Minshew continues to develop into a top 10 q.b.and if he doesn't we can hope for Trevor Lawrence.

The Bad:

1. This team will be lucky to win 4 games. Having a new offensive coordinator, 12 rookies and no running backs to keep the defense honest spells Trouble!

2. Calling Dave Caldwell "bad" is the understatement of the year. He is the primary person responsible for this team's abysmal record since he was hired.

3. Shad Khan has been a bad owner. He promised to get rid of the coach and general manager if last season wasn't much better. So much for that!

The Ugly:

1. Our defense will be very ugly this season. The secondary may be the worst in team history, especially early on when Henderson will be learning "on the job."

2. Our national reputation as a "laughing stock" franchise  will peak this season. It pains me to say that this is deserved when one looks at what has happened to this team since the loss to the Patriots just a few years ago.
(09-03-2020, 11:00 PM)JagJohn Wrote: [ -> ]Ultimately, I believe we will finish somewhere around 5 wins this season. I think several good players for the future to build around will emerge. I also think more problems with the Jags' "culture" will come to light. I think this will be enough for Doug and Dave to both be sent packing. A new coach and GM pairing will have a wonderful opportunity to shape this team to truly be competitive for a long time. I hope they make good decisions.

The Jags "culture".  That does seem to be a major problem... for SEVERAL years.  This needs to be addressed at the end of the season if there is no dramatic improvement here.  Clean House.
Armstead now on the Covid list
(09-04-2020, 11:07 AM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]The good: we have massive amounts of draft capital and cap space to spend next year, offense might be good/exciting.

The bad: the HC and DC are still among the worst in the league in their respective roles. The team is very young and that rarely if ever leads to good play or even disciplined play. Defense severely lacking

The ugly: the GM who is among the worst in the NFL will still be here next offseason to waste all of those precious assets in his 2nd rebuild this decade

preach it
(09-04-2020, 06:10 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]

Do you not understand common sense?

1. We let a lot of veterans go without suitable replacements

2.  It's an entirely new offense with no preseason to tune.

3. Rookies are playing key roles right away. That is almost never good

4.  The same lackluster offensive line is returning.   Robinson is not a good LT, Norwell has been a disaster, No real answer at the other guard spot, Tight end is paper thin.

5. Defensive Line is full of back ups and rookies. 

If you think this team is going to be competitive, you should really lower your expectations.  I do like Minshew but looking at what he has to work with does not spell success.
Pages: 1 2 3 4