Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: We Picked a Bad Year to Tank
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Unfortunately, we have picked a bad year to be worse than awful. Why is this? Because we have a lot of company. In general, there seems to be an in ordinate amount of awful teams this year. Even the Falcons are winless. We have some draft picks to move up possibly, but the odds are still long of landing the top pick in the draft. What do we do if we end up picking 5th in the draft instead of 1-2? I would definitely clean house, and I assume most of you would agree. However, the real question is, do you trade the farm to try to move into the top two, or do you take the draft as it comes to you?
(10-12-2020, 03:30 PM)Newton Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunately, we have picked a bad year to be worse than awful. Why is this? Because we have a lot of company. In general, there seems to be an in ordinate amount of awful teams this year. Even the Falcons are winless. We have some draft picks to move up possibly, but the odds are still long of landing the top pick in the draft. What do we do if we end up picking 5th in the draft instead of 1-2? I would definitely clean house, and I assume most of you would agree. However, the real question is, do you trade the farm to try to move into the top two, or do you take the draft as it comes to you?

We can’t trade the farm with as many holes we have. You pick BAP because at this point you need BAP at every position.
(10-12-2020, 03:38 PM)Corriewf Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-12-2020, 03:30 PM)Newton Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunately, we have picked a bad year to be worse than awful. Why is this? Because we have a lot of company. In general, there seems to be an in ordinate amount of awful teams this year. Even the Falcons are winless. We have some draft picks to move up possibly, but the odds are still long of landing the top pick in the draft. What do we do if we end up picking 5th in the draft instead of 1-2? I would definitely clean house, and I assume most of you would agree. However, the real question is, do you trade the farm to try to move into the top two, or do you take the draft as it comes to you?

We can’t trade the farm with as many holes we have. You pick BAP because at this point you need BAP at every position.
In that scenario, do we take a Qb in our first four picks? I would imagine we do, but also keep Minshew and continue to plug holes, particularly DT and corner.
If some fans will get drafting a QB off the membrane then it will become more clear. GM2 is our long term QB so we draft BAP every time we pick.

It's not tanking if you just plain suck.  But why would anyone expect anything else given the proven history of this front office and coaching staff?
Actually, I think we picked a good year to suck in a sense that we'd probably only have 20% representation in the stands anyway that are cheering for the Jags.
(10-12-2020, 03:38 PM)Corriewf Wrote: [ -> ]

Yeah, should be a year where the BAP and need crowds agree because what do we need? Everything.
(10-12-2020, 06:22 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-12-2020, 03:38 PM)Corriewf Wrote: [ -> ]We can’t trade the farm with as many holes we have. You pick BAP because at this point you need BAP at every position.

Yeah, should be a year where the BAP and need crowds agree because what do we need? Everything.

That's not really fair.  Dave Caldwell has built a solid foundation, we just need a QB, LT, LG, C, RG, TE, DE, DT, 2 Safeties and 2 CB's.
The Jags is currently #6 in the drafting order. I saw that with their loss yesterday the Vikings actually moved ahead of them. I do wonder how that ranking may change as the season progresses.

https://twitter.com/RVacchianoSNY/status...9551732738
Jets are gonna end up with Lawrence
(10-12-2020, 06:53 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: [ -> ]Jets are gonna end up with Lawrence

I was surprised they weren't #1 on this list, but they do factor in stuff like strength of schedule, which would help explain why they are a little lower. I do think that there will be some changes/shifts on this list as the season moves forward. For example, I think that the Chargers will end up having a lower pick. I think that Justin Herbert has been doing a nice job with them so far, and I could see him lead the team to some wins. They may end up moving out of the 10 draft picks range. I also think that the Bengals will make their way into the top 10. I could see them continuing to have a pretty rough season. That tie is keeping out of the top 10 right now, but I could see them making their way onto that list. 

I also wonder if teams like the Giants/Falcons stay towards the top if they will consider taking a QB with their pick. Washington may very well take one since they seemed to move on from Dwayne Haskins and seem a bit shaky at the QB position. Alex Smith did play the other day, though he has just gotten back from his gruesome injury. I'm not sure how things may end up shaking out for Washington's QB situation.
If you are Atlanta do you draft future QB replacement?
No need to worry. Absolutely do not trade up and waste valuable picks. In fact trade down if you can and it's worth it. our #1 picks have been ok but nothing special. We seem to do better in rounds 2-6, always have. (with a few notable exceptions)

5 games in 11 to go we are #6. I have confidence we will move up the standings...Wink
If we get Allen, Jack, and Henderson back I think we beat Det. with Sidney Jones and Wilson back. Hopefully the offense can get back on track
I think NYJ, NYG, WAS, and ATL could all draft a QB if they draft before us. I think ATL and WAS both finish ahead of us though. I'm predicting 3rd pick.

I'd wait and see how Fields does this season and how he looks during combine. If he looks good, we take him. If not, I'm all for drafting Penei Sewell. (No way Jets or whoever pass on TLAW, not do they trade the pick). It'll cost a fortune to move from 3/4 to 1st pick this year. I'm not willing to trade both our 1st's and more for it.

Another option is to trade back and draft Lance, who i'm not too high on.
(10-12-2020, 09:10 PM)High Octane Wrote: [ -> ]I think NYJ, NYG, WAS, and ATL could all draft a QB if they draft before us. I think ATL and WAS both finish ahead of us though. I'm predicting 3rd pick.

I'd wait and see how Fields does this season and how he looks during combine. If he looks good, we take him. If not, I'm all for drafting Penei Sewell. (No way Jets or whoever pass on TLAW, not do they trade the pick). It'll cost a fortune to move from 3/4 to 1st pick this year. I'm not willing to trade both our 1st's and more for it.

Wash and Atl will get more wins than us.
(10-12-2020, 09:12 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-12-2020, 09:10 PM)High Octane Wrote: [ -> ]I think NYJ, NYG, WAS, and ATL could all draft a QB if they draft before us. I think ATL and WAS both finish ahead of us though. I'm predicting 3rd pick.

Wash and Atl will get more wins than us.

I may have worded what I said wrong, or you're agreeing with me. Just to clarify:

I think the order will be: NYJ, NYG, JAX, WAS, ATL.
ATL is definitely taking a QB. So will WASH and NYJ. NYG won't because they'll give Daniel Jones at least 1 more year. DET would also take a QB if they draft before us.
(10-12-2020, 09:26 PM)High Octane Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-12-2020, 09:12 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: [ -> ]Wash and Atl will get more wins than us.

I may have worded what I said wrong, or you're agreeing with me. Just to clarify:

I think the order will be: NYJ, NYG, JAX, WAS, ATL.

Yeah, I agree.
(10-12-2020, 09:27 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: [ -> ]ATL is definitely taking a QB.  So will WASH and NYJ.  NYG won't because they'll give Daniel Jones at least 1 more year. DET would also take a QB if they draft before us.

If Giants pick 1st, they are taking Lawrence.  Whoever picks 1st is taking Lawrence.
Pages: 1 2 3