Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Brian Sexton does not beleive Minshew is the QB of the Jags Future.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I like Sexton but disagree with him in this aspect.  It's around 10:20 in the video

its a damn shame, if this were 2017 and all we needed was a QB, Minshew would be the perfect fit.

But since we are at the bottom of the league and we don't have a lot of talent, Minshew has so much to prove. Which is unfair, he did so well his rookie season, better than any other rookie. He's gonna have to put this team on his back and he still might not keep his job. My greatest fear is we trade him and he becomes a superbowl winner with the steelers or saints
I don't know if he is or not, but I'm gonna give him a chance to prove it this season.
Brian Sexton is a stone cold idiot. He has been wrong on 99% of his takes while somehow being a stooge for the organization, and selling it out at the same time.
A rare blend of selling out all the way around.
If Minshew is a franchise QB, then the Jags will be set for the future.  If he isn't, the team will be in position to draft Trevor.  Either way is a win.
I like how he says teams "had to stack the box" against 27 last year..... no, they chose to idiot. Against 7, opponents went 4-0 with that philosophy. Against 15 they went 6-6.
They're not setting up for success, that's for sure. He needs to works his [BLEEP] off and prove these guys wrong, and the Jags need to surround him with the tools and support him.

We're getting 1st, 2nd round pick caliber performance from Minshew
Who cares about what Sexton has to say lol.
(09-07-2020, 08:57 PM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]Who cares about what Sexton has to say lol.

This x 100 !!!!
As a player and as a personality, Minshew is a ton of fun to watch. In many ways, he seems the perfect QB for this market.

Scrappy, fun loving underdog...err cat.

Were he still alive and in his youth, Burt Reynolds could play him in some comedic biopic.

I believe Minshew has already beaten the odds about his level of performance under the circumstances last year. Lord knows the team and the fans want him to be the franchise guy. and end this team's nightmare at the position.

But those facts alone don't necessarily make him the franchise QB.

Though he would disagree after reading this, I don't knock him with that analysis.

I think his ceiling is that of a good, perhaps really good QB. Brunell was in that range. if Minshew's career wound up in that range, he will have had a helluva career. Minshew could reach that if they give him the requisite help. As I think of a head to head comparison, Brunell had better mobility (though Minshew is no statue) and a stronger arm.

But I do not see his ceiling in the "great" range. What's more, if the Jaguars' brass do not produce a winning season, and if it spirals negatively early, nobody else they might bring in from outside of the organization is going to believe in him to the point they would willingly hitch their wagon to him when they have the chance to draft a Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields. They will want their own guy. They aren't going to put their faith in someone else's 6th rounder that couldn't save the incumbents' jobs.
(09-07-2020, 11:12 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]As a player and as a personality, Minshew is a ton of fun to watch.  In many ways, he seems the perfect QB for this market.

Were he still alive and in his youth, Burt Reynolds could play him in some comedic biopic.

I believe Minshew has already beaten the odds about his level of performance under the circumstances last year.  Lord knows the team and the fans want him to be the franchise guy. and end this team's nightmare at the position.

Though he would disagree after  reading this, I don't knock him with that analysis.

I think his ceiling is that of a good, perhaps really good QB.  Brunell was in that range.  if Minshew's career wound up in that range, he will have had a helluva career.  Minshew could reach that if they give him the requisite help.  As I think of a head to head comparison, Brunell had better mobility (though Minshew is no statue) and a stronger arm.

But I do not see his ceiling in the "great" range.  What's more, if the Jaguars' brass do not produce a winning season, and if it spirals negatively early, nobody else they might bring in from outside of the organization is going to believe in him to the point they would willingly hitch their wagon to him when they have the chance to draft a Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields.  They will want their own guy.  They aren't going to put their faith in someone else's 6th rounder that couldn't save the incumbents' jobs.

Don’t disagree with most of what you said, but I’d take Minshew over Brunell. Minshew uses his mobility to buy time for an open receiver. That’s what I prefer. Mark was an early Cam Newton type and tore his ACL.... I never felt like Brunell recovered from that. 

Minshew has put in a ton of work this off season. It will be interesting watching him this season. Don’t be too surprised if you get pleasantly surprised.
Sexton also said Jax didn't deserve an NFL franchise.

Dude's a bot.
(09-08-2020, 07:35 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: [ -> ]Sexton also said Jax didn't deserve an NFL franchise.

Dude's a bot.

Really.  I don't remember that.  When did he say that?
The Minshew in December was pretty bad. Evaluating his talent in this Front Office Tank Year will at least make for some some decent watching on Sundays.
(09-08-2020, 08:33 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]The Minshew in December was pretty bad.   Evaluating his talent in this Front Office Tank Year will at least make for some some decent watching on Sundays.

He did compared with how he was playing earlier in the year. That could be attributed to losing his most productive TE, an injury to Chark and defensive coordinator's getting some tape on him. The good news is he seemed to adjust and was ticking back up by the time the season ended. He didn't play great but he played really well for a rookie. We keep losing track of that. He played at least as well as the other rookie QBs that people have penciled in as long time starters. Let's see what he can do this year.
Time to prime the pump and justify this bad franchise. We are being setup for everyone coming back next year and the franchise staying a constant rebuild. We will probably do okay enough this year to have to expend draft capital to get the "franchise" QB. Thus continuing the cycle of build, build and rebuild.

I've been looking for an up arrow on this teams potential for like a decade now. 2017 felt okay during the year but the up and down and odd circumstances was a major red flag to not rest on that success. I liked Sexton enough in the early days but his time has passed. Going to be a watch year and I hope the best for Minshew.

(09-08-2020, 08:43 AM)hb1148 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-08-2020, 08:33 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]The Minshew in December was pretty bad.   Evaluating his talent in this Front Office Tank Year will at least make for some some decent watching on Sundays.

He did compared with how he was playing earlier in the year. That could be attributed to losing his most productive TE, an injury to Chark and defensive coordinator's getting some tape on him. The good news is he seemed to adjust and was ticking back up by the time the season ended. He didn't play great but he played really well for a rookie. We keep losing track of that. He played at least as well as the other rookie QBs that people have penciled in as long time starters. Let's see what he can do this year.

Don't forget that the coaches absolutely tanked him by re-inserting Foles.  Ugh this team.
I wonder if he would consider Kyler Murray a franchise QB? Because Minshew had a better season than him overall.
(09-08-2020, 08:57 AM)Dimson Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder if he would consider Kyler Murray a franchise QB? Because Minshew had a better season than him overall.

I only watched Kyler play 1 game last year and he was pretty bad.  Going to be interesting to see what these Oklahoma QBs can do in the NFL.  Landry Jones, their all time leading passer totally sucks and Baker Mayfield is erratic.
(09-08-2020, 01:37 AM)Corriewf Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-07-2020, 11:12 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]As a player and as a personality, Minshew is a ton of fun to watch.  In many ways, he seems the perfect QB for this market.

I believe Minshew has already beaten the odds about his level of performance under the circumstances last year.  Lord knows the team and the fans want him to be the franchise guy. and end this team's nightmare at the position.

Though he would disagree after  reading this, I don't knock him with that analysis.

I think his ceiling is that of a good, perhaps really good QB.  Brunell was in that range.  if Minshew's career wound up in that range, he will have had a helluva career.  Minshew could reach that if they give him the requisite help.  As I think of a head to head comparison, Brunell had better mobility (though Minshew is no statue) and a stronger arm.

But I do not see his ceiling in the "great" range.  What's more, if the Jaguars' brass do not produce a winning season, and if it spirals negatively early, nobody else they might bring in from outside of the organization is going to believe in him to the point they would willingly hitch their wagon to him when they have the chance to draft a Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields.  They will want their own guy.  They aren't going to put their faith in someone else's 6th rounder that couldn't save the incumbents' jobs.

Don’t disagree with most of what you said, but I’d take Minshew over Brunell. Minshew uses his mobility to buy time for an open receiver. That’s what I prefer. Mark was an early Cam Newton type and tore his ACL.... I never felt like Brunell recovered from that. 

Minshew has put in a ton of work this off season. It will be interesting watching him this season. Don’t be too surprised if you get pleasantly surprised.

I don’t mean this in a rude way bc every fan has their own right to an opinion but Minshew ain’t on the same planet as Brunell. I know you didn’t say he was and I agree that Brunell wasn’t the same QB after that Preseason game up in New York but he led this franchise to 4 straight playoffs and took us to the AFC Championship game twice in a 4 year span. 

Who knows what would have happen in 1999 if the music city miracle was called correctly. We probably would have smashed the Bills and put up a dog fight against the Rams.

In 1996 we were 4-7 and ended up beating Buffalo and Denver when the entire world expected us to get blown off the field.

Brunell has some of the NFL’s best all time throws and he has been apart of so many iconic plays like that day Jimmy went for 291. The fade to glory. The scramble in Denver. The leap over a DB in Foxboro. The game he came back from an ACL in week 3 and beat Pittsburgh. McCardell had 18 catches vs the Rams but bc  Brunell was throwing darts. Without Brunell there’s no Jimmy or Keenan. Both had pedestrian numbers prior to Brunell throwing them the ball. 

At one point he owned the Ravens. He was and is the best QB this city has ever had to date. 

2 Pro Bowls
In 1996 he led the league in passing 
In 1996 he led all QBs in rushing 

Brunell’s arm strength gets way over looked. And he almost took Favre’s job but GB didn’t want to cause a controversy at QB. 

He also won the MVP in the Pro Bowl. He was compared to Hall Of Fame QB Steve Young early in his career. 

If you compare McNabb and Brunell through their first 8 seasons they are neck and neck. 

Mark has a very strong arm and could make all the throws and we always had a chance to beat anybody when he was on his game. 

I am just as a huge Minshew fan as the next guy but there’s no way I would take Minshew over Brunell at this point. Some fans were the same way with Bortles. Let me know when Minshew takes us to a few playoffs and 2 AFC Title games and a couple of Pro Bowls later.

I respect your opinion but I just wanted to add mine as well.
(09-08-2020, 09:19 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-08-2020, 01:37 AM)Corriewf Wrote: [ -> ]Don’t disagree with most of what you said, but I’d take Minshew over Brunell. Minshew uses his mobility to buy time for an open receiver. That’s what I prefer. Mark was an early Cam Newton type and tore his ACL.... I never felt like Brunell recovered from that. 

I don’t mean this in a rude way bc every fan has their own right to an opinion but Minshew ain’t on the same planet as Brunell. I know you didn’t say he was and I agree that Brunell wasn’t the same QB after that Preseason game up in New York but he led this franchise to 4 straight playoffs and took us to the AFC Championship game twice in a 4 year span. 

Who knows what would have happen in 1999 if the music city miracle was called correctly. We probably would have smashed the Bills and put up a dog fight against the Rams.

In 1996 we were 4-7 and ended up beating Buffalo and Denver when the entire world expected us to get blown off the field.

Brunell has some of the NFL’s best all time throws and he has been apart of so many iconic plays like that day Jimmy went for 291. The fade to glory. The scramble in Denver. The leap over a DB in Foxboro. The game he came back from an ACL in week 3 and beat Pittsburgh. McCardell had 18 catches vs the Rams but bc  Brunell was throwing darts. Without Brunell there’s no Jimmy or Keenan. Both had pedestrian numbers prior to Brunell throwing them the ball. 

At one point he owned the Ravens. He was and is the best QB this city has ever had to date. 

2 Pro Bowls
In 1996 he led the league in passing 
In 1996 he led all QBs in rushing 

Brunell’s arm strength gets way over looked. And he almost took Favre’s job but GB didn’t want to cause a controversy at QB. 

He also won the MVP in the Pro Bowl. He was compared to Hall Of Fame QB Steve Young early in his career. 

If you compare McNabb and Brunell through their first 8 seasons they are neck and neck. 

Mark has a very strong arm and could make all the throws and we always had a chance to beat anybody when he was on his game. 

I am just as a huge Minshew fan as the next guy but there’s no way I would take Minshew over Brunell at this point. Some fans were the same way with Bortles. Let me know when Minshew takes us to a few playoffs and 2 AFC Title games and a couple of Pro Bowls later.

I respect your opinion but I just wanted to add mine as well.

Easy kid, Brunell was already a vet when he got here.
Pages: 1 2 3 4