Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Sidney Jones Traded?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Someone smarter than me help me understand why we gave him up for a 6th rounder in 2022
I guess they were going to cut him? Doesn't really make sense to me otherwise
(08-30-2021, 08:25 PM)Jagson Wrote: [ -> ]I guess they were going to cut him? Doesn't really make sense to me otherwise

If they feel our secondary will be good enough to where he cannot contribute, I will be happy with that. But that would come as a suprise to me
This makes sense only if he was borderline to make the team but I thought he was a lock. CJ, Shaq, and Tyson are locks. Jones was the next best corner. I thought Herndon was better as nickel than this board gives him credit but Jones seems more versatile. Who else on the roster is better than him? Claybrooks for the special teams? Or are we only rolling with 4 corners and 5/6 safeties?
So the Jags are selling off(trading) the better backups??? I guess "roster depth' is not a major priority?
Such a stupid move! I would expect nothing less from an idiot GM like Trent Baalke though.
Man, this board has a bunch of buzz killers, someone, we got for nothing we get a draft pick. When you look at it truthfully your top three corners are Griffen, Henderson and Campbell then who Herndon if Jones ain't starting what is the loss. Your not touching the top three because of draft capital and money invested
Maybe they have someone in mind on the waivers? A trade?
(08-30-2021, 08:36 PM)Jags@dajugular Wrote: [ -> ]Man, this board has a bunch of buzz killers, someone, we got for nothing we get a draft pick. When you look at it truthfully your top three corners are Griffen, Henderson and Campbell then who Herndon if Jones ain't starting what is the loss. Your not touching the top three because of draft capital and money invested

Campbell can't track a ball to save his life and Jones was light years better than Herndon.
Jones was the 3rd best CB, no question.

Maybe we could have kept Jones and you know... got some help on the O-line instead of drafting a CB who can't track the ball...
Cambell is the 3rd CB and herndon will be 4
Another move that leaves you scratching your head. Why is a team that is nowhere near the salary cap, or overly talented trading away guys for picks that have a low success rate(6-7th rounds)? I get Herndon is serviceable, he can play nickle and I guess Campbell can too? The move still makes no sense, and when these guys get hurt(injuries happen) who do we have depth wise to back them up? I don't get it.
Our GM still thinks Tom Brady is available in the 6th round.
Is this because they want to keep Claybrooks?

Jones is miles better as a corner and we signed Agnew specifically for special teams
Tanking for who?
This board confuses me as week to most on this board wanted him gone because he was getting roasted.
^^ exactly what I was going to write. I saw a lot people complaining about jones getting toasted and that hes not that good when I was in here reading comments about the dallas game
I don't like this move. I liked Sidney Jones better than Tyson Campbell. If nothing else, keep him to push Campbell and for depth or dime coverages. I don't get excited over late round draft picks. Most think we're going to cut this year's sixth rounder.
Perhaps I missed the board last week, because I don't recall many, if any, clamoring for Sidney Jones to get cut.

I thought the general consensus was that Jones was a positive in the secondary, with the one concern was his inability to stay healthy.

I don't like this trade.

Yes, we wound up getting a 6th round pick for a guy we got off waivers.

But his contribution is likely to far outweigh any 6th round pick we draft.

Furthermore, by my count, we now have 4 6th round picks next year: Our own, the Schobert trade, the Minshew trade, and now Jones. Either they have scouted ahead and feel that next year's draft class has a lot of depth, or they are already stockpiling picks to move up.
I think Jones was better than Herndon and Claybrooks, and Campbell, for that matter. He was young enough and cheap enough to make keeping him worthwhile.

Maybe they are clearing up another roster spot for waiver wire pickups.

All told, I would have rather kept Jones.
Tre Herndon and Tyson Campbell are both better corners than Sidney Jones. I think he was part of the top 5 corners but I’m not losing sleep over losing our 5th corner for a pick. That said, I wouldn’t have done it
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6