Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Question about SOS in regards to keeping the #1 pick
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I understand that if we and the Jets both lose out, we still keep the #1 pick. And I know the tiebreaker is due to the SOS schedule. But is that not ever changing? Meaning how is it guaranteed that it doesn't change if say for example a lot of our past opponents pick up more wins over the remaining two games and if the Jets past opponents pick up more losses? Doesn't that change the SOS schedule and could give the Jets a better remaining one in two weeks? How is it guaranteed I guess....what am I missing? I guess I just need more understanding of SOS all together.

Thanks! Happy Holidays to you all and your families!
Its not guaranteed yet. Just the odds are in our favor
I'd venture to say that it has to do more with the assumption that the comparison already takes into account our remaining opponents winning out vs the Jets remaining opponents winning out - and hashing out the details from our teams.
It's not guaranteed, but the Jags have a pretty significant advantage with the SOS so it's highly unlikely that would change with the 2 remaining games.
Curious if the NFL powers that be step in to work their magic to their desired outcome.
“Entering Week 15, the Jets (.592) had a higher SOS than the Jaguars (.536), meaning Jacksonville would have the inside track on potentially drafting Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence, the presumed top selection in next year's draft.”

I think if we lose out it should play itself out, but who knows, I’ve been let down so many times that I wouldn’t be shocked if we somehow lose out on the 1st pick.
FOX said the Jags get the #1 pick if both teams lose out

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
(12-20-2020, 10:23 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]Curious if the NFL powers that be step in to work their magic to their desired outcome.

I've been thinking about that, too.  If Khan and the NFL are, as some suspect, trying to kill off the Jags' fan base in order to justify a move to London or St Louis, they've overdone it to the point where it has backfired.  So what will they do to get TL away from us?  

Face it, until we draft a healthy Trevor Lawrence, we're going to have a lot to worry about.
If both teams lose out the math is on our side. We can't catch the Jets SOS no matter what at this point. We control our destiny here. So we'll finish 2-14.

#becausejaguars
(12-20-2020, 10:23 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]Curious if the NFL powers that be step in to work their magic to their desired outcome.

I find that highly dubious, but if they were, it would only be so Khan could get his team to contribute more to the league profit sharing plan. I'm sure NE, Dallas, Seattle and the rest of the contributors are getting a little tired of pulling all the financial weight.
(12-21-2020, 08:32 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]If both teams lose out the math is on our side. We can't catch the Jets SOS no matter what at this point. We control our destiny here. So we'll finish 2-14.

#becausejaguars

Sounds about right.  That’s why I’m not getting too excited aTM.  This team has a way of breaking the fans hearts.
(12-21-2020, 06:59 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]

I've been thinking about that, too.  If Khan and the NFL are, as some suspect, trying to kill off the Jags' fan base in order to justify a move to London or St Louis, they've overdone it to the point where it has backfired.  So what will they do to get TL away from us?  

Face it, until we draft a healthy Trevor Lawrence, we're going to have a lot to worry about.

How much does Shad have to put on his doorstep to convince him to sit out the CFP?

It would be just our flippin' luck, first time ever we have top pick, and the top prospect gets hurt in a stupid bowl game.

I like to make pessimism an artform.

I figure by Tuesday we'll hear the breaking news of a rash of positives in Chicago. By Friday, they'll be forced to forfeit.

/chugs bleach
(12-21-2020, 10:04 AM)Mikey Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-21-2020, 06:59 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]I've been thinking about that, too.  If Khan and the NFL are, as some suspect, trying to kill off the Jags' fan base in order to justify a move to London or St Louis, they've overdone it to the point where it has backfired.  So what will they do to get TL away from us?  

How much does Shad have to put on his doorstep to convince him to sit out the CFP?

It would be just our flippin' luck, first time ever we have top pick, and the top prospect gets hurt in a stupid bowl game.

I figure by Tuesday we'll hear the breaking news of a rash of positives in Chicago. By Friday, they'll be forced to forfeit.

/chugs bleach

But what if we forfeit first?

[Image: f00815c2e7b2e39cdf28ac0b2e1d516b.gif]
(12-21-2020, 10:04 AM)Mikey Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-21-2020, 06:59 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]I've been thinking about that, too.  If Khan and the NFL are, as some suspect, trying to kill off the Jags' fan base in order to justify a move to London or St Louis, they've overdone it to the point where it has backfired.  So what will they do to get TL away from us?  

/chugs bleach

NFL could try to convince Lawrence to stay in school. Probably least sketchy way.

Chicago is trying to make the playoffs. No way they will forfeit.
(12-21-2020, 10:20 AM)rpr52121 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-21-2020, 10:04 AM)Mikey Wrote: [ -> ]How much does Shad have to put on his doorstep to convince him to sit out the CFP?

/chugs bleach

NFL could try to convince Lawrence to stay in school. Probably least sketchy way.

Convince him with what exactly?
(12-21-2020, 10:29 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-21-2020, 10:20 AM)rpr52121 Wrote: [ -> ]NFL could try to convince Lawrence to stay in school. Probably least sketchy way.

Convince him with what exactly?

Kind words?
(12-21-2020, 11:11 AM)Geen Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-21-2020, 10:29 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]Convince him with what exactly?

Kind words?

"Ok, here is the deal Trevor. We would like you to stay in college another year to avoid the team that will likely be picking first again next year. Don't worry though. If you get injured, you can cash in on that insurance policy you have in place that will pay you 1/1000th of what you would have earned in the NFL".
(12-21-2020, 11:15 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-21-2020, 11:11 AM)Geen Wrote: [ -> ]Kind words?

"Ok, here is the deal Trevor. We would like you to stay in college another year to avoid the team that will likely be picking first again next year. Don't worry though. If you get injured, you can cash in on that insurance policy you have in place that will pay you 1/1000th of what you would have earned in the NFL".

Who wouldn't take that deal????
(12-21-2020, 06:59 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]

This.

There are several necessary  steps in order to make Lawrence coming here a reality.

1.  The Jaguars must lose the two remaining games on the schedule.
2.  We have to hire a GM with a functioning brain who knows Lawrence is the best prospect to come out in years
3.  We need the right coach with the right philosophy.
4.  Lawrence must make it through this postseason healthy.
5.  Lawrence has to declare himself eligible for the 2021 draft
6.  Lawrence has to want to play here.

The league can directly affect the chances of 1 happening.  Within that, the league can't somehow concoct some sort of ruling affecting the Jaguars draft position.

Still lots of moving parts.
Pages: 1 2