Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Day 1 Grades from Various sources
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
These from the Sporting news

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news...x3t8h0lv7k

Trevor Lawrence:  A

Travis Etienne:  D

These from Pete Prisco CBS SPorts

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news...selection/

Trevor Lawrence:  A+

Travis Etienne:  C+

Draftkings

https://dknation.draftkings.com/2021/4/2...team-needs

Trevor Lawrence:  A+

Travis Etienne:  D

Draft wire/USA Today

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/lists/202...-analysis/

Trevor Lawrence:  A

Travis Etienne:  B-

Walter Football
https://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades.php

Trevor Lawrence:  A+

Travis Etienne:  F
Only thing that matters is what the team graded them and what we think. F everyone else lol.
What happened to Prisco the curmudgeon being an easy grader? That C+ was like his 4th worst grade and the worst were all merely Cs.
(04-30-2021, 01:11 AM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]What happened to Prisco the curmudgeon being an easy grader? That C+ was like his 4th worst grade and the worst were all merely Cs.

Looks like even he can't blow sunshine up the Jags' skirt on this one.
(04-30-2021, 01:11 AM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]What happened to Prisco the curmudgeon being an easy grader? That C+ was like his 4th worst grade and the worst were all merely Cs.

Prisco was one of the guys saying that we should draft Etienne at 25 and he still graded it a C+ LOL. You know it's a really bad pick when the guy saying it should happen still grades it that low lolol.
(04-30-2021, 02:26 AM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]

Prisco was one of the guys saying that we should draft Etienne at 25 and he still graded it a C+ LOL. You know it's a really bad pick when the guy saying it should happen still grades it that low lolol.

I dunno looks like he is yet another expert who hated the pick to me.

https://twitter.com/priscocbs/status/138...81312?s=21
These Jelly haters would have given Tampa Bay an A for the Etienne pick but ok lol
(04-30-2021, 02:38 AM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-30-2021, 02:26 AM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]Prisco was one of the guys saying that we should draft Etienne at 25 and he still graded it a C+ LOL. You know it's a really bad pick when the guy saying it should happen still grades it that low lolol.

I dunno looks like he is yet another expert who hated the pick to me.

I'd use the term "expert" very loosely, but there was one of the mock videos posted on here with him and somebody else and they both said that Etienne should be the pick.

Either way, it was a bad pick and we all know that (at least anybody with any sense). Drafting a RB at 25, when you just had rookie UDFA RB put up top 5 numbers, while missing two games on a trash [BLEEP] Offense is a bad look. There's no way around it. Good player, but a terrible pick for a team with gaping holes nearly everywhere besides at RB.

But it's not surprising considering Urban said he listened to Belichick when it comes to drafting (who's awful at it btw) and relies on the Al Davis motto of speed first.
(04-30-2021, 02:51 AM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-30-2021, 02:38 AM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]I dunno looks like he is yet another expert who hated the pick to me.

I'd use the term "expert" very loosely, but there was one of the mock videos posted on here with him and somebody else and they both said that Etienne should be the pick.

Either way, it was a bad pick and we all know that (at least anybody with any sense). Drafting a RB at 25, when you just had rookie UDFA RB put up top 5 numbers, while missing two games on a trash [BLEEP] Offense is a bad look. There's no way around it. Good player, but a terrible pick for a team with gaping holes nearly everywhere besides at RB.

But it's not surprising considering Urban said he listened to Belichick when it comes to drafting (who's awful at it btw) and relies on the Al Davis motto of speed first.

Yeah, let's not follow the pattern of two guys who have 11 Super Bowl rings between them. Cause that would really be stupid, considering how well we have done as a franchise so far.
(04-30-2021, 03:17 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-30-2021, 02:51 AM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]I'd use the term "expert" very loosely, but there was one of the mock videos posted on here with him and somebody else and they both said that Etienne should be the pick.

Yeah, let's not follow the pattern of two guys who have 11 Super Bowl rings between them.  Cause that would really be stupid, considering how well we have done as a franchise so far.

Davis was 40 years ago and Belichick hasn't did much of anything without Brady.. He was lucky enough to have Brady carry him, but as I said, he's a terrible drafter. Meyer said himself he bases a lot of what he's going to do in the draft, on what Belichick has told him. Which hasn't been good at all..
All the analysis on the pick say he’s a great player, drafted in the right part of the draft, they just don’t like the pick because it’s not a need.

That assumes that Robinson stays at the same level as last season
That assumes we’re running a conventional 1 back offence
That assumes Robinson doesn’t get injured
That assumes we were picking need over the BAP on our board.
That ignores the chemistry/comfort he has with Trevor

If Etienne performs like CMC in Carolina then it’s a great pick. The 3 players most people wanted are still there at 33. I personally wouldn’t have drafted him there, but I would have been fine with taking him at 33, so at the end of the day it’s a wash. He’s an exciting offensive weapon. I’m all for stacking the offence. If the offence puts up loads of points, the defence is going to be facing obvious passing situations a lot of the time.
You guys are funny. BAP but only if it’s a need ? We were 1-15...every position needed to be looked at with BAP.

So now we are grading the graders?   Laughing
Honest question to those who followed UM closely.

How often did he utilize his RBs out of the backfield as receivers at UF or OSU?

For that matter, how often did Bevell utilize backs as receivers in Seattle and Detroit?

While looking up clips of TL, I noticed he used Etienne quite a bit as a receiver. Nothing overly fancy...dumpoffs mostly.

Is utilizing RBs out of the backfield an integral part of UM's offensive approach, Bevell's offensive approach, or might it be something they are incororating from Clemson's offense to ease TL's transition to the pros?

If they place a heavy emphasis on utilizing RBs in the passing game, then perhaps the pick makes more sense.

Considering just about all of the players people were clamoring for at 25 are still on the board at 33 and I don't have the hostility towards taking a RB early that most of you have, I'm not as irritated by this pick as some of you. But it leads to some questions, though.

Knowing how much RBs are used in the passing game in this offense will answer many of them.
Well, if I needed the pick justifying to me, that WalterFootball grade does the trick. If he hates it, it's got to be good...
(04-30-2021, 03:31 AM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-30-2021, 03:17 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, let's not follow the pattern of two guys who have 11 Super Bowl rings between them.  Cause that would really be stupid, considering how well we have done as a franchise so far.

Davis was 40 years ago and Belichick hasn't did much of anything without Brady.. He was lucky enough to have Brady carry him, but as I said, he's a terrible drafter. Meyer said himself he bases a lot of what he's going to do in the draft, on what Belichick has told him. Which hasn't been good at all..

(Emphasis added)

Without delving too much into the overall effectiveness of belichick's draft strategy, this statement of yours made me curious.  So I went and researched Belichick's draft picks since 2000.  While he has drafted two RBs in the first round (Laurence maroney and Sony Michel), neither of whom are considered receiving backs or 3rd own backs the way UM described Etienne.  So while the Patriots under Belichick have utilized receiving backs over the years, they never drafted one high.  So I'm unsure if this particular draft strategy derives from Belichick's influence or not.
The player is very talented but it seems like an odd pick. What does this say about the staff's opinion of Robinson or for that matter, Hyde whom they just re-signed?
Our front office needs to get some big guys in the next round or I am going to be having visions of Trevor retiring like Luck. Seriously, why are we getting terrible value like Hyde and Ettienne. Why are we drafting backups in the first round? I need something different next or I will be getting Gene Smith vibes.
The Lawrence pick was a no brainer. The Etienne pick proved it.
I like the Etienne pick a lot. Although I thought he might be available at 33, when Najee Harris went off the board, there was a good chance Etienne would also go in the first round. We need more than one starting quality running back, and Carlos Hyde isn't it. Etienne is a very dynamic running back who can score on any play. In addition, he's a tried and true weapon for TL. I see him as another Christian McCaffrey.

I think it's a very good pick. Pre-draft, this was one of the players I wanted.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5