Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jags have been number 1 at draft efficiency in the 2nd round the past 20 years!s
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The issue is all the other rounds.  It shows how poor the Jags have drafted in every other round...

https://imgur.com/a/NXjrpdR#niexwql
(05-05-2021, 11:43 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]The issue is all the other rounds.  It shows how poor the Jags have drafted in every other round...

Fourth round seems to be our worst round based on the charts.
From the way I read it, we are number 1 in the 2nd round...
(05-06-2021, 12:24 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]From the way I read it, we are number 1 in the 2nd round...

My recollection from the Jaguars Message Board from the Shack/ Jack/ Paul Vance era was the overwhelming majority of Jaguars fans participating dreaded the teams 1st Round picks as the years went by and greatly appreciated the team's 2nd Round Picks. Off the top of my head, Rashean Mathis,  Daryl Smith, and MJD were three players the Jaguars drafted in the 2nd Round over a 4 year period. All three were amongst the best at their respective positions for a long time.
(05-06-2021, 12:55 AM)D6 Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-06-2021, 12:24 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]From the way I read it, we are number 1 in the 2nd round...

My recollection from the Jaguars Message Board from the Shack/ Jack/ Paul Vance era was the overwhelming majority of Jaguars fans participating dreaded the teams 1st Round picks as the years went by and greatly appreciated the team's 2nd Round Picks. Off the top of my head, Rashean Mathis,  Daryl Smith, and MJD were three players the Jaguars drafted in the 2nd Round over a 4 year period. All three were amongst the best at their respective positions for a long time.
Your correct. Add on Allen Robinson, DJ Chark, Myles Jack and you can see how we are so high there. First round being near dead last is also no surprise.
(05-05-2021, 11:43 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]The issue is all the other rounds.  It shows how poor the Jags have drafted in every other round...

Am I reading the chart incorrectly? Looks to me like the Jaguars are one of the worst first round teams, which fit with what my perception of their first round performance has been. Nothing but bad choices and need reaches.

Etienne continues in a long tradition around here of reaching for imagined need.
(05-06-2021, 06:12 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]

Am I reading the chart incorrectly? Looks to me like the Jaguars are one of the worst first round teams, which fit with what my perception of their first round performance has been. Nothing but bad choices and need reaches.

Etienne continues in a long tradition around here of reaching for imagined need.

TOO early to judge the ETN pick yet.
I've always said we should just trade all our draft picks for second rounders.

There's a real chance our round 2 domination continues this year, as well. Though I suspect we'll jump a bit with first round efficiency too for once.

Oh, and I wonder why the Patriots have such a lead in round 6... Big Grin

Bad in the first and good in the second has long been the story for the jags across multiple regimes and decades.

Etienne has nothing to do with need.
Meyer eschewed need and value to select a prospect he’d fallen in love with and tried to label it BAP.
(05-06-2021, 08:04 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-06-2021, 06:12 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]Am I reading the chart incorrectly? Looks to me like the Jaguars are one of the worst first round teams, which fit with what my perception of their first round performance has been. Nothing but bad choices and need reaches.

Bad in the first and good in the second has long been the story for the jags across multiple regimes and decades.

Meyer eschewed need and value to select a prospect he’d fallen in love with and tried to label it BAP.

I believe Etienne was the highest rated player remaining on NFL.com's Big Board at the time of his selection. So if that is the case, he could be viewed as the BAP.
(05-06-2021, 08:07 AM)Dimson Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-06-2021, 08:04 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Bad in the first and good in the second has long been the story for the jags across multiple regimes and decades.

I believe Etienne was the highest rated player remaining on NFL.com's Big Board at the time of his selection. So if that is the case, he could be viewed as the BAP.

It’s possible he was at the top of some boards at 25, but I don’t think that’s why he was selected by our front office.
(05-06-2021, 06:12 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]Am I reading the chart incorrectly? Looks to me like the Jaguars are one of the worst first round teams, which fit with what my perception of their first round performance has been. Nothing but bad choices and need reaches.

Call it falling in love with a guy (as Vic would have put it) or stacking your board to favor certain traits to manufacture guys into the "bap", but I think it's clear from the front office comments that they didn't build the board in a completely position agnostic manner. Taking the top guy on your board doesn't mean anything if you're building your board to take your perceived need into account.

Sometimes need reaches work out, but we'll have to see. For what it's worth the rest of the draft seemed less reachy, and more about value of guys for fitting the Jaguars' system, or just value. We'll see how it turns out in a few seasons.
(05-06-2021, 03:11 AM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-06-2021, 12:55 AM)D6 Wrote: [ -> ]My recollection from the Jaguars Message Board from the Shack/ Jack/ Paul Vance era was the overwhelming majority of Jaguars fans participating dreaded the teams 1st Round picks as the years went by and greatly appreciated the team's 2nd Round Picks. Off the top of my head, Rashean Mathis,  Daryl Smith, and MJD were three players the Jaguars drafted in the 2nd Round over a 4 year period. All three were amongst the best at their respective positions for a long time.
Your correct. Add on Allen Robinson, DJ Chark, Myles Jack and you can see how we are so high there. First round being near dead last is also no surprise.

It's one thing if this was the norm with one regime. For the Jaguars, this was also the case for a team brass for most of the 2010s that totally changed from the Shack and Jack days. Even team ownership changed.
(05-06-2021, 08:07 AM)Dimson Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-06-2021, 08:04 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Bad in the first and good in the second has long been the story for the jags across multiple regimes and decades.

Agreed, he was the top player on their board.  They really wanted Toney but he went at 20 to the Giants.  Toney would off been really fun to watch here and I wish he fell, Etienne is a stud too though

I want to remember these crybabies if ETN turns out to be a stud.  People have bad memories.  I remember people crying about drafting MJD because we had Fred Taylor.

(05-05-2021, 11:45 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]

Fourth round seems to be our worst round based on the charts.

I can't remember the last 4th rounder we had that became any good.
(05-06-2021, 06:02 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]

I want to remember these crybabies if ETN turns out to be a stud.  People have bad memories.  I remember people crying about drafting MJD because we had Fred Taylor.

(05-05-2021, 11:45 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Fourth round seems to be our worst round based on the charts.

This goes back before the info in the graphs. But a Jaguars 4th Round Pick who looked like he was heading to being a quality complimentary player for many years, before a career derailing knee injury, was RB Tavian Banks ( Iowa ).
(05-06-2021, 06:02 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]

(05-05-2021, 11:45 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Fourth round seems to be our worst round based on the charts.

Meh.
Whatever.  
The philosophy of RB value being largely unworthy of 1st round picks is common and widespread. 
I'm far from the only one who feels that way and I guarantee there are a dozen NFL GMs who'd feel similarly. 

I'm not "crying."  I like the player.  I think he'll probably end up being a positive factor in our offense. I simply think we could have achieved better value at 25.  
Taking a RB there feels like a luxury selection to me and 1-16 ain't "luxury selection territory."
Wasnt garrard a 4th rounder?
(05-06-2021, 03:11 AM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-06-2021, 12:55 AM)D6 Wrote: [ -> ]My recollection from the Jaguars Message Board from the Shack/ Jack/ Paul Vance era was the overwhelming majority of Jaguars fans participating dreaded the teams 1st Round picks as the years went by and greatly appreciated the team's 2nd Round Picks. Off the top of my head, Rashean Mathis,  Daryl Smith, and MJD were three players the Jaguars drafted in the 2nd Round over a 4 year period. All three were amongst the best at their respective positions for a long time.

Yep we have had some really good 2nd round picks. I do wonder though as often we are picking top 5 or top 7. Every year you hear about the 'cant miss' prospects like Fournette in the 1st round.

It also means we have a high 2nd round pick and are able to get those players that should be 1st round and slipped.

there he goes trying to stretch that to cover his narrative and when that man goes off and him and trevor are in the talk for ROY you will hear crickets.
Pages: 1 2