Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Who's our backup QB?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
With another cut day looming tomorrow and given the preseason performance between Minshew and Beathard, should we go with CJ Beathard over Minshew?

I think our staff might cut Minshew and go with Beathard after unsuccessfully finding a trade partner for Gardner.
Should be Beathard, any other choice would only prove Meyer is clueless
CJ Beathard
I don't think that Jags would straight up cut Gardner. I do believe they could still trade him for a pick. But maybe they may end up deciding to go with CJ as the #2 QB and move Gardner. It will be interesting to see what they do here. Gardner has looked much better in practice than CJ has, but CJ has played better in the preseason games so far. And they did give CJ guaranteed money. They'll have to think about who they really want coming in if something should happen to Trevor. If they decide that's CJ, I think they would move Gardner.
Dont get to high in cj. I've seen his work. Hes doing well in garbage time vs garbage players. No offense to garbage. Go look at his work on his previous team. As for Minshew, I think he would be a good #2. If you need him, he can hold things down for a few games. I'm not sure why hes kind of off these two preseason games. I think hes trying too hard. He needs to relax and get back to how he was playing before he lost some confidence last year
(08-24-2021, 06:36 AM)Jag88 Wrote: [ -> ]Dont get to high in cj. I've seen his work. Hes doing well in garbage time vs garbage players. No offense to garbage. Go look at his work on his previous team. As for Minshew, I think he would be a good #2. If you need him, he can hold things down for a few games. I'm not sure why hes kind of off these two preseason games. I think hes trying too hard. He needs to relax and get back to how he was playing before he lost some confidence last year

My thoughts too. Beathard is all show and no go when it comes to first team pressures. Minshew is spastic but he’s marginally more reliable and can settle into periods of actual good play.
When you look at the field of play, Beathard will certainly back up TL16. GM15 has regressed for some unknown reason to say the least. Yes he is trying to do too much instead of letting his game play out. Bernhard was signed to be that security blanket of which is now wrapped around TL16.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
(08-24-2021, 06:36 AM)Jag88 Wrote: [ -> ]Dont get to high in cj. I've seen his work. Hes doing well in garbage time vs garbage players. No offense to garbage. Go look at his work on his previous team. As for Minshew, I think he would be a good #2. If you need him, he can hold things down for a few games. I'm not sure why hes kind of off these two preseason games. I think hes trying too hard. He needs to relax and get back to how he was playing before he lost some confidence last year

Of course he isn't ideal, I'd love to have another option, but at this point he's better than Minshew. That's not saying much though. Minshew has regressed a lot since his rookie season. Maybe we look at the final roster cuts and bring in a better veteran QB to backup Lawrence? Who knows? Right now, we have to go with the best guy we have and unfortunately, that is Beathard. Minshew is even lowering his trade value every time he steps on the field. Right now, I don't even know if we could get a conditional 6th rounder for him. I really like the guy, as a person, but he's just not a very good NFL QB. Right now, it looks like the Bills got an absolute steal when they signed Mitchell Trubisky as their backup. Hopefully, who ever backs up Lawrence, will never see the field though. That would be ideal, but with the way the O-Line is playing, we need to be prepared.
(08-23-2021, 10:59 PM)enigma Wrote: [ -> ]With another cut day looming tomorrow and given the preseason performance between Minshew and Beathard, should we go with CJ Beathard over Minshew?

I think our staff might cut Minshew and go with Beathard after unsuccessfully finding a trade partner for Gardner.

I really think that they need to give Beat Hard time with the twos to truly assess. I'm even fine if they rotate the QBs each possession in the second half this weekend, but I want to see more from Beathard than just looking like a guy who can hold his own against PS fodder. He's doing as expected thus far, someone with starting experience in actual games should be able to outplay guys he's playing against.

If we reverse the roles, what changes? That may go a big way to determining who you roll with.

At this point, though, unless practice plays out differently than the games, I can't see how Minshew is ahead of Beathard for the second string job. If you are concerned about trade return, I'd venture that you might be able to get more by dealing Beathard if he and Minshew are judged to be nearly equal as backup. His contract is more expensive, but his film is definitely better this season and may get someone looking for a backup or bandaid starter to offer something for him.

I don't think either guy nets more than a late day 3 pick, so whoop dee doo about trying to deal either one. Those late picks aren't going to make much of a difference in our future W/L record.

https://www.nfl.com/players/c-j-beathard/stats/career

Should he be the starter? no 
is he better than Minshew? hell yes
is he a decent backup? yes
(08-24-2021, 09:46 AM)Mikey Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-23-2021, 10:59 PM)enigma Wrote: [ -> ]With another cut day looming tomorrow and given the preseason performance between Minshew and Beathard, should we go with CJ Beathard over Minshew?

I really think that they need to give Beat Hard time with the twos to truly assess. I'm even fine if they rotate the QBs each possession in the second half this weekend, but I want to see more from Beathard than just looking like a guy who can hold his own against PS fodder. He's doing as expected thus far, someone with starting experience in actual games should be able to outplay guys he's playing against.

If we reverse the roles, what changes? That may go a big way to determining who you roll with.

At this point, though, unless practice plays out differently than the games, I can't see how Minshew is ahead of Beathard for the second string job. If you are concerned about trade return, I'd venture that you might be able to get more by dealing Beathard if he and Minshew are judged to be nearly equal as backup. His contract is more expensive, but his film is definitely better this season and may get someone looking for a backup or bandaid starter to offer something for him.

I don't think either guy nets more than a late day 3 pick, so whoop dee doo about trying to deal either one. Those late picks aren't going to make much of a difference in our future W/L record.

Gardner has been looking much better than CJ in practices. I wonder how the staff will weigh their thoughts on that vs how they have looked in these first couple of preseason games.
I’m going with CJ. I’ve seen Minshew and his ceiling already and i feel like he might be a cancer since he wants to be the starter. CJ is a decent backup though. Just my 2 cents.

Also i don’t judge by practices….. games are all that matter. Allen Iverson said it best, We’re talking about practice man….
Trevor should get every single first team rep going forward, and Minshew/Beathard should split second team reps in practice and in the final preseason game. Cut the loser, don't carry 3 QBs. Keep a 7th WR so we don't lose Camp to another team when we try to stash him on the practice squad.
Hell, keep all 3. You're probably going to need numbers on the bench with the way this OL plays.
(08-24-2021, 10:39 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: [ -> ]Hell, keep all 3. You're probably going to need numbers on the bench with the way this OL plays.

this. But Beathard should be #2.
From NFL.com

Hang onto Minshew. Speculation that the Jaguars might be willing to trade quarterback Gardner Minshew if he, as expected, loses the starting QB job to Trevor Lawrence, should stop. Not because Minshew should win the job -- he shouldn't -- but because the Jaguars offense needs as much mobility in the QB room as it can get. Jacksonville's pass protection left a lot to be desired Monday, and although the Jags played with less than a full deck up front, the regular season might not signal much improvement. Extending plays and operating around traffic in the pocket is what Minshew does best. Urban Meyer's offense puts the QB on the move by design at times, too, so a stationary QB behind leaky pass protection is the last thing he needs. That logic doesn't just extend to Lawrence, who is plenty mobile himself. It only makes sense for QB2 to have wheels of his own.
(08-24-2021, 10:23 AM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]Trevor should get every single first team rep going forward, and Minshew/Beathard should split second team reps in practice and in the final preseason game. Cut the loser, don't carry 3 QBs. Keep a 7th WR so we don't lose Camp to another team when we try to stash him on the practice squad.
Weird. It's almost like people have been clamoring for that for weeks.....

Minshew was never going to win the "QB competition" and giving Minshew 1st team reps has clearly hurt this team going forward. Stop playing thing dumb mind games Urban and let Trevor lead this team.
I don’t want Trevor playing behind this line. Let him sit this year or we might ruin him before he gets good.
(08-24-2021, 12:37 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-24-2021, 10:23 AM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]Trevor should get every single first team rep going forward, and Minshew/Beathard should split second team reps in practice and in the final preseason game. Cut the loser, don't carry 3 QBs. Keep a 7th WR so we don't lose Camp to another team when we try to stash him on the practice squad.
Weird. It's almost like people have been clamoring for that for weeks.....

Minshew was never going to win the "QB competition" and giving Minshew 1st team reps has clearly hurt this team going forward. Stop playing thing dumb mind games Urban and let Trevor lead this team.

Of course, most of us have been. It just gets gets reinforced more and more by the day.
(08-24-2021, 12:40 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: [ -> ]I don’t want Trevor playing behind this line. Let him sit this year or we might ruin him before he gets good.

Being that the entire left side of the OL didn't play including Linder, TL won't be playing behind that OL. They must get healthy though.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
Pages: 1 2