Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jaguars vs Saints preseason week 2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35
The starters should see the most minutes this game.  It will be a good test for our offense and a good test for our dline and pass rush as the Saints have one of the best olines in the league.  I want to see our secondary when against there WRs and and hopefully they make some plays on whatever QB is back there without Brees.  Hill and crab legs will both throw balls that can be picked
Less Minshew. He terrible
Practice leading up to the game. Campbell getting beat multiple times

"Jaguars training camp ‘21: Intense practice, cuts begin, Trevor is up and down" https://www.news4jax.com/sports/2021/08/...ssion=true

love seeing the Robinson and Jack battles, 2 great players making each other better
I know everyone is freaking out about the OL and Trevor getting hurt but I wanna see him for 4 or 5 series and I wanna see some ETN in the pass game.

I wanna see us stop a screen.

I wanna see walker Little getting some starting tackle time on the right side maybe.
(08-17-2021, 02:11 PM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]I know everyone is freaking out about the OL and Trevor getting hurt but I wanna see him for 4 or 5 series and I wanna see some ETN in the pass game.

I wanna see walker Little getting some starting tackle time on the right side maybe.

I'd love to see Little starting at RT and Taylor demoted to 2nd string. That won't happen though.
(08-17-2021, 02:20 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-17-2021, 02:11 PM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]I know everyone is freaking out about the OL and Trevor getting hurt but I wanna see him for 4 or 5 series and I wanna see some ETN in the pass game.

I'd love to see Little starting at RT and Taylor demoted to 2nd string. That won't happen though.

It will happen if Taylor struggles and Little plays good
Please put Little in there as a starter!
Saints looked bad their week one so it will be interesting to see what both teams look like going
Need to see some signs of life in this team this game. Are our receivers gonna get separation? Will the Oline protect Lawrence? Will the defense get pressure on the Saints QB and will we be able to defend against the run and simultaneously not get picked apart in the secondary?

I think everyone was hoping to see these things last week after a year's drought of not winning. But we were flat. Only a preseason game, right? This game will be a chance to show everyone a little fire power. Nationally televised game, so I know that Urban will be actually trying to not be embarrassed. If we can't put up some numbers, it won't be for a lack of trying. Which would then raise some further questions.
(08-22-2021, 08:50 AM)Flagler Jagsfan Wrote: [ -> ]Need to see some signs of life in this team this game.  Are our receivers gonna get separation? Will the Oline protect Lawrence? Will the defense get pressure on the Saints QB and will we be able to defend against the run and simultaneously not get picked apart in the secondary?

I think everyone was hoping to see these things last week after a year's drought of not winning. But we were flat. Only a preseason game, right? This game will be a chance to show everyone a little fire power. Nationally televised game, so I know that Urban will be actually trying to not be embarrassed. If we can't put up some numbers, it won't be for a lack of trying. Which would then raise some further questions.

I agree that this is an important game to show some progress.   Especially with all the new players, coaches, and schemes, we need to see if it's all going to work.  I've read they're actually game-planning this week, in contrast to last week when they were just trying out plays and evaluating players.  

And if it doesn't work, and we don't show some progress, I'll be thinking about when to start panicking.
I feel bad for you guys that you think it's going to look any different that the vanilla crap we saw last week.
I will be looking at 2 things in particular.

1. The pass rush. We need to come up with some blitz schemes that actually work. We blitzed quite a bit last week, but we didn't get anywhere near their QB's. It looked like they could've sat back there in the pocket and skimmed through their e-mails before passing the ball. I don't think we should panic after one preseason game, but if it happens again, it will be a little concerning.

2. I'm not expecting our O-Line to suddenly look rock solid. That's not gonna happen. We currently have a lack of talent with our starting OT's and it is what it is. With that said, I'd like to see us lean heavily on quick screens and play action passes where Trevor rolls out and throws on the run. We finally have a mobile QB with an accurate arm. In order to deal with the poor pass protection, this could be a way of moving the ball without getting him killed in the process. The Saints secondary has been decimated in the offseason and they lost their best pass rusher to free agency and replaced him with a rookie. This should be a good shot for us to kick start the offense a bit and give us a quick peek at what we have in store, without showing too much.
(08-22-2021, 10:47 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]I will be looking at 2 things in particular.

1. The pass rush. We need to come up with some blitz schemes that actually work. We blitzed quite a bit last week, but we didn't get anywhere near their QB's. It looked like they could've sat back there in the pocket and skimmed through their e-mails before passing the ball. I don't think we should panic after one preseason game, but if it happens again, it will be a little concerning.

2. I'm not expecting our O-Line to suddenly look rock solid. That's not gonna happen. We currently have a lack of talent with our starting OT's and it is what it is. With that said, I'd like to see us lean heavily on quick screens and play action passes where Trevor rolls out and throws on the run. We finally have a mobile QB with an accurate arm. In order to deal with the poor pass protection, this could be a way of moving the ball without getting him killed in the process. The Saints secondary has been decimated in the offseason and they lost their best pass rusher to free agency and replaced him with a rookie. This should be a good shot for us to kick start the offense a bit and give us a quick peek at what we have in store, without showing too much.

Those are good.  I would add, I think against the Browns we packed the line of scrimmage to stop the run, which we did successfully, but it hurt us in coverage especially on short stuff, and that allowed them to dink and dunk down the field.  It's pretty amazing the way the Browns controlled the clock with only 1.6 (?) yards per rushing attempt.  I'd like to see us play more of a balanced, honest defense and see if we can still stop the run.
(08-22-2021, 10:53 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-22-2021, 10:47 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]I will be looking at 2 things in particular.

Those are good.  I would add, I think against the Browns we packed the line of scrimmage to stop the run, which we did successfully, but it hurt us in coverage especially on short stuff, and that allowed them to dink and dunk down the field.  It's pretty amazing the way the Browns controlled the clock with only 1.6 (?) yards per rushing attempt.  I'd like to see us play more of a balanced, honest defense and see if we can still stop the run.

Absolutely. We need to strike a healthy balance between stopping the run and pressuring the passer.
(08-22-2021, 10:56 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-22-2021, 10:53 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]Those are good.  I would add, I think against the Browns we packed the line of scrimmage to stop the run, which we did successfully, but it hurt us in coverage especially on short stuff, and that allowed them to dink and dunk down the field.  It's pretty amazing the way the Browns controlled the clock with only 1.6 (?) yards per rushing attempt.  I'd like to see us play more of a balanced, honest defense and see if we can still stop the run.

Absolutely. We need to strike a healthy balance between stopping the run and pressuring the passer.

That is true, but what I was talking about was striking a balance between stopping the run and covering short passes.  I may be wrong, but it seemed like our linebackers were much more concerned about stopping the run than they were about dropping into coverage.  It seemed like the area just beyond the line of scrimmage was often devoid of linebackers and safeties, and that let the Browns dink and dunk their way down the field.
(08-22-2021, 11:09 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-22-2021, 10:56 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]Absolutely. We need to strike a healthy balance between stopping the run and pressuring the passer.

That is true, but what I was talking about was striking a balance between stopping the run and covering short passes.  I may be wrong, but it seemed like our linebackers were much more concerned about stopping the run than they were about dropping into coverage.  It seemed like the area just beyond the line of scrimmage was often devoid of linebackers and safeties, and that let the Browns dink and dunk their way down the field.

It was. The Browns were exploiting the short, middle of the field which was wide open. The thing that I found most disconcerting was that they did it over and over and over and we failed to make any adjustments. If that happens in the regular season, we're gonna be looking for a new DC. When you see something that isn't working, you have to have the ability to adapt and make changes to what you are doing. If we see a repeat of what we saw last week, that would be unsettling.
(08-22-2021, 11:18 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-22-2021, 11:09 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]That is true, but what I was talking about was striking a balance between stopping the run and covering short passes.  I may be wrong, but it seemed like our linebackers were much more concerned about stopping the run than they were about dropping into coverage.  It seemed like the area just beyond the line of scrimmage was often devoid of linebackers and safeties, and that let the Browns dink and dunk their way down the field.

It was. The Browns were exploiting the short, middle of the field which was wide open. The thing that I found most disconcerting was that they did it over and over and over and we failed to make any adjustments. If that happens in the regular season, we're gonna be looking for a new DC. When you see something that isn't working, you have to have the ability to adapt and make changes to what you are doing. If we see a repeat of what we saw last week, that would be unsettling.

Makes me wonder if they’re still using Todd Wash’s playbook.
As I've come to the conclusion that Urban allowed his staff to run the show entirely as he stood back and moderated, I'm convinced (as per his post game speech) that they'll be Much More aggressive on both sides of the ball. He was perturbed of the outcome to say the least, as I were and most of us Jaguar fans.

We have to keep in mind that we truly have a rookie coaching staff for the most part of which they're just getting their feet wet. I/we expect more from our Jaguars of which I honestly believe that we'll get our wish.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
I was watching other preseason games, and I often wonder how that Patriots can look so good in the preseason winning 35-0, but our jags looked blah. Then I think some more, and it sets in that it's just preseason : )

Looking forward to the game tomorrow anyways

The two bolded bits are incongruent.

Cullen isn't going to put his good [BLEEP] on tape in August.  And I'm sure the play action and rollouts you're hoping for fall under the same category for Bevell. 

Meyer said last week his coordinators were adamant about not revealing their playbooks. I wouldn't expect any fireworks until September.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35