Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Fringe Position Battles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
There will definitely be some interesting moves to follow with regards to who makes the roster in certain position groups.

I'm focusing on whether we keep 3 RBs/6 WRs or if we go 4 RBs/5 WRs. I underlined those players who presumably make the final roster.

Our RB group is: Robinson, Hyde, Ogunbowale, Ozigbo, Cottrell

Our WR group is: Chark Jr, Jones Jr, Shenault Jr, Agnew, Dorsett, Johnson, Cooper, Treadwell, Austin, Hammond, Camp, Cotton Jr, Smith.

I'm interested in the players on the fringe because quite a few of them have played very well like Dorsett, Cotton Jr, Cottrell at runningback and even Treadwell.
I think safety is similar. Lots of similarly strong/weak guys at the end of the roster.

Our S group is: Jenkins, Cisco, Jones, Ford, Wilson, Wingard, Thomas, Rusnak. 

There has been indications they could keep 6 but 5 is minimum. The only one I think is out for sure is Rusnak.
(08-29-2021, 03:40 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote: [ -> ]I think safety is similar. Lots of similarly strong/weak guys at the end of the roster.

Our S group is: Jenkins, Cisco, Jones, Ford, Wilson, Wingard, Thomas, Rusnak. 

There has been indications they could keep 6 but 5 is minimum. The only one I think is out for sure is Rusnak.

Agree.

I think Wingard gets cut, despite his ST experience, and Wilson makes the final roster with us going with 5.
Ozigbo is a lock imo, he has looked good and explosive every game
Ozigbo is looking very well with the game coming to an end.

This coaching staff is going to have a hard time making these decisions for the last few players to make this team.
(08-29-2021, 03:48 PM)enigma Wrote: [ -> ]Ozigbo is looking very well with the game coming to an end.

This coaching staff is going to have a hard time making these decisions for the last few players to make this team.

I don't think it will be hard at all for the 3rd RB spot
(08-29-2021, 03:49 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-29-2021, 03:48 PM)enigma Wrote: [ -> ]Ozigbo is looking very well with the game coming to an end.

I don't think it will be hard at all for the 3rd RB spot

But do we keep 4 RBs/5 WRs, with Cottrell potentially making it, or go 3 RBs/6 WRs and a player like Dorsett/Treadwell/Cooper/Camp/Cotton Jr making it?
How I see the offense currently.

QB: TL, CJ , (Luton PS)
RB: J-Robinson, Hyde, Ogbunwale, Ozigbo (Cottrell PS)
WR: Chark, Viska Shenault, Jones, Agnew, [ last spot battle: Cooper/Dorsett/Cotton/Treadwell]
TE: O'Shaughnessy, Manhertz, Farrell
OL: Cam, Norwell, Linder, Cann, Taylor, Shatley, Little, Bartch, [last spot battle: Richardson/Wallace-Sims/Gray/Pleasants etc]
Cottrell is not making the team guys. These are nice stories but Cinderella is about to hear the 12th strike of Midnight.
(08-29-2021, 03:56 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Cottrell is not making the team guys. These are nice stories but Cinderella is about to hear the 12th strike of Midnight.

This, he will be a easy cut imo.
(08-29-2021, 03:56 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Cottrell is not making the team guys. These are nice stories but Cinderella is about to hear the 12th strike of Midnight.

I agree with you at the end of the day. 

Just wondering what direction they go with the number of RBs and WRs - even with Hyde, Ozigbo and Ogunbowale behind Robinson.
(08-29-2021, 03:55 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]How I see the offense currently.

WR: Chark, Viska Shenault, Jones, Agnew, [ last spot battle: Cooper/Dorsett/Cotton/Treadwell]
OL: Cam, Norwell, Linder, Cann, Taylor, Shatley, Little, Bartch,  [last spot battle: Richardson/Wallace-Sims/Gray/Pleasants etc]

I don't think Cann will make the team. Nor will Josh Allen. 

Because of Covid-19 rules. This opens up 2 more spots on the roster if it stays this way.
I think we would be foolish to keep less than 6 WR. I would argue Treadwell as a very light TE and keep 7.

WR is the skill position with deep talent. RB and TE are OK and terrible respectively. Do not cut a good player to keep a bad player at another position if at all possible.

Post cut claims could change the balance, but I am keeping 7 WR and playing some of them in hybrid roles.
(08-29-2021, 04:53 PM)rufftime Wrote: [ -> ]I think we would be foolish to keep less than 6 WR.  I would argue Treadwell as a very light TE and keep 7.

WR is the skill position with deep talent.  RB and TE are OK and terrible respectively.  Do not cut a good player to keep a bad player at another position if at all possible.

Post cut claims could change the balance, but I am keeping 7 WR and playing some of them in hybrid roles.

Treadwell hasn't earned a spot.
(08-29-2021, 03:48 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]Ozigbo is a lock imo, he has looked good and explosive every game

That last drive he had was quite impressive.
Too of my favorite players will possibly get cut soon. Collin Johnson and Tyler Davis. Meyer doesn't seem to have thing for tall WRs.

OL: Cam, Norwell, Linder, Cann, Taylor, Shatley, Little, Bartch,  [last spot battle: Richardson/Wallace-Sims/Gray/Pleasants etc]

Gray was cut, unless there is another gray on the roster of whom I am unaware. (Not being a smartass here)

He may not make the team, but he has put some good things on tape.  He shows the ability to run decently inside as well as catch out of the backfield...and element that is diminished with the Etienne injury.  Not aware of/thinking about any "story" he represents.

It would not be a shock if he made the practice squad.
(08-29-2021, 05:03 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]

Gray was cut, unless there is another gray on the roster of whom I am unaware. (Not being a smartass here)

Thanks - I should have listed the recently added OL there instead.
 (I just glanced at the roster page on jaguars.com when looking for players past Richardson on the depth chart LOL)
My attempt at guessing the initial 53

QB (2): Lawrence, Beathard, Luton (PS)
RB (4): Robinson, Hyde, Ozigbo, Ogunbowale, Cottrell (PS)
WR (7): Chark, Shenault, M Jones, Agnew, Dorsett, Austin, Johnson or Treadwell or Cotton or Hammond or Cooper, Camp (PS)
TE (3): Manherz, O'Shaughnessy, Farrell, Ellefson (PS)
OL (8): Robinson, Norwell, Linder, Taylor, Bartch, Little, Shatley, Richardson, Wallace-Sims (PS)
DL (8): Brown, Robertson-Harris, Hamilton, Ward, Smoot, Tufele, Bryan(sorry), Costin
EDGE: (2): Chaisson, Smith.
LB (4): Jack, Wilson, Quarterman, Russell
CB (6): Henderson, Griffin, Herndon, Jones, Campbell, Claybrooks
S (6): Jenkins, Cisco, Jones, Ford, Wilson, Wingard(sorry)
K (1): Lambo
P (1): Cooke
LS (1): Matiscik

Ward and Smoot are listed as DL but could be EDGE.

Allen and Cann are on Covid-list and I expect them to be out until Wednesday.

Remember that players on the initial 53 man list can be returned from IR after at least 3 games so I think they could keep someone who's banged up but not too seriously.
We are also number 1 on the waiver wire so that could push 1 or 2 players out as well
Pages: 1 2