Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Change of Mindset?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Knowing we're getting Lawrence has definitely changed my mindset. For once in like 20 years, I'm hopeful that we can be good again.
It’ll be the first time in a long time to have the best QB on the field on any given Sunday be a Jaguar. My mindset has done a 180 from last off season. I was extremely pessimistic last year in the off season.

Typically when you go into Sunday’s with a disadvantage at the most critical position in all of sports, you’re going to lose a lot (and the Jags have).

I’m very intrigued by the writer bringing up Fuller. He adds something this team doesn’t have which is a true burner downfield. Depending on price tag, I kinda like it.
(03-02-2021, 02:56 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]It’ll be the first time in a long time to have the best QB on the field on any given Sunday be a Jaguar. My mindset has done a 180 from last off season. I was extremely pessimistic last year in the off season.

Typically when you go into Sunday’s with a disadvantage at the most critical position in  all of sports, you’re going to lose a lot (and the Jags have).

I’m very intrigued by the writer bringing up Fuller. He adds something this team doesn’t have which is a true burner downfield. Depending on price tag, I kinda like it.

I don't get it when people say we don't have a speed receiver? Chark is a true deep threat. He ran a blazing 4.34/40 at the Combine. He just hasn't had a QB that can get him the ball. Once we get Lawrence, I believe Chark will be a top 10 NFL receiver, maybe top 5.
It's definitely a change in mindset.
Having a rare prospect guaranteed to you to take over the QB spot will change any QB-needy team's approach to acquisitions.

I don't necessarily agree with the assertion that Jax has been some predominately defensive minded organization until now, but whatever.  Compared to some teams they were I guess.

I also have to continue harping on all of this focus on "weapons" and "targets."  I'd much rather focus on QB protection and THEN  focus on weapons/targets. Everyone knows and agrees we need to make a move at TE and I'm very much on board.  I just wouldn't place it ahead of upgrading protection. We've got the capital to do both. 

WR would be down the list for me as the article suggests.  Not a top priority. 
 If Trevor is what we think he is, he'll do great with better protection, an upgrade at TE, and a WR corps led by Shenault and Chark. Add a value pick and a mid tier signing maybe, but I'd not go big at WR in free agency or the draft, personally.
I'd rather them go after a top tier TE than WR in FA..
(03-02-2021, 03:05 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-02-2021, 02:56 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]It’ll be the first time in a long time to have the best QB on the field on any given Sunday be a Jaguar. My mindset has done a 180 from last off season. I was extremely pessimistic last year in the off season.

Typically when you go into Sunday’s with a disadvantage at the most critical position in  all of sports, you’re going to lose a lot (and the Jags have).

I don't get it when people say we don't have a speed receiver? Chark is a true deep threat. He ran a blazing 4.34/40 at the Combine. He just hasn't had a QB that can get him the ball. Once we get Lawrence, I believe Chark will be a top 10 NFL receiver, maybe top 5.
Chark can do just about everything. He’s like AJ Green. Chark will run just about every single route where as Fuller is more of a vertical dude.

Is more speed a bad thing?
Of course getting the best QB prospect in a decade changes your mindset.
(03-02-2021, 03:14 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: [ -> ]I'd rather them go after a top tier TE than WR in FA..

Agreed.

(03-02-2021, 03:24 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-02-2021, 03:05 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]I don't get it when people say we don't have a speed receiver? Chark is a true deep threat. He ran a blazing 4.34/40 at the Combine. He just hasn't had a QB that can get him the ball. Once we get Lawrence, I believe Chark will be a top 10 NFL receiver, maybe top 5.
Chark can do just about everything. He’s like AJ Green. Chark will run just about every single route where as Fuller is more of a vertical dude.

No, but if it's a choice between going for another speed receiver in free agency, versus a top tier Safety, TE, OT or D-Lineman, I'm placing speed receiver last on that list of priorities.
(03-02-2021, 03:39 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-02-2021, 03:14 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: [ -> ]I'd rather them go after a top tier TE than WR in FA..

Agreed.

(03-02-2021, 03:24 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]Chark can do just about everything. He’s like AJ Green. Chark will run just about every single route where as Fuller is more of a vertical dude.

No, but if it's a choice between going for another speed receiver in free agency, versus a top tier Safety, TE, OT or D-Lineman, I'm placing speed receiver last on that list of priorities.
Well you’re different than Urban. He already said he wants more speed.

And I’m not advocating for breaking the bank on Fuller. If the price is right, he should be a thought.

Chark Laviska and Colin are who the Jags will have next season. Dede, Cole and Conley are all likely gone. The WR room needs more help. Now I do think Colin will be better next season and so should Laviska but the room need more weapons. More playmakers is never a bad thing and Urban already said he wants more speed
(03-02-2021, 03:51 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-02-2021, 03:39 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]Agreed.

Well you’re different than Urban. He already said he wants more speed.

And I’m not advocating for breaking the bank on Fuller. If the price is right, he should be a thought.

Chark Laviska and Colin are who the Jags will have next season. Dede, Cole and Conley are all likely gone. The WR room needs more help. Now I do think Colin will be better next season and so should Laviska but the room need more weapons. More playmakers is never a bad thing and Urban already said he wants more speed

Fuller has plenty of speed, but he can't seem to stay healthy at all.

Seems like he was forever pulling a hammy in Houston.

I am a huge Chark fan, and was one of his advocates in 2018.  He can get deep and is plenty fast.

But as I recall, Meyer likes running those jet sweeps.  I'm not sure I want Chark running those jet sweeps.

Another speed guy certainly wouldn't hurt in the offense.
(03-02-2021, 04:00 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-02-2021, 03:51 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]Well you’re different than Urban. He already said he wants more speed.

Fuller has plenty of speed, but he can't seem to stay healthy at all.

Seems like he was forever pulling a hammy in Houston.

(03-02-2021, 03:05 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]I don't get it when people say we don't have a speed receiver? Chark is a true deep threat. He ran a blazing 4.34/40 at the Combine. He just hasn't had a QB that can get him the ball. Once we get Lawrence, I believe Chark will be a top 10 NFL receiver, maybe top 5.

I am a huge Chark fan, and was one of his advocates in 2018.  He can get deep and is plenty fast.

But as I recall, Meyer likes running those jet sweeps.  I'm not sure I want Chark running those jet sweeps.

Another speed guy certainly wouldn't hurt in the offense.
Oh absolutely. Last year he was finally healthy and then got hit with the suspension.

My first FA WR I would want is Samuel but Fuller may come at a discount. Injury history and the PED suspension will both hurt his value.
Bologna and Baskin-Robbins to Wagyu Beef and Cristal.

It's probably because he's been hurt, and when he's hurt the field can't be stretched. That's why more than one burner is needed I suppose.
Meh... I'm not sold on the rookie prospect.  Many get touted every season and just as many fail.

My mindset is to get the BAP either in free agency or the draft.
(03-02-2021, 07:43 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]Meh... I'm not sold on the rookie prospect.  Many get touted every season and just as many fail.

That's what we are doing drafting Trevor, taking the BAP lol
(03-02-2021, 07:43 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]Meh... I'm not sold on the rookie prospect.  Many get touted every season and just as many fail.

Get the best players? What a novel idea. You should try to be a GM.

"The rookie prospect?"

You referring to trevor Lawrence?

If you don't think he is BAP, who do you think is better?
When I finally see him on the field in an actual NFL game and doing what everyone thinks he can do is when I'll get excited. Recent NFL history has enough crash and burn players and we're the Jags. We're not allowed to have nice things, but I'm hopeful.
(03-03-2021, 01:44 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]When I finally see him on the field in an actual NFL game and doing what everyone thinks he can do is when I'll get excited. Recent NFL history has enough crash and burn players and we're the Jags. We're not allowed to have nice things, but I'm hopeful.

Same here. I also find myself wondering what the impact will be if he fails. As high as expectations are and with the investment people are making into the idea that he's going to be savior, if he somehow busts or even is just "average", the effect could be devastating to the franchise.  I'm as hopeful as anyone though. While there's no such thing as a sure thing, Lawrence is about as close as they come.
Pages: 1 2 3