Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Trade Minshew to the Cowboys
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Andy Dalton has one of the most talented offenses in football sputtering.  Those guys could use some Minshew moxie and they know it. Plus Gardner would love to play on a team with more than one quality receiver.
What do you think the 'Boys might give up? A 2nd? A 3rd? Take it and see what Luton can do!
and we miss out on Lawrence, reach for another QB and miss yet again. Id rather keep Minshew. Sure hes struggled at times, but this team is pure garbage. Upgrade some of the roster with the picks we have and maybe Minshew can actually settle down and be the QB we need. If the QB we draft ends up being good, having Minshew as a backup is also nice. I don't see the point in trading him this year. Just too many unknowns.
I actually believe this would be a great trade for both sides. I think Minshew could be phenomenal there once their offensive line gets healthy again. Minshew reminds me a lot of Tony Romo. Jerry probably would trade a 3rd.

I also agree though that if the Jags just build around Minshew next season, he could be very special in Jacksonville
(10-28-2020, 05:42 AM)Hurricane Wrote: [ -> ]and we miss out on Lawrence, reach for another QB and miss yet again. Id rather keep Minshew. Sure hes struggled at times, but this team is pure garbage. Upgrade some of the roster with the picks we have and maybe Minshew can actually settle down and be the QB we need. If the QB we draft ends up being good, having Minshew as a backup is also nice. I don't see the point in trading him this year. Just too many unknowns.

I think we're going to miss out on Lawrence either way.
I doubt Luton would win more games than Minshew.
(10-28-2020, 06:31 AM)PS9 Wrote: [ -> ]I actually believe this would be a great trade for both sides. I think Minshew could be phenomenal there once their offensive line gets healthy again.  Minshew reminds me a lot of Tony Romo. Jerry probably would trade a 3rd.

I also agree though that if the Jags just build around Minshew next season, he could be very special in Jacksonville

I thought this would be a good idea at first too. And maybe it still might be in the long run. Though in the short run, I'm not sure how much Minshew could help them right now. And that's not because I doubt his talent or anything like that. It's because the Cowboys are really bad off, right now. They are almost as bad off as the Jags. Their O-line is in disarray (due to multiple injuries by starters). Their defense isn't very good (though I think they are probably better than Jacksonville's).  Their coach is getting a lot of criticism right now, though I think he's better than Doug Marrone.

I'm not sure how much of an impact Gardner would have on the Cowboys right now. If they were healthier and just needed a QB to step in for Dak (and Andy Dalton couldn't complete the season for some reason), I think that Gardner could do well there. As of now he could be dealing with a lot of the same team struggles he's dealing with in Jacksonville.

Plus, I do believe they care about Dak and will go back to him once he gets healthy again.

Though, the Jags could reach out to the Cowboys and see if they are interested. I do believe if Jerry were interested he would trade higher than Gardner's draft position. Maybe at least a fourth. Maybe even a third.
(10-28-2020, 05:42 AM)Hurricane Wrote: [ -> ]and we miss out on Lawrence, reach for another QB and miss yet again. Id rather keep Minshew. Sure hes struggled at times, but this team is pure garbage. Upgrade some of the roster with the picks we have and maybe Minshew can actually settle down and be the QB we need. If the QB we draft ends up being good, having Minshew as a backup is also nice. I don't see the point in trading him this year. Just too many unknowns.

I don't know that they trade Gardner before the trade deadline this year. But I do see them possibly trading him at some point. If they don't, and they draft a top QB he will leave the team when his rookie contract is up. I could see him wanting to try and start again for another team. He's not going to want to stay and be a backup for the Jags.

They may be better of trying to get something for Gardner while they can. His draft value is higher now, than if he's put on the bench for a couple of years. That's something they may need to think about, if they know they want to move on from him next year. (Or maybe even this year.)
(10-28-2020, 08:04 AM)mal234 Wrote: [ -> ]

I don't know that they trade Gardner before the trade deadline this year. But I do see them possibly trading him at some point. If they don't, and they draft a top QB he will leave the team when his rookie contract is up. I could see him wanting to try and start again for another team. He's not going to want to stay and be a backup for the Jags.

They may be better of trying to get something for Gardner while they can. His draft value is higher now, than if he's put on the bench for a couple of years. That's something they may need to think about, if they know they want to move on from him next year. (Or maybe even this year.)

I'm not a fan of throwing a rookie QB to the wolves and add to it how pathetic our team is. I feel like Minshew starting the first half or so of the season would be best for the team and our new QB to be able to sit back and learn a bit. By midseason there is usually a team or two looking for a QB or had an injury and needs a decent fill in or replacement. Thats a perfect time to unload Minshew. 

With all the holes in this team, i don't care who is behind center. Its going to be a very tall task to make this team playoff bound. Give the added rookies some time to gel and bring in the young QB when the time feels right. Sort of a situation like Miami is doing, but i think they are pulling Fitz a bit too soon.
The cowgirls are having a fire sale, they aren't acquiring players any more.
(10-28-2020, 08:04 AM)mal234 Wrote: [ -> ]

I'd say keep him.  Let him finish the season as our starter to get a full evaluation (not that I think it will get better).  Then keep him for the remaining 2 more years of his rookie deal as a back up with some game experience.  I think that course of action is more valuable than getting a 5th rounder for him.
(10-28-2020, 09:01 AM)Hurricane Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-28-2020, 08:04 AM)mal234 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know that they trade Gardner before the trade deadline this year. But I do see them possibly trading him at some point. If they don't, and they draft a top QB he will leave the team when his rookie contract is up. I could see him wanting to try and start again for another team. He's not going to want to stay and be a backup for the Jags.

I'm not a fan of throwing a rookie QB to the wolves and add to it how pathetic our team is. I feel like Minshew starting the first half or so of the season would be best for the team and our new QB to be able to sit back and learn a bit. By midseason there is usually a team or two looking for a QB or had an injury and needs a decent fill in or replacement. Thats a perfect time to unload Minshew. 

With all the holes in this team, i don't care who is behind center. Its going to be a very tall task to make this team playoff bound. Give the added rookies some time to gel and bring in the young QB when the time feels right. Sort of a situation like Miami is doing, but i think they are pulling Fitz a bit too soon.
If the Jags manage to actually draft Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields, I could see them starting pretty early on in the season. Maybe even right away. (Especially if the teams likes how they are looking in training camp). 

I think we will might not get a better idea of what's going on until after the season ends/the offseason begins. Then we will know exactly where the Jags are picking in the draft and see if Marrone and company are still around. If the Jags are picking #1 and Doug/Todd Walsh, etc... have been fired, I could see Gardner being traded in the offseason. I think whoever may take over for the Jags might want to trade him while his trade value is higher. (After he's possibly played a full season or most of a season, depending on what happens.) Statistically he is having a nice year, so maybe someone will feel they can build/on maximize that. Especially if he moves to a better run organization.

They could maybe do as you suggested and give a new young QB some time to develop/sit. And maybe try and unload Gardner by the trade deadline next season. I wouldn't be surprised though if he were traded earlier. And I do think there is a strong chance he will be traded at some point, before his rookie contract is up. It's just may be a matter of when. I think he may be traded earlier than later.

(10-28-2020, 09:41 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]The cowgirls are having a fire sale, they aren't acquiring players any more.

I saw that they are trying to get rid of more defensive players. Maybe they are resigning themselves to a really bad season and don't think they recover with all of their injuries. It's unfortunate for them because if they were healthier they could definitely win their division. I believe that seven wins would win it. Heck with the way teams are playing in that division, maybe six wins might win it, lol. Jason Whitlock stated in a recent article he thought that four or five wins, would win it, lol. He was exaggerating, but that is a bad division.

Another team that I could see Gardner possibly traded to is the New England Patriots. I mentioned this in the "Minshew Not the Man" thread. I could see them taking a chance on Gardner. And I think he could fit well with them. I could see Bill Belichick/Josh McDaniels really helping him. But I do think that the Patriots want to see how things play out with Cam first, who's been a bit shaky in his last two starts. To be fair to Cam, he is coming off dealing with Covid-19, so that may be why he's  been a bit shaky lately. He did look good earlier on this season with the Patriots. Maybe as his health recovers, he'll start playing better again. If not, maybe the Patriots do look at someone like Gardner in the offseason and they/the Jags might could make a move then.
(10-28-2020, 12:11 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]Andy Dalton has one of the most talented offenses in football sputtering.  Those guys could use some Minshew moxie and they know it. Plus Gardner would love to play on a team with more than one quality receiver.
What do you think the 'Boys might give up? A 2nd? A 3rd? Take it and see what Luton can do!

You think we are getting a 2nd or a 3rd for Minshew?!?!?!  My god dude.....
(10-28-2020, 10:04 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-28-2020, 12:11 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]Andy Dalton has one of the most talented offenses in football sputtering.  Those guys could use some Minshew moxie and they know it. Plus Gardner would love to play on a team with more than one quality receiver.

You think we are getting a 2nd or a 3rd for Minshew?!?!?!  My god dude.....

You may not like Minshew, and he’s really regressed a lot lately, but you don’t trade a young QB that’s shown a lot of potential for less than a 2nd/3rd. 

We got a 4th for Foles. We traded a 5th for Dobbs.
(10-28-2020, 10:51 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-28-2020, 10:04 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: [ -> ]You think we are getting a 2nd or a 3rd for Minshew?!?!?!  My god dude.....

You may not like Minshew, and he’s really regressed a lot lately, but you don’t trade a young QB that’s shown a lot of potential for less than a 2nd/3rd. 

We got a 4th for Foles. We traded a 5th for Dobbs.

That's my point.  NO ONE is giving us a 2nd or a 3rd for Minshew.  Foles is a former Super Bowl MVP with much more experience in the League and all we got for him was a 5th. No one is looking at Minshew as a long-term starter. If someone offered a 3rd... take it!  In a heartbeat.

[Image: giphy.gif]
The only way Minshew is traded this year is if another team calls and shows real interest. That said they most likely would not give more than a 5th if they wanted him real bad. At that point it is better to hang on to him. I am just glad we have a QB that doesn't throw the ball end over end.
(10-28-2020, 11:37 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: [ -> ]

[Image: giphy.gif]
I was thinking the same thing.  The way Minshew has been playing there is no way a team is offering a high draft pick for him.
The Cowboys would have no interest in Minshew.
WHY does everyone keep thinking a QB will change everything, whether it be Lawrence here or Minshew in Dallas? A crap team is a crap team. Tom Brady under center couldn't give the Jags a win.
Who would trade for Minshew?
Mike is the worst guy at reading the room.

Jerry Jones is in full tank mode.
Pages: 1 2