Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Impressions from the Texans Game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Sorry I have missed the last couple of games with this post.  That said, there is enough to enrage me in this game for me to need a catharsis!  My thoughts....

1.  At this point, I don't care what it takes, but Sidney Jones needs to be a starter, especially if it comes at the expense of Claybrooks.  I remember having a dialogue with a couple of you and we were talking about Sidney Jones and how excited we were to pick him up.  Today's performance ny Jones exemplifies why we were so excited.  He had an INT, and broke up 3 other passes, including one that led to what should have been a key INT and 47 yard return.  In fact, it's the best performance by a DB all year, including Henderson's week one gem.  In contrast, I am trying not to be so hard on a lowly drafted rookie, I really am.  But he has found ways to screw up in the running game with his horrific run defense against Cincinnati, his horrific pass defense, es exemplified by the first play of the game by Houston, and even on Special teams, where he managed to muff two kickoff returns.   Yes, he had a breakup of a pass in the 4th quarter, but then he was beaten on that 4th down and missed the tackle completely.  At this point, I feel the laws of averages simply caught up with him on tht pass break up.  I can't recall having this much antipathy towards a Jaguars rookie since R Jay Soward in 2000.  Get Claybrooks off the field, and get Sidney Jones more playing time...PLEASE!!!

2.  I didn't see any of the plays that got our kickers injured.  What the hell happened to our guys?!?  How did Lambo hurt his hip?  Was it against Tenn?  What in the hell happend to the other two guys to replace him?!?  Is anything happening in practice where kickers are getting involved in the action?!?  Hauschka has been around a long time.  Why can't he make two makeable kicks in a controlled environment?  Missing a 24 yard and 49 yard kick is unfathomable and is the sort of thing that can ruin a season.

3.  When I first saw Minshew go in motion to the left, I thought it was Shanault about to get the snap.  Somehow I think that might have been a better choice, but the BEST choice would have been to play it straight and not get cute.  I would have liked to see the outcome had Robinson not fumbled, but just play it straight.

4.  I thought the defense played surprisingly well overall, especially without the top three players in Allen, Jack, and Henderson.  But the lapses were killer, especially that first TD to Fells.  Egads!  What the hell were the backers thinking?!?  Can we have one game where we don't give up a HUGE freaking gain to a TE?  Those days were done for a while, or so it seemed?  Now?!?!?  Shaking  my head in dismay.

5.   Here we were lauding the offensive line.  While not a horrific game, it was disappointing.  Started out like gangbusters in the running game and didn't give up many sacks or pressures.  But Taylor got called for his first penalty of the year (according to the announcers anyway) Robinson was beat for a sack on an inside counter move (had him blocked initially) and later had the false start. On top of that the running game bogged down after that start.  Still not a bad performance given our history against Houston, but a step down below what we've been getting thus far.

6.  Aside from the Hauschka disasters, I thought special teams had a decent gain.  (So, Mrs. Lincoln, aside from what happened to your husband, how did you enjoy the play?)  Cole had a nice return and Logan had a good punt inside the Houston ten.

7.  Rookie Watch:

A.  CJ Henderson-DNP
B.  K'Lavonn Chaisson-Had one pressure on a roll out, but otherwise has no impact.
C.  LaViska Shenault-Made some nice plays, including one where he caught a pass short of the first downand broke a tackle and converted to a first down.  Somehow we need to get him the ball more.  We may need to if Chark is hurt.

E.  Devon Hamilton-saw him play, but didn't stand out much.

F.  Josiah Scott-Did not see him listed among inactives.  Not sure if he got much playing time.  If he did, he did not stand out to me.

G.  Daniel Thomas-Seemed to get extensive playing time given the injuries.  Did not stand out positively or negatively.

H.  Collin Johnson-had two catches, one for his first (?) TD of his career/

I.  Shaquille Quarterman-Saw him play but he did not stand out.

J.  Jake uton-DNP

K.  Chris Claybrooks-I think I've said enough about him for now.

8.  Was not overly impressed with Minshew today.  Thought he checked down quite a bit early.  Missed Cole on some makeable throws late.  Had a pick and fumbled the ball.

9.  Hope Chark is okay.  Can't have him miss more time.  However, Keelan Cole had a good game.  Nice to see him rebound.

10.  Bottom line-If this team is to have any hope of turning the season around, Claybrook must be banished to the bench, and the defense must produce more game turning plays.  But without any sort of pass rish, I don't see it happening.
L.  James Robinson-As referenced above, started off well, but was shut down later.  Wondered if he got winded.
Game isnt even over yet brotha.

1. Agree.

Minshew is just a guy... a back up.... not a franchise QB... its confirmed. That is my take. DAMNIT ...
Defense was god awful again in the second half. I don't care if we were missing pieces, they played well the first half, zero adjustments. Four straight games allowing 30+ is unacceptable

Offensive play calling was bad today. And has been bad since week 1.
On a positive note, the defense is on pace to allow the most points in Jaguars history. Another record-breaking season.
The Jaguars should have their own sponsored headline:

“Winless Teams Love This ONE WEIRD TRICK”.
(10-11-2020, 03:54 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: [ -> ]Game isnt even over yet brotha.

1. Agree.

Minshew is just a guy... a back up.... not a franchise QB... its confirmed. That is my take. DAMNIT ...

Accidental submit.  Missed the rookie watch, etc.
My impression after seeing the slaughter by houston.....wash and the bologna man need to go ...
Please do what the owner of the 'horns did and fire them no later than tomorrow.
Minshew had no picks.

On those late two throws cole had to come back on the 3rd down and.4th down he has to go that throw it wasn't a bad thrown call.

The Playcalling was atrocious on offence. So many bad calls just make you go [BLEEP].

I get the 2 missed FGs. But to throw 5 yards behind the line on 3rd and goal then to proceed with a wildcat with Robinson.

Terrible.
Rough game Bullseye. Not much positive to take from that.

Agree on the 4th and 1 call, why why why?! Just get the yard. Those are the beating yourself mistakes that drive me nuts.

Thought Shenault looked good, he seems to be getting more involved each week which is what you would expect.

I know the D were missing the 3 best players and they battled but the TD's we gave up were poor and some big yards.

Minshew had a rough day. He was 8 for 8 on that TD drive and we had the ball for 7 minutes. Think that's what O may have been trying to do, dink and dunk, long drives, keep the D off the field.

And we cant get Lambo back quick enough
Kicking aside I think the first half was decent. The second was disastrous.

This feels just like after the Bengals game. Btw, not impressed at all by Watson. Against the Jags I expect more.
(10-11-2020, 04:05 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-11-2020, 03:54 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: [ -> ]Game isnt even over yet brotha.

1. Agree.

Accidental submit.  Missed the rookie watch, etc.

CLASSIC BULLS! Haha, only kidding. Never seen you submit early.
Positives:

1. Sidney Jones

2. LaViska Shennault

3. Smoot seemed to play well.
My biggest impression is that this should be the game that nails the stake in the heart of the Minshew franchise QB dreams. He left so many throws on the field that a franchise QB makes with ease. He had shown a play here and there each game where his lack of arm talent was holding us back in the past, but every shortcoming was on display all at once this game.

Unless everything is perfect and he can go through his full throwing motion with his feet under him and proper weight transfer he just doesn't have nearly a good enough arm to make the throws he needs to make.
(10-11-2020, 05:14 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]My biggest impression is that this should be the game that nails the stake in the heart of the Minshew franchise QB dreams. He left so many throws on the field that a franchise QB makes with ease. He had shown a play here and there each game where his lack of arm talent was holding us back in the past, but every shortcoming was on display all at once this game.

Unless everything is perfect and he can go through his full throwing motion with his feet under him and proper weight transfer he just doesn't have nearly a good enough arm to make the throws he needs to make.

Honest question, do you want to continue to spend draft capital hoping you can find the needle in a haystack QB that doesn’t need any help from his teammates to be great, doesn’t need more than .03 seconds of protection to make throw and can do it all on the run every time? 

Or would it be better to say what we have is pretty good given the right tools, let’s use our draft capital to give him the tools to be successful?
(10-11-2020, 05:18 PM)CSTblank Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-11-2020, 05:14 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]My biggest impression is that this should be the game that nails the stake in the heart of the Minshew franchise QB dreams. He left so many throws on the field that a franchise QB makes with ease. He had shown a play here and there each game where his lack of arm talent was holding us back in the past, but every shortcoming was on display all at once this game.

Honest question, do you want to continue to spend draft capital hoping you can find the needle in a haystack QB that doesn’t need any help from his teammates to be great, doesn’t need more than .03 seconds of protection to make throw and can do it all on the run every time? 

Or would it be better to say what we have is pretty good given the right tools, let’s use our draft capital to give him the tools to be successful?

I'm not forcing a pick at QB just because. But if I'm on the clock and a QB that I've graded as having franchise QB traits I'm taking him regardless of how the rest of the roster looks. Without hesitation. We have loads more picks and we have loads of cap space. We can draft a franchise QB prospect and fill in a lot of the holes at the same time.
(10-11-2020, 05:18 PM)CSTblank Wrote: [ -> ]

Good point, why take Mahomes when you just need a little bit more to get over the hump with Bortles, right? Sick
(10-11-2020, 05:32 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-11-2020, 05:18 PM)CSTblank Wrote: [ -> ]Honest question, do you want to continue to spend draft capital hoping you can find the needle in a haystack QB that doesn’t need any help from his teammates to be great, doesn’t need more than .03 seconds of protection to make throw and can do it all on the run every time? 

Good point, why take Mahomes when you just need a little bit more to get over the hump with Bortles, right? Sick

That's like saying Patrick Mahomes is available to you in the draft, but we already have David Garrard or Case Keenum, so we will pick a D-lineman instead.   Laughing
If a QB is there, you take him. It’s not quite time to give up on Minshew, but if the packers drafted Rodgers and had Favre. We certainly can draft a QB

But guess what? We have Caldwell. If he’s not fired at the end of the year you know we’re not drafting a QB.
Honestly I don't care who you draft the result will be the same. We have been asking for a TE that can split the defense for years now and have yet to obtain one. We have been drafting to fill holes for over 15 years as well and have rarely had a year to year performance where you could rely on that phase of the game.

What is the key to beating QBs in the NFL? Pressure and moving them off their spots. Yes Minshew is being exposed but it is the dumb plays and bad play that is being exposed right along with him. What the heck do any of you think Mahomes would be doing with this team right now? I give you that we would have more points but he isn't bringing Andy Reid with him. If we are on a clock and the top rated QB is at your spot, take him. We could of should of done that with Big Ben and Mahomes and heck even Jackson. Although I believe Lamar Jackson would have got crushed being on our team.

We really need a change in most things.
When you play the two worst run defenses in the NFL in back to back weeks and you call over twice as many pass plays than run, not even breaking 20 rushing attempts in either game, you have a coordinator issue.

Gruden is hamstringing this offense.
Pages: 1 2