Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Impressions From the Dallas Game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Even though it's live action football and ny football withdrawal has been sated, the abiding sense I have is mercifully, the preseason is over.  I was especially eager to see it end because of the Etienne injury, and the desire to get out of the preseason without anyone else suffering any injury.  Nevertheless, my beloved Jaguars played footall in the last tuneup before the season.  My thoughts:

1.  Even though many pooh pooh the preseason, it represents something very important for a lot of players-the chance to either continue their dreams or to move on to another phase of their careers.  To those players who have toiled over many years to get to this point, to wear the teal and to provide Jaguars fans with entertainment, whether you make the team or not, I salute you.  If you do not make the team and it represents the end of your NFL career, I wish you luck in your future endeavors.  If you do not make the team and hope to continue your NFL careers elsewhere, I wish you luck in all your future endeavors except against the Jaguars.  If you make the team, I congratulate you and hope you make us, the loyal Jaguars fans proud on and off the field.

2.  Traditionally, you have to take preseason performances with a grain of salt because teams do not game plan for them under most circumstances, and in many times the starters do not play because teams want to protect their best players from possible injury.  But there was always a sort of rhythm to the preseason in the past.  The 3rd preseason game was the most important and instructve for most fans, because the starters usually played at least a half, and maybe up to 3 quarters, and you got a more accurate barometer as to how your team would fare against other teams starters.  The 4th and final preseason game evolved into keeping starters out and letting the bubble guys play the most to give them a chance to either make the roster or put more stuff on tape for other teams to see.  But with the reduction of the preseason to three games, and with two weeks between the last preseason game and the start of the regular season, it's a little tougher to get a feel for things.  Some teams played their starters this week (e.g. Buffalo), while others like Dallas sat their starters.  That said, even though it was just preseason, it was good to see what the offense might look like when Trevor Lawrence gets protection.  For now, there is a little more hope.

3.  CJ Henderson has been the subject of a lot of negative speculation this offseason and preseason, but his pursuit and run support hit of that receiver on the reverse seems like good indicia to me his head is in it.  Cover corners often are not keen on run support or tackling.  For him to willingly do so in the last preseason game against a guy who may not be in the league by Tuesday speaks well for him.  I hope I am right about that, because this team needs him at his best.  I think on the whole, the CBs were good in run support, as Sidney Jones and Chris Claybrooks both had good run support plays.

4.  Given he was acquired during the summer and hasn't been the subject of much discussion, people tend to forget he was an All Pro and Pro bowl player for the Rams not too long ago.  I thought Pharoah Cooper had a really good game.  He had three nice punt returns and a TD catch.  I don't know if that will be enough to secure him a spot on the final roster, but I'd certainly rate him above Phillip Dorsett and a few others.

5. Under the category of mixed feelings, I felt bad for Taven Bryan when he jumped offsides.  You could tell from his reaction that he hated making that mistake and he wanted to make a big play.  Fortunately for him, that penalty did not extend the drive even though his blunder made the 3rd down easier to convert.  However, I am among many who have been disappointed with his tenure here, and thinks the team should and will move on from him.

6.  I thought the special teams was good today.  Aside from the nice punt returns, Cook had a good punt that pinned Dallas inside their 5, and Lambo made his FGs.  Kick coverage was good, and there were no penalties for illegal blocks on returns.

7.  Rookie Watch:

A.  Trevor Lawrence-Imagine being a kid anticipating getting the toy you desperately want for Christmas.  Christmas day finally arrives only for you to discover, to your horror, that your toy was missing essentially pieces, without which made it impossible for it to work properly, and you had to return it.  After a few days, you finally manage to get a replacement with all of the parts, and it works beautifully.  That was the analogy I drew watching Trevor Lawrence function with adequate protection.  Given protection, he showed everything the scouts said he had...everything we'd seen of him at Clemson...everything reflected in the camp reports.  He stood tall in the pocket, showed excellent accuracy on short, intermediate and deep passes, good arm strength and touch.  He was also good on the run, showing good mobility on bootlegs.  He even functioned well with decision making and accuracy in the red zone.  Let this be a lesson to Baalke and Meyer.  Make it a priority to get this man protection, and everyone but our opponents will be happy.

B.  Travis Etienne-DNP-is on IR

C.  Tyson Campbell-Did not notice him at all.

D.  Walker Little-played extensively out of necessity due to Cam Robinson being out.  Thought he played pretty well, allowing far fewer pressures this week than he did against the Saints.  In run blocking, displayed the ability to reach the second level.  Under normal circumstances, I would not want him in the game as late as he played, but he needs the reps.

E.  Anthony Cisco-Had a good pass breakup right before the two minute warning.  Otherwise did not notice him.  Surprised he was playing this late in the game, because I have to think his spot is secure because he has impressed most of the preseason.

F.  Jay Tufele-showed nice penetration on a play earl in the second half.  He has shown flashes of ability in each of the three games.  Typically, the bubble tends to form around guys taken in the 4th round where he was taken.  I think he makes the team.

G.  Jordan Smith-I saw him in on a tackle early in the game, and he also had a decent pressure.  Late in the game he had an offsides penalty that negated a strip sack.  At minimum he makes the practice squad.

H.  Luke farrell-I saw him go in motion on a play, but I did not see him make any catches nor did I watch him closely in the running game.

I.  Jalen Camp-Did not see him.

8.  While these guys are not rookies, I think  Laquon Treadwell, Jeff Cotton, Pharoah Cooper, and Cottrell (less so because of the fumble and the presence of Carlos Hyde) and Ozigbo have all made good impressions and are viable candidates for the final roster.  Conversely, I'm not sure Collin Johnson fares well when the bubble bursts.  I don't see Phillip Dorsett making it.  Just as I was concluding Wallace Simms was having a decent game, he gave up a pressure and had a holding penalty on back to back plays.  But I'm thinking a lack of quality OL depth keeps him around, unless someone unexpectedly gets cut from another roster.

9.   Nice to see something out of Shaughnessy and Manhertz, but I'm still hoping a good pass catching TE is cut and we pick him up.

10.   Gardner Minshew did not have as good of a year last year as he did his rookie year, but I think he has plenty to offer an NFL team as a backup.  That said, I am okay with beathard as a backup QB, even though he threw the INT.  Luton is a decent 3rd QB option, whether he is on the practice squad or, more likely, the practice squad.

11.  It'll be interesting to see how the national media reacts to Trevor Lawrence's game today.  My guess?  They minimize his performance.

12.  Bottom line:  We'll feel better after today than we did either of the final two games.  After all, it IS our first win of any kind since we beat the Colts opening day last year.  But there are some issues with this team...which is to be expected one year removed from a 1-15 season.  I do not want to jinx us, but it appears we managed to avoid any major injuries in this game.  Assuming this to be true, despite our problems, I think we have a chance to beat Houston if we play well.  But we gotta get our O line healthy.
Campbell didn't play, Jordan Smith will make the team
Good assessments. As much as he has the “fan factor”, Minshew is what he is: extremely smart but limited by physical skills. CJ Beathard offers more in regards to stretching the field as an offense than Minshew could. I do wish Minshew well wherever he goes for the rest of his career. You just want to root for the guy.

Overall the O Line looked more polished today, even with all the backups in. It gives me hope for opening day.

With Lawrence a threat to uncork a deep ball, and legit speed threats downfield….it should bode well for Robinson this year.
(08-29-2021, 04:23 PM)NCJag Wrote: [ -> ]Good assessments. As much as he has the “fan factor”, Minshew is what he is: extremely smart but limited by physical skills. CJ Beathard offers more in regards to stretching the field as an offense than Minshew could. I do wish Minshew well wherever he goes for the rest of his career. You just want to root for the guy.

Overall the O Line looked more polished today, even with all the backups in. It gives me hope for opening day.

With Lawrence a threat to uncork a deep ball, and legit speed threats downfield….it should bode well for Robinson this year.

One good thing Mishew had going for him with his limited athletic ability is accuracy his rookie year.  His accuracy has went to [BLEEP].
(08-29-2021, 04:11 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]     A.  Trevor Lawrence-Imagine being a kid anticipating getting the toy you desperately want for Christmas.  Christmas day finally arrives only for you to discover, to your horror, that your toy was missing essentially pieces, without which made it impossible for it to work properly, and you had to return it.  After a few days, you finally manage to get a replacement with all of the parts, and it works beautifully.  That was the analogy I drew watching Trevor Lawrence function with adequate protection.  Given protection, he showed everything the scouts said he had...everything we'd seen of him at Clemson...everything reflected in the camp reports.  He stood tall in the pocket, showed excellent accuracy on short, intermediate and deep passes, good arm strength and touch.  He was also good on the run, showing good mobility on bootlegs.  He even functioned well with decision making and accuracy in the red zone.  Let this be a lesson to Baalke and Meyer.  Make it a priority to get this man protection, and everyone but our opponents will be happy.

I don't know if it was him getting the ball out more quickly or the team designing plays to to hit quick passes, but I think part of the reason he looked so much better was the line didnt need to block very long.  To their credit, the deep throw to Dorsett and the first TD to Cooper they did a good job of creating a clean pocket for him to step up into.  Although the TD to Cooper there was some late pressure up the middle which was blocked, but Trevor didnt really even step into it but was able to move his weight forward on the throw.  But a few other passes the pressure would have been there had he not got the ball out quickly.  The one where he took the shot to the jaw obviously was pressure up the middle.  The quick slant to Collin Johnson there was quick pressure but didnt affect him as it was out so quickly (I actually thought he should have throw to the inside guy running an out pattern.  think it was Shenault.  was gonna be wide open).  There was a quick slant to Shenault inside the ten where pressure was coming up the middle.  I want to say a number of these examples was Richardson getting beat.  Either way was a great day for Lawrence and obviously gives us fans a lot to hope for as we go into the season.

The WR roster decisions will be tough.  That deep ball to Dorsett is exactly what the team needs as we don't have a lot of pure speed guys.  But Cooper is such a savvy vet.  A lot of solid guys to each bring something unique.  Will really just come down to what skillset the staff is looking for.
Watching Henderson pursue the tackle on the reverse versus the traditional Jaguar defender way of waiting for the runner to come to him was a snapshot into the impact a guy like Meyer has on this team.
The best thing to see Trev play good is to give him confidence imo. This whole team need confidence but not to cocky
This game showed that the Jaguars' biggest problem up until today was that they were just playing against much better teams. The Saints and the Browns are legitimate playoffs teams, the Jaguars still have some building to do, but at least we have the most important piece already.
(08-29-2021, 04:36 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]Watching Henderson pursue the tackle on the reverse versus the traditional Jaguar defender way of waiting for the runner to come to him was a snapshot into the impact a guy like Meyer has on this team.

I sure hope you are right about that.

(08-29-2021, 04:18 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]Campbell didn't play, Jordan Smith will make the team

What happened with Campbell?
Calf strain I think
(08-29-2021, 04:23 PM)NCJag Wrote: [ -> ]Good assessments. As much as he has the “fan factor”, Minshew is what he is: extremely smart but limited by physical skills. CJ Beathard offers more in regards to stretching the field as an offense than Minshew could. I do wish Minshew well wherever he goes for the rest of his career. You just want to root for the guy.

Thanks.

Agreed completely with Minshew, though I hate the team he went to.

I am still apprehensive about the OL going into Houston.  Everything is full speed...game planning, etc.  Even assuming the 4 guys that missed today will be completely healthy and present, I'm just not sure if our tackles can handle speed outside.

I want to see good protection and TL with a healthy Chark outside.

(08-29-2021, 04:39 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]The best thing to see Trev play good is to give him confidence imo.  This whole team need confidence but not to cocky

Agreed.

Important for him and the rest of the offense get some confidence.
Dorsett is making this team. Not many players that get cut take their shoulder pads off for the second half. Just sayin
(08-29-2021, 04:43 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote: [ -> ]Calf strain I think

Thank you.

(08-29-2021, 04:49 PM)Bruuval Wrote: [ -> ]Dorsett is making this team. Not many players that get cut take their shoulder pads off for the second half. Just sayin

If he makes the team, it's because the team needs speed at the skill positions-something lacking after the Etienne and Austin injuries.

(08-29-2021, 04:41 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]This game showed that the Jaguars' biggest problem up until today was that they were just playing against much better teams. The Saints and the Browns are legitimate playoffs teams, the Jaguars still have some building to do, but at least we have the most important piece already.

That may be true.

I would be more inclined to agree completely with this had the Jaguars played against starters for most of those first two games.  Of course, the flip side of that is those playoff teams may well be deeper/have more quality depth than Dallas.
(08-29-2021, 04:49 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]

Thank you.

(08-29-2021, 04:49 PM)Bruuval Wrote: [ -> ]Dorsett is making this team. Not many players that get cut take their shoulder pads off for the second half. Just sayin

If he makes the team, it's because the team needs speed at the skill positions-something lacking after the Etienne and Austin injuries.

Also did the same thing in the Saints game. His spot was guaranteed before either got hurt. I’d be shocked if he was cut.
NFL.com was gushing over Trevor. He looks the part. The receivers showed up today. And the Jags actually have Tight Ends, who knew? Just a solid performance by the whole team. I’m cautiously optimistic.
(08-29-2021, 04:35 PM)rfc17 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-29-2021, 04:11 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]     A.  Trevor Lawrence-Imagine being a kid anticipating getting the toy you desperately want for Christmas.  Christmas day finally arrives only for you to discover, to your horror, that your toy was missing essentially pieces, without which made it impossible for it to work properly, and you had to return it.  After a few days, you finally manage to get a replacement with all of the parts, and it works beautifully.  That was the analogy I drew watching Trevor Lawrence function with adequate protection.  Given protection, he showed everything the scouts said he had...everything we'd seen of him at Clemson...everything reflected in the camp reports.  He stood tall in the pocket, showed excellent accuracy on short, intermediate and deep passes, good arm strength and touch.  He was also good on the run, showing good mobility on bootlegs.  He even functioned well with decision making and accuracy in the red zone.  Let this be a lesson to Baalke and Meyer.  Make it a priority to get this man protection, and everyone but our opponents will be happy.

I don't know if it was him getting the ball out more quickly or the team designing plays to to hit quick passes, but I think part of the reason he looked so much better was the line didnt need to block very long.  To their credit, the deep throw to Dorsett and the first TD to Cooper they did a good job of creating a clean pocket for him to step up into.  Although the TD to Cooper there was some late pressure up the middle which was blocked, but Trevor didnt really even step into it but was able to move his weight forward on the throw.  But a few other passes the pressure would have been there had he not got the ball out quickly.  The one where he took the shot to the jaw obviously was pressure up the middle.  The quick slant to Collin Johnson there was quick pressure but didnt affect him as it was out so quickly (I actually thought he should have throw to the inside guy running an out pattern.  think it was Shenault.  was gonna be wide open).  There was a quick slant to Shenault inside the ten where pressure was coming up the middle.  I want to say a number of these examples was Richardson getting beat.  Either way was a great day for Lawrence and obviously gives us fans a lot to hope for as we go into the season.

The WR roster decisions will be tough.  That deep ball to Dorsett is exactly what the team needs as we don't have a lot of pure speed guys.  But Cooper is such a savvy vet.  A lot of solid guys to each bring something unique.  Will really just come down to what skillset the staff is looking for.

Yes, the team seemed intent on getting the ball out more quickly, whether that was on TL to do that on his own or whether the plays were called to have that effect.

Speaking of Shenault, it was sweet seeing him drag those Dallas defenders for a few yards.

Thanks.

Hopefully the extra week will give him time to get healthy.
(08-29-2021, 04:11 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]11.  It'll be interesting to see how the national media reacts to Trevor Lawrence's game today.  My guess?  They minimize his performance.

(08-29-2021, 04:54 PM)Ronster Wrote: [ -> ]NFL.com was gushing over Trevor. He looks the part. The receivers showed up today. And the Jags actually have Tight Ends, who knew? Just a solid performance by the whole team. I’m cautiously optimistic.

This from CBSsports.com

Quote:Why the Jaguars won

Simply put? It's because they were supposed to. To their credit, they did, and you shouldn't take that away from them. But when you're playing starters against backups, if you do anything other than grind them into dust, you'd have a lot to be worried about. "

This is what I'm talking about.

Exactly what "starters" did the Jaguars have?

Four out of the starting five OL were out (unless Walker Little has been named a starter and I don't know about it).  The one starter that DID play, Jawaan Taylor, has been awful and likely would not start on most other teams. 

Two of our three best receivers did not play.

O Shaugnessey, while technically a starter, likely would not start for most other teams.

Yes, he played against backups, but it is disingenuous to act as if he was playing with the full complement of starters offensively.
(08-29-2021, 04:55 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks.

And learn to play DB.
(08-29-2021, 05:50 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-29-2021, 04:55 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks.

And learn to play DB.

Hes a rookie that hasn't even played a regular season game yet.  It might take him a little longer than that
(08-29-2021, 05:29 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-29-2021, 04:11 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]11.  It'll be interesting to see how the national media reacts to Trevor Lawrence's game today.  My guess?  They minimize his performance.

(08-29-2021, 04:54 PM)Ronster Wrote: [ -> ]NFL.com was gushing over Trevor. He looks the part. The receivers showed up today. And the Jags actually have Tight Ends, who knew? Just a solid performance by the whole team. I’m cautiously optimistic.

This from CBSsports.com

Quote:Why the Jaguars won

Simply put? It's because they were supposed to. To their credit, they did, and you shouldn't take that away from them. But when you're playing starters against backups, if you do anything other than grind them into dust, you'd have a lot to be worried about. "

This is what I'm talking about.

Exactly what "starters" did the Jaguars have?

Four out of the starting five OL were out (unless Walker Little has been named a starter and I don't know about it).  The one starter that DID play, Jawaan Taylor, has been awful and likely would not start on most other teams. 

Two of our three best receivers did not play.

O Shaugnessey, while technically a starter, likely would not start for most other teams.

Yes, he played against backups, but it is disingenuous to act as if he was playing with the full complement of starters offensively.

It's because most of them are too lazy to take 2 minutes to look at our team and who they fielded today.

Trevor might have went against back ups, but nobody can deny what he showed today. The ball placement on his throws jumped off the screen. He was fully in command and made everything look extremely easy.

The OL held up good considering 4 out of 5 starters were out. They were a make shift group today that had 2nd and 3rd stringers starting, so the the back ups narrative can be thrown out in that case.
Pages: 1 2 3