Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Priority to build Offense > Defense
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
With the way the NFL has been transitioning, I think we need to focus on building our offense heavily this offseason - especially through the draft and FA. I'm not saying to neglect the defense but it's clear that when all things are equal with regards to offense vs defense, the offense prevails in this scoring league. Just watch Mahomes and Co in Kansas City or even with today's game with GB's #1 offense against the Rams #1 defense.

If the opposing team scores 35, we should score 36. Obviously take Trevor with the first pick, but I hope we direct our focus to offense early on in the draft and surround Trevor with dynamic players at all levels of the offense. Even with how good Chark and Shenault are, I'd like to go get a player like Olave with the 25th or 33rd pick in the draft and get a guy like Friermuth at TE with the other choice and target an OT all within the first three rounds. We can use FA to target an established O-lineman and a couple of players on defense who will be released due to salary cap issues of other teams.

Again, it all starts with Trevor at QB but we should focus on building a dynamic and explosive offense - especially with how Meyer said he wants to play fast and implement a creative offensive play style.

The future is bright and gone are the days of the games being out of reach if the opposition leads by 13 points.
I agree we need a better offense. But you said we need to build it especially through FA and draft. Is there any other ways?
(01-16-2021, 08:48 PM)Jags Wrote: [ -> ]I agree we need a better offense.  But you said we need to build it especially through FA and draft.  Is there any other ways?

No, I'm just saying we need to have our main focus and capital (high draft picks and FA $$$) primarily to bolster this offense with Trevor at the helm.

It's a scoring league and the rules really make it tough to play defense - so we might as well adapt to this. And what better year to do so when we have an outstanding amount of FA money, draft capital, upcoming talent and new coaches/playcalling.
(01-16-2021, 08:53 PM)enigma Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-16-2021, 08:48 PM)Jags Wrote: [ -> ]I agree we need a better offense.  But you said we need to build it especially through FA and draft.  Is there any other ways?

No, I'm just saying we need to have our main focus and capital (high draft picks and FA $$$) primarily to bolster this offense with Trevor at the helm.

It's a scoring league and the rules really make it tough to play defense - so we might as well adapt to this. And what better year to do so when we have an outstanding amount of FA money, draft capital, upcoming talent and new coaches/playcalling.
Ah.. I gotcha.  We definitely need to figure it out on offense.  It is an offensive league.  TL should be the building block.  I think between Robinson and some of our receivers we had a decent start.  Definitely need to bolster the line.  Hopefully that’ll be addressed.
Yet if you actually talk to people they think our offense is set except for TE. I've literally seen more than 50% of people say our WRs are fine as is, Robinson is a stud (that one is true), our IOL is set, we should give Robinson a mid level deal or franchise tag, and Taylor has been bad but deserves another chance.

It's laughable.
My opinion:

Build the offense as the priority.
Build a legitimate secondary on defense.

We can have a cheifs level offense and we aren't going anywhere with our 2020 defense.
After upgrading the oline defense should be number 1 priority imo.
(01-16-2021, 10:01 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]After upgrading the oline defense should be number 1 priority imo.

Yup protecting the franchise is priority number one.  The rest of the pieces you can accumulate later or through free agency.
With the 25th pick we need a new OLT.  Cam Robinson has been a huge disappointment and should be allowed to walk in FA.  But you can't simply neglect the defense or you're always going to be playing catch up football.  The best teams take a balanced approach.
The TE position for this team has been so under-utiliized over the past several years. I wonder, if we were to get Jonu Smith or Hunter Henry, and have an accurate QB and an OC that gets the TE the ball....

We just may have a offense that can move the ball on a regular basis.
One of the quickest ways to trash a rookie QB's career and development is to not protect him. The Jag's OTs have not been up to par this season from a pass protection standpoint. Robinson should not be brought back for the starting role, regardless of dollar amount to sign him. Returning from a knee injury was not the reason for poor play from him. Taylor didn't develop this season, and should have competition for the spot. Next, the DL needs to be addressed.
(01-16-2021, 10:01 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]After upgrading the oline defense should be number 1 priority imo.

Agreed 100%.

(01-17-2021, 12:04 AM)navyjagfan Wrote: [ -> ]With the 25th pick we need a new OLT.  Cam Robinson has been a huge disappointment and should be allowed to walk in FA.  But you can't simply neglect the defense or you're always going to be playing catch up football.  The best teams take a balanced approach.

We definitely need upgrades on the defense, but I think a change of scheme will help that along. Wash had us in soft zone coverage all the time. It was so vanilla.

(01-17-2021, 12:05 AM)Flagler Jagsfan Wrote: [ -> ]The TE position for this team has been so under-utiliized over the past several years. I wonder, if we were to get Jonu Smith or Hunter Henry, and have an accurate QB and an OC that gets the TE the ball....

We just may have a offense that can move the ball on a regular basis.

Jonnu Smith should be a priority free agent imo. He'd look great in teal and black. I think Henry might get franchised.
Priority should be getting a 2nd CB, a good Safety and figuring out if we gonna draft a new TE bring one in FA or hope that Josh Oliver turns into why we drafted him a few years ago. as far as the Offence i think with a real QB who can hit guys i think we can be very good with Chark, Laviska, Johnson, Cole and Conley if we retain him for Vetern leadership or get a WR in FA. but we definitely need to figure out our LT is it gonna be franchise Robinson or go after a FA. i am opposed to drafting a LT in the draft, i would rather have a vet protecting Lawrence in his rookie year. We are definitly going to need better play on the right side.

outside of 2 or 3 games our Oline was good the fact our QB kept running out of clean pockets was half the problem.
We obviously need plenty of defense help, but giving Tlaw everything he needs to succeed is priority 1, 2, and 3. We need both OTs upgraded, a WR1/2 so we can keep Viska in the slot, and of course he needs a reliable TE outlet.

Fortunately between all the extra draft picks and the cap space we should be able to do all of that and still get a safety, second corner, and one more IDL.
(01-17-2021, 12:14 AM)ATLjag Wrote: [ -> ]One of the quickest ways to trash a rookie QB's career and development is to not protect him.  The Jag's OTs have not been up to par this season from a pass protection standpoint.  Robinson should not be brought back for the starting role, regardless of dollar amount to sign him.  Returning from a knee injury was not the reason for poor play from him.  Taylor didn't develop this season, and should have competition for the spot.  Next, the DL needs to be addressed.

Agreed 100%. Protect TL and give him the chance to succeed.
It is obvious that this team needs help just about everywhere following a 1-15 season. However, my response to the offense vs. defensive argument would be the following:

Number 1 priority: Immediately evaluate the offensive line with the new coach at this position. Do they believe that Cam Robinson can become a very good left tackle with better coaching? This position is more important
than all the others since the left tackle will be protecting the blind side of our franchise's future savior fo hopefully many years.

Number 2 priority: Evaluate the rest of the offensive line. Meyer will likely be advised by Jimmy Johnson. One of the best things Johnson did was to develop a great offensive line (Erik Williams, Tuinei, Sepnoski, Newton
and Gogan) . Two of these guys were undrafted , two were 3rd rounders and one an 8th rounder. If the new staff only wants to keep 1 or 2 current starters, that's what should be done.

Number 3 priority: Meyer already indicated he wants his team to "play fast." I'd love to see them add someone like Rondale Moore to the receiving corps. If he is still on the board at pick 25, run up to the podium and
select Moore. If he's gone, consider Kadarius Toney in the 2nd round.

Number 4 priority: Pay Justin Simmons whatever it takes if he is available. He will immediately stabilize the young secondary. Re-signing Sidney Jones will also help greatly.
Here's a thought, just take the best players you can and stop thinking you can manufacture guys magically out of thin air.

If there's a few high quality defensive prospects and the offensive prospects available are all distinguishably lower quality than the defensive guys, just take from those defenders.

You never regret taking a great player, but there's been a lot of regret about passing on guys to reach for need around here.
(01-17-2021, 10:21 AM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]We obviously need plenty of defense help, but giving Tlaw everything he needs to succeed is priority 1, 2, and 3. We need both OTs upgraded, a WR1/2 so we can keep Viska in the slot, and of course he needs a reliable TE outlet.

Fortunately between all the extra draft picks and the cap space we should be able to do all of that and still get a safety, second corner, and one more IDL.

I really like this approach. I think we don't need to overthink this thing which is what you're suggesting here - Every pick should be thinking about supporting T.L. Imagine if we have a dynamic offense and our Defense is still leaky... i believe most fans would be okay with this. 

I would suggest we keep the focus on Offense and add a few pieces to our Defense that are obvious. Safety and CB come to mind immediately. Retaining S. Jones would be a good play too.
(01-17-2021, 02:31 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]Here's a thought, just take the best players you can and stop thinking you can manufacture guys magically out of thin air.

If there's a few high quality defensive prospects and the offensive prospects available are all distinguishably lower quality than the defensive guys, just take from those defenders.

You never regret taking a great player, but there's been a lot of regret about passing on guys to reach for need around here.
Agreed, we need to get the BPA and not reach for need.
(01-17-2021, 02:31 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]Here's a thought, just take the best players you can and stop thinking you can manufacture guys magically out of thin air.

And when you have two equally or near-equally rated players, one on offense and the other on defense, which way will you swing?

I am saying that we need to lean towards offense even in that scenario despite our team having more positional woes on the defensive side of the ball. We need to surround our franchise QB with multiple dynamic options at WR and TE - and make sure we keep him upright with the best blocking.

The defense can still be addressed through a couple FA acquisitions and from the multitude of draft picks we have. Ideally, you would expect draft picks selected in rounds 1-3 to have a solid to major impact and with us having 4 picks in the first two rounds of the draft, and the first selection being Trevor, I hope that we can lean on offense early on with the way the draft sets up.

We have plenty of things going for us this year whether it be: the number of draft picks we hold, the highest FA money available, the fact that there will be some tough decisions made by other teams to release a good player due to salary cap issues, and/or the implementation of a new coaching staff that will most likely be creative and allow us to play faster on offense.
Pages: 1 2 3