Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: So skeptical yet so excited.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So it seems it's a foregone conclusion that we will be drafting Trevor Lawrence 1st overall and it's extremely exciting anytime you draft a QB in the NFL but ofcourse it's even more exciting knowing you have your choice, and on top of all that he has been called a "generational talent". But I have to say, from what i've seen of him (which has been probably 80-90% of his throws @ Clemson nothing has screamed "generational talent" if anything watching his college plays I feel more like I'm watching a less talented Justin Herbert. So I guess the real point of this thread is this, I want to ask our fans your real opinions of Trevor Lawrence. How much of his game tape have you watched, what do you really feel knowing this is going to potentially be our QB for the foreseable future. Please, try your best to give your most honest take on what you've seen and try to forget what the media has told you.

Personally, I see give/take Justin Herbert (which based off his rookie year, i'd be more than happy with). But I have to say, i'm extremely confused how TLaw is considered generational, whilst Herbert wasn't. I truely feel both extreme excitement right now but it's coupled with a lot of skpeticism. So I guess i'm looking to see what others see in order to calm my own nerves lol.
My opinion (and I have only seen two of his games and some high lights of others) is that no, most likely not a generational talent like the all time greats.

"Generational talent" is a fairly new term though so maybe it depends on how you define it. I think he will be very good when he gets some experience, possibly on a Andrew Luck or Ben Rothlisberger level. I'd say better than a 95% chance he's the franchise QB we've been waiting for.
(01-07-2021, 06:13 AM)hb1148 Wrote: [ -> ]My opinion (and I have only seen two of his games and some high lights of others) is that no, most likely not a generational talent like the all time greats.

"Generational talent" is a fairly new term though so maybe it depends on how you define it. I think he will be very good when he gets some experience, possibly on a Andrew Luck or Ben Rothlisberger level. I'd say better than a 95% chance he's the franchise QB we've been waiting for.

So the QB starts 36 games in College... You admit you only seen 2 of those 36 starts and formed your opinion off of those 2 games... Hilarious  Laughing
(01-07-2021, 06:13 AM)hb1148 Wrote: [ -> ]My opinion (and I have only seen two of his games and some high lights of others) is that no, most likely not a generational talent like the all time greats.

Would be 2 Hall of Famers if Luck didn't just randomly retire. I'd take a HOF QB.
(01-07-2021, 08:26 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: [ -> ]

Would be 2 Hall of Famers if Luck didn't just randomly retire. I'd take a HOF QB.

To be fair, Luck didn't randomly retire. He had been battling debilitating injuries for a couple of years beforehand. It finally became so bad that it took all the fun out of the game for him.

"Generational talent" is an overused, media buzz-phrase that really is meaningless.  In theory, it would refer to a once in a generation individual, but Brady is 43, Brees is 41 and Manning is 44 so.......

Will he be great?  Maybe, maybe not, but you can win a championship without a great QB.  I think Lawrence will be very good and become the QB of the Jags future for the next 10-15 years.  Build a solid team around him and we can become a perennial contender.
(01-07-2021, 07:13 AM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]

So the QB starts 36 games in College... You admit you only seen 2 of those 36 starts and formed your opinion off of those 2 games... Hilarious  Laughing

Even more hilarious are wannabe junior GMs who pretend to have broken down game tape of every snap of every college NFL prospect. Sure you have.

I will admit that it's possible that the only time he showed any reasons for criticism was when I happened to be watching and that he flawless when I wasn't. But we both know that's pretty unlikely.

Yeah agreed. I think he's a sure fire probowler. A little early to be talking HOF, lol. Somehow "not a generational talent" has been interpreted to mean "hot garbage". Jaguar fan <sigh>.
Wasn't Fournette supposed to be a generational RB? Not expecting TL to be generational......but I am hopeful for the first time in a while.
(01-07-2021, 09:53 AM)burt1jason Wrote: [ -> ]Wasn't Fournette supposed to be a generational RB?  Not expecting TL to be generational......but I am hopeful for the first time in a while.

no
Interestingly enough, I went back and looked at Manning's 4 losses to Florida only to discover he had 4 ints in one game, 2 in another, and also had an abysmal final bowl game (21 of 31 for 134 yards and 1 int)
versus Nebraska.

What i'm getting to is the fact that Peyton had many subpar games in college but may be the 2nd best QB in the history of the NFL. Trevor has that "it" factor and is not going to be perfect in every game.
I see him as the most pro-ready of the top prospects. I don't think anyone is a day one, instant HOF caliber player. Having three years on the field as the starter at Clemson is very valuable experience. He will still have a learning curve to adapt to in the NFL. It's ok to be skeptical. Dang near every QB is one hit away from completely altering their career trajectory, no matter how generational a talent they may be.

If we take him, I will cheer him on and hope he does well for many, many years here in Jax. If we take someone else, I will cheer him on and hope he does well for many, many years here in Jax.

Regardless of how talented whatever QB we take may be, all is lost unless we build a winning team around him.
I'm pretty sure the pundits are calling TLaw a generational talent because he's supposedly the most "can't miss" QB in the draft.. I swear that some of them get paid per buzz word..

Does that mean he's going to be the best QB since sliced bread? We won't know for some years to come.. But is he supposed to be the safest to draft for a team who needs QB? Yes..

And I'm fully expecting a major drop in all of Trevor's buzz once he's drafted by The Jags.. Pundits love their bigger markets..

When they said Luck was a "generational talent" and I watched his game tape from college, from an untrained eye test alone I could see why they said that. With TL I don't. Which is why i'm skeptical, but I am excited regardless. Wish the hype wasn't so high tho, seems uneducated.
(01-07-2021, 04:17 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]So it seems it's a foregone conclusion that we will be drafting Trevor Lawrence 1st overall and it's extremely exciting anytime you draft a QB in the NFL but ofcourse it's even more exciting knowing you have your choice, and on top of all that he has been called a "generational talent". But I have to say, from what i've seen of him (which has been probably 80-90% of his throws @ Clemson nothing has screamed "generational talent" if anything watching his college plays I feel more like I'm watching a less talented Justin Herbert. So I guess the real point of this thread is this, I want to ask our fans your real opinions of Trevor Lawrence. How much of his game tape have you watched, what do you really feel knowing this is going to potentially be our QB for the foreseable future. Please, try your best to give your most honest take on what you've seen and try to forget what the media has told you.

Personally, I see give/take Justin Herbert (which based off his rookie year, i'd be more than happy with). But I have to say, i'm extremely confused how TLaw is considered generational, whilst Herbert wasn't. I truely feel both extreme excitement right now but it's coupled with a lot of skpeticism. So I guess i'm looking to see what others see in order to calm my own nerves lol.

I think what T Law brings to the table isn’t so much insane natural talent.. it’s more along the lines of a guy that has the perfect build and work ethic to become an elite NFL QB. The kid has good vision, good accuracy, he’s sharp, and he’s 6’6. He’s also durable. The right coach can make this kid great. That’s what it’s going to boil down to.

Yeah, most people on the internet don't need that much film to judge someone.
Its certainly ok to question how his transition to the pros will go.

I dont think theres any questions on his talent. I don't think Clemson even scratched the surface of this dude's talent similar to Deshaun.

PS: Am I the only one excited to see Lawrence and Mishew in the same QB room. Sunshine and The Stache should be a jaguars.com media series

Yeah, how crappy it would be if we drafted a HOF QB.....

I don't think people realize saying "Luck or Ben level" is literally saying "one of the best QBs in the last 20 years"
(01-07-2021, 11:29 AM)jagshype Wrote: [ -> ]Its certainly ok to question how his transition to the pros will go.

I dont think theres any questions on his talent. I don't think Clemson even scratched the surface of this dude's talent similar to Deshaun.

PS: Am I the only one excited to see Lawrence and Mishew in the same QB room. Sunshine and The Stache should be a jaguars.com media series

No, I do not want Minshew on the team with Lawrence.  Two reasons:

1) I don't think Minshew has given up his dream of being a starter.  What we need is a veteran backup who knows his role.  

2) Minshew plays an entirely different game than Lawrence.  What we need is a backup who plays the same style as Lawrence, so we don't have to change the playbook if Lawrence misses a game and the backup has to start.
(01-07-2021, 11:30 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-07-2021, 08:26 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: [ -> ]Would be 2 Hall of Famers if Luck didn't just randomly retire. I'd take a HOF QB.

Yeah, how crappy it would be if we drafted a HOF QB.....

I don't think people realize saying "Luck or Ben level" is literally saying "one of the best QBs in the last 20 years"

I don't think anybody would be upset with a "luck or ben level player". I think the question we have, or at least I have is where the hype is coming from exactly.
Only Jag fan would respond to someone saying a draft pick is going to be a potential probowler by asking why you think he'll suck.

Laughing
Pages: 1 2 3